• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT2| - Dan Cleary

zroid

Banned
D:
But what about Clarkson? He has the highest Clarksi rating!

Yep. The Clarksi rating is the single most important advanced statistic for measuring a hockey player's overall value. It incorporates the data contained in the two most useful individual metrics: the Clearsi rating (a measure of grit and leadership, among other things) and the MimicoRel (the natural logarithm of the distance from Mimico, Ontario, Canada that an individual grew up).

To deny Clarksi is to deny success.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
oh god /TheFappening continues

Alison Brie and Aubrey Plaza.

this is insanity. And more McKayla Maroney pics. And Selena Gomez.

I can't handle this all at once. I can't tell what's fake and what's not anymore.

finished my draft today. anyone wanna handicap this shit?

points only league
1.5 G
1 A
2 W
2 SO

http://imgur.com/a/5mWCL

I lucked out because 3rd overall pick made a mistake and drafted James Neal but he wanted Tavares

nux for cup 2035
1. (7) John Tavares (NYI - C)
2. (14) Jamie Benn (Dal - LW)
3. (27) Nathan MacKinnon (Col - C,RW)
4. (34) Rick Nash (NYR - LW,RW)
5. (47) Bobby Ryan (Ott - LW,RW)
6. (54) Kris Letang (Pit - D)
7. (67) Gustav Nyquist (Det - C,RW)
8. (74) Ryan Kesler (Anh - C,RW)
9. (87) Pekka Rinne (Nsh - G)
10. (94) Jason Pominville (Min - RW)
11. (107) Mike Ribeiro (Nsh - C)
12. (114) Roberto Luongo (Fla - G)
13. (127) Mikael Granlund (Min - C)
14. (134) Alexander Edler (Van - D)
15. (147) Brian Campbell (Fla - D)
16. (154) Valeri Nichushkin (Dal - RW)
17. (167) Jordan Staal (Car - C,LW)
18. (174) Sam Gagner (Ari - C,RW)
19. (187) Jacob Trouba (Wpg - D)
20. (194) Seth Jones (Nsh - D)

Who's the mook who took James Neal 3rd overall?

RC

Banned
oh god /TheFappening continues

Alison Brie and Aubrey Plaza.

this is insanity. And more McKayla Maroney pics. And Selena Gomez.

I can't handle this all at once. I can't tell what's fake and what's not anymore.

Doubt your dick cares.

Just realized
  • that Carlyle is still coaching
  • that Clarkson has a buyout proof contract
  • that Nonis' plan A could well have killed the franchise

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Vat3mRd.jpg

i need dis

I injured my back at MMA training yesterday and I've now had a 4 day weekend because of it.

... Except the past two days have been painful as heck.

All this, and there's no games to be played. I need to finish S2 of Walking Dead but that's about it.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I injured my back at MMA training yesterday and I've now had a 4 day weekend because of it.

... Except the past two days have been painful as heck.

All this, and there's no games to be played. I need to finish S2 of Walking Dead but that's about it.

That's the shittiest injury you can get. You never realize how integral your back is to every move you make until it's stabbing with pain at the slightest movement.

Socreges

Banned
Got a story for you guys. I hope you enjoy

Spent the weekend on this sweet little island on a lake. It was amazing - I was very lucky. The downside is that in order to get there you have to take this small, old boat that necessitates a few trips to bring everyone and everything over to the island (and then back afterwards, of course). And naturally it's important to take as few trips as possible. Sidebar: I kept thinking of this riddle. On the first day I'm on the first boat over, arrive on the island, and proceed to the cabin with two dogs. I tie them up and go back to the dock to get the bags we'd brought across. Meanwhile trip #2 is underway. Everyone arrives in due course and our weekend begins.

Good times.

