• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

zroid

Banned
CGM14KiWcAEzOS2.jpg

lool :(

calder

Gather round, Jets GAF, I've got something I've been kicking around for a few months...

My dream scenario is to trade Pavelec for basically anything, then trade the second first rounder to the Rangers for Cam Talbot.

Then training camp opens with Talbot as the presumed #1 (he has the pedigree to justify a shot at starting for sure) and Hutch as a very intriguing and solid backup. This lets Hellebuyck develop on the Moose for another year which he probably needs and, best case scenario, the following season the Jets have a nice dilemma where they can trade Hutch or Hellebuyck because all 3 are NHL caliber.

It's more likely that Hellebuyck actually needs two more seasons in the AHL though, so the Jets have more than enough time to find out what they have in net. Then going into 2016 if they are lucky enough to have more than one quality NHL caliber starter, decide who to move. This doesn't even factor in Comrie, but he's ~5 years away at least and for goalies that young you're just guessing at what they'll turn into at the pro level.

I was arguing with my brothers all day on chat about what we do with the forwards, but I think in general the best bet is to let some other team overpay Stafford at like 5M per like I assume he'll get and instead overpay Frolik. Let Slater go (sorry fallout), but try to get Stempniak back on a cheap deal for bottom six depth.

Pikma

Banned
So now we can't even look at threads that are about drawings of muhammed? This has gone too far.
Sure, you can give it a look, but then you'll stumble upon this:

Although I don't agree with the armed protest and their underlying motives, I wonder if there is a double standard here. How is displaying drawings of Muhammad in front of a mosque any different than the gay community organizing "kiss-ins" in front of churches (not just Westboro), mosques, and the pope? Are they also being disrespectful and/or trying to incite violence?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
What was it like at MSG tonight?

Pretty great until the third. I don't know about the building as a whole, but the crowd around me really recognized what was going on and what kind of game it was around the end of the first period or so, so as soon as that first goal went in, the building died. I think everybody knew what it meant. In most games, with 18 minutes left you could feel confident about this team chasing down a goal, but it was obvious to everyone that they just didn't have it tonight.

Hank also said the same thing during his post-game interview. They knew, especially after the second goal.

Leaving the building was kind of a weird feeling. Took a long time to leave, sort of lingered and slowly sauntered out. It's a weird feeling, seeing your team eliminated in person. Very different from years past where it was always on TV since they were somewhere else, be it LA or Boston or Jersey or Washington or Pittsburgh or wherever.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So here is what the 2015-16 Rangers currently look like:

Nash - Brassard - Zuccarello
Kreider - _(RFA)_ - _(RFA)_
_(RFA)_ - Hayes - _(RFA)_
Glass - Moore - _(UFA)_
_(UFA)_

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Boyle
Yandle - Klein
_(UFA)_

Lundqvist
Talbot

RFAs:
Stepan
Fast
Hagelin
Miller

UFAs:
St. Louis
Sheppard
Hunwick

That doesn't sound too bad, right? The whole defense is intact, the goalies are still there, and most of the roster guys of consequence that are up for contracts are RFAs. Well, here's the problem: we're already at just a shade under $60 million, and Stepan is going to get at least $6m for himself.

fallout

Gather round, Jets GAF, I've got something I've been kicking around for a few months...
Well, it's an idea, that's for sure. Although, I think a lot of your goalie dream hinges a lot on a team actually wanting to swallow the Pavelec contract for 2 years. My "plan" was always to just ride it out until Hellebuyck (hellyeahbuick?) is ready for the NHL, but I like this whole interim and proactive solution you're proposing!

Let Slater go (sorry fallout), but try to get Stempniak back on a cheap deal for bottom six depth.
Meh. I like the guy, but I don't think he's a necessary part of the team or anything.

So here is what the 2015-16 Rangers currently look like:

Nash - Brassard - Zuccarello
Kreider - _(RFA)_ - _(RFA)_
_(RFA)_ - Hayes - _(RFA)_
Glass - Moore - _(UFA)_
_(UFA)_

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Boyle
Yandle - Klein
_(UFA)_

Lundqvist
Talbot

RFAs:
Stepan
Fast
Hagelin
Miller

UFAs:
St. Louis
Sheppard
Hunwick

That doesn't sound too bad, right? The whole defense is intact, the goalies are still there, and most of the roster guys of consequence that are up for contracts are RFAs. Well, here's the problem: we're already at just a shade under $60 million, and Stepan is going to get at least $6m for himself.
I was going to say, must seeing Stepan without a contract has to hurt since he'll demand some money.

zroid

Banned
Lol Remparts fans throwing trash on the ice after their team got smoked

maybe we shouldn't bring back the Nordiques after all

Curufinwe

For a while I thought the Lightning were dumb for giving us their 2015 first rounder instead of the Rangers in the Coburn trade, but they ended up making the right call.

zroid

Banned
The cover story of Sportsnet Magazine from a couple months ago was "6 Reasons Carey Price Can Take the Habs All The Way"

dat jinx

Top Bottom