• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Just landed at Tdot and this is the first thing I see on the streets.

i3uo8la.jpg
Hey. Fuck you! Don't you shit on that dog...!

You guys have homeless people all over, Dammit! LEAVE OUR DOGES AT EATON CENTRE ALONE!!!

calder

Here we go again jays
Thank god they held on.

Umps are a fucking joke, no one should ever pretend the NHL has the worst officiating.

I don't think I hate any NHL team as much as I hate the Orioles which I realize is insane. Fucking garbage birds

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
MCA ep33:
George, pls. North America includes Canada and Mexico. You can't have the American flag as the cuisine choice and then call it North American.

Fei

why do people keep bringing up salary retention like it's a magical tool

I think the point is if the Leafs want full value for Kessel, they are going to eat some of his salary. Kessel is great, but that contract sucks. And it's even worse since we're in a period where cap growth is not a given.

Samyy

I think the point is if the Leafs want full value for Kessel, they are going to eat some of his salary. Kessel is great, but that contract sucks. And it's even worse since we're in a period where cap growth is not a given.

If he was a UFA he's getting 8mil easy

Merguson

Banned
If he was a UFA he's getting 8mil easy

That's true, but there's a big difference in paying a guy and not giving up assets versus paying a guy and giving up assets.

Either way, we're relying on a "rival executive" source who likely has a vested interest in downplaying Kessel's value.

There's all sorts of way the salaries could be balanced out. It could be salary retention or the Leafs just take on several bad contracts. We'll have to wait to see, assuming there is a trade out there to make.

The contract is right about what guys of his age, skill level and production get. No, he's not some bargain, but he's not Lecavalier. He had a poor year, on one of the league's worst teams - yet he still put up comparable numbers to Perry, Nash, Parise, Datsyuk, Spezza, Toews and Kane.

zroid

Banned
Too many people probably assume the Leafs are a lot more desperate to move on from Kessel than they actually are. Trading him now might be an especially bad idea given he's coming off a down year. It's not really an issue if he stays.

Now, Phaneuf on the other hand... they really need to get rid of him. And Bozak, for fucks sake.

Cactus

Banned
If the Leafs retain some of Kessel's salary in a trade, the whole management team should be fired.

I don't even think we'll have to retain any of Phaneuf's salary either (although his trade value obviously pales in comparison).

zroid

Banned
If the Leafs retain some of Kessel's salary in a trade, the whole management team should be fired.

I don't even think we'll have to retain any of Phaneuf's salary either (although his trade value obviously pales in comparison).

Yeah. One of the things I think people forget about salary retention is the rules which govern it. You have to retain the same amount over the entire term, and that you can only retain on 3 contracts at a given time. This makes retaining anything, even a dollar, on contracts with a lot of term very risky. You need those retention slots to get flexibility for making future short term deals. Imagine if they retained on both Kessel and Phaneuf, they'd only have 1 slot for the next 6 years or whatever it is. You can't do that.

If they need to eat money, then they take back bad contracts. That's it.

Samyy

If the Leafs don't retain some of Kessel's salary in a trade and they get a pair of decent players on top of that, the whole management of whatever team agrees to that nonsense deserves to be fired.

Honestly the dumbest thing I've ever read.
Here just take Kessel, top 5 offensive player the last 5-6 years for scraps gee why not.

Fuck off.

zroid

Banned
honestly the impressions of Kessel's contract among people here just make me even more confident that he shouldn't be traded this summer. there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to trade him if GMs expect salary retention / bad contracts sent back / meh returns.

Parch

Lots of teams would want Kessel. But not at his contract.
$8M is what you give to your franchise player, top point getter, backbone of your offence, etc.
True, and it seems obvious that Kessel is not the type of player you build a franchise around. If that was the case the Leafs would do it.
Poor work ethic, no leadership, horrible two-way player. That's not the type of player you make your highest paid. Under his current contract, I seriously doubt there are a lot of teams even remotely interested in Kessel unless the Leafs eat a lot of that salary or get junk contracts.
He's pretty close to untradeable IMO.

Socreges

Banned
Reading a few TSN articles and accidentally dragged my eyes across some of the comments.. fuck me it sucks that Oilers fans suddenly exist again and they're acting up *already*.

I wonder if the upcoming 10th place conference finish is going to thin their herd yet again.
I hope they don't trade for Talbot, that could ruin everything
dem's posting frequency and arrogance soared 600% the moment the Oilers won the lottery.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Expect nothing and get even less.

Hey, all I wanted was to mock the shitty book that has such lines as "music to my dick" and "my cock concurs" plus some other questionable lines.

I got a competing book that has lines like "pussy falling out". I don't know what to think.

Marvie_3

Banned
Hey, all I wanted was to mock the shitty book that has such lines as "music to my dick" and "my cock concurs" plus some other questionable lines.

I got a competing book that has lines like "pussy falling out". I don't know what to think.
Sounds like cake boss wrote that book.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
MCA ep34:
Holy shit. John just does not learn AT ALL.

John: Let's do 6 dishes!
Entire team: That is a bad idea.
John: Okay 6 dishes it is!

Later...

Gary and George: That's too many dishes.
Entire team: We need to scrap one dish.
John: Okay, 6 dishes!

Even later....

John: Oh shit, we've done too many dishes.
Entire team: *facepalm*

And who decides on a dessert without making sure that you have the ingredient for it? DUMB. He keeps on making the same mistake over and over and over.

Top Bottom