Earlier today, we pack our things and bring everything down to the dock. Trip #1 leaves, then trip #2, and finally trip #3 which will include everything remaining: my friend driving the boat, a cooler, a few bags, a 70 lb dog, my very large family friend (picture something like this, but with a bigger belly), and myself. I'm a bit uncomfortable but the huge dude gets right in the middle so it's all good. I sit down at the bow with the cooler and we're off.

So we set off to the opposite dock, cutting across the lake, perpendicular to the paths of all other boats. On our way over we'd talked about how sketchy this is, but their family has been doing this for decades , not to mention how considerate everyone on the lake is. Seemed like nothing more than idle chitchat. But in retrospect it was foreshadowing. So, immediately after taking off we notice a speed boat on course to cut in front of us, but a ways away. No problem. It passes by without issue. Of course, though, we're heading straight into its wake. Again, never been a problem before so we continue on. I'm a bit anxious about this, but I've already seen them to be practiced authorities on all things concerned, and they don't seem fazed.

The first wave hits and we immediately take on a bit of water. My friend cuts the engine as a precaution, meaning the bow dips down. The second wave hits and we take on a lot more water. Fuck, this is bad. The third wave hits and we're done. The boat is now sinking. The boat is now underwater.

Another sidebar: I can't swim. Rather, I can't be trusted to swim. I've swam only in controlled conditions, never out in a place where I could drown, and I've never been able to reliably tread water.

Also: we're not wearing life jackets. Just heavy clothing.

It all happened within a few seconds. The moment it was obvious that the worst fucking case scenario was actually fucking happening, I fished around for a life jacket under the cooler and grabbed one just as the water took us. Chaos. Sheer terror. Self-preservation had kicked in and I was scrambling in the water to actually get this life jacket on; I settled with it hooked under one arm, giving me some help. At the same time I'm looking around and taking account. The dog is not a good swimmer and is flipping the fuck out. My friend is panicking and the huge guy, I thought, had disappeared under the water. I turn my head around and find him struggling toward the boat. It had popped back up a few yards away, overturned. My friend is a strong swimmer and manages to take the dog and hoist it onto the boat. I grab its edge and so does the huge guy.

The boat that had flipped us is long gone. There are no boats nearby. We are halfway between both shores. The rest of our group is loading the cars on the other side and barely within earshot. We scream to them which, I find later, was barely audible and only made them panic as they had no way to help us. The dog, meanwhile, is standing on this flipped boat that is alternating continuously between 'This will do for now' and 'Fuck me is it going under again'. The dog's panicked pacing back and forth does not help. She goes to the end to see her owner, which begins to dip 90% of the boat under water again. I call her over to balance the boat, but she comes right to me and nearly slides off onto me. We do this dance for the next 5 minutes. Or 30 seconds. It felt like an eternity.

Finally another boat hears our whistles and slowly makes its way over. Then another boat. We awkwardly get on, settle down, and we're taken to our crew.

Lessons learned:

- If you're going to spend a lot of time in the water, take whatever time necessary to be a strong swimmer. AND/OR:
- Wear life jackets. Regardless of how good a swimmer you are. If nothing else wearing a life jacket means you're in a better position to help someone that isn't.
- Just do four trips..... really.... why are we in a hurry....
- If a boat FEELS sketchy, it probably IS FUCKING SKETCHY.
- More evidence that my survival instincts are not lacking, though my cautiousness is

Heretic

Holy shit dude... Thank goodness everyone was ok.

Edit: Question for everyone:

If you died, would someone be able to notify NHL-Gaf?

Socreges

Banned
I've got one IRL/NeoGAF friend. You guys would know if I died.

And yeah, very lucky everyone was OK. I didn't actually know if the huge guy could swim. When we were going under, mixed in with terror for my own sake was this horrible feeling that he would sink and I wouldn't be able to save him.

Capsizing in the middle of a lake with nothing around you is just fucking horrible. We are very lucky that the boat didn't just sink straight down immediately, which often happens. I don't even want to think of what would have happened.

Heretic

That is horrifying... I'm just like where I can swim but just enough to not drown. How was the temperature in the water?

