• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
If Kapanen falls short of being a 25 goal winger / top 6 winger at least, I don't see the media / fans taking to him too kindly.

Eller doesn't even hit posts, he just goes into a state of coma and completely screws up the chance.

so he's like a reverse Ovechkin?

zroid

Banned
If your feeling pissed off at the deal, shouldn't you be more upset with Kessel for collecting a massive cheque and playing like shit for 4 months?

Give me a break. Everyone on the team played like shit. Trying to build a case around the lowest point in Phil's career, where nobody around him was able to support him is ridiculous.

Why not look at actual data instead of relying on media-driven narratives?

In the first 41 games of the season he generated 138 individual scoring chances, scoring 18 goals. In the second 41 games he generated 133 individual scoring chances, scoring 7 goals. His shooting % in the two halves of the season were 15% and 4.7% respectively.

but no obviously he played like total shit and it wasn't just a massive sh% dip that was collectively faced by the entire team. and I'm sure his sh% is going to stay well below his career average next year, that seems like a safe assumption to make, right? (lol)

Calamari41

41 > 38
This just illustrates everything wrong with Toronto media. Fuck hacks like Simmons and Feschuk:

zQe1Kv5.png

Makes me grateful for the fact that the Orange County hockey media consists of a guy who spends most of his column space telling stories about negative experiences he has had in the city of the Ducks' current opponent.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
This management group so far has done a good job insulating and protecting Nylander from the Toronto media. I expect the same for Marner.

Last year when we turned into complete shit a lot of the media were demanding the Leafs bring up Nylander for a few games just to show us what might come.

Dubas and Shanahan stayed firm in that he was not coming up what so ever despite how much demand there was. It ended up disappearing when they realized he wasn't going to come up just for the sake of it.

dem

I'm shocked Leaf fans don't like the return

When Shanahan said he was going to tear it down.. what did you think you were going to get for Kessel? Real players?

zroid

Banned

When Shanahan said he was going to tear it down.. what did you think you were going to get for Kessel? Real players?

how about not retaining salary for 7 years and not giving away a 2nd round pick?

but no keep telling me this was a good trade. i'm sure everyone will be thrilled with it when Phil gets 40+ goals next year and Kapanen tops out as a middle six winger. Especially Pens fans.

Yawnier

Banned
Kasperi Bustanen

Whose Left as UFAs?

Dan Cleary, Joel Ward, Johnny Oduya, Cody Franson, John Scott

A better prospect, and a first round pick without a stupid condition (pens will make the playoffs), but it would be typical loleafs for the pens to miss the playoffs these next two seasons and only get a 2017 second rounder from Kessel though.

dem

how about not retaining salary for 7 years and not giving away a 2nd round pick?

but no keep telling me this was a good trade. i'm sure everyone will be thrilled with it when Phil gets 40+ goals next year and Kapanen tops out as a middle six winger. Especially Pens fans.

I'm not saying its a good trade.

But when your local media runs your reputation into the ground, you make a lot of money and the cap isn't moving, you have a NTC, and your team wants you out of the locker room... what can you realistically expect?

The circus that surrounded the leafs for the last few years has put them in a terrible situation.

Next up, Dion Phaneuf.

zroid

Banned
Trevor Smith signed in Bern. Good for him.

I'm not saying its a good trade.

But when your local media runs your reputation into the ground, you make a lot of money and the cap isn't moving, you have a NTC, and your team wants you out of the locker room... what can you realistically expect?

The circus that surrounded the leafs for the last few years has put them in a terrible situation.

Like i said earlier, what I realistically expected is, if this is the best they could do, then not trading him until at the very least they gave him a chance to rebound. If that's next summer so be it. It's the stench of desperation and a failure to properly value their asset that reeks.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Apparently the Canucks also signed Matt Bartkowski? How'd I miss that? Cheap deal, can't be too bad, replacement for Stanton probably.

dem

Like i said earlier, what I realistically expected is, if this is the best they could do, then not trading him until at the very least they gave him a chance to rebound. If that's next summer so be it. It's the stench of desperation and a failure to properly value their asset that reeks.

It would be an even bigger circus if they rolled into camp with Kessel and co still leafs.

Give me a break. Everyone on the team played like shit. Trying to build a case around the lowest point in Phil's career, where nobody around him was able to support him is ridiculous.

Why not look at actual data instead of relying on media-driven narratives?

In the first 41 games of the season he generated 138 individual scoring chances, scoring 18 goals. In the second 41 games he generated 133 individual scoring chances, scoring 7 goals. His shooting % in the two halves of the season were 15% and 4.7% respectively.

but no obviously he played like total shit and it wasn't just a massive sh% dip that was collectively faced by the entire team. and I'm sure his sh% is going to stay well below his career average next year, that seems like a safe assumption to make, right? (lol)

I see we've reached the Anger stage of the grieving process.

I KID.

Zroid, all of this is true. But it's also true that Kessel, as the highest paid player on the team and the one 'star', is going to get much of the blame for the team's anemic offence in the 2nd half of the season. Acknowledging that reality is not 'relying on media-driven narratives' - in fact, that's clearly what the rest of the league was thinking, else the interest in getting him would have been much greater.

Couple this with the off the ice quirks, as referenced in Mirtle's article, and you have the trade environment the Leafs f/o has been forced to work in. I think it sucks, and it is unfair given what you've pointed out, but it is what it is.

