• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

TUSR

Banned
haven't really been finishing games lately. Dropped MLB 14: The Show after a week, then Watch Dogs after a few days.

I did get back into Red Dead Redemption, which I'll probably finish in a few days.

One of, if not, the greatest games of last generation vs. sports title and boring ass watch dongs.

haven't really been finishing games lately. Dropped MLB 14: The Show after a week, then Watch Dogs after a few days.

I did get back into Red Dead Redemption, which I'll probably finish in a few days.

Good choice. I'm about to read some comics.

I've been guilty of not finishing a lot of shit but I actually got passed the crappy early mission I stopped playing the last Assassin's Creed over and I'm having a good time.

Acid08

Banned
I have like six or seven games going right now, not sure how many I'll actually end up finishing. And I'm gonna buy the One Piece game for Vita this week *siiiiiiigh*

Quick

Banned
One of, if not, the greatest games of last generation vs. sports title and boring ass watch dongs.

RDR still holds up well. I can only imagine how much better it would run on PS4/XB1/PC.

I actually finished the 360 version, and picked up RDR a couple of years ago on PS3 and only got halfway before stopping.

MLB: The Show is one of the better sports titles around. Road To The Show really gets me occupied.

I've been guilty of not finishing a lot of shit but I actually got passed the crappy early mission I stopped playing the last Assassin's Creed over and I'm having a good time.

I also stopped ACIV on PS3. I got to the island full of pirates and stopped. I upgraded my copy to PS4, so I'll have to start over. I didn't really go that far on the PS3 version anyway.

I have like six or seven games going right now, not sure how many I'll actually end up finishing. And I'm gonna buy the One Piece game for Vita this week *siiiiiiigh*

I just remembered that I still have both The Walking Dead Season 2 and The Wolf Among Us on PC to finish, along with the shit ton of PS+ instant game collection stuff I downloaded.

Stasis

I want that white PS4 so bad. The Smelly edition.

I also want Halo Master Chief pack though =/

And I also keep dropping games so fast. Can't stop playing Divinity Original Sin though. So fucking good.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Destiny Beta is fun

barely more content than Alpha though, bummer

I guess they want us to just keep playing PvP and the one Raid until we reach cap

Smiley90

been using a decent laptop for a while now, time to move away from mobile GPUs

Yeah I'm using a G74S, so it's quite capable of games.

I'm starting grad school in the fall though and I'll need my laptop in the lab. And it's too heavy to carry around all the time, soooooooo yah.

Plus, Star Citizen 2015. And Witcher 3.

TUSR

Banned
Yeah I'm using a G74S, so it's quite capable of games.

I'm starting grad school in the fall though and I'll need my laptop in the lab. And it's too heavy to carry around all the time, soooooooo yah.

Plus, Star Citizen 2015. And Witcher 3.

im using a retina macbook pro which has 16GB of ram, 650m, i7, ssd, etc

My current desktop still runs, but it's beginning to really show its age.

What are your budgets?

1500, more if i see a good opportunity.

Smiley90

im using a retina macbook pro which has 16GB of ram, 650m, i7, ssd, etc

1500, more if i see a good opportunity.

1500 would probably be my upper limit. 'cause it's a desktop PC it's not like I can't upgrade individual components.

Stasis

I'm building myself a new one in August too.

I've been without a desktop PC for 5 years. It is time.

Supposedly the new GTX 800 series is releasing in November or close. I'd maybe wait...

I just got a 770 barely 2 months ago too =/

Trying to unload a 570 if you're not going all out, speshul NHL-Gaf price. =P

Smiley90

Supposedly the new GTX 800 series is releasing in November or close. I'd maybe wait...

I just got a 770 barely 2 months ago too =/

Trying to unload a 570 if you're not going all out, speshul NHL-Gaf price. =P

gonna be way too expensive to buy new anyway, no? I can always upgrade later. :p

TUSR

Banned
I definitely don't want to hit $1500, but I want something that's at least decent. I don't know where to start.

there is a whole thread on gaming side thats actually useful

i havent had a really really good computer since the 9800pro came out

I built the core of my PC in April 2011 for about $900. I'm still using the same CPU (i5 2500K), motherboard and memory and it's still getting the job done. I've upgraded my video card a few times, I run a GTX 780 at the moment and that along with the SSD have been so huge in keeping this thing relevant. I'll probably start over again in a few years depending on how much the CPU gets hammered by games, but I'm quite happy with everything to this point.

Calamari41

41 > 38

I usually start up a random new game and quit after an hour or two, blaming my schedule and all of that. But then I'll start a game like Rogue Legacy and put like 28 hours in over the course of a few days. I think most games just suck in general now.

Edit: Oh, building a PC are we? Give me a few minutes and I'll give you some Newegg links.

I just realized that I could be playing the Destiny Beta right now if someone had an extra PS3 key.....

Seriously if you do though, I will take it off your hands. :D

Calamari41

41 > 38
Ok Quick, here you go. These are the parts I used over a year ago, and my shit is still demolishing anything I throw at it. Just hit "add to cart" and you'll be good.

A large capacity Solid State Drive, or two lower capacity ones. This is your most important purchase. It will make your rig virtually noiseless and reduce the heat significantly, not to mention you'll go from cold to opening up Steam in ten seconds flat. Keep your music and shit on an external if you're worried about space. AT LEAST throw in a tiny SSD as a boot drive. Your life will change.

