• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Quick

Banned
My town is finally getting its OJHL team back after it was disbanded a few years ago. I grew up with the previous team, it had been around since the 1930s.

the new team name is the "Royals"... which is kinda lame :(

lol, they're copying the Marlies / Marlboros logo

S7Jpx9D.png

The fuck, they got rid of the Waxers?

Should've just kept the Waxers name if they're going to use the same logo anyway.

Is anyone with an alternative internet provider here? Since Shaw&Telus etc are now enforcing data caps (yay Canada) with monetary penalties I'm looking around... I've heard good things about Teksavvy, but there's also AEBC, Slamhang, Lightspeed. Montreal-DSL, Surf and Unmetered, all for roughly the same price. Does anyone have any good/bad experience with any of those? Thanks!

Yeah we got a letter the other day. Of course we check right after and we're already near the monthly limit. Good timing Telus!

Tabris

Original Price Original Speed New Price New Speed
$90 100mbps $90 60mbps
$80 50mbps $70 30mbps
$60 25mbps $60 15mbps
$55 10mbps $50 5mbps

Wow. What the hell. That is a slimy thing to do and really a backwards thing.

Federal government should subsidize internet.

I'm lucky as my strata has an internet deal with a company called Terago that provides business level internet. Only issue is it has gone down 2-3 times a year so far, for really silly reasons like a film crew building on top of the radio tower that's used on 42nd floor.

Yawnier

Banned
Make Dubas the GM

30. Will also have more about Toronto next time, but wanted to add this quote from assistant GM Kyle Dubas.

Asked if the Maple Leafs would consider passing up on Mitch Marner in the draft because they already have smallish forwards like William Nylander and Connor Brown, Dubas disagreed.

“Here’s the way I look at it,” he said. “Right now, we aren't good enough to be picky about smaller players. We need as many elite players as we can. If we get into playoffs and are too small, or overwhelmed, it’s easier to trade small for size than draft for size and trade for skill.”

Razorskin

----- ------
he really is great

let's face it, he's already the de-facto co-GM anyway... only reasons you don't make him the actual GM is so he keeps having more responsibility with the Marlies and so you get a guy who is more connected in the NHL

#1 in our hearts.

lCAycMn.jpg

That quote from Dubas makes me feel a lot better about the rebuild. If he's saying that, it means the whole f/o is thinking it too, and that means the candidate they bring in will be on board with that philosophy.

This might actually turn out ok!

Socreges

Banned
"Beginning March 30, however, Telus will charge an initial $5 for an extra 50GB of data once the limit has been exceeded. If these user exceeds that extra bucket of data, they will be charged another $10 for every extra 50GB bucket of data they use, to a maximum of $75. The company will notify users before charging."

you're lying to yourself if you don't think Shaw will immediately do the same thing, too.

Also, beginning this year Shaw actually lowered their internet speeds for the same price:

Original Price Original Speed New Price New Speed
$90 100mbps $90 60mbps
$80 50mbps $70 30mbps
$60 25mbps $60 15mbps
$55 10mbps $50 5mbps

fucking Canadian ISPs, man.

I think I'll go with Lightspeed. They work through Shaw so I don't need new cable, their activation fee of 75.- is currently waived so I'll pay 44.15.- per month including modem rental for 25mbps with unlimited cap AND I can avoid Shaw/Telus. Half the price of Shaw AND unlimited, what a fucking joke :lol
Lightspeed it is, I guess. Only ADSL is available in Victoria - any downside as opposed to Cable Internet?

ADSL uses your phone line I think.

I don't know if it's true anymore but back then Telus (ADSL) gave you lower, but consistent speeds. Shaw (Cable) had no limits but its speed depended on your neighbourhood's usage. So if your neighbour downloaded all day you'd have terrible speeds.

Pikma

Banned
So the Concacaf Champions League final between CF America vs Montreal Impact is about the start, I think I'm gonna give it a try

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Lightspeed it is, I guess. Only ADSL is available in Victoria - any downside as opposed to Cable Internet?

slightly higher cost, especially if you don't have a phone line already

benefit is that you won't get slowdown if you live in an apartment when everyone uses it during peak hours because it's a dedicated line

that's about it

HELLO CRAZED

zroid

Banned
Alright, Wings eliminated today. Griffins will be eliminated tomorrow (or whenever they play game 4).

#BlueAndWhiteForever

Socreges

Banned
slightly higher cost, especially if you don't have a phone line already

benefit is that you won't get slowdown if you live in an apartment when everyone uses it during peak hours because it's a dedicated line

that's about it

HELLO CRAZED
Right....shit, no landline #...

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Right....shit, no landline #...

if you don't have a landline number it's usually like 10 dollars extra per month

... BUT lightspeed is actually waiving that fee. at least in their current promo (until tmrw)

they might continue the promo, who knows.

Socreges

Banned
if you don't have a landline number it's usually like 10 dollars extra per month

... BUT lightspeed is actually waiving that fee. at least in their current promo (until tmrw)

they might continue the promo, who knows.
Might save enough even with the extra $10 on top... Thanks, I'll look into it

ShaneB

Please elaborate

lol, it's just the technical term. You tell them you don't have a current landline, and they say okey dokey, and hook you up.

A naked DSL (a.k.a. standalone or dry loop DSL) is a digital subscriber line (DSL) without a PSTN (analogue telephony) service — or the associated dial tone. In other words, only a standalone DSL Internet service is provided on the local loop.

Top Bottom