• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
ughh Tyler Bertuzzi of all people

fuck

edit: WELP. Game 4 it is.
He scored? Dude is a tool, I know him and some of his buddies. Knowing what I do about them, I try not to begin to imagine what some Habs guys have gotten themselves into.

What The Puck?!Facts
‏@WTPHockeyFacts
Connor McDavid now has 36 points in 13 OHL playoff games this year. Wayne Gretzky had 26 points in 13 OHL playoff games.

Holy Fucking Shit.

This will all be ruined by the Oilers.

zroid

Banned
He scored? Dude is a tool, I know him and some of his buddies. Knowing what I do about them, I try not to begin to imagine what some Habs guys have gotten themselves into.

Yea I remember you mentioning it last year during the Memorial Cup. Runs in the family, clearly.

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
Well, my hometown Rampage just got swept out of the Calder Cup Playoffs in the most pathetic way possible after their best season in franchise history.

I wish I could conjure up positive things for next season, but the coach of the Avs farm team, from what I've read, does not conspire any confidence what so ever.

Bring back the Iguanas goddamit.

Quick

Banned
Welcome Red Wangs

That team sure did Cleary last night! They just Clearied. I've seen teams Cleary before, but they were the Cleariest bunch of Clearies that ever Clearied!

We're both on the same playing field. Real hockey started in 2004.

We've at least been to the Finals since then. Get to work :p
I'm being dead serious here, you should start making fortune cookies with all of the stupid shit you think up. You'd brighten up just about anyone's bad day in an instant.

fallout

Welcome Red Wangs

That team sure did Cleary last night! They just Clearied. I've seen teams Cleary before, but they were the Cleariest bunch of Clearies that ever Clearied!
This got me thinking ... does every team have a Cleary? You know, the shitty guy that gets too much ice-time because he's liked by the GM/coach and can be blamed for all the team's failures?

zroid

Banned
This got me thinking ... does every team have a Cleary? You know, the shitty guy that gets too much ice-time because he's liked by the GM/coach and can be blamed for all the team's failures?

That's half the team when your coach is Randy Carlyle and GM Dave Nonis

I think most fanbases have a scapegoat when shit goes wrong. Some of them are legit and then some of them are Rask having a Vezina year.

zroid

Banned
http://www.thescore.com/news/755752

I don't get why teams do this. You trade for an offensive defenceman, you cut his minutes and put him in a shutdown role, and then wonder why it didn't work out?

Didn't read the article but every indication is that Franson had been wildly outperforming the minutes he was given in Nashville. Statistically he had been one of their best D-men since the trade, despite mis-usage. Only way you could argue he wasn't a good fit is if there were off-ice reasons for that "fit" or they didn't actually look at the facts.

As a Leaf fan I'm not complaining -- we got a 1st rd pick and his perceived lack of success in NSH might have lowered his market value to the point where he might come back to us. I think the new management team appreciates his talents more than the old guard did.

edit: I've said this before but with Phaneuf likely on his way out Franson would be a good veteran whos's been with the club for a while to take on a leadership role during the rebuild.

it's time for babcock to move on. he's already decided.

coaches have a shelf like anyway. especially when your GM is terrified of roster turnover.

Stet

Banned
it's time for babcock to move on. he's already decided.

coaches have a shelf like anyway. especially when your GM is terrified of roster turnover.

yeah, it's time for him to move on to a team that isn't afraid of a roster turnover.

a team named the leafs.

Yandle went from averaging about 23 minutes a game in Arizona to about 19 in New York. Vermette went from Arizona's top centre to a healthy scratch in Chicago. When good players are brought over to strong teams, they're brought in for depth, not to upset the line chemistry. They have to learn a new system and are insurance in case of injury. Plus, coaches like loyalty and familiarity.

So I'm working out more and losing weight in anticipation of summer and intramural next semester.

My only problem is healthy food. It's a big part but I never grew up in a house that was weight conscious. I am used to frozen food. I am used to home cooked meals being Mexican food or hotdish. Not a lot of variety.

I've been eating a salad for dinner once a week for the last few months and while that obviously helps it isn't enough of a change I don't think. That and eating less or smaller portions are pretty much my only dietary changes at this point.

So what do my NHL-bros eat to both fill up and not feel like shit after?

Sounds like the coach and GM weren't on the same page.

"Our defense was very good this year, and I think in the playoffs he played better than he did maybe sometimes in the regular season. It wasn't a perfect fit to be very honest and — bottom line — it wasn't like we didn't know that before we made the trade, but we were hoping it would work probably a little bit better."

Innnnnnteresting. Is he referring to the RHS and depth aspect, or something else?

For a guy who's as stat friendly as Franson, he certainly seems to have difficultly winning his teams over.

muahahahaha

Yawnier

Banned
http://www.thescore.com/news/755752

I don't get why teams do this. You trade for an offensive defenceman, you cut his minutes and put him in a shutdown role, and then wonder why it didn't work out?

