• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

I'm pretty sure you just transcribed all the insults dstrdl would hurl at me while I was wrecking his shit with Nik Antropov in NHL 3 vs 3.

DiPietro was just having a series of bad games. It's all it was.

wot the fok did ye just say 2 me m8? i dropped out of newcastle primary skool im the sickest bloke ull ever meet & ive nicked ova 300 chocolate globbernaughts frum tha corner shop. im trained in street fitin' & im the strongest foker in tha entire newcastle gym. yer nothin to me but a cheeky lil bellend w/ a fit mum & fakebling. ill waste u and smash a fokin bottle oer yer head bruv, i swer 2 christ. ya think u can fokin run ya gabber at me whilst sittin on yer arse behind a lil screen? think again wanka. im callin me homeboys rite now preparin for a proper scrap. A roomble thatll make ur nan sore jus hearin about it. yer a waste bruv. me crew be all over tha place & ill beat ya to a proper fokin pulp with me fists wanka. if i aint satisfied w/ that ill borrow me m8s cricket paddle & see if that gets u the fok out o' newcastle ya daft kunt. if ye had seen this bloody fokin mess commin ye might a' kept ya gabber from runnin. but it seems yea stupid lil twat, innit? ima shite fury & ull drown in it m8. ur ina proper mess knob.

lol this is chav speak from the UK

ryan299

As a Pens fan I'm so happy they didn't trade Pouliot. Still can't believe Rutherford pulled the trade off without giving Maata or Pouliot up.

Also anybody know a way to get around the tsn region restrictions for videos?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Good news is the Pens will score 7 goals a game. The bad news is the Pens will allow 8 goals a game.

Alucard

Banned
Good news is the Pens will score 7 goals a game. The bad news is the Pens will allow 8 goals a game.

Not with MAF in his prime, man. Rags scored 2 goals on him in 4 of 5 playoff games, and only got 3 past him once. They won in 5 games because the Pens couldn't score. And MAF's regular season numbers were good as well. 10 shutouts don't happen by accident. The Pens are primed for a #deeprun.

Red_Man

The only deep run a Pens player will be going on is Phil's first buffet run in Pittsburgh

Jblanks

don't know if they can afford it, but if Pens can sign Franson to the Green contract they'd be pretty set

They gotta sign like 5-6 players with only like 6mil cap space.

They going to have to score a lot of goals to win; which they will be capable of, they have to hope Crosby/Letang/Malkin stay healthy, which I wouldn't bet on.

Let's look at the Lines that might happen now shall we?

Pacioretty-Pleks/DD-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Pleks/DD-(???)
DLR-Eller-DSP/Weise/Kassian
(???)-Flynn-Mitchell/Kassian/Weise

Wow this team looks empty without Prust or PAP.

Move onto Defense

Subban-Markov/Petry
Beaulieu-Petry/Gilbert
Pateryn-Gilbert/Emelin

Price

Tokes

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
oh god i just woke up from a nap

today really happened and it wasn't a nightmare

ezgif-2363960026_zpswhlur6vp.gif~original

Watch Kessel get his first serious injury and miss half the season, just because.

he had shoulder surgery when on the broons

cube444

As a Pens fan I'm so happy they didn't trade Pouliot. Still can't believe Rutherford pulled the trade off without giving Maata or Pouliot up.

Also anybody know a way to get around the tsn region restrictions for videos?

Why can't you believe that? A very limited market for Kessel and he's coming over with not the greatest of reputation.

Leafs were just looking to get rid of him.

RevoDS

Let's look at the Lines that might happen now shall we?

Pacioretty-Pleks/DD-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Pleks/DD-(???)
DLR-Eller-DSP/Weise/Kassian
(???)-Flynn-Mitchell/Kassian/Weise

Wow this team looks empty without Prust or PAP.

Move onto Defense

Subban-Markov/Petry
Beaulieu-Petry/Gilbert
Pateryn-Gilbert/Emelin

Price

Tokes
Dream lines:
Patches-Pleks-Gallagher
Hudon-Galchenyuk-Desharnais
DLR-Eller-Kassian
Someone(Andrighetto?)-Michell/Flynn-Weise

Beaulieu-Subban
Markov-Petry
Pateryn-Gilbert

Logic: Give Galchenyuk a honest try at center but not at first line so he can ease into it. Give Markov easier minutes, he's beginning to have a little trouble keeping pace. Give younger guys a shot at proving their worth generally.

