• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Samyy

I'm not a big fan of anyone who is an advocate for garbage stats

But it's an improvement over loiselle and poulin either way

5c22RvF.gif

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Dopey being Steve Simmons makes too much sense.

Actually I am a huge proponent of actual Advanced Stats (like the one I proposed but I can't really create because of the time investment needed)

CORSI and FENWICK are basically Nostradamus stats

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
LOISELLE AND POULIN ARE GONE!!! Replaced by a baby-faced 28 year old Asst GM. I can't imagine Nonis had much say in this pick and I think it serves as notice to Nonis just like the new asst coaches are to Carlyle.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I for one am shocked after everyone told me Shanahan was shit for not doing anything since he was hired.

Who knew it takes more than a few weeks to start making changes?

DopeyFish

I for one am shocked after everyone told me Shanahan was shit for not doing anything since he was hired.

carlyle and nonis are still there....

phaneuf and clarkson are still there...

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

The fact that Carlyle is still the coach, and that they were prepared to give Bolland the money they were are still bad signs, but this seems to be a pretty massive shift in the right direction.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
carlyle and nonis are still there....

phaneuf and clarkson are still there...
Craplyle and Nonuts are on notice.

Phaneuf is a top 4 D man we couldn't afford to lose unless we got another high tier D man in return. Deal with it.

Clarkson has an albatross of a contract that can't be bought out and no GM in his right mind would trade for. We 'could' retain salary, but that would depend on Clarkson agreeing to the team. There is essentially very very little Nonis can do at this point. Deal with it.

yyzjohn

Banned
Craplyle and Nonuts are on notice.

Phaneuf is a top 4 D man we couldn't afford to lose unless we got another high tier D man in return. Deal with it.

Clarkson has an albatross of a contract that can't be bought out and no GM in his right mind would trade for. We 'could' retain salary, but that would depend on Clarkson agreeing to the team. There is essentially very very little Nonis can do at this point. Deal with it.

Exactly. Shanahan has replaced all of Carlyle and Nonis's assistants with guys who he picked. They're on a short leash and it's a clear indication that the system of play must change. There's no way they can just dump Phaneuf and Clarkson and magically get back pieces that make sense. The cap hits aren't going away.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
We should hire Dopey as GM.

I think he has an idea of how to get rid of Clarkson and Phaneuf while not taking on much salary.

Samyy

We should hire Dopey as GM.

I think he has an idea of how to get rid of Clarkson and Phaneuf while not taking on much salary.

I want someone to explain to me who the hell would play Phaneuf's minutes if we got rid of him.
Everyone rags on him but he plays our hardest minutes and he plays a ton of them and any other D-man on this time right now would not be able to handle it.

yyzjohn

Banned
Best part about this was, there were no rumors out there days beforehand. This came as a total shock. Shanahan keeps the cards close to his vest. Hopefully this is another change in how the Leafs do business. Too many times the media has rumours out there and "sources" within the Leafs organization with their own agendas. Darren Dreger cut off.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Best part about this was, there were no rumors out there days beforehand. This came as a total shock. Shanahan keeps the cards close to his vest. Hopefully this is another change in how the Leafs do business. Too many times the media has rumours out there and "sources" within the Leafs organization with their own agendas. Darren Dreger cut off.

The media would lose their shit and I'd love it.

Technically it's already happening in Toronto.

There aren't many Raptors leaks. To the point at the draft the Raptors were the only team that didn't get their pick spoiled via Twitter.

AA for the Jays keeps things close to the vest as well.

If it happened to the Leafs you might see the media revolt.

DopeyFish

I want someone to explain to me who the hell would play Phaneuf's minutes if we got rid of him.
Everyone rags on him but he plays our hardest minutes and he plays a ton of them and any other D-man on this time right now would not be able to handle it.

The sanest answer is rolling.

20 minutes a pairing

If you rely on one guy and are losing... either the guy is incompetent at his job (true, in this case) or the system is screwed up (also true in this case)

Phaneuf has size and reach, that's it. He has poor hockey IQ, poor awareness, poor skating and stickhandling. Dude has tools but doesn't use them.

Forces turnovers in his own zone, blows positioning in neutral zone due to overcommitting... puts an insane amount of pressure on his defensive partner... you remember his decent 5v5 stats? Almost all gunnarsson. Remember every damn instance without gunnar the last few years? Kostka, Franson, Holzer, etc. Remember the game gardiner got sent down to the marlies when phaneuf made an absolutely awful pass and everyone seemed to blame gardiner for it?

People keep making excuses for him and I'm sick of it. He's like fucking brett lebda but puts up points and can actually somewhat control the offensive blue line when he isn't being lazy taking 5 seconds to shift from his backhand to forehand.

He still has trade value for another 2.5 months... but when the season starts we are going to lose all chance of ever trading him.

We are going to be bottom 5 this year.

Red_Man

Not sure if it was posted yesterday before your public flogging on the new guy, but Tim Peel joined twitter yesterday and closed his account already :lol :lol

Shanahan's moves seem so calculated. Carlyle and Nonis are (inexplicably) popular guys in the org and with the Toronto media. By culling only the assistant's he's avoided some pretty major battles and controversies.

Too many times the media has rumours out there and "sources" within the Leafs organization with their own agendas. Darren Dreger cut off.

Don't forget Cox and Simmons.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Sharks fans are always nice and fun to talk to when they come visit the Pond. They cheer loud but they're not dicks. If I'm being honest most of the time they're overwhelmingly 20-something nerds, which isn't an insult. Much better than the Coyotes fan who comes when Phoenix is visiting.

Red_Man

Sharks fans are always nice and fun to talk to when they come visit the Pond. They cheer loud but they're not dicks. If I'm being honest most of the time they're overwhelmingly 20-something nerds, which isn't an insult. Much better than the Coyote* fan who comes when Phoenix is visiting.
FTFY.

calder

Random aside: TWO MORE YEARS! TWO MORE YEARS! WOO!

847225202.gif

EDIT: oh god I meant three. Three!! Even while joking about to mask the pain my mind recoils from the unbearable reality in a futile attempt to shield itself.

Fuuuuuu, I just bought a Wii U but apparently I got my Wii remotes at my parents place :(

Is cross region play possible?

I got MK8, ZombiU and Nintendoland and if any of them supports it and you would like to play some time, hit me up!

cube444

Sharks fans are always nice and fun to talk to when they come visit the Pond. They cheer loud but they're not dicks. If I'm being honest most of the time they're overwhelmingly 20-something nerds, which isn't an insult. Much better than the Coyotes fan who comes when Phoenix is visiting.

z2I3mS6.jpg

Top Bottom