• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Curufinwe

Babcock to Philly says Cox (more or less).

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/why-mike-babcocks-choice-wont-be-easy/

Out of those three teams, the Flyers have oodles of cash, two stars and some promising pieces, and a city where players love to work and live, particularly in the suburban areas across the border in New Jersey.

The lure of McDavid has to be compelling to any coach, and as a westerner, Alberta certainly isn’t a strange and faraway land to Babcock.

And the Leafs? He has a connection to Shanahan, who he coached, and like Cliff Fletcher, Pat Burns, Ken Dryden, Pat Quinn and Brian Burke, talented hockey people tend to look at Toronto, see all the obvious land mines, but then believe they can be one to make it finally work.

Without that kind of ambition and confidence, they wouldn’t otherwise be talented hockey people.

So without really knowing Babcock’s priorities – he’s done a job of keeping those well under wraps – the most logical signs seem to point to Philadelphia, if Detroit is already in his rear view mirror.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm working out more and losing weight in anticipation of summer and intramural next semester.

My only problem is healthy food. It's a big part but I never grew up in a house that was weight conscious. I am used to frozen food. I am used to home cooked meals being Mexican food or hotdish. Not a lot of variety.

I've been eating a salad for dinner once a week for the last few months and while that obviously helps it isn't enough of a change I don't think. That and eating less or smaller portions are pretty much my only dietary changes at this point.

So what do my NHL-bros eat to both fill up and not feel like shit after?

I've lost almost 20 pounds since November. Moderate activity (hockey) and basically cut out beer during the week and snacking at night.

Started running too, which is tough but will be good in the long run.

Marvie_3

Banned
I've lost almost 20 pounds since November. Moderate activity (hockey) and basically cut out beer during the week and snacking at night.

Started running too, which is tough but will be good in the long run.

Did you switch to this?

jbuOHc0tuK6xND.jpg

Is Howard still Detroit's number 1? Ended the year so-so and Mrazek played all but 1 period of the playoffs. Possibly a 1A/1B situation next season? He has 4 more years with a cap hit of $5.3M.

zroid

Banned
Is Howard still Detroit's number 1? Ended the year so-so and Mrazek played all but 1 period of the playoffs. Possibly a 1A/1B situation next season? He has 4 more years with a cap hit of $5.3M.

There've been a lot of articles posted recently on why you shouldn't pay goaltenders big term and big cap hit.

this is why! :p

I think Babcock is a bit overrated for all the hype he's getting. Good regular season records but really spotty in the playoffs with some first-round chokes and Detroit hasn't made it past the conference semi-finals in six years. Other than the Cup win in '08 and making it to the finals in '09, his record looks no better than Todd McLellan's.

He did pretty good when he pretty much had a retirement home roster at his disposal.

Make substitutions. My family ate a lot of beef. I've swapped beef for bison. I eat a lot of turkey and tuna as well. Less carbs more protein is a winner in terms of feeling full and not putting too much shit in your body. Not a paleo protein to carbs ratio but something reasonable.

#1 change you want to make is only drink water. No soda ever again (this was hard for me). No fruit juices.

Coffee if you need it for your mornings, but try to reduce filling it with sugar.

Whenever you think of consuming sugar with anything, think about whether the thing with sugar in it also has fibre for the sugar to bind to when digested (such as whole fruits). If not, don't have it.

If you can make the above change, and try to eat more whole food meals (that Steak is OK as long as you load up the other half of your plate with things like broccoli), you will be good.

EDIT - The next step after is using myfitnesspal.com to count calories and macro-nutrients of everything you consume.

Salad every day bruh. Try adding different nuts and seeds, cheeses, dried fruits and anything else you can think of. Beans have a ton of protein and will bulk a salad up pretty nice. Try making your own dressings and see what you like. You may find some inspiration here. Steamed kale as a base for a salad is my favourite. Spinach is also unfuckwithable. Mix in some quinoa or couscous if you want a more filling salad.

Get in the habit of making vegetables with every meal. It's really just a matter of developing some go-to things you can make in your sleep. Mashed sweet potatoes with some chipotle mixed in, for example, is sogood.gif and all you have to do is steam and mash some sweet potatoes.

Hit the lean protein pretty heavy. Drink lots of water. Staying hydrated helps with food cravings.

My advice is a bit skewed since I'm actively trying to gain weight, but will just echo what some of the folks have already said. All you should be drinking is water, morning noon and night. If you think you're hungry and you've already ate, drink water. Even if you carry around a water bottle, every time you think of that water bottle you're carrying around, take a drink.

My diet is pretty simple really, and aided by the fact that I don't have much need for a lot of variety. Think about eating clean foods, meaning avoid shit you can pronounce and with as few ingredients as possible.

Don't think of carbs as evil, but complex carbs are good for you. Sweet potatoes, whole grain rice, fine fuel for an intense cardio session, etc.

Lean proteins like chicken breasts, and basic veggies should be your staples. I eat lots of broccoli and spinach.

Of course for losing weight, portions are everything, so keep those under control as you've mentioned, and hit those weights hard!

For snacks I'll always have some almonds handy, just a few are fine, and if I've got a sweet tooth craving I'll have a bit of natural peanut butter with a tiny bit of honey.

Thanks for the advice fellas. I'll look into adding more vegetables to everything, that seems pretty significant and I've been mostly ignoring it.

As for drinks, I don't drink pop already. I occasionally drink lemonades or milk, but most of the time it is water. I've already replaced beef with turkey and have been doing that one for years now, so that isn't an issue at all.

Lots of good advice in here and lots to think about. Thanks again.

Quick

Banned
AMD CPU = bad

This is good to know. It's been ages since I built/bought/upgraded a computer and I've lost track of new parts. My current rig runs on an AMD CPU, and it seems to be running okay. I was set on an Intel chip to begin with, anyway.

I think Smack or Calamari posted up some specs for a good PC, but it's hard to find. A friend of mine helped me out with picking some parts, as well.

zroid

Banned
aww going to miss Canada vs Latvia and USA vs Finland. Actually have stuff to do this morning. :(

Crosby and MacKinnon playing on the same line is awesome

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Not a huge boxing fan, but I'm really looking forward to it.

I appreciate boxing more than UFC (likely in the minority about this).

Pikma

Banned
Floyd vs Manny is all everyone around talks about lately but then again most of my friends are UFC/Boxing fans so I guess that's why lol. I'm midly interested in it, couldn't care less about MMA though.

This is good to know. It's been ages since I built/bought/upgraded a computer and I've lost track of new parts. My current rig runs on an AMD CPU, and it seems to be running okay. I was set on an Intel chip to begin with, anyway.

I think Smack or Calamari posted up some specs for a good PC, but it's hard to find. A friend of mine helped me out with picking some parts, as well.

Get out of here

Get in here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=944920&highlight=new+pc

zroid

Banned
lol!! Lundqvist the twin scored

edit: other Dallas Stars connection --- Enroth is playing goal for Sweden, just made a big stop on a breakaway

Top Bottom