Not gonna happen but hey, I tried...

Red_Man

Dream lines:
Patches-Pleks-Gallagher
Hudon-Galchenyuk-Desharnais
DLR-Eller-Kassian
Someone(Andrighetto?)-Michell/Flynn-Weise

Beaulieu-Subban
Markov-Petry
Pateryn-Gilbert

Logic: Give Galchenyuk a honest try at center but not at first line so he can ease into it. Give Markov easier minutes, he's beginning to have a little trouble keeping pace. Give younger guys a shot at proving their worth generally.

Not gonna happen but hey, I tried...
Aside from AGally playing C, my other biggest want for next season is Beaulieu playing with Subban. He's ready for it, but there's no way Therrien will give him that kind of promotion. Also, I'm quite confident McCarron will get a legit shot out of camp, Hudon & Scherbak may get good looks too. McCarron is exactly what they want right now.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Someone should do the whole breakdown for the Leafs and Bruins about the Kessel-Seguin trade and see what they got left from it

... okay I'll do it

Leafs gained
Nick Spaling
Kasperi Kapanen
Scott Harrington
2016 #3rd-round
2016 #1st-round

Leafs given up
Tyler Seguin
Jared Knight
Dougie Hamilton
Tim Erixon
Tyler Biggs
2016 #2nd-round

Bruins gained
Zack Phillips
Loui Eriksson
Joe Morrow
Jimmy Hayes
2015 #14 Jake DeBrusk
2015 #45 Jakob Karlsson
2015 #52 Jeremy Lauzon

Bruins given up
Rich Peverley
Ryan Button
Phil Kessel
Marc Savard's contract

I'm gonna go ahead here and say the Bruins still came out on top overall :lol

Seguin and Hamilton for essentially Kapanen and a late 1st-rounder is lol. The Bruins at least have Eriksson to show...

Red_Man

Quick making me feel bad about the glee I took in the trade today :(

Edit: Yo Smiley that post is NSFW man, that's harsh.

Someone should do the whole breakdown for the Leafs and Bruins about the Kessel-Seguin trade and see what they got left from it

... okay I'll do it

Leafs gained
Nick Spaling
Kasperi Kapanen
Scott Harrington
2016 #3rd-round
2016 #1st-round

Leafs given up
Tyler Seguin
Jared Knight
Dougie Hamilton
Tim Erixon
Tyler Biggs
2016 #2nd-round

Bruins gained
Zack Phillips
Loui Eriksson
Joe Morrow
Jimmy Hayes
2015 #14 Jake DeBrusk
2015 #45 Jakob Karlsson
2015 #52 Jeremy Lauzon

Bruins given up
Rich Peverley
Ryan Button
Phil Kessel
Marc Savard's contract

I'm gonna go ahead here and say the Bruins still came out on top overall :lol

Seguin and Hamilton for essentially Kapanen and a late 1st-rounder is lol. The Bruins at least have Eriksson to show...

What a crazy mess.

I wish the Leafs had just stayed the course and drafted Seguin, because he'd look great in blue and white.

zroid

Banned
Burke:
trades for Kessel and offers up 1sts even though the team is terrible enough to yield a 2nd overall and another top 10 pick; both picks eventually become an elite Centre and D-man

Nonis:
signs Kessel to a huge (albeit market value) contract for max term, then signs all the other inferior "core" players on the team to huge overpaid contracts that hamstring them and guarantee that Kessel will never be surrounded with good enough talent to make the team successful

Shanahan:
trades Kessel away for peanuts and retains salary for 7 years

That Leafs Life

Burke:
trades for Kessel and offers up 1sts even though the team is terrible enough to yield a 2nd overall and another top 10 pick; both picks eventually become an elite Centre and D-man

Nonis:
signs Kessel to a huge (albeit market value) contract for max term, then signs all the other inferior "core" players on the team to huge overpaid contracts that hamstring them and guarantee that Kessel will never be surrounded with good enough talent to make the team successful

Shanahan:

That Leafs Life

Those peanuts are what the Leafs need right now though.

The good thing is that Shannahan made the smartest move out of the three. The other two were stupid.

Here's hoping those peanuts pan out, and that next year's draft pick will be a good one.

Jblanks

Burke:

Nonis:

Shanahan:

That Leafs Life

Kunitz and Scuderi weren't waving their NTC clause to come to T.O, so we had to retain salary. Pouliot wasn't an option in a trade for us, our return wasn't peanuts, Pittsburgh was the only team that offered a worthwhile trade while also having us retain the least amount. That's what happens when idiots like Nonuts signs contracts like these.