Red_Man said:
You'd be naive to believe that.

I don't think Kapanen will be pressured by the fan base to succeed because 1) he's not going to be in the NHL for a couple years at least and 2) he's not going to be a centre-piece of the rebuild.

That *can* change however if the Penguins end up missing the playoffs in 2016 and 2017 and the Leafs only end up with him, Harrington and the 3rd round pick from the trade.

dem

Kessel's NTC list: Boston, Chicago, LA, Minnesota, Montreal, NYR, Philly, and Pittsburgh

You don't see why you might have trouble getting return on the guy?

Boston.. lol. Hilarious choice by Phil.

a bunch of caphell destinations

For those that may be watching him closer, but does Kapanen look like he will start this coming season with the Leafs? I have him in fantasy.

Yawnier

Banned
I've been a bit surprised at how many penguins fans have said that Kapanen is only 20 or 30 AHL games season away from the NHL.

I think with the whole not bringing up prospects until they are 100% ready, he is at least a full AHL season away from the NHL. Perhaps I'll be proved wrong

zroid

Banned

I KID.

Zroid, all of this is true. But it's also true that Kessel, as the highest paid player on the team and the one 'star', is going to get much of the blame for the team's anemic offence in the 2nd half of the season. Acknowledging that reality is not 'relying on media-driven narratives' - in fact, that's clearly what the rest of the league was thinking, else the interest in getting him would have been much greater.

Couple this with the off the ice quirks, as referenced in Mirtle's article, and you have the trade environment the Leafs f/o has been forced to work in. I think it sucks, and it is unfair given what you've pointed out, but it is what it is.

Hey you aren't wrong. I was sad yesterday, then I slept on it and the anger had a chance to fester a bit. :lol

Anyway I need to take a break from the hockey news cycle for a couple days. Maybe I'll actually play a video game or something.

Marlies are going to be sexy next year.

Don't bother watching the Leafs.

yesss Marlies will actually be fun to watch. it's nice having a real life farm system for once. Too bad the shitty CHL agreement means no Marner. Hope some London Knights games will be televised.

yyzjohn

Banned

I KID.

I don't think Kapanen will be pressured by the fan base to succeed because 1) he's not going to be in the NHL for a couple years at least and 2) he's not going to be a centre-piece of the rebuild.

That *can* change however if the Penguins end up missing the playoffs in 2016 and 2017 and the Leafs only end up with him, Harrington and the 3rd round pick from the trade.

There's already reports that Kapanen might be just a 3rd line player, any expectations are based on whether he gets any better than that. I don't think he'll have any huge pressure to be great because he came in for Phil. Fans will be focused on the guys that are supposed to become high-end players. Rielly, Marner, Nylander right now. If those guys don't pan out, people will be pissed.

Foggy

Dreaming of a David Clarkson-Greg Campbell-Rene Bourque 4th line. Sounds like my kind of horrorshow.

More food for thought: Kessel should start fresh and think of a re-branding. I'm thinking a legal name change to Phil Kesselchuk.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
There's already reports that Kapanen might be just a 3rd line player, any expectations are based on whether he gets any better than that. I don't think he'll have any huge pressure to be great because he came in for Phil. Fans will be focused on the guys that are supposed to become high-end players. Rielly, Marner, Nylander right now. If those guys don't pan out, people will be pissed.

Kapanen is only 18. He was drafted as a 17 year old. to put in perspective, kadri started playing in the AHL as a 20 year old.

Parch

There's already reports that Kapanen might be just a 3rd line player, any expectations are based on whether he gets any better than that.
That's what they said during the Frenzy too. Kapanen isn't going to be much, if anything at all.

The Pens deal was supposedly the lowest amount of salary retention the Leafs could get. Zero teams were willing to take on Kessel's full contract, so basically the Leafs couldn't give him away for the full salary dump.

So they get a 1st and junk for retaining some salary. It was a combo of terrible contract and a player that few teams want. They were never going to get much.

Keep Kessel and hope for more later? Or take the best dump offer and go full tank this season? Tough decision for Leaf management.

Mentok

Banned
Now we wait for JVR, Mr. Glass, Phaneuf and Bozak to be traded.

Did he request a trade?! I don't see him going anywhere otherwise.

I'm late to the talk I know, but I'm intrigued by the Kassian/Prust deal. I know Prust is a "heart and soul" type player, but with Kassian I can't help but feel more optimistic that the puck has a better chance of going in the net. Plus with the freed up money they can make a better bridge deal for AGally. Plus if Kassian doesn't pan out, he's gone in a year, when there's a potentially better UFA pool.

I don't think they're done yet either though. I don't see Eller lasting the whole season.

That's what they said during the Frenzy too. Kapanen isn't going to be much, if anything at all.

The Pens deal was supposedly the lowest amount of salary retention the Leafs could get. Zero teams were willing to take on Kessel's full contract, so basically the Leafs couldn't give him away for the full salary dump.

So they get a 1st and junk for retaining some salary. It was a combo of terrible contract and a player that few teams want. They were never going to get much.

Keep Kessel and hope for more later? Or take the best dump offer and go full tank this season? Tough decision for Leaf management.

Yes I think this was the dilemma that the Leafs had. Offers weren't going to get better for Kessel: his contract is long and the teams on his list have their best players locked up long-term. Everyone knew he was capable of 40 goals even after a down year.

Top Bottom