• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

So right now our lineup is shaking out to be:

Karlsson-Jumbo-Pavs
Marleau-Couture-Nieto
Hertl-Tierney-Wingels
Torres-Smith-Ward

Vlasic-Braun
Martin-Burns
Dillon-Mueller

Jones
Stalock

Ward will probably get time with the Joes too. If we could get a better 4th line center and another depth dman we'd be in really good shape. Goaltending will be interesting to watch.

Looks good but I would much rather see something like this (semantics basically)...

Pavelski - Thornton - Karlsson
Marleau - Couture - Nieto
Wingels - Hertl - Ward
Smith - Tierney - Goodrow

Vlasic - Braun
Burns - Martin
Dillon - Mueller

Jones
Stalock

That's based on Torres not being fit. Depth is looking good.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Phaneuf wasn't even bad. Gardiner wasn't reallllllly good defensively either..

Actually, he was.

you know why gardiner crushes all the others in possession stats? he usually kills a play dead and transitions to attack.

people focus on one or two bad giveaways when it's the neutralization that matters and it's not something people notice... because it prevents crazy shit from happening in the back end.

you see phaneuf make a lousy give away, then zone out players and people are like "omg look at him he's so good"

then same scenario with gardiner and he shuts down the play and moves the puck out of the zone avoiding the entire gongshow from even occurring.

People don't understand what they're watching or what they're supposed to be looking for when finding someone good at defense.

zroid

Banned
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I don't follow this line of thinking...how does moving Kessel out first decrease Phaneuf or Bozak's value?

Because the second they hit the ice... there's a good chance they look a whole lot worse without kessel

It's partly what Dopey said. When you trade away Kessel everyone else will look worse because they're going to be on a significantly worse team. Bozak in particular is going to tank.

More importantly though, think about it from the perspective of the other GMs. Before the offseason everyone thought the Leafs were desperate to trade their core players. That's not a good position to be in. Basically they showed their hand by moving their best player for so little, and even worse, by retaining salary.

How do you expect they'll trade Phaneuf without retaining salary now? It's practically impossible. They can't afford to retain on two contracts long term simultaneously, that'll badly hamstring their ability to trade rentals and short term contracts.

It's going to be very difficult to trade the other core players now. They'd likely have to take on a bad contract AND retain salary. It's going to be a problem.

calder

Hmm, I thought signing bonus wasn't included in buyouts for some reason.
It's not, there's no salary cap circumvention benefit to having the salary be mostly bonuses, but it means there's no team benefit to a buy out as it doesn't save the team much money, cap or real.

It also means that in the event of a work stoppage you still get the bonus money. So some safety for ROR, but no real benefit to the team - unless there's a work stoppage (or they want to buy him out) there's no detriment to them either.

zroid

Banned
best offence in baseball is getting no-hit woooooooo

fucking blue jays

the whole world is conspiring to make me sad right now

Curufinwe

Flyers sign Provorov to his ELC. Seems like there's a good chance of him starting the year in the NHL.

Provorovscreengrab2.png

zroid

Banned
They can't look much worse than they did last season! And again, I think Bozak's being moved in the offseason. He's already getting interest from other teams like the Coyotes.

I think this only really applies to Phaneuf. And I think they'll hold onto him and wait for his value to increase before moving him. Basically what they should have done with Kessel.

I hope you're right on both counts but Phaneuf has been declining for a while. It's not going to be pretty. There's a slim chance Babcock uses him more efficiently (as an offensive defenceman basically) and ekes some value out but I'm scepttical.

The thirst is real.

Parch was the first in line

Yawnier

Banned
It's funny how quite a few defencemen have yet to sign. Possibly asking for too much?

Someone said today that Oduya was holding out for the blackhawks to make some cap room for him to sign

I don't know about the rest of them, like Franson and Ehrhoff. It's possible.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
What I find most surprising from that article is that PHIL KESSEL'S PHONE NUMBER IS IN THE PHONE BOOK?!

iLLmAtlc

Wait da thrill scored among the best at the fitness test?

And you still have lard asses like Simmons and oneil calling him fat the whole year?

Seriously that's disgraceful on so many levels

DopeyFish

Wait da thrill scored among the best at the fitness test?

And you still have lard asses like Simmons and oneil calling him fat the whole year?

Seriously that's disgraceful on so many levels

oh yeah

there was rumor that he came into camp out of shape

and then it was found out he slaughtered everyone else on the team in fitness tests lol

Kessel is a natural athlete, though. Every single person in his family is an athlete. his mom. his dad. his brother. his sister. Him being out of shape would still probably be better than the average NHL player. I assume what Leafs didn't like is he didn't show as much effort in maintaining shape... not necessarily in playing the game.

Cake Boss

Banned
The other day on Leafs Lunch, Bryan Hayes also known for HfBoardsToronto biggest poster and trade proposals extrodinaire or aka Gaming_Noob, was saying that the media didn't push Kessel out of town, it was the management who had the final descion and they don't listen to fans or the media.

Foggy

Steve Rosenbloom from the Chicago Tribune's column on the Saad trade is GOLD!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ks-trade-saad-rosenbloom-20150701-column.html

Brandon Saad will get his money from the Blue Jackets, and he’d better enjoy it because he just got buried.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman consigned the young, talented, money-hunting winger to one of the NHL’s maximum security prisons.

Again, I could be wrong, but Bowman not only changed on the fly when Saad’s side reportedly demanded $6 million a year, but he also seemed to send a message to other players who want to take a hard stance in negotiations. You can collect your jackpot in hockey’s hinterlands.

Such moves aren’t new in the NHL -- all sports, actually. Teams have tried to punish players this way for years.

It’s why Buffalo, Winnipeg and Edmonton have existed in the NHL. It’s why Oakland and Jacksonville exist in the NFL. It’s why Sacramento and Philadelphia exist in the NBA. It’s why Cleveland exists, period.

The Hawks will see Saad when the regular season calls for it. Saad likely will spend the spring watching his former teammates defend the title he helped win.

Sodium Chloride

iLLmAtlc

Also get TSN to stop putting on a guy who makes shit up for the purposes of writing smear articles as an "analyst".

I think the whole reporters thing is stupid. Why are these guys authoritative hockey analysts? They're watching and don't have any nhl experience like everyone else

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
LeafsGAF is getting it out of their system. Let it all out guys.

I think I'm gonna be like this when Montreal Runs Price or Subban out of town.
They already tried to run Price out of town. Thank God Gainey made the one good decision of his management career by keeping him. Subban isn't going anywhere.

DopeyFish

He's not even a Leaf anymore and he's still all you guys talk about. Smh.

So the leafs prospect camp list came out today

57 players are going to show off their goods (and a few will not be attending). Last year there was only 29. It's a different feeling... knowing we actually drafted players for once.

Oh and leafs signed AHL superstar Byron Froese to a two year contract.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I can't read the Saad article without subscribing wtf is that, someone mind copypasting?

Top Bottom