• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Socreges

Banned
We could have won that game at least. After that, anything is possible.
Anything, short of the Sharks actually reaching a Cup Final, agreed. There are just some alternative realities that could not happen in an infinite universe.

Yes I know

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Anything, short of the Sharks actually reaching a Cup Final, agreed. There are just some alternative realities that could not happen in an infinite universe.

Like the Leafs making the playoffs in a non-shortened season.

Quick

Banned
DON'T JOKE LIKE THAT MENG

ibdOAAKyBXBho3.jpg

ibxpFzDDapmocV.jpg
ibd8OEHM3OoqcS.jpg

I'll have some long ass detailed bitch post up tomorrow morning about what I would do if I was GM.

I could do it tonight but emotion would take over and I'd write that I would want to have Koivu traded away. Which isn't all that terrible of an idea. Cuz fuck that guy and his disappearing act against the Blackhawks two years in a row. Kaptain Ghost.

But I'd rather play Titanfall.

We could have won that game at least. After that, anything is possible.

The way I remember it the Sharks did have a chance if they won Game 5 (Game 6 at home, etc.). They carried the play in OT (Luongo was great) and the Canucks were already banged up (Kesler got hurt in that game). If that series dragged on they would've been in even worse shape.

Socreges

Banned
The way I remember it the Sharks did have a chance if they won Game 5 (Game 6 at home, etc.). They carried the play in OT (Luongo was great) and the Canucks were already banged up (Kesler got hurt in that game). If that series dragged on they would've been in even worse shape.
Both teams had lots of injuries at that point.

Cake Boss

Banned
Duckse=]Given his playoff performance, the Senators will want to at least see if winger Devante Smith-Pelley can be part of the package. The Ducks will likely offer 2010 No. 1 pick Emerson Etem[/quote]

YES I will take 2!!

The Blues will likely offer Swedish centre Patrik Berglund and, perhaps, prosect winger Ty Rattie.

Urgh no thnx

The Senators have told teams interested they won't give Spezza away. The price has remained consistent: A top six forward, a good, high-end prospect and a No. 1 pick

From Bruce Ishouldnthavefinishedtheentirecakemyselfgoch

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m
According to @TSNquizmaster, that's 81 goals in 81 GP for Mantha. 57 in 57 reg season; 24 in 24 playoffs. No math major but that's GAG

Yeah, I love our prospects...

Oh, and clutch goal to win the QMJHL Championship in Game 7 with less than a minute to go.

MANTHA!!!

John Buccigross ‏@Buccigross 47s
Source: "lots of dissension in the locker room during the playoffs towards him (Blysma). Arguing in meetings, etc. 99.98% he's gone"

rip
Good riddance, he wasn't getting it done. I have no ill will against him but we need a change. The motivation hasn't been there for a while and its so deep through the team that it hinges on the coach. Therrin had the same problem.

Duckse=]Given his playoff performance, the Senators will want to at least see if winger Devante Smith-Pelley can be part of the package. The Ducks will likely offer 2010 No. 1 pick Emerson Etem

YES I will take 2!!

Urgh no thnx

From Bruce Ishouldnthavefinishedtheentirecakemyselfgoch

Don't really care about Berglund, but losing Rattie would be questionable. Our prospect pool is already thin enough.

I'm not saying Sens should want less than that, just that we've already spent futures enough and aren't the Detroit Red Wings.

edit: shitting crikey CB, I had to edit the shit out of your quote tags to make that readable

Duckse=]Given his playoff performance, the Senators will want to at least see if winger Devante Smith-Pelley can be part of the package. The Ducks will likely offer 2010 No. 1 pick Emerson Etem

YES I will take 2!!

I get that we need 2nd line centres, but Spezza? Really?

And please no to trading DSP or Etem.

... And why are only our black players in play?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Letang is so overrated, can't wait for him to be moved and finally get exposed when he's not playing with some of the best players in the world.

I know you guys are just dying to read my long ass bitch post later and I'm just about ready to post it. Need to study a bit more before I get to my ranting.

I want to choke the Flyer fans who think dumping Hartnell and signing Moulson should be a priority. Let some other team give him six years $30 million.

He'd probably get 25 on a line with Giroux but I don't know. He was invisible for long stretches of time. Got like three points in three games when he first got here and then very little production for how much he played and for whom he played with. In the playoffs he had three points in 10 games, one of which was because he intercepted a pass between Haula and Fontaine that he wasn't meant to touch, gave it to Fontaine, and then there was that beauty pass that Haula hit in a few games ago.

Two deserved (doubt it) points in ten games in the playoffs. Just terrible.

Niederreiter + Harding is a deal.

and Letang is legit at even strength, with the right D partner he's a total monster. He's garbage on the PP though.

Nah. Even with Harding, who I don't expect to play again, that deal is a bit much from what I'd be willing to pay. I like Nino. A lot.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Rob Rossi "Pens won't move Malkin. He'll have his agent tell whatever team that tries to trade for him that he won't stay in North America"

What a bitch, way to fuck your team.

What a bitch, way to fuck your team.

That's weird.

Zhenya said "If at some point things don't work out with the Penguins and I have to leave, I'd rather go to the New York Rangers or Montreal Canadiens. There are several clubs. But I'm not rushing to Dallas.

From a year ago.

Also, Mark Madden (one of Pitt's radio guys) said that Shero had a deal in place for Letang last summer that would have restocked the cupboard but upper management nixed it.

This last Wild season was part of an upward trend that is hopefully not peaking for a year or five. It wasn't perfect, in fact it was infuriating at times, but overall it was a good time. I originally said that I was going to post what I would do if I was GM but that is mostly useless. This is going to be a somewhat long post clarifying salary cap non-issues, some hopeful speculation, and some overall thoughts that I would just throw down. It's going to be a long one and I don't expect anybody to read it but I'll throw it out there just because.

