• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Yo dog way to leave Kaeptain out of the Kings list

And dubbed off panthers

And dem off oilers

And Fifty, Kabuki Waq off leafs

And Marty Chinn off sharks

And FOOTE off blues

That Leroy guy for BJs

There are others that I know are missing but their usernames escape me

eyeless

And dubbed off panthers

And dem off oilers

And Fifty, Kabuki Waq off leafs

And Marty Chinn off sharks

And FOOTE off blues

That Leroy guy for BJs

There are others that I know are missing but their usernames escape me
2YkNxxs.gif

The consensus top 3 as of now is Matthews, Chychrun, and Puljujarvi (could be in a slight different order). After that it becomes a bit of a wash. If the leafs win one of the three lottery picks it will be huge.

Will Ny's little bro is projected to go somewhere in the late 1st/early 2nd.

It's kind of hard to look at mock drafts this early though and see here some players go. Some players come out of nowhere like who might have been passed over once or let's say who were drafted later in the CHL draft and skyrocket up the rankings, and some players with expectations who end up having a mediocre season will drop like a rock (like Nicolas Roy in this year's draft)

Yeah exactly. Like last year Kylington was battling with Hanifin for top defender a year out from the draft but he dropped and went last pick in the second round.

And then a guy like Provorov, who was on nobody's radar as even being a top-45 pick, ended up going #7 to the Flyers.

Its still fun to look but kinda crazy. Speaking of, I was on one of the hockey blogs listed with the CBJ stuff last page and they had an article talking about kids in the 2018 draft. That's insane to me. They're like 15 years old right now.

Fei

I'm worried that if the lottery comes down to Arizona vs Leafs, good old Gerrrad Bettman will ensure Matthews goes to Arizona since he was born there. Would make for a great story and might help save that pathetic franchise. All due respect to Arizona fans on here (oh wait there are none)

McDavid ended up in Edmonton. I think we can put this type of conspiracy theory to rest.

Draft lotteries are going to be epic in the coming years. Every non-playoff team in it with three spots up for grabs? Meltdowns and freak outs will be expected.

LevelNth

Banned
Kessel being so athletic and quick still despite being such a lazy slob just exemplifies why he can't be the star on a team. He's spent his whole life coasting on his natural offensive talent he's completely eschewed any sort of work ethic or discipline because he's just never had to, and there is no worse role model to build a team around.

After what he displayed at the start of this year during the collapse, with his cap hit, I'm impressed anyone took him on. His talent cannot be denied to any degree, but anyone who grew up playing hockey in Southern Ontario knew 50 Kessel's whose talent alone only took them so far before fizzling out. Kessel is this guy just so insanely talented he's been able to go all the way.

It sucks that he's so talented and undeniably skilled, but he showed what he can contribute as the star, and moving forward, I want no part of that anymore for the Leafs. I'm glad they pulled the trigger and got what they could now, because who knows if his play would've even continued to get worse, especially under Babcock.

Yawnier

Banned
Yeah exactly. Like last year Kylington was battling with Hanifin for top defender a year out from the draft but he dropped and went last pick in the second round.

And then a guy like Provorov, who was on nobody's radar as even being a top-45 pick, ended up going #7 to the Flyers.

Its still fun to look but kinda crazy. Speaking of, I was on one of the hockey blogs listed with the CBJ stuff last page and they had an article talking about kids in the 2018 draft. That's insane to me. They're like 15 years old right now.

Provorov is a good one, in dec/jan projections had him going in the late 1st round.

Them talking about the 2018 draft already is nuts though, jesus

I'm worried that if the lottery comes down to Arizona vs Leafs, good old Gerrrad Bettman will ensure Matthews goes to Arizona since he was born there. Would make for a great story and might help save that pathetic franchise. All due respect to Arizona fans on here (oh wait there are none)

Why the hate? What is it about the Coyotes that fills Canadian hockey fans with such anger?

Is it because Hamilton can't get a team, or that Winnipeg lost its team for the desert? Or some misplaced Bettman thing?

