• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Oh god I clicked on an OT thread! WHY DID I DO THAT?!

indo6tA2peDeG.gif

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Gaming side is dangerous territory too these days after that Polygon op-ed.

I wandered over there to read about Destiny, and damn if that thread isn't next level bonkers.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
-zone starts
-quality of competition
-possession numbers (Corsi, Fenwick)

Zone starts isn't an advanced stat.
QoC wasn't used in decision making process. We call that part "line matching"
Corsi/Fenwick shown after the fact but not used in decision making process.

All corsi/fenwick does is suggest something may not be working. It doesn't really tell you what's wrong, if there's anything. It basically ends up as "try something else"

EDIT: The edit button is right there gosh

I do believe we're all going to jail for loading that image.

"They say it's dangerous to swallow the cum of foreigners"

God dammit Smiley.

Those stats aren't advanced stats, they are complimentary stats

Hence why i call them garbage stats because they aren't useful. They are about as useful as +/-

If you were a GM and were shown your teams corsi stats, how would you be able to use it to improve your team? How do they show your weaknesses and strengths? They really don't.

If you were a coach and were shown your corsi stats, how would you coach your team differently? Everything is systemic, stat is heavily reliant on team play and can't give you specific clues what to change... they are still forced to look at tape and identify/correct mistakes

It's all relevant to their position and playstyle. They can show who can handle a puck properly and who is a goof that has every pass go tape to tape (to the oppositions tape).

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Short answer is "you're wrong" but I really don't feel like getting into it in detail right now.

Possession can be improved simply by having the puck more. This includes, but is not limited to, controlling the puck through the neutral zone rather than dumping it in, forcing the opponent to dump the puck in or otherwise turn it over, controlling play along the boards, etc.

I'll post the full article that the McCann quote was from. It is very clear that these metrics provide valuable insight into a player's strengths, weaknesses and overall ability.

http://canucksarmy.com/2014/7/7/get-to-know-a-prospect-jared-mccann-not-jared-mccan-t

All the things you listed are effects of systems, not of players... with the exception of "controlling the play on the boards" and every one of those things are done via tape.

Also, none of those stats are advanced stats. Want to know what an advanced stat would be? zone entry by possession which lead to a scoring chance relative to zone entry by dump in which leads to a scoring chance with a breakdown of potential offensive output (average attempt), actual offensive (success rate) output and variance as a team or player by player compared to league average

That... that is an advanced stat.

Not zone entry.
Not corsi.

Socreges

Banned
Same.

And Timedog stuff. It's probably because it's all a GAF inside joke that either people actually are in on it, or people pretend to be.
I think they all know each other through IRC. Just a guess though since otherwise it does seem randomly insular

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
no i use the Timedog Algorithm, which i guess is kind of sort of like googling myself with targeted searches via automated proxy.

i hope the Wayne Gretsky made a lot of touchdowns this year!!!

Stet

Banned
sometimes i wish google alerts could be housed in a stuffed animal so you could pat them every time they did a good job

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
4th Period said:
Colorado & O'Reilly avoid arbitration... agree to a 2-year deal. He'll make $5.8M next year and $6.2M in year 2.
Guess he's not such an asshole anymore.

Top Bottom