Sapphire 7950 Video Card

Intel i5 Processor

8 GB of DDR3 RAM. You don't need more than that unless you're running shit like Solidworks simulations, just like you don't need an i7 processor over an i5 for the same reason

A good power supply like this one

ASUS Micro ATX motherboard - This one is gone... just pick out a similar one. You need the Micro ATX because you're going to be putting all of this into...

This tiny-ass Silverstone case. It's basically the size of an XBone. This puppy doesn't need case fans, so it stays whisper quiet and I have never once in my year and a half of use had anything close to a heat issue. It sits under my TV like a cable box and blasts out games with fidelities unknown to mankind.

You don't need any CD or BD drives, they are just a waste of space in your case. If you need to use physical media, you can easily get an external and just connect it via USB.

I need one as well. Mine is so old it takes like 10 minutes to get to the desktop I swear.

Yes, this exactly is what the Solid State Drive will change. I had the same problem. I used to get home from work, hit the power button, and then by the time I was done changing and going to the bathroom and all of that I would walk back and it would still be booting up. Now I hit power and I'm looking at my desktop by the time I turn around and sit down.

If nothing else, switch from an HDD to a SSD.

TUSR

Banned
You can plug whatever you want in, just make sure you go with the SSD, Micro ATX, and that amazing case.

would buying a certain mobo to fit into the micro atx case limit upgradeability in the future?

edit: I do like their design for the case's feet.

Calamari41

41 > 38
would buying a certain mobo to fit into the micro atx case limit upgradeability in the future?

Not really, all the micro does is limit the volume of things you can plug in. It just has fewer slots. That is certainly something to think about, but I'm pretty sure it is compatible with pretty much whatever you want to put on it. Correct me if I'm wrong, though, because I haven't researched it since last year when I put this all together.

Edit: Var, can you explain how it limits your ability to upgrade graphics cards? Do you mean that in the sense that you can't dual wield? I'm not challenging you, I'm interested in learning.

Var

Not really, all the micro does is limit the volume of things you can plug in. It just has fewer ports. That is certainly something to think about, but I'm pretty sure it is compatible with pretty much whatever you want to put on it. Correct me if I'm wrong, though, because I haven't researched it since last year when I put this all together.

Edit: Var, can you explain how it limits your ability to upgrade graphics cards? Do you mean that in the sense that you can't dual wield? I'm not challenging you, I'm interested in learning.

I am sure it depends on the specific mobo you buy, but I couldn't get my old 7970 in my gfs MSI micro ATX because the heatsink on her south bridge didn't allow enough room. Admittedly the 7970 is a giant card but it would have needed another half inch at least to fit.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I am sure it depends on the specific mobo you buy, but I couldn't get my old 7970 in my gfs MSI micro ATX because the heatsink on her south bridge didn't allow enough room. Admittedly the 7970 is a giant card but it would have needed another half inch at least to fit.

That makes sense. I haven't had that problem at all with the card I listed earlier, but it could be a possible issue if you wanted to use one of the monster-size cards. It also reminds me of something else to consider when going with a Micro ATX case like the one I have: you will need some good cable management skills. The removal of a CD drive and the use of SSDs clears up a lot of room, though.

I've been doing some reading on ATX vs Micro ATX, and the consensus seems to be that for normal use they are close to identical quality-wise. Anything that works with one will work with the other. The reasons to go with ATX seem to be if you want extra slots and if you don't care about the size of your case, and if you don't mind spending a little extra. It also appears that there are overclocking advantages to going with the normal size, but I'm not into that so I can't speak to it.

For what it's worth, my Micro ATX has plenty of room for the components needed to run any game I throw at it at max settings/60 fps. I'm sure there are and will be cards that won't fit on it, but I have to believe that there will always be solid options available for smaller cards.

Edit: VVVV Freyjadour, Yeah, I wouldn't recommend against going for a full-size case and regular sized mobo. I just wanted to throw the Micro option out there because it was a risk I took and I am really glad I did. If size isn't an issue, then you won't be hurting yourself by going with the normal size.

And that is a great site you linked to, lots of info. For anyone new to building a PC, don't let all of the information overwhelm you. Putting together a PC is pretty easy nowadays. The majority of the research needed is just to figure out if your parts are all compatible with each other. Beyond that, you're basically putting it together like Legos.

Most recommended cards nowadays are huge. Unless you're going for a low profile HTPC or something, I'd get a nice comfy case that has more than enough room for anything you'd want in it and cable management.

Also, this site seems pretty cool. Kind of like the Build Your Own PC thread without all the spreadsheeting: http://pangoly.com/en/

Calamari41

41 > 38
Ok I've been doing a lot more reading on this ATX vs Micro ATX deal and from what I am gathering on various tech blogs and forums, the only main concern for the future seems to be that most of the Micros won't be able to use SLI/Crossfire (basically a system that allows multiple GPUs to be connected and act as one). I would look into that and decide if that is something you think you'll be getting into in the future. Nobody is saying that future GPUs won't physically fit on them, but again that is also a possibility having more to do with the size of the case than the size of the mobo.

Top Bottom