TUSR

Banned
ive lost too many friends to water related accidents/incidents. glad to hear everyone is okay.

acid your avatar is hilarious, did quick do that for you?

Socreges

Banned
That is horrifying... I'm just like where I can swim but just enough to not drown. How was the temperature in the water?
The temperature was alright, since it was a lake. Good enough at least that I don't recall ever thinking it was cold. Furthest thing from my mind.

ive lost too many friends to water related accidents/incidents.
Really? I guess boating/tubing/etc is so common in the Okanagan that shit would naturally happen from time to time. :(

I definitely have a different attitude toward it all now. As it was happening it was extremely surreal, like 'This can't actually be happening to us', but really why not? The circumstances were perfect. Next time I'll be (overly) prepared.

Stasis

That's crazy. I was out at a cabin with some friends like 3 weeks back and we had to take our shit across in canoes. We had to split things between us as well, but thankfully it's a fairly small lake and we had no dogs/huge ppl.

Even then, I know what you mean... just loading up coolers and bags in a canoe with two medium sized guys can be interesting if you're not used to it. None of us were. We managed, and it was actually a ton of fun.

I'm a strong swimmer who's completely comfortable with open water but I still would have flipped out had that happened to me. Good thing you had a life jacket, heavy clothing and shoes are terrible to have when you're in for a potentially long swim.

Socreges

Banned
Now I'm suddenly grateful of the swimming lessons I was forced to take as a kid.
Believe me, my parents tried. But I had ear problems for years as a baby/toddler/child. Once it was fine for me to put my head under water, I already had developed a sort of phobia, not to mention that I'd missed the best years to be learning. I've since gotten past the fear and can actually swim now, but treading water still eludes me. Definitely something I now intend to conquer this year.

Socreges

Banned
That's crazy. I was out at a cabin with some friends like 3 weeks back and we had to take our shit across in canoes. We had to split things between us as well, but thankfully it's a fairly small lake and we had no dogs/huge ppl.

Even then, I know what you mean... just loading up coolers and bags in a canoe with two medium sized guys can be interesting if you're not used to it. None of us were. We managed, and it was actually a ton of fun.

I'm a strong swimmer who's completely comfortable with open water but I still would have flipped out had that happened to me. Good thing you had a life jacket, heavy clothing and shoes are terrible to have when you're in for a potentially long swim.
I don't want to be too dramatic, but grabbing that life jacket a moment before the boat sank truly probably saved my life. I had a heavy sweater on (it couldn't fit in my bag so I just wore it for the trip) which, like you said, would have been a bad situation even worse. Very lucky that I was situated next to the life jackets and that I'd made a mental note of where they were.

Alright enough talking about myself. Gotta head to bed. Thanks for the kind replies, guys.

PS. Cell phone is currently in a bag with some rice. Won't shed a tear if it succumbs. I got off easy if that's the only casualty and hey... guilt-free new phone purchase...

Wow i'm glad you are ok, that seemed scary as hell.

I have felt you "this is sketchy" feeling a couple of times on the water but nothing ever happened, i have no idea how i would react. Water is can be really terrifying.

Jeezus fuck, Soc. I'm glad you float like a butterfly and (verbally) sting like when I pee.

I can only imagine the fear you must of felt in that moment.

But hey, massive respect for having the leadership abilities to get a lifejacket and sort out other people around you. That's huge.

Until I was 14, I'd always lived with a swimming pool. So I was thrown into a pool as soon as I was born. Then there was lake swimming, and both primary and secondary schools throwing us into pools so that they could try and develop the next Kieren Perkins/Dawn Fraser. I'm amazingly grateful that this country develops kids at a young age to learn how to deal with water.

yyzjohn

Banned
Scary shit Socreges. When I was a kid I had a near drowning incident where my brother and sisters didn't notice I went under in a lake and couldn't swim. I was terrified of water for years after that. Good to hear you're ok.

Top Bottom