Lots and lots of people believe that the Wild are going to be facing some heavy salary cap issues in the near future. That they will experience devastating losses similar to what Chicago did after their first cup a few years ago - without actually winning a cup. This is simply not true. Not only is the salary cap going up roughly eight million dollars, but Dany Heatley's albatross 7.5 million dollar cap hit, along with Matt Moulson's useless 3.13m and Mike Rupp's 1.5m. That is, roughly, 18 million. There is another four million tied up in RFAs that we may or may not let go.

Cody McCormick, Nino Neiderreiter, Jason Zucker, Justin Fontaine, Clayton Stoner, and Jon Blum should all be brought back for a combined, I'm estimating, seven or eight million dollars.

Josh Harding is probably done. We can't count on him any longer. Niklas Backstrom isn't in a much better spot. Darcy Kuemper should get somewhere between 1 and 1.5 million and be brought back as the hopeful starter going into next season. Bringing back Bryz to split time would be ideal but who knows if that will happen.

All of this brings a total of about 10 million, at worst, to play with in free agency. Will that be used to bring in Matt Niskanen? Thomas Vanek? Or somebody else? Who knows. I think playing Vanek in a top six role will just limit this team going forward. It prevents Nino and Zucker from making top six spots any time soon and there is a solid chance he becomes another Dany Heatley down the line. Niskanen would improve our team a bit, but not as much as some would hope - especially for what his contract is assuredly going to be.

Looking at the Wild this year, a few players stand out for their play. Or lack thereof. Mikko Koivu, first and foremost, was the face of this franchise for the bulk of the last decade. His regular season was admirable - he has been plagued by injuries the last few years and I have to hope he finally gets out of his funk but who knows. His first round was unspectacular but average. His second round against the Hawks was terrible. One point in six games. Last year he was pointless in five. One point in eleven games over two seasons? Come on, Mikko. Is he going to be traded? Should he be traded? No. But two years of injuries and invisible playoffs could be written off as a coincidence. Three would be a trend. I don't want to see that trend continuing beyond three years - if it even gets there.

Jason Pominville needs to work on his accuracy in the off-season. Granlund setting him up prime and adding in his own ingenuity and hockey IQ, Poms gets more beauty opportunities than anybody in the league. He could be a 45 or 50 goal scorer if he could actually put it on net with 1/5th of his missed opportunities. Instead, he's stuck in that middling area of 30 goals a year. Take that next step and the entire team would benefit. Greatly.

Kyle Brodziak is done. At least, on this team. He's been a consistent workhorse for this team for years but is finally forced out of the lineup by some of these young guys. Erik Haula and Mikael Granlund prevent him from playing on either the second or third line, and Kyle Brodziak, at 2.83 million, is overpaid for a fourth liner. Cody McCormick, surprisingly the best play in that Moulson trade at the deadline, is our perfect fourth line guy.

Christian Folin is going to challenge Stoner and Ballard for that third pairing. I expect the three of them to rotate on that pair for the bulk of the season.

Ideally, my lineup for next season would be this:

Parise - Granlund - Pominville
Nino - Koivu - Coyle
Cooke - Haula - Zucker
Veilleux - McCormick - Fontaine

Suter - Brodin
Scandella - Spurgeon
Stoner - Folin/Ballard

Kuemper
Bryzgalov

Not a whole lot different from the playoffs, but hopefully enough to get us over the hump. With Nino, Coyle, Granlund, and Haula all tapping into their potential during the playoffs I dream of them doing it consistently for an entire season. Zucker has earned the right to compete for a spot. And I hope he earns it playing next to Cooke and Haula. It would be one of the fastest lines in the league and would be a beauty to watch.

Our cupboard is over flowing right now so I can see some of our young guys being traded, but knowing Holland he'll trade the ones we need and not the overflowing ones (DANG IT LEGWAND TRADE!!!).

Merguson

Banned
Our cupboard is over flowing right now so I can see some of our young guys being traded, but knowing Holland he'll trade the ones we need and not the overflowing ones (DANG IT LEGWAND TRADE!!!).

You need more swedes. We have Gunnarsson. Mantha for Gunnarsson.

EDIT: And your 1st in 2014. Pls.

Wild will take Letang off your hands, Pens.

Zucker, Spurgeon, 2015 2nd plz
Unless there's some health thing they knew about, not sure why you would ever move Letang. Neal has fallen off hard so I'll gladly trade him for more cap space.
LOL...... No
Lol, I can only imagine your reaction if that actually happened. We thought you were on suicide watch with the wings before.
The guy gets by on his freakish athleticism but he has a peanut for a brain.
He reminds me of a better version of Neal. He's overly emotional and lazy at times but god damn is he talented when he tries. His athleticism is absolutely insane.

Unless there's some health thing they knew about, not sure why you would ever move Letang. Neal has fallen off hard so I'll gladly trade him for more cap space.

Lol, I can only imagine your reaction if that actually happened. We thought you were on suicide watch with the wings before.

Eh, we'll just promote Blashill who sounds exactly like Babs.

You need more swedes. We have Gunnarsson. Mantha for Gunnarsson.

EDIT: And your 1st in 2014. Pls.

Mantha for Kadri+Kessel+Gardiner+1st

Cleary's rights for Huberduper.
Oh nonono Hubey is too young and will ruin that vet leadership in the DET locker room. We're offering a vet leader and strong charchter player who been to the big games and knows the battles. He can gel with the experience that Jurco only hinders with his youthful luster.

Top Bottom