• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I, for one, welcome our 2016 future with 72 year old Markov at 1D.
If he only signs one year, I doubt he makes it that far. They'll want to move him as soon as they can with this contract.

I never thought a situation between the Habs and Subban would come to this. Not in a million years.
I would have bet some serious amount of cash it never would have come this far. I have no fucking clue what Bergevin is thinking. He still has time to salvage this though.

Cake Boss

Banned
Who has the cap space and draft picks to get him????

401404804b62f2b2e2.jpg

Too bad we have no mullah, because Dat Norrisson and Subbutt pairing would look splooge worthy

Solo

Next summer will be even nastier. Provided Subban doesn't regress, I can see his $8.5M jumping another mil.

He won't be signing any discount here.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Arizona? Winnipeg? Islanders?
Arizona: LOL! They actually have the money?
Peg: They possibly could, but their GM is an idiot and does virtually nothing
Isles: Internal cap/cheap owner?

401404804b62f2b2e2.jpg

Too bad we have no mullah, because Dat Norrisson and Subbutt pairing would look splooge worthy

Sens: Internal caps be a bitch!

It's done. Fuck this.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

GG, Habs! Never knew a team with that much cap space and owners with tons of money to cheap out on a Norris winner.

Red_Man

As I said. Subban is still an RFA after this one year contract.

He will be resigned long term next year for big money
All part of the process
Nah. Subban's done here. Habs have shown they don't believe in him, he'll go dominate somewhere where management actually appreciates him.

How would Habs fans react if Subban was traded for the 1st or 2nd overall 2015 pick?
For McDavid? Maybe, but any other year I'd want 3+ marquee pieces. The only other D I hold at Subban's level right now is Doughty.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Hi friends. I've been in Jamaica for the last week.

Currently in Montego Bay waiting for my flight.

Red man, Solo I'm here for you guys. I give out excellent hugs!

As I said. Subban is still an RFA after this one year contract.

He will be resigned long term next year for big money
All part of the process

If you want Subban long term, you sign him now before the cap (and the asking price for a #1 D) rises again. The only two reasons you don't do that are if you either don't want Subban long term or you're a fucking moron.

TrueGrime

In all honesty, if I was Subban I would not sign a long term deal. MT and the Habs have treated him like shit. This is just the icing on the cake.

Erdrick

I remember ages ago, when Bob Essensa went to arbitration with the old Jets. I forget which side was favoured but honestly, no one won. He was never the same after that. We eventually traded him and the terrible Sergei Bautin to the Wings for an equally shell-shocked Tim Chevaldae (Who was actually getting death threats in Detroit at the time, due to his poor play) and Dallas Drake. Then Essensa played absolutely horrible for them in the playoffs that year and the Sharks destroyed them. At least he doesn't begrudge us fans, as he had nothing but nice words for our city when I spoke with him last fall.

Arbitrations have a good way of ruining relationships between parties since a lot of it is telling one party how little they think they are worth. I've been to enough in my life to have seen the heated arguments.

Not looking good for Habs fans this day... Is why I was so glad none of the Jets have gone that route. Hope things can be repaired and he sticks with the Habs. I really can't imagine him anywhere else.

Red_Man

In all honesty, if I was Subban I would not sign a long term deal. MT and the Habs have treated him like shit. This is just the icing on the cake.
I would agree with you, except for we still haven't heard the numbers. I'm 90% sure your case is right, but if it comes out that Subban was really asking for $10 M for 8 years or something stupid like that, then it changes the perspective of this. I expect the numbers to leak if he was asking for a ridiculous number, Bergevin will need any support he can get after this clusterfuck.

Solo

I just can't imagine how awful arbitration must feel for a player. I mean, here's the GM and execs who've been kissing and/or blowimg smoke up your ass your whole career suddenly going in raw and ruthlessly on any weaknesses in your game or character.

Red_Man

If somehow we get fucked into taking scraps for Subban in a trade because he's threatening us with going to UFA, I may have to stop watching hockey for a while.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I would agree with you, except for we still haven't heard the numbers. I'm 90% sure your case is right, but if it comes out that Subban was really asking for $10 M for 8 years or something stupid like that, then it changes the perspective of this. I expect the numbers to leak if he was asking for a ridiculous number, Bergevin will need any support he can get after this clusterfuck.

That's a ridiculous quote. That's the sort of amount someone would provide if they don't want to play for that city/team anymore.

On the other hand, 1 year around 5 mil after getting him for 2 years at around 2.5 is also a joke.

Red_Man

You tell the 29 teams that Subban is available and you're going to get value back.
You never get the value back with players of these caliber, especially if teams know he wants out, or will just leave in another year.

On the other hand, 1 year around 5 mil after getting him for 2 years at around 2.5 is also a joke.
People on twitter seem to think the arbitrator will give him more than Weber, maybe I'll be wrong and they will give him $8 M.

Erdrick

Peg: They possibly could, but their GM is an idiot and does virtually nothing

Not sold on the idiot part but you're spot on with "doing nothing" assessment. When your best trade has been getting rid of Johnny Oduya like 3 years ago, it's pretty sad. I know Red Wings fans say they've had a lousy offseason, but I'd seriously contest that with our own. One signing for a new player, losing a very capable backup goalie and a bunch of one year contracts do not inspire confidence. We're essentially the same team, but likely worse. Since I think every other team in our division has improved...

Course, I could be wrong and maybe our GM will somehow get Subban and Budaj or Tokarski for like... a draft pick and Pavelec tomorrow. That'd be insanely stupid on Montreal's part of course...

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
You never get the value back with players of these caliber, especially if teams know he wants out, or will just leave in another year.

People on twitter seem to think the arbitrator will give him more than Weber, maybe I'll be wrong and they will give him $8 M.

I have a feeling he won't get that much. But if he did...wow...GG...good way to burn your bridges there.

Not sold on the idiot part but you're spot on with "doing nothing" assessment. When your best trade has been getting rid of Johnny Oduya like 3 years ago, it's pretty sad. I know Red Wings fans say they've had a lousy offseason, but I'd seriously contest that with our own. One signing for a new player, losing a very capable backup goalie and a bunch of one year contracts do not inspire confidence. We're essentially the same team, but likely worse. Since I think every other team in our division has improved...

Course, I could be wrong and maybe our GM will somehow get Subban and Budaj or Tokarski for like... a draft pick and Pavelec tomorrow. That'd be insanely stupid on Montreal's part of course...

You guys were much better off with Dudley.

Bergie is cheap, but not stupid. Why would ANYONE want Pavelec?????

Top Bottom