Arizona is the most nonthreatening hockey clubs around and fanbases around. People from Vancouver can buy a plane ticket, hotel room, and lower bowl seats in Phoenix for less than seats alone back home.

The rink itself is a great place to watch a game, and the center its attached to has tons of great bars and restaurants. They even allow tailgating. It's a fantastic fan experience.

So instead of being such dicks about the Coyotes even existing, book a plane ticket and come check it out. Plenty of good seats available. They also have a Tim Horton's and serve Molson on draught. Plus, half the people that live in Arizona in the winter are from Canada anyways.

But ffs, let go of the anger and bitterness. Or is it that you pick on the Coyotes because you can't beat anyone else in a playoff series?

Why the hate? What is it about the Coyotes that fills Canadian hockey fans with such anger?

Is it because Hamilton can't get a team, or that Winnipeg lost its team for the desert? Or some misplaced Bettman thing?

Arizona is the most nonthreatening hockey clubs around and fanbases around. People from Vancouver can buy a plane ticket, hotel room, and lower bowl seats in Phoenix for less than seats alone back home.

The rink itself is a great place to watch a game, and the center its attached to has tons of great bars and restaurants. They even allow tailgating. It's a fantastic fan experience.

So instead of being such dicks about the Coyotes even existing, book a plane ticket and come check it out. Plenty of good seats available. They also have a Tim Horton's and serve Molson on draught. Plus, half the people that live in Arizona in the winter are from Canada anyways.

But ffs, let go of the anger and bitterness. Or is it that you pick on the Coyotes because you can't beat anyone else in a playoff series?

Absolutely, some of the hate to Arizona in spite of it's financial failures is insane. Then again, it feeds well into my theory that most Canadian hockey fans (The ones you see commenting on Facebook and Twitter, alongside the general population, though it leaks into places like here) just absolutely despise the fact that America is now an equal hockey power, not the plucky little underdog that'll get trampled under the might of Canada. It's like a bizarro kind of nationalism that only can be cooked up in Don Cheery's mind, in a way. You see it bleed into other sports as well, mostly where Canadians aren't the dominant nationality.

Quick

Banned

I don't think I've ever encountered any salt towards the Coyotes in recent years, The last time we had legitimate salt over them was during their 2012 playoff run against the Kings. Dirty plays and Mike Smith shenanigans that would seem to transfer over the those same Kings (more dirty plays than goalie shenanigans).

I think people are just tired of the ongoing drama surrounding the team and Glendale.

I personally really don't care about other Canadian cities getting a team.

yyzjohn

Banned
Absolutely, some of the hate to Arizona in spite of it's financial failures is insane. Then again, it feeds well into my theory that most Canadian hockey fans (The ones you see commenting on Facebook and Twitter, alongside the general population, though it leaks into places like here) just absolutely despise the fact that America is now an equal hockey power, not the plucky little underdog that'll get trampled under the might of Canada. It's like a bizarro kind of nationalism that only can be cooked up in Don Cheery's mind, in a way. You see it bleed into other sports as well, mostly where Canadians aren't the dominant nationality.

Wtf? It has to do with the fact that nobody in Arizona cares about hockey and they don't deserve a hockey team. The attendance is shit, they lose money hand over fist. It's really not that difficult to figure out.

I thought it was solely due to their financial problems.

eyeless

i like the coyotes and wish them the best, i even remember thinking it would be cool for them to get auston matthews before the bitterness of not getting mcdavid turned my heart black, now if we can't ever get our homegrown superstars then neither should anyone else

yyzjohn

Banned
I thought it was solely due to their financial problems.

I have nothing against putting hockey teams in markets that actually deserve it. Having a team in Arizona as opposed to Quebec right now makes 0 sense. The NHL needs contraction right now not expansion. Move Arizona or Florida or Carolina, contract teams with less than 80% of the building filled on a regular basis.

i like the coyotes and wish them the best, i even remember thinking it would be cool for them to get auston matthews before the bitterness of not getting mcdavid turned my heart black, now if we can't ever get our homegrown superstars then neither should anyone else

:lol

Deez nutz

I have nothing against putting hockey teams in markets that actually deserve it. Having a team in Arizona as opposed to Quebec right now makes 0 sense. The NHL needs contraction right now not expansion. Move Arizona or Florida or Carolina, contract teams with less than 80% of the building filled on a regular basis.

