• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

zroid

Banned
Ray Bartoszek plans Seattle-area arena, hopes to lure NHL team

I wonder if the NHL would do well in Seattle. Based on what I've read in the past it's sure no slam dunk.

yesss Bettman pls

I think even if there isn't a huge demand for hockey in Seattle it will work for a couple reasons. namely, it's already a great sports town, they love their teams, and the organic rivalry that forms with Vancouver will instantly create compelling stories.

it's already nuts when the Jays visit Seattle; an actual Vancouver-Seattle sports thing will be awesome

The Canucks exited the playoffs again, but I have to say the team did pretty well after the tire fire of last season. The series was winnable, but give full credit to the Flames for not folding and continuing to defy the odds.

Already signed, should stay:
Sedins (can still play)
Vrbata (best free-agent signing last year)
Bonino (needs to work on consistency but cap-friendly contract)
Hansen (please don't put him with the Sedins ever again)
Kassian (was looking good until he got injured, hope he makes a full recovery)
Dorsett (just signed him, decent energy guy)
Horvat (duh)

Edler (great bounce back year)
Tanev (a stud)
Sbisa (just signed him, ugh)
Hamhuis (can't see him going anywhere, even at his age and cap hit)

Miller (should trade, but can't)

Might stay or go
Higgins (shouldn't be in top 6 and over 30. I'd like to see him in a bottom-six role but he may be moved out for someone younger. Great cap hit though.)
Burrows (basically a more expensive Hansen at this point. Still an option with the Sedins but at his age and cap hit he may get squeezed out. Almost impossible to replace though and I doubt there is much interest in him.)
Bieksa (see Burrows. Has lost a step but still a valuable veteran presence.)
Lack (ready to be a starter, fan favourite, but would net a decent return and Miller isn't going anywhere. Markstrom will back up Miller.)

UFAs/RFAs to keep
Baertschi
Vey
Kenins
Weber
Corrado
Stanton
Markstrom
Clendening
Biega (maybe)

UFAs/RFAs to let go
Matthias (his 18 goals with no PP time will generate interest. Disappointing in the playoffs.)
Richardson (unless he's re-signed for cheap there are younger options in the 4C spot.)
The rest are in Utica so can't really comment on them.

Prospects that could make the team next year
Virtanen
Shinkaruk
Jensen
Gaunce

Possible line-up next year
Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Baertschi-Bonino-Vrbata
Hansen-Horvat-Higgins
Burrows-Vey-Dorsett
Kenins

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Weber
Sbisa-Bieksa
Stanton-Corrado

Miller
Markstrom

Free agents to target:
A top-four defenceman. Beauchemin, Ehrhoff, Martin, Jackman are likely too old. Sekera, Petry, Franson, and Green will be highly sought after.

Unless something big happens, the Canucks only have room for one significant signing, and I definitely think it needs to happen on defence.

Not sure how I feel about a Seattle team. I guess if they can prove it will be supported...but mainly my problem is more with our dear NHL management and how they love to look at teams like Vegas over Quebec.

I suppose we are bro's for hating the NBA though

Yup, they basically bought them just to sweep them under the rug. Fucking gross

I have lots of stories about dealing with Hudsonsoft Publishing, but Bomberman really was one of those licenses where you should expect to see another one every year, in some incarnation or another. (I think Konami released an iOS Bomberman last year, though that's basically like playing hockey without a stick)

The real shame is the other Hudson properties that are now basically left for dead in a vault somewhere, like Nectaris, Bonk, and so on.

trifelife

UFAs/RFAs to keep
Vey

zIQFQLd.jpg

I agree though, especially that moving Higgins and Lack appear to be the best options to free up space in the lineup/receive decent assets. Benning impressed with virtually every trade and signing (Sbisa notwithstanding) and I'm sure there will be some moves nobody sees coming. I have faith.

Pikma

Banned
Not sure how I feel about a Seattle team. I guess if they can prove it will be supported...but mainly my problem is more with our dear NHL management and how they love to look at teams like Vegas over Quebec.

I suppose we are bro's for hating the NBA though

I have lots of stories about dealing with Hudsonsoft Publishing, but Bomberman really was one of those licenses where you should expect to see another one every year, in some incarnation or another. (I think Konami released an iOS Bomberman last year, though that's basically like playing hockey without a stick)

The real shame is the other Hudson properties that are now basically left for dead in a vault somewhere, like Nectaris, Bonk, and so on.
it's what pisses me off the most, we're talking about a company full of fuckers, who can't even manage to make decent use of their own assets, that decides to buy another company just so they can shit on their 30 years old history, why? just so one else can have access to their IPs, of course.

2okKL39.png

https://twitter.com/VanCanucks/status/592749129605996545

I believe the defense now is: Muzzin, Burns, Ekblad, Barrie, Savard, & Hamhuis

I was listening to Brady and Walker today at lunch and they had a good point about the Worlds: let the RNH's, the Hamhuis's, the A- and B tier players set the tone of the team. Sure, if you have a Sidney Crosby, you take him. But give those players that probably wouldn't be talked of as Olympic hopefuls a chance to shine on a stage that's compareable.

