• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

gaming_noob

I feel like we're going to be hearing about the "rejuvenated" Phaneuf after he starts playing for his new team.

Meh. Doesn't matter to the Leafs if he can't perform here. Colby Armstrong and Darcy Tucker's (finally!) buyouts are finally cleared. The Leafs will probably have to pay 1 - 1.5M per year of Phaneuf's contract in order to get a decent return. Phaneuf at 5.5M for the next 7 years is a very good contract.

Phaneuf for Oiler's 3rd overall. One of Bennett/Reinhart without having to touch the first line, Kadri or Gardiner!

Silexx

The 6th Sens ‏@6thSens 1h

Making Jason Spezza the fall guy for the leadership void created by the organization dicking Alfredsson around is hilarious.

Bonk's Mullet ‏@BonksMullet 1h

I agree with @6thSens. It's time for Spezza to go, but painting it as a leadership issue is nothing but a PR move.

Yeah, this is pretty much what I feel.

Hey CHL fans I have a question.

So the Memorial Cup is the juniors Stanley Cup, right? A mini tournament featuring the Q winner, the W winner, and the O winner, along with the host team?

How do they figure out who plays who in the first round?

And what happens if the host team is also the winner of, say, the OHL? Who would be the fourth team?

Or am I totally off-base in everything I am saying and embarrassing myself?

ZeroGravity

Hey CHL fans I have a question.

So the Memorial Cup is the juniors Stanley Cup, right? A mini tournament featuring the Q winner, the W winner, and the O winner, along with the host team?

How do they figure out who plays who in the first round?

And what happens if the host team is also the winner of, say, the OHL? Who would be the fourth team?

Or am I totally off-base in everything I am saying and embarrassing myself?
Memorial Cup has a round robin in the first round. Every team plays every other team once. Winner moves on to the final, last place team is eliminated, and the two remaining play a semi-final game.

If the host team wins their league, then the runner-up in that league advances to the Memorial Cup as well.

Memorial Cup has a round robin in the first round. Every team plays every other team once. Winner moves on to the final, last place team is eliminated, and the two remaining play a semi-final game.

If the host team wins their league, then the runner-up in that league advances to the Memorial Cup as well.

Ah that sounds awesome. Thanks for the help.

cube444

Nonads signed Phaneuf so he stays. Leafs are a complete joke. Nonads and Carlyle should both be fired yet here they are still alive and making moves.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Meh. Doesn't matter to the Leafs if he can't perform here. Colby Armstrong and Darcy Tucker's (finally!) buyouts are finally cleared. The Leafs will probably have to pay 1 - 1.5M per year of Phaneuf's contract in order to get a decent return. Phaneuf at 5.5M for the next 7 years is a very good contract.

Phaneuf for Oiler's 3rd overall. One of Bennett/Reinhart without having to touch the first line, Kadri or Gardiner!
Oilers are terrible but not stupid. It'd also leave a gaping hole in defense, which we may fill by overpaying for Niskanen, which puts us in the same situation. Maybe Florida might be a better choice, if we threw in our first?

Samyy

Oilers are terrible but not stupid. It'd also leave a gaping hole in defense, which we may fill by overpaying for Niskanen, which puts us in the same situation. Maybe Florida might be a better choice, if we threw in our first?

Florida is also not stupid, in fact I'd bet Oilers are stupider.

1st- Niskanen is taking his talents to South Beach.

2nd- Want no part of Phaneauf. Term is way too long and stupidly overpaid. That would leave a 14 million dollar top pairing and in 3-4 years a dude who will be outplayed by kids coming up but will be keeping a spot on the roster.

Samyy

Problem with Celine is he's like a 2nd d-man being used as 1D in TO.

fixed
He is not a 4th D, not even close.

The bigger problem is that when he is at his best he likes to play very aggressively, which he can't do if he is relied upon in a shutdown capacity, which made it all the more pressing the find a good shutdown type partner for him but they failed miserably, the best they could come up with in 5 years was Gunnarson, who is a 4th D-man being used as a #2.

Problem with Celine is he's like a 4th d-man being used as 1D in TO.
Eh I'd say he's #2 at best, when he compliments a puck moving #1. Leafs don't have that yet (Reyelly in a few years). Plus I don't like his gooning role either. If your job is a top pairing D-man then you should stay on the ice to log the big minutes. Not chase around some 4th liner for reasons.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I feel like we're going to be hearing about the "rejuvenated" Phaneuf after he starts playing for his new team.

I actually thought Phaneuf was the only thing remotely resembling defense happening in Toronto. Without him it'll be WAY worse. Yes he's overpaid, but he's AFAIK been decent on a team with a defense like Toronto's.

He could easily become more recognizeably better if he gets more support on another team.

