• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Remember when somebody asked Brad Richards about Toronto the year he was a UFA? Same shit.

Edit: here it is, even more direct than Stamkos
It's a little different with Richards being from PEI, and Stamkos from Markham. I could actually see Stamkos doing it, or maybe it's just my subconscious motivation to see Leaf fans disappointed in 2 years.

ZeroGravity

Everyone says the same thing about someday playing for the Leafs, but when the time actually comes, they stop and look at the fact that it's a franchise that hasn't won anything in half a century and is in a constant state of spinning its tires. That's hard to commit to for eight years when you're either in an already better situation, or there are teams with a better track record for winning who also want you.

I'm assuming you're referring to his "things will happen" comment about Michael Sam.

He's always annoyed me on TV with his sanctimonious shtick. I'm not really surprised that he would say what he said.

Didn't see the whole thing. Just what a host from a sports station here tweeted.

Dan Bernstein @dan_bernstein
Dungy is just horrible: "I don't agree with his lifestyle." Being gay is as much a "lifestyle" as being black is, Tony. You cretin.

the fact they were able to settle on 6/year avg makes me think hes going to stick around.

Here's what I find very interesting about the situation: As soon as O'Reilly and Sakic are face to face something fair gets done almost immediately. Up until that point, when only dealing with his agent (going by what Sakic and Radar had said) there's nothing but drama surrounding the situation and no talks of being even close to settling something. It didn't even face an arbitrator and O'Reilly got nearly a million less than he was going to present to the arbitrator. It's a fucking weird situation but I really think Morris is to blame for almost all of it.

TUSR

Banned
Here's what I find very interesting about the situation: As soon as O'Reilly and Sakic are face to face something fair gets done almost immediately. Up until that point, when only dealing with his agent (going by what Sakic and Radar had said) there's nothing but drama surrounding the situation and no talks of being even close to settling something.

ROR confirmed crushing on Sakic?

It's a little different with Richards being from PEI, and Stamkos from Markham. I could actually see Stamkos doing it, or maybe it's just my subconscious motivation to see Leaf fans disappointed in 2 years.

The point is these stars (yes, Richards was good before the Rangers) get stuff like this often by the Canadian media as they approach free agency.

Leafs GAF I still love you guys though!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
God I hope Stamkos says he'll consider playing for the Leafs but then changes his mind at the last second, Iginla-style.

Spl1nter

Tavares and Stamkos rumors about coming to the leafs are going to get crazy as they come to UFA status. I think its a lot more likely Tavares leaves the Isles than Stamkos leaves Tampa - to another team in general.

ROR will go wherever the most money is available.

Quick

Banned
Didn't see the whole thing. Just what a host from a sports station here tweeted.

Dan Bernstein @dan_bernstein
Dungy is just horrible: "I don't agree with his lifestyle." Being gay is as much a "lifestyle" as being black is, Tony. You cretin.

Yeah, I'm really not surprised by his comments.

jbvN6s4YkY3n6t.PNG

Johnson has the best twitter account on the team. Glad the O'reilly situation is done for a year at least. Sakic said there was no animosity between the two parties, I doubt that's exactly true, pretty sure the Morris bashed the team on CBC. Though Sakic always takes the high road, which is good in dealing with players present and future, players won't turn their nose up at playing here.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Tavares and Stamkos rumors about coming to the leafs are going to get crazy as they come to UFA status. I think its a lot more likely Tavares leaves the Isles than Stamkos leaves Tampa - to another team in general.

ROR will go wherever the most money is available.

Other way around

Stamkos is far more likely to leave than tavares is

Both may leave or neither may leave... Tavares i don't hear or read much of in toronto area but stamkos is always showing up at functions around toronto and hanging around leafs players. It's strange to me and coupled with the buying early UFA... it seems like a possibility. He's still a die hard leafs fan and it shows with how he carries himself. Tavares did buy early UFA too but I just don't feel like it's his intentions to jump to TO... more for keeping options open.

I would go nuts if we got one let alone both. Probably kill myself by overdoing the celebration or something.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Other way around

Stamkos is far more likely to leave than tavares is

Both may leave or neither may leave... Tavares i don't hear or read much of in toronto area but stamkos is always showing up at functions around toronto and hanging around leafs players. It's strange to me and coupled with the buying early UFA... it seems like a possibility. He's still a die hard leafs fan and it shows with how he carries himself. Tavares did buy early UFA too but I just don't feel like it's his intentions to jump to TO... more for keeping options open.

I would go nuts if we got one let alone both. Probably kill myself by overdoing the celebration or something.
We'll get them both when they're both washed up in their late 30s like we did with Lindros.

DopeyFish

We'll get them both when they're both washed up in their late 30s like we did with Lindros.

It was sad when he was doing so well with the leafs and then gets an injury to his wrist that eventually ends his career. (down the road)

Nobody saw that man being forced out by a wrist injury.

You're right, I can't believe he showed up to practice with Leaf face paint on.

Because wearing facepaint and attending practices is the requisite for being a die hard leafs fan? I have done neither, and I live like 5 blocks from the leafs practice facility (and was attending closed door fundraisers for it, too)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm gonna go watch Edge of Tomorrow tonight. YOU GUYS BETTER NOT HAVE LIED ABOUT IT.

DopeyFish

Remember when somebody asked Brad Richards about Toronto the year he was a UFA? Same shit.

Edit: here it is, even more direct than Stamkos

Yeah, but there's a difference here. Leafs didn't think Richards was worth $7.8 million a year. They were offering him something like $5.5-6 million. Considering how he turned out for NYR.... don't blame them.

Burke was having a ball that day saying some of the offers were ridiculous.

You think if stamkos hits open market they will be offering lower than tampa? They're going to throw their bank account at him.

Top Bottom