• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Merguson

Banned
Is Lou going to listen to Dubas when he's talking Fenwick or score effects? Super interesting dynamic, and you wonder if Dubas gets marginalized as a result.

Well, the Devils hired a blogger to be their Director of Analytics last year so I imagine Lou isn't exactly out of touch regarding that.

imBask