Even from the get go of the trade I was cautious of Nashville resigning Franson. I could see them using their cap space on another position like for an established top 6 winger, center with how their RD depth is. Weber, Jones, and Ellis all on the right side is just ridiculous compared to what other teams like the Red Wings have in terms of RD.

Babcock is gone. He'll go to Toronto.

I am halfway in the boat about Holland needing to go, too, but I am not sure. I think that's just me being pissed about his free agency work the past few years.

So I'm working out more and losing weight in anticipation of summer and intramural next semester.

My only problem is healthy food. It's a big part but I never grew up in a house that was weight conscious. I am used to frozen food. I am used to home cooked meals being Mexican food or hotdish. Not a lot of variety.

I've been eating a salad for dinner once a week for the last few months and while that obviously helps it isn't enough of a change I don't think. That and eating less or smaller portions are pretty much my only dietary changes at this point.

Make substitutions. My family ate a lot of beef. I've swapped beef for bison. I eat a lot of turkey and tuna as well. Less carbs more protein is a winner in terms of feeling full and not putting too much shit in your body. Not a paleo protein to carbs ratio but something reasonable.

Tabris

#1 change you want to make is only drink water. No soda ever again (this was hard for me). No fruit juices.

Coffee if you need it for your mornings, but try to reduce filling it with sugar.

Whenever you think of consuming sugar with anything, think about whether the thing with sugar in it also has fibre for the sugar to bind to when digested (such as whole fruits). If not, don't have it.

If you can make the above change, and try to eat more whole food meals (that Steak is OK as long as you load up the other half of your plate with things like broccoli), you will be good.

EDIT - The next step after is using myfitnesspal.com to count calories and macro-nutrients of everything you consume.

I am halfway in the boat about Holland needing to go, too, but I am not sure. I think that's just me being pissed about his free agency work the past few years.

I think Babcock is a bit overrated for all the hype he's getting. Good regular season records but really spotty in the playoffs with some first-round chokes and Detroit hasn't made it past the conference semi-finals in six years. Other than the Cup win in '08 and making it to the finals in '09, his record looks no better than Todd McLellan's.

trifelife

Salad every day bruh. Try adding different nuts and seeds, cheeses, dried fruits and anything else you can think of. Beans have a ton of protein and will bulk a salad up pretty nice. Try making your own dressings and see what you like. You may find some inspiration here. Steamed kale as a base for a salad is my favourite. Spinach is also unfuckwithable. Mix in some quinoa or couscous if you want a more filling salad.

Get in the habit of making vegetables with every meal. It's really just a matter of developing some go-to things you can make in your sleep. Mashed sweet potatoes with some chipotle mixed in, for example, is sogood.gif and all you have to do is steam and mash some sweet potatoes.

Hit the lean protein pretty heavy. Drink lots of water. Staying hydrated helps with food cravings.

ShaneB

My advice is a bit skewed since I'm actively trying to gain weight, but will just echo what some of the folks have already said. All you should be drinking is water, morning noon and night. If you think you're hungry and you've already ate, drink water. Even if you carry around a water bottle, every time you think of that water bottle you're carrying around, take a drink.

My diet is pretty simple really, and aided by the fact that I don't have much need for a lot of variety. Think about eating clean foods, meaning avoid shit you can pronounce and with as few ingredients as possible.

Don't think of carbs as evil, but complex carbs are good for you. Sweet potatoes, whole grain rice, fine fuel for an intense cardio session, etc.

Lean proteins like chicken breasts, and basic veggies should be your staples. I eat lots of broccoli and spinach.

Of course for losing weight, portions are everything, so keep those under control as you've mentioned, and hit those weights hard!

For snacks I'll always have some almonds handy, just a few are fine, and if I've got a sweet tooth craving I'll have a bit of natural peanut butter with a tiny bit of honey.

I think Babcock is a bit overrated for all the hype he's getting. Good regular season records but really spotty in the playoffs with some first-round chokes and Detroit hasn't made it past the conference semi-finals in six years. Other than the Cup win in '08 and making it to the finals in '09, his record looks no better than Todd McLellan's.

I hope the Leafs can find someone with the right blend of motivation skills and ability to work with developing players. I don't know much about Hitchcock, McLellan or Babcock, but they don't seem to be that.

Socreges

Banned
Toronto would be a poor career move for Babcock, I suspect. I doubt he'd put himself in that position.

He hasn't had the best rosters, to be fair. And he's also got 2 gold medals. And another SCF appearance with the Ducks. Give him a legit contender and he'll do his job.

zroid

Banned
Not that I wouldn't want Babs to coach in TOR but yea the fit doesn't really seem to make sense. Personally I am kind of on board the Jeff Blashill train. And make Sheldon Keefe the Marlies coach.

Top Bottom