• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

iLLmAtlc

Maybe this will work for you. Arace addresses all the juicy bits:
http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2015/07/04/arace-column.html

Besides, he's just saying what we all know. It's common knowledge that you haven't arrived as a hockey town until your city has a police black site.

Wow can't decide what was worse between the Chicago and Simmons articles

One thing I'll agree with is Chicago did send a message to other players, but it has nothing to do with Columbus. I'm guessing Saad thought he could put some pressure on Chicago because of the looming offer sheet and they said fuck that and dumped his ass. They're not gonna be pushed around.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Ryan O'Reilly's contract with Buffalo really fucks the Rangers over something fierce. Why?

Here are ROR's career stats (let's just stick to regular season, because throwing the playoffs in is flat out unfair):
427 GP, 90 G, 156 A, 246 Pts., 49.8 CF%, 48.3 oZS%

Here's Derek Stepan's career regular season stats:
362 GP, 89 G, 163 A, 252 Pts., 50.7% CF%, 47.4 oZS%

Pretty strikingly similar stat lines, right? So in 65 fewer games, Stepan has nearly exactly ROR's goal total, more assists and points, and a higher even strength Corsi percentage despite starting in the offensive zone less frequently.
To be fair to O'Reilly, his relative Corsi % is better than Stepan's, and he's much better on faceoffs than Stepan.

The Rangers really can't afford a dime over 6 million for Stepan.

ROR got 7.5 million.

Ryan O'Reilly's contract with Buffalo really fucks the Rangers over something fierce. Why?

Here are ROR's career stats (let's just stick to regular season, because throwing the playoffs in is flat out unfair):
427 GP, 90 G, 156 A, 246 Pts., 49.8 CF%, 48.3 oZS%

Here's Derek Stepan's career regular season stats:
362 GP, 89 G, 163 A, 252 Pts., 50.7% CF%, 47.4 oZS%

Pretty strikingly similar stat lines, right? So in 65 fewer games, Stepan has nearly exactly ROR's goal total, more assists and points, and a higher even strength Corsi percentage despite starting in the offensive zone less frequently.
To be fair to O'Reilly, his relative Corsi % is better than Stepan's, and he's much better on faceoffs than Stepan.

The Rangers really can't afford a dime over 6 million for Stepan.

ROR got 7.5 million.

Payback for Drury!

zroid

Banned
lol okay

KiDgYlp.png

CJCCbvBWcAAQm_3.jpg

Quick

Banned
Parch was the first in line

I won't let this go unnoticed, because LOL.

Wait da thrill scored among the best at the fitness test?

And you still have lard asses like Simmons and oneil calling him fat the whole year?

Seriously that's disgraceful on so many levels

This was posted her last year too. Phil was one of the fittest guys coming into camp.

Even if the hot dog story was real, holy shit, it's one fucking hot dog a day. That amounts to nothing to a dude that plays hockey for 6 months of the year. He probably burns off whatever calories come from that hot dog in his first shift.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

This was posted her last year too. Phil was one of the fittest guys coming into camp.

Even if the hot dog story was real, holy shit, it's one fucking hot dog a day. That amounts to nothing to a dude that plays hockey for 6 months of the year. He probably burns off whatever calories come from that hot dog in his first shift.
You need an avatar, I don't recognize Quick without the Kessel :(

I will fight anyone who shits on those street vendor hot dogs in Toronto, those things are gifts from God at 2 in the morning.

Pikma

Banned

Even if it was 10 fucking hot dogs a day, it's none of our bussiness. These guys are fucking humans too and they have a life to live. We shouldn't be judging them for what they eat, or for what they decide to do or not to do off the ice, not even if that something affects his performance as an athlete, which is not even the case.

And I guess I'm part of the problem too since I've made food related jokes about him before but that never meant I actually believed them nor that I cared about it.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Didn't Michael Phelps talk about eating like ten big macs per day when he was slaughtering everyone else in the world?

One hot dog per day to a professional athlete is like if you or I had a chip.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
You guys are missing the point, obviously if he ate kale and quinoa everyday instead of hotdogs he'd score 90 goals a season and the Leafs never would have missed the playoffs.

Fei

That's a lot of money for ROR, but not more than expected at his point. Our depth at center sure did a 180 in the last two weeks.

Quick

Banned
Even if it was 10 fucking hot dogs a day, it's none of our bussiness. These guys are fucking humans too and they have a life to live. We shouldn't be judging them for what they eat, or for what they decide to do or not to do off the ice, not even if that something affects his performance as an athlete, which is not even the case.

And I guess I'm part of the problem too since I've made food related jokes about him before but that never meant I actually believed them nor that I cared about it.

Definitely none of our business. And we've all made the food jokes, but the difference is a lot of us here can recognize Kessel's abilities.

It's sad that we've put this much care in a Steve Simmons shit piece, but I'm also glad people are calling him out on his bullshit.

You guys are missing the point, obviously if he ate kale and quinoa everyday instead of hotdogs he'd score 90 goals a season and the Leafs never would have missed the playoffs.

Quinoa? That's an animal, right?

iLLmAtlc

Well put. Honestly it comes off as bullying to me, they're picking on his appearance even if it has nothing to do with his play. Disgusting behaviour for professionals.

zychi

Banned
That guy is an idiot and whoever makes generalizations about Chicago because of that idiot is also an idiot
I love his "they werent on tv, they werent good, no one was going until....they fixed the team via the draft, put em back on tv, and the shitty owner died."

That happens to every team. Give the CBJ another sport in their town, and watch their attendance drop when they suck.

I went to the allstar game this year, fun city, fun brewerys. Not much else to do in that city. Cab driver told us the hotspots are strip clubs.

Parch

If you haven't figured it out yet, sports media are scumbags. It started with print media struggling to sell papers so they went tabloid by focusing on the negative. Now everybody does it, and the flood of hockey media in Canada only causes a rat race to see who can be the most sensationalistic prick.

What's particularly disturbing is how incredibly effective it is. A city's media can cause a fanbase to turn on the team. A constant negative focus on a player can make him hated. And it ends up with the media having WAAAY too much power in sports. Plus these media pricks actually believe they are an important and integral part of sports in their town.

At some point it became less "reporting" and more "analysis". Screw the analysts. Their opinion is no more important than yours, but only if you base your opinion on what you see and not what you hear.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
And pretty much the only the Pens wanted Kessel. In 3 years they'll be looking to unload him too,
While 6.8 mil is easier to take on, I wonder if there has ever been two teams to retain salary on the same player?

Next season is really going to be a shit show...
Assuming we don't sign or trade anyone else, I don't know who is going to score for this team.

It's nice to have players with positive possession, but what's the point if we have the puck all the time but can't put it in the net???

Babcock isn't going to suddenly turn Bozak in Datsyuk :/

Marvie_3

Banned
While 6.8 mil is easier to take on, I wonder if there has ever been two teams to retain salary on the same player?

Next season is really going to be a shit show...
Assuming we don't sign or trade anyone else, I don't know who is going to score for this team.

It's nice to have players with positive possession, but what's the point if we have the puck all the time but can't put it in the net???

Babcock isn't going to suddenly turn Bozak in Datsyuk :/
Bryan Bickell can score for you guys.

Twice.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Grieving? Please man, the logo is bigger than any one player. I was over Kessel the second after the trade was announced.

Good for you.

Nobody here is putting Kessel over the Leafs, we're upset a player we really liked got moved out of the team. That's fairly normal.

Nobody here is screaming they're done with the Leafs because they traded Kessel. That would be putting the player over the team.

Top Bottom