And Kessel (and the rest of our core) have to and will be traded.

Quick

Banned
GOD DAMN IT.

This Kessel trade is just fucked. But at the same time, necessary. This is the pain that Babcock and Shanahan told us we'd feel. On the first official day of FA.

Retaining salary? Fucking hell. I guess no one was going to take his contract in full.

The return is just...meh. Kapanen? Shit better turn into a stud. Harrington? Give me a report on this guy, Pens-Age, if you bandwagon fucks even exist right now.

What I really hate are media scum like Steve Simmons tryin to run Kessel out of town finally getting their wish. It's really pathetic the way Phil was treated by the media here and I hope he gets better treatment and more appropriate recognition in Pittsburgh.
Him with either Crosby or Malkin is going to be hot fiyah.

Not hating on Dubas or Shanahan, but I feel like there was more value to be had for the deal.

zroid

Banned
I think the optics of moving Kessel before Bozak and Lupul, and even Phaneuf, might be what stings the most. But it makes sense. They wanted to move all four, and Kessel is the best player so he garnered the most interest.

I fully believe they did the best they could at this moment in time, but IMO they shouldn't have cowed to the rest of the league so easily. The Leafs were obviously in a position of weakness in terms of their rebuild and Kessel's down year, and they were plainly taken advantage of. There's no guarantee his value would've gone up next summer, but the chances of it dropping were close to nil.

I hope Kapanen turns into something. I read today he is being projected as a 2nd line winger, which is good but it doesn't even come close to replacing the talent that was given up. Let's hope they're in the basement again next year and maybe win one of the three lotteries. If that was really the aim here, to shed talent ASAP so they're bad, then fine. That isn't the kind of rebuild I wanted, but it does work. Now it needs to actually happen.

Kunitz and Scuderi weren't waving their NTC clause to come to T.O, so we had to retain salary. Pouliot wasn't an option in a trade for us, our return wasn't peanuts, Pittsburgh was the only team that offered a worthwhile trade while also having us retain the least amount. That's what happens when idiots like Nonuts signs contracts like these.

And Kessel (and the rest of our core) have to and will be traded.

Dubas was basically saying today that they did everything they could to get the best return possible and I believe him. If they were really completely set on trading the core players ASAP then we just have to live with it. This is the value he has right now. Everyone knew the value was at a low point.

eyeless

shanahan only made the smartest move out of the three by default, we still got absolutely fleeced

the only solace is that it's not the kind of fleecing that directly damages our current team really ('cept maybe the retaining), phil's scoring is no benefit to us, it's only a hindrance, we're not trying to win for the next couple years, our core has to go, phil had to go, even though i love him and he's fantastic, the problem is we should have got more

but he had to go and his points were absolutely worthless for us the next couple years, so while this is a bonafide fleecing, at least while comparable to something like, for example, forsberg for a bag of pucks (sry caps-gaf), the important difference is washington is trying to win and could sorely use forsberg, which doesn't apply here

and hey maybe kapanen and the first will work out in our favor probably not tho why would it

let me reiterate tho that it was an absolutely horrendous trade by the management

Fei

Toronto is following the Buffalo rebuild method here. The problem is the return for Kessel is about what Buffalo got for Paul Gaustad. If this was the best they could have gotten for Kessel, wait for the trade deadline. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to trade your best piece if that's the best offer. Sure, his goals might hurt you in striving for last, but the top 3 picks are up for lottery this year anyway. Let it ride.

eyeless

Toronto is following the Buffalo rebuild method here. The problem is the return for Kessel is about what Buffalo got for Paul Gaustad.
one plus we've got, if you can call it that, is that we are already have two top prospects in marner and nylander when starting our rebuild, it's weird to say to say but in retrospect what happened to us the last two seaons where we played through most of the season with hope and still winning games with a fun to watch goal-scoring top line (we were in fact the highest scoring team, before..) but then near the end/halfway through suddenly collapsing and crashing down the standings allowed us to not have miserable hopeless from the beginning seasons where there was no joy to be had watching games and still get top picks in the end

so our miserable seasons to come comparable to the sabres last two at least start with two top prospects in the bank, i'm sure we won't get any top two picks or a center as good as eichel tho the leafs would never get so lucky

Top Bottom