Reimer&Phaneuf&Kadri for Edler&Kesler.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Florida is also not stupid, in fact I'd bet Oilers are stupider.
I meant the Oil wouldn't straight up trade their first for Phaneuf.

Florida getting a #2-3 d man who can be more aggressive offensively AND our first AND we retain some money? Not bad for them I think.

I would love to have Phaneuf on the Wild if Toronto held like 2m next year, and 1m from the year after and onward.

He can do all his crazy stuff and Suter would cover mistakes. Brodin and Scandella on the second pairing would really even things out for the whole team. Spurgeon and Folin would be a great third as well.

Would probably take a prospect I don't want to give up, though.

Cactus

Banned
If trading Phaneuf means keeping Gardiner/Kadri, I can live with it.

I think it's time to trade Franson, as well. Bozak had a surprisingly good season, so he should probably go too, while his value is highest.

Cake Boss

Banned
I wonder what team will be desperate enough to pay that.

tumblr_mjsfeavFss1r6x1ilo1_r2_500.gif

Yakubust. Does he still retain his elite blue chip prospect status now? Oilers likely rushed him and I wonder if he may turn into another Stefan or Daigle.
Eakins/Oilers are ruining him. He gets no PP time, and is the popular scapegoat when there are "good ole Canadian kids" just as bad. For his sake I hope he leave that place soon.

Can't wait for #Neckless to bury all your forward rookies.
He can't WHEN THEY ARE HIS ONLY CHOICE hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

In all serious if he comes here he gets the most legit kids he's ever had. From Radulov being the most gifted offensive guy to kids like Barkov, Hubey, Bjugstad, Pirri etc.

Merguson

Banned
He can't WHEN THEY ARE HIS ONLY CHOICE hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

In all serious if he comes here he gets the most legit kids he's ever had. From Radulov being the most gifted offensive guy to kids like Barkov, Hubey, Bjugstad, Pirri etc.

Upshall will be his most trusted forward.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yakubust. Does he still retain his elite blue chip prospect status now? Oilers likely rushed him and I wonder if he may turn into another Stefan or Daigle.
He still has the tools to be elite, those don't diminish over a year and a half. He just needs proper coaching and to be well insulated, he seems to be the odd duck in Edmonton. If I was a GM, I would totally try to pick him up for a cheaper price.

Acid08

Banned
He still has the tools to be elite, those don't diminish over a year and a half. He just needs proper coaching and to be well insulated, he seems to be the odd duck in Edmonton. If I was a GM, I would totally try to pick him up for a cheaper price.
Yeah, I think he'd be a great buy low if he can be had for the right price.

Razorskin

----- ------

Clutch playoff guy Rene Bourque for Yakupov, with an eventual reuniting of Yakupov and Galchenyuk.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Clutch playoff guy Rene Bourque for Yakupov, with an eventual reuniting of Yakupov and Galchenyuk.
I'd actually love to see them play together, but Bergevin wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole with his "character issues".

Quick

Banned
This fucking team is going ass backwards. Re-signing Carlyle was one thing, but potentially losing some of the best players? Get the fuck out.

Phaneuf wasn't playing his best last season, but losing him (and Gardiner) would leave a hole on D.

Kadri is only getting better.

I'm getting tired of this team treating players like shit. It seems more prevalent since Carlyle took over coaching. I don't like the attitude at all.

I would hop to some other team, but I'm not Entropia or Coldnoodle/Forza. Quick don't play that shit.

giphy.gif

No offense, but a Bolts fan would be the last person I'd expect to know about a CHL playoff tourney. Respect.

Even when I had it explained to me in person at my first WHL game, I still didn't get it.

zroid

Banned
Stay strong Quick... things will get better...
no they won't, just watch the Marlies if you want to feel better

I can't wait to see Hertl wreck the Canadians this afternoon

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

That pic is truly the stuff of nightmares *shudder*

I don't understand why Phillips is still on this team. All it's doing is making me retroactively hate his career with the Sens, whereas if he quietly left I would look back on his career fondly.

Merguson

Banned
So the Leafs aren't shopping Dijon, only listening for offers. Damn it.

I'm more inclined to believe Kypreos in this matter. He's been pretty spot on with the Leafs rumors for a while.

If they wanted to move him, this summer would be the best opportunity. Otherwise, his new contract kicks in with a modified NMC/NTC.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
So the Leafs aren't shopping Dijon, only listening for offers. Damn it.
Makes no sense. Unless we're retaining salary, I don't see anybody trying to get him...

He is a good player and to you numb nuts who think otherwise, it's not easy going up against the top opposition and getting a bunch of defensive zone starts too.

I say trade em all and start over.

zroid

Banned
What they really should be doing is trying to get a legit #1 d-man to play with Phaneuf instead of Gunny, but god knows it's almost impossible to acquire #1 d-men. I can only hope Rielly will become that guy, but who knows.

Top Bottom