:lol for different reasons.

Expansion is going to be great for the league for many reasons. It's ridiculous that a guy like Kyle Brodziak - who is a legitimately great guy and fantastic third line guy who deserves minutes and a good paycheck - has to take darn near league minimum and play on the fourth line on the Blues just to stay in the NHL.

Will there be some growing pains? For sure. But for the most part expansion will be for the better. Contraction is a terrible idea.

zroid

Banned
Hopefully expansion might also lead to more skilled players making the jump to the NHL "before they're ready". Will it lead to more hilarious defensive miscues? Perhaps. But that's not a bad thing. There's a reason junior hockey is so fun to watch.

Parch

A lot can happen in a year. It's a key age for development so it's pretty much impossible to predict next year's draft.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

I don't intend to come across as brash, but here goes:

1) Canadians and traditional hockey fans want the sport to succeed, the way you get massive success is if every team can sell out. It's critical mass. Traditional hockey cities can sell out exhibition games at a higher price than arizona sells playoff tickets. When you have bettman giving speeches that the league has never been stronger, but then you watch an coyotes game with 25% of the arena full... that suggests otherwise. It's a poor image.

2) even with $25 million subsidy from the city, $15 million subsidy from revenue sharing and $22 million from the national TV deals, the coyotes lose money with NO RENT and this is before merchandise splits and local TV deals... while spending to the cap floor.

3) if the fan experience is so great, where are the fans?

4) NHL in traditional markets watch in big numbers. They don't compete with the shopping channel.

5) The NHL shrugged its shoulders when Quebec, Winnipeg and Minnesota teams left but then fights to the death for the fucking coyotes? Those 3 markets had fan support, but arenas were old and they left because they couldn't get subsidies for new arenas. Not because of dwindling fan support. Not because of lack of arena lease. The NHL then decided to use the canadian dollar as an excuse, which was horseshit because there wasn't a salary floor like today.

6) The NHL and the ownership groups from JIG, Ice Edge, Hulsizer, whoever... would lie and deceive the city council of Glendale and exploit their desire to become a world class city to secure subsidies. NO OTHER NHL TEAM GETS MONEY FROM THE PUBLIC SECTOR FOR GENERAL OPERATIONS. Arenas? Sure. They tanked the cities bond status, they're depleting the available funds of the city to the point where they had to sell off their buildings, lay off and scale back public services and the heartless shits in phoenix metro area don't seem to care because they'll be able to get a free snuggly, beer and bobblehead with a ticket cost at $20 that they can enjoy with 5,000 other people.

7) just because there's canadians there, doesn't mean they want to watch the coyotes. They'll only go to games their home teams play. So maybe you sell a couple hundred tickets across 7 opponents, what about the other 22? Arizona isn't a major travel destination for canadians. In fact, there's more travelers going to new jersey than phoenix.

You may watch the coyotes and enjoy them, and so do many others... but there is reason for traditional hockey fans to be upset. There's tons of more suitable and more deserving markets out there.

It's no offense to you or anyone else who enjoys the game. It's a result of the NHL expanding to unusual markets in an attempt to grow the game instead of going to markets where there's demand.

I don't intend to come across as brash, but here goes:

LOL okay, let's do it. Thanks for the response, by the way.

1) Canadians and traditional hockey fans want the sport to succeed, the way you get massive success is if every team can sell out. It's critical mass. Traditional hockey cities can sell out exhibition games at a higher price than arizona sells playoff tickets. When you have bettman giving speeches that the league has never been stronger, but then you watch an coyotes game with 25% of the arena full... that suggests otherwise. It's a poor image.

"Canadians and traditional hockey fans"... implying that fans in Arizona aren't traditional hockey fans? That they, and other places like Carolina, Florida, and the Long Island until a couple years ago don't want the sport to succeed or understand the implications of low attendance?

