• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

zroid

Banned
Toronto vs Ottawa? Eh I'll watch it

will be worth it for the salty Ottawan tears when they lose their debut home opener

I built a system very similar to Calamari's specs back in 2012. Last year I replaced the vcard and switched from AMD to Nvidia, and am much happier with the latter than I ever was with the former.

I think I'll go SSD on my next build in 2-3 years.

Quick

Banned
I did everything on Newegg Canada, and I'm at $983 without a case.

My cheapness is cringing.

Fake edit: I did do 512GB of SSD, which is one of the more expensive components.

zedge

Toronto vs Ottawa? Eh I'll watch it

will be worth it for the salty Ottawan tears when they lose their debut home opener
Heh. Well at least they will have more than 12k fans. Toronto attendance is worst in league. ;)

Lansdowne looks great! So jealous. McMahon is such poop hole. Everyone has new or upgraded stadiums except us. :(

zroid

Banned
Heh. Well at least they will have more than 12k fans. Toronto attendance is worst in league. ;)

Lansdowne looks great! So jealous. McMahon is such poop hole. Everyone has new or upgraded stadiums except us. :(

Yeah it doesn't surprise me, I don't know anyone here who gives a shit about the Argos :lol

Fake edit: I did do 512GB of SSD, which is one of the more expensive components.

I would go with 256GB, 512GB is overkill. Just throw in a regular hard drive for cheap storage. Heck, I use a 128GB for Windows/programs (but use 256GB for gaming)

Everything else in Calamari's list is good.

My rig is 3rd gen i7 with 16GB and ATX parts but otherwise similar.

Actually this seems like a cool thing to do if you want to run a Steambox or run Hyperspin. Awhile back I acquired a hard drive with all the video files/artwork for everything in Hyperspin but haven't put it to use yet.

Quick

Banned
I haven't been interested in PC gaming much (outside of Telltale's games) since my rig hasn't been good enough for the past couple of years.

I figure it's time to build a new one. Won't just be for gaming, but having a good rig is important. I also want to hook up a controller. I have a spare 360 controller that I'll need to get that wireless dongle for (hopefully it still exists by the time I get this all put together).

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Any of you guys run often?

I've grown up wearing skate shoes, then transferred to casual sneakers and haven't worn a pair of running shoes in twenty years or so but I feel like buying some so I can start to casually run.

Is there anything specific I should be looking for in a good running shoe?

I've grown up wearing skate shoes, then transferred to casual sneakers and haven't worn a pair of running shoes in twenty years or so but I feel like buying some so I can start to casually run.

My girl runs marathons and she always goes for shoes that have good bounce. She told me that they could border on not fitting right, but if they had the right amount of push back when she put her feet on the ground she would still prefer them over a proper size.

My suggestion would be to go somewhere that will analyze your feet on video while running and show you where you need support in your gait before anything. Places like The Running Center will do this for free and then recommend shoes based on your particular needs (bad arches, pronation, etc). After that it's 100% about comfort.

Calamari41

41 > 38

That's not too bad considering they are still very good components, but yeah. If you don't like that number, go way small with the SSD as a dedicated boot drive or just have that as a future upgrade.

Socreges

Banned
Weirdest thing to be on the road for days without internet (phone has 4G but not in Big Sur...) and come back and find a horrible plane crash and a new Israeli offensive!

... Any trades/signings?

Socreges

Banned
Pickles, we're in San Diego now and your PM is one of our references. Heading to La Jolla right now and staying in Point Loma tonight where we'll probably have dinner at Stone's bistro. Thanks again for that awesome writeup!

Socreges

Banned
Cleary got traded to the Canucks, but that was about it.
dont_believe_you_anchorman.gif
we had a persona waifu war
That's awesome man

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
My girl runs marathons and she always goes for shoes that have good bounce. She told me that they could border on not fitting right, but if they had the right amount of push back when she put her feet on the ground she would still prefer them over a proper size.

My suggestion would be to go somewhere that will analyze your feet on video while running and show you where you need support in your gait before anything. Places like The Running Center will do this for free and then recommend shoes based on your particular needs (bad arches, pronation, etc). After that it's 100% about comfort.

Thanks.

I doubt there are any places near me with that technology but I'll do some research.

RC

Banned
Man its good to be back from Saskatoon. My flight was cancelled last night due to a prairie thunderstorm. But in line waiting for our hotel and food vouchers I met a former Olympian (Amy Gough) and the Canadian long drive champ. They waited in line for 2 hours just like the rest of us.

Socreges

Banned
Awww shit. How has LA/SD been so far? I saw you werent too big on SF.
We skipped LA altogether. Not enough time unfortunately and FUCK the highways. We deliberately drove through late at 11pm and traffic was still insane. Then it ground to a standstill as 6 lanes were narrowed to 2.... we eventually realized everyone was bring kicked off the I5 and rerouted! What the fuck LA! Took us some time to find our way back.

Amazing trip otherwise. California is incredible. San Diego has been sweet so far - unfortunately we have to be back in San Francisco by Sunday night.

zedge

Man its good to be back from Saskatoon. My flight was cancelled last night due to a prairie thunderstorm. But in line waiting for our hotel and food vouchers I met a former Olympian (Amy Gough) and the Canadian long drive champ. They waited in for 2 hours just like the rest of us.

I like how you emphasize "prairie thunderstorm" like its special or something. ;)

RC

Banned
I like how you emphasize "prairie thunderstorm" like its special or something. ;)

It was special enough to cancel our flight. Apparently the thunder and lightening made it too dangerous for the Westjet ground crew to load our luggage into the plane. Of course it wasn't too dangerous for Air Canada. They took off and in time.

zedge

It was special enough to cancel our flight. Apparently the thunder and lightening made it too dangerous for the Westjet ground crew to load our luggage into the plane. Of course it wasn't too dangerous for Air Canada. They took off and in time.

Heh, well we had some wicked storms here yesterday, along with tornado watches. Always the case with hot weather here. So smokey right now though, all the forest fires going on.

WestJet is always late due to weather or something. I flew them so many times out of Toronto and Calgary and they're always delayed when other carriers are not.

At least they're super nice about it though.

zedge

Go Redblacks! ;)

Go Stamps!

WestJet is always late due to weather or something. I flew them so many times out of Toronto and Calgary and they're always delayed when other carriers are not.

At least they're super nice about it though.

WestJet is awesome though. Air Canada is pure trash.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Me neither. And they usually have free movies on demand and a place to charge your phone even in economy.

With Westjet you have to swipe your credit card to recline your seat. /sarcasm
This has been my experience as well, but I've always flown out of Toronto so maybe it's different? Surprised to see so many preferring Westjet.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
... you guys are weird. Let's get back to PC hardware talk. What do you guys think of this setup, following the mATX advice. Last 2 PC's I had were full towers, PC before that was mATX.... I'm going back to Micro.

Motherboard (don't need 2xPCI-16, not gonna run SLI in an mATX anyway)

240GB SSD

1TB HDD

8GB DDR3-1600

i5 4670K

GTX770

750W PSU

and.....

This case. Maybe I'll change it, but I like it. It's not going in my living room anyway so it doesn't have to look like a dvd player. this would be the first time I'm going without a cd/dvd drive, I won't miss it.

All together would clock in at 1231.- CAD before shipping, which is well within my budget of 1500.- To upgrade, maybe go from 4670K to 4770K? GTX770 to 780? Bigger SSD? Not quite sure if I want/need it.

input is very welcome.

Top Bottom