• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Meta stats for his dad: the year his Dad will kick cancers ass is 2015, last time a Ranger kicked cancers ass?

2008, the year they traded Sean Avery.

Stay strong Meta, you guys got this.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
d8PtMub.jpg

Pikma

Banned
I'm sorry to hear that Meta, but it's also good to hear it's treatable. I wish the best for your dad, for you and for your whole family. Please keep us updated, as long as you feel like it, of course.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Meta stats for his dad: the year his Dad will kick cancers ass is 2015, last time a Ranger kicked cancers ass?

2008, the year they traded Sean Avery.

Stay strong Meta, you guys got this.

We could have had Avery back if it wasn't for AV, too!

Thanks for the support, guys. Thankfully I've had way too much to do lately and I'm pretty divorced from the situation being in NY rather than Florida, so I haven't really had time to think about it. Hopefully his biopsy results will turn out alright.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just played a Hawks fan in NHL 15 who's gamertag is Versteeg23. I'm assuming it's either Versteeg himself or Wsoxfan changed his since Saad got traded and no one else would be dumb enough to use that as their gamertag.

We could have had Avery back if it wasn't for AV, too!

Thanks for the support, guys. Thankfully I've had way too much to do lately and I'm pretty divorced from the situation being in NY rather than Florida, so I haven't really had time to think about it. Hopefully his biopsy results will turn out alright.

Sorry to hear about your Dad, Meta. Hopefully everything will be okay and he'll pull through incredibly well.

My Mom had her lung removed due to cancer, and then two years later it metastasized in her brain. Thankfully, they were able to kill the spots with radiation, and when two more appeared the same procedure worked for one. The other had to be removed through surgery, but I'm just glad they could do it.

She still complains about headaches, and has had a couple of mild seizures despite being on seizure meds (it's not abnormal, though). Her last MRI was also inconclusive, but we had it done locally instead of with her neurooncologist and the machine here isn't as clear. The doctors who read it were also different, and I assume they forwarded the results on to her regular doctor. He never called, so I guess there's nothing to worry about. I hope so...I can't stop worrying regardless.

Cancer is a nightmare.

She's immobile and in a nursing home for rehab right now, due to infection stemming from a surgery in 2011 that keeps recurring. She was in hospital for so long with that and a UTI that she lost the ability to walk. She's doing well, though - standing and eating like a horse (seriously, four meals a day with one being french fries which she's addicted to) so I hope that'll continue and that her brain is okay.

zroid

Banned
haha apparently Winnik's contract was rejected by the league for being too frontloaded

the Leafs were trying to make him a reeeaaaaallly appealing trade chip who would be owed like almost no money after being dealt. didn't fly.

Stasis

I haven't really posted in here in a few days, so this is going to be a pretty serious good news/bad news post.

Good news: I was wrong about Buffalo's stupid ROR contract fucking over the Rangers. Turns out that because O'Reilly would have been a UFA in 2016, it is considered a signing by an unrestricted free agent per the current CBA and is thus inadmissible as a comparable in an RFA's arbitration hearing. So fuck you, Buffalo!

Good news: I'm moving to Brooklyn! Like as soon as next week! Walking distance to Barclays for Isles-Rangers games! Woo!

Bad news: My dad has cancer.

Well that brought that post to a screeching halt, huh? That's life for ya.

They think it's completely treatable and possibly outright curable, so the prognosis is, relatively speaking, very good. Should know more in the next day or two exactly what the course of action will be going forward. In case you were wondering.

Well, grats for the first part. Heights? Nice area. Really reminds me of the Village, where I grew up. Love that style. Trees and brownstones basically, lol. Mind if I ask whether you bought or are renting?

And I hope all goes well for your father. I wish him luck, but mostly I just hope it was caught pretty early and that it's taken care of quickly.

Meta, Chewie, my thoughts and prayers are with you guys and your families.

This past week my dad's health went right into the shitter. Emerg last Wednesday with internal bleeding. There overnight, then home for 2 days, and then rushed back on Sunday with crippling abdominal pain. Turns out he had infection and perforation in his guts somewhere. Couple surgeries done (took some of hus colon and intestines out) and another tomorrow to determine what caused the internal bleeding.

Hardest part for me was seeing him fine one day, and all hooked up and feeble the next. And seeing how worried my mum was.

Hug and cherish your loved ones!

Samyy

Does Buffalo make the playoffs this year? Y/N

I'm going with no, but I could see them making the conference finals while Reinhart/Eichel are still on their ELC contracts.

They need some D and Lehner is still kinda unproven, also has a temper.

I think they'll be 11-13 in the East

I think there are 3 distinct tiers of teams outside of the guaranteed playoff teams (Tampa/Montreal/NYR/WSH):

Tier 1 (Playoff tweener): Detroit, Columbus, Boston, Islanders, Pittsburgh, Ottawa
Tier 2 (Middle of nowhere): Carolina, Philly, Buffalo
Tier 3 (crap): New Jersey, Toronto

Actually, I have no idea what to think of Ottawa, so confusing!

Razorskin

----- ------
haha apparently Winnik's contract was rejected by the league for being too frontloaded

the Leafs were trying to make him a reeeaaaaallly appealing trade chip who would be owed like almost no money after being dealt. didn't fly.

Best the league take away the Leafs' 1st rounder for this trickery.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

This past week my dad's health went right into the shitter. Emerg last Wednesday with internal bleeding. There overnight, then home for 2 days, and then rushed back on Sunday with crippling abdominal pain. Turns out he had infection and perforation in his guts somewhere. Couple surgeries done (took some of hus colon and intestines out) and another tomorrow to determine what caused the internal bleeding.

Hardest part for me was seeing him fine one day, and all hooked up and feeble the next. And seeing how worried my mum was.

Hope your dad is okay.

Seems like a bad time for NHLGaf's families. I've been at the icu nearly every day for over a month visiting a relative. He went in for surgery and then developed pneumonia. He also went into code blue while I was there which was just awful. There were 6 nurses and 2 doctors in his room. I thought he was going to die. He's recovering, but it's been slow.

Thanks, sir

I'm also sorry to hear about your dad's health issues. I hope everything goes well tomorrow, and that he'll recover well. Best wishes.

You know, I never used to be able to say "I love you" to anyone, but I tell my Mom that every time I leave her.

It's been awful, because a year ago she had the same infection and was in and out of coherency. My Dad thought we were going to lose her, and kind of thought her going to the hospital was useless because she was in and out of the place a few times. He actually yelled at me when I said I was taking her in one night, but apologized later. It was just a lot of stress building up, I guess. But doing so saved her life, because she was going septic.

When she was in there, they told us that they'd seen cancer on her remaining lung and told us she wouldn't make it. However, after six months of the unknown, and the worst depression I've dealt with thus far, we found out that it was just marks left on her lungs from the pneumonia she also had, which were healing.

When she had that infection, plus the UTI, several months ago, she went from being able to walk with a walker to not being able to at all. We had her home in a hospital bed, but she wasn't doing enough exercising and we could only get her rehab once a week. Or physio if you will.

I was a 24-hour caregiver and did practically everything.

If I lose her young, then I don't know if I'll be able to manage.

Hope your dad is okay.

Seems like a bad time for NHLGaf's families. I've been at the icu nearly every day for over a month visiting a relative. He went in for surgery and then developed pneumonia. He also went into code blue while I was there which was just awful. There were 6 nurses and 2 doctors in his room. I thought he was going to die. He's recovering, but it's been slow.

Wow. Sorry to hear about your relative. Best of luck.

Fei

Thoughts with all of the NHL-GAF families. Tough times.

Does Buffalo make the playoffs this year? Y/N

I'm going with no, but I could see them making the conference finals while Reinhart/Eichel are still on their ELC contracts.

Not unless Eichel or Reinhart put up 25+ goals, which would be pretty shocking. I just don't see enough scoring on the team until those guys are ready to take on big roles. I think their D will be average/alright, as Bylsma should help. Lehner's a huge question mark, even if he can stay healthy.

They're a year away before any real expectations hit.

Montresor

I don't see this on hfboards. Can you link the source? Will the Leafs be penalized?

Curufinwe

I guess no one in the Leafs front office understood the 35% variance rule for frontloaded deals.

Original contract was $3m and $1.5m -> 50% variance

New contract is $2.7m and $1.8m - > 33% variance

@war_on_ice 10h10 hours ago
DETAIL: Daniel Winnik's original contract was rejected for being too frontloaded. Confirmed at $2.7M/$1.8M, same AAV

Montresor

I guess no one in the Leafs front office understood the 35% variance rule for frontloaded deals.

Original contract was $3m and $1.5m -> 50% variance

New contract is $2.7m and $1.8m - > 33% variance

:eek: I'm glad the Leafs are keeping Winnik and I hope there is no punishment.

Pikma

Banned
Best of wishes to all of the NHLGAF families, especially to those who are going through something complicated at the moment.

And again, thank you everyone for all the support.

Stasis

They need some D and Lehner is still kinda unproven, also has a temper.

I think they'll be 11-13 in the East

I think there are 3 distinct tiers of teams outside of the guaranteed playoff teams (Tampa/Montreal/NYR/WSH):

Tier 1 (Playoff tweener): Detroit, Columbus, Boston, Islanders, Pittsburgh, Ottawa
Tier 2 (Middle of nowhere): Carolina, Philly, Buffalo
Tier 3 (crap): New Jersey, Toronto

Actually, I have no idea what to think of Ottawa, so confusing!

And like, fuck the Panthers? =P

I can see the playoff teams shaking out as: Isles, Tampa, Habs, NYR, Caps, Wings, Pens and CBJ. Or maybe Flyers. I haven't been following the last two enough to know who's better on paper right now.

At this point I'd put the Isles up there with the guaranteed playoffs, barring tons of injuries (as with any of these teams) obviously. I kinda wanna say Pittsburgh too, but I don't because fuck Pittsburgh.

Razorskin

----- ------
Will want the Habs to make it in the playoffs but I'll reassure myself that if they don't Therrien is gone.

And then they'll crush my spirit by hiring Claude Julien

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Well, grats for the first part. Heights? Nice area. Really reminds me of the Village, where I grew up. Love that style. Trees and brownstones basically, lol. Mind if I ask whether you bought or are renting?

And I hope all goes well for your father. I wish him luck, but mostly I just hope it was caught pretty early and that it's taken care of quickly.

It's sort of right where Vinegar Hill and DUMBO meet Downtown Brooklyn. Kind of a weird place since it's basically a block away from where the Manhattan Bridge turns into Flatbush Ave. I think that helped the price a lot since you have to go a couple blocks to get to anything, as opposed to if you were on, say, Dekalb like 4 or 5 blocks down and right in the thick of things. But it should be cool. Getting the entire first floor of a rowhouse. It's actually pretty similar in square footage to the apartment I'm currently sharing with 2 other people, except this time it's all for me. So it's a big level up in space and a way more convenient commute to work (and the Garden, for that matter). Just gotta hop on the AC at Jay St.-MetroTech.

Also, renting.

Hope your dad is okay.

That sucks. Hopefully he continues recovering.

Jeez, it seems like everybody in this thread has it rough right now. Hope everything turns out alright for everyone.

Top Bottom