Plenty of arenas have nights with low attendance. I was watching an early season Red Wings game last year that had plenty of empties. Yes, Arizona has been in or near the basement in attendance the last few years, which is not good, but it's hardly hurting the sport.

2) even with $25 million subsidy from the city, $15 million subsidy from revenue sharing and $22 million from the national TV deals, the coyotes lose money with NO RENT and this is before merchandise splits and local TV deals... while spending to the cap floor.

Don't see how this is true. Operational losses, sure, but as far as I'm aware, each recent ownership group has sold the franchise for quite a profit. Thanks in large part to those incentive programs. And, in any case, so what? Again, doesn't hurt the league or the sport on its own.

3) if the fan experience is so great, where are the fans?

Over an hour's drive away, in the East Valley, where the arena should have been placed. Not in the retirement community of the West Valley. Doesn't take away that it's a great place to watch hockey. If you think otherwise, then you haven't been there. Ask any Kings or Ducks fan that's taken a road trip, it's great.

4) NHL in traditional markets watch in big numbers. They don't compete with the shopping channel.

Again, so what? The Kings/Ducks don't do great in TV viewership, does that make them bad markets? Of course not.

5) The NHL shrugged its shoulders when Quebec, Winnipeg and Minnesota teams left but then fights to the death for the fucking coyotes? Those 3 markets had fan support, but arenas were old and they left because they couldn't get subsidies for new arenas. Not because of dwindling fan support. Not because of lack of arena lease. The NHL then decided to use the canadian dollar as an excuse, which was horseshit because there wasn't a salary floor like today.

Business is business. They got a great deal to move to the desert. If the money was in those markets, the teams wouldn't have left. Not sure what it has to do with the Coyotes other than sour grapes.

6) The NHL and the ownership groups from JIG, Ice Edge, Hulsizer, whoever... would lie and deceive the city council of Glendale and exploit their desire to become a world class city to secure subsidies. NO OTHER NHL TEAM GETS MONEY FROM THE PUBLIC SECTOR FOR GENERAL OPERATIONS. Arenas? Sure. They tanked the cities bond status, they're depleting the available funds of the city to the point where they had to sell off their buildings, lay off and scale back public services and the heartless shits in phoenix metro area don't seem to care because they'll be able to get a free snuggly, beer and bobblehead with a ticket cost at $20 that they can enjoy with 5,000 other people.

Unless you live in Glendale, Arizona, why would one care?

7) just because there's canadians there, doesn't mean they want to watch the coyotes. They'll only go to games their home teams play. So maybe you sell a couple hundred tickets across 7 opponents, what about the other 22? Arizona isn't a major travel destination for canadians. In fact, there's more travelers going to new jersey than phoenix.

How long have you been working for the New Jersey Tourism board? Cuz that's some bullshit right there.

You may watch the coyotes and enjoy them, and so do many others... but there is reason for traditional hockey fans to be upset. There's tons of more suitable and more deserving markets out there.

Again... "Traditional". Sorry Kings, Ducks, Lightning, Avalanche, Panther and Stars fans... you're not "traditional" hockey fans. Your teams might not count, either.

It's no offense to you or anyone else who enjoys the game.

You don't mean that.

It's a result of the NHL expanding to unusual markets in an attempt to grow the game instead of going to markets where there's demand.

Yep... it's a sour grapes Canadians hate Bettman thing. It's cool.

Yep.

I don't think I've ever encountered any salt towards the Coyotes in recent years, The last time we had legitimate salt over them was during their 2012 playoff run against the Kings. Dirty plays and Mike Smith shenanigans that would seem to transfer over the those same Kings (more dirty plays than goalie shenanigans).

I think people are just tired of the ongoing drama surrounding the team and Glendale.

I personally really don't care about other Canadian cities getting a team.

Those playoffs were nasty. Wore our Coyotes jerseys to one of those games at Staples and some chick called my gf a cunt in the bathroom and said she was going to kick my gf's ass. Anyways, if you thought Mike Smith was dirty, can't imagine what will happen now that Downie's around.

Top Bottom