Curufinwe

I can't see BSchenn and Couturier getting much playing time now.

So far, 21 players have been named, including five defencemen (Aaron Ekblad, Tyson Barrie, Brent Burns, Jake Muzzin and David Savard) and two goalies (Martin Jones and Mike Smith).

At forward, Canada is deep with Crosby, Sean Couturier, Matt Duchene, Cody Eakin, Jordan Eberle, Tyler Ennis, Claude Giroux, Taylor Hall, Nathan MacKinnon, Brayden Schenn, Ryan O’Rielly, Tyler Seguin, Jason Spezza and Tyler Toffoli.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The Canucks exited the playoffs again, but I have to say the team did pretty well after the tire fire of last season. The series was winnable, but give full credit to the Flames for not folding and continuing to defy the odds.

Already signed, should stay:
Sedins (can still play)
Vrbata (best free-agent signing last year)
Bonino (needs to work on consistency but cap-friendly contract)
Hansen (please don't put him with the Sedins ever again)
Kassian (was looking good until he got injured, hope he makes a full recovery)
Dorsett (just signed him, decent energy guy)
Horvat (duh)

Edler (great bounce back year)
Tanev (a stud)
Sbisa (just signed him, ugh)
Hamhuis (can't see him going anywhere, even at his age and cap hit)

Miller (should trade, but can't)

Might stay or go
Higgins (shouldn't be in top 6 and over 30. I'd like to see him in a bottom-six role but he may be moved out for someone younger. Great cap hit though.)
Burrows (basically a more expensive Hansen at this point. Still an option with the Sedins but at his age and cap hit he may get squeezed out. Almost impossible to replace though and I doubt there is much interest in him.)
Bieksa (see Burrows. Has lost a step but still a valuable veteran presence.)
Lack (ready to be a starter, fan favourite, but would net a decent return and Miller isn't going anywhere. Markstrom will back up Miller.)

UFAs/RFAs to keep
Baertschi
Vey
Kenins
Weber
Corrado
Stanton
Markstrom
Clendening
Biega (maybe)

UFAs/RFAs to let go
Matthias (his 18 goals with no PP time will generate interest. Disappointing in the playoffs.)
Richardson (unless he's re-signed for cheap there are younger options in the 4C spot.)
The rest are in Utica so can't really comment on them.

Prospects that could make the team next year
Virtanen
Shinkaruk
Jensen
Gaunce

Possible line-up next year
Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Baertschi-Bonino-Vrbata
Hansen-Horvat-Higgins
Burrows-Vey-Dorsett
Kenins

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Weber
Sbisa-Bieksa
Stanton-Corrado

Miller
Markstrom

Free agents to target:
A top-four defenceman. Beauchemin, Ehrhoff, Martin, Jackman are likely too old. Sekera, Petry, Franson, and Green will be highly sought after.

Unless something big happens, the Canucks only have room for one significant signing, and I definitely think it needs to happen on defence.

Agreed with most of this, except Horvat should definitely play at 2C, and Hansen&Horvat have had great chemistry so Hansen should also play on the 2nd line. (plus, Baertschi still needs to prove himself). So more sth like

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata/Kassian
Hansen-Horvat-Vrbata/Kassian
Burrows-Bonino-Jensen
Baertschi-Vey-Higgins

I'd say. Jensen has the best shot at making the team next year (aside from Horvat who's a lock), Shinkaruk and Virtanen might benefit from more time. Shinkaruk MIGHT make it, though, but I think then he'd just replace Baertschi or Higgins/Burrows if one of them gets traded. Gaunce I don't see making it unless Bonino AND Richardson go.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/weekend-takeaways-destinations-for-dion/

Destinations for Dion: Given that Boston was one of the teams most interested in Maple Leaf defenceman Dion Phaneuf at the trade deadline, and restated that interest after he wasn’t traded, it makes sense that with Chiarelli now in Edmonton, the defence-hungry Oilers could be suitors for the veteran blueliner this summer.

Great, we'll take Eberle, Schultz, and a second-round pick. Thanks!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
zIQFQLd.jpg

I agree though, especially that moving Higgins and Lack appear to be the best options to free up space in the lineup/receive decent assets. Benning impressed with virtually every trade and signing (Sbisa notwithstanding) and I'm sure there will be some moves nobody sees coming. I have faith.
Thought this was Jagr for a second...

RC

Banned
So I'm charging my phone at the Apple Store in Eaton Centre and wanted to check out the scores on one of their iPads. Open up Safari and what do I see? The goddamn communist manifesto.

Fucking commies are everywhere in Toronto.

Quick

Banned
So I'm charging my phone at the Apple Store in Eaton Centre and wanted to check out the scores on one of their iPads. Open up Safari and what do I see? The goddamn communist manifesto.

Fucking commies are everywhere in Toronto.

iPP6O7jmV2yvV.gif

I wanted the Islanders to win, but this works out better for Buffalo at least.

Sabres now will keep the Islanders pick (possible top 20 pick) and send the Blues one to Winnipeg (26th-ish).

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Weirdcock will be playing for team Canada. Quite a big jump from being scratched and almost traded during the season.

Top Bottom