• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

The Leafs' replacement of their assistant GM/coaches seems more like a temporary fix to a bigger problem. I guess Shanahan thinks the team is closer than he thinks and he just needs to make minor adjustments.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The Leafs' replacement of their assistant GM/coaches seems more like a temporary fix to a bigger problem. I guess Shanahan thinks the team is closer than he thinks and he just needs to make minor adjustments.
Apparently he wanted to clean house for the management in a year and then hire Dubas, but another NHL team was going to go after Dubas and he didn't want to let him go.

zroid

Banned

That's not really the impression I'm getting to be honest. Cleaning house of every assistant coach and GM is a weird change; it's not minor, but it's also not a compete overhaul. Clearly it's more like grooming talented prospects for larger roles if the experienced veterans can't adapt. This year is probably going to be a test for both Carlyle and Nonis, while at the same time a tryout for their new assistants.

yyzjohn

Banned

Shanahan knows the Leafs are nowhere near being a great team now, what's the point of totally cleaning house with just 3 months on the job? He's bringing in his guys slowly, and has the people to replace Carlyle or Nonis when he thinks the time is right. If Shanahan has his sights on Babcock like many suggest, there's no point in firing Carlyle now and having a temp coach for a year only to hire Babcock next season.

I hope the Leafs tank right from the start.

llnhilc.jpg

Red_Man

Bernier / Reimer are too good to out tank a handful of teams, and as always, Edmonton will give it a good shot.

Good point about Shanahan, he may be waiting to bring in his own guy and by firing the assistants he's telling Nonis and Carlyle that they're on thin ice and if they don't perform, they're the next to go. I was comparing him to Linden, who quickly brought in his own guys after being hired.

David Booth is a Leaf

Ok?

Toronto Maple Leafs ‏@MapleLeafs 29s

. @SportChek Player Alert: #Leafs sign David Booth to a 1 year contract http://bit.ly/1lrATyf #TMLtalk

I think he could be a pleasant surprise if he stays healthy. He can play with Santorelli on an ex-Canuck line.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
This year's Raymond

Potentially better than raymond

Booth was pretty damn good in florida but ehhhh in vancouver

I just hope we get booth from florida. I used to want him on the leafs.

I'm kinda hoping we can get another reclamation in dustin penner or something.

I don't really mind loading up on low risk third liners... a guy who can score 10-20 goals is better than orr and mclaren

Red_Man

When's the last time a team signed an aging and often injured vet, who returned to their former glory after signing a new contract?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
When's the last time a team signed an aging and often injured vet, who returned to their former glory after signing a new contract?

Sami Salo totally didn't get injured in Tampa

Totally

On a serious note, Jagr is still doing good

Red_Man

So as long as the guy is a future hall of famer, and one of the greatest players of all time, you should be ok.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I think we just need to look at booth as a replacement to kulemin.

Does booth have a defensive game at all?

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-kadri-frattin
Booth-kontiola-Santorelli
Komarov-holland-clarkson

Depending on how good kontiola is, and if we can purge all the crap LA Kings did to frattin, we may have 3 solid scoring lines

And no defense

But let's be honest, we tried defense and suck at it so we're better off outscoring and outhitting the competition

I'm tempted to do a full writeup of our trip. Been mostly uneventful (no crazy drunken stories), but has given to some funny and interesting thoughts about the cities and America generally. Experiencing the West coast so quickly gives you a false sense of presence, if that makes any sense, but provides that abstract perspective where comparisons are really easily made. There's no acclimatising to a place so it's like we're floating above each city and observing its idiosyncracies, both good and bad.

^^^^ you should definitely do this, love reading travelogues.

gaming_noob

I want to see a top two line of:

James Van Riemsdyk - Ryan O'Rielly - Phil Kessel
Andrew Ladd - William Nylander - Connor Brown

Sick sick lines.

Socreges

Banned
Fuuuuuu, I just bought a Wii U but apparently I got my Wii remotes at my parents place :(

Is cross region play possible?

I got MK8, ZombiU and Nintendoland and if any of them supports it and you would like to play some time, hit me up!
NHL-GAF should get an MK8 game going again soon. I'm back next week

This year's Raymond
No. Raymond was never garbage. Always had the potential to score.

Potentially better than raymond

Booth was pretty damn good in florida but ehhhh in vancouver

I just hope we get booth from florida. I used to want him on the leafs.

I'm kinda hoping we can get another reclamation in dustin penner or something.

I don't really mind loading up on low risk third liners... a guy who can score 10-20 goals is better than orr and mclaren
You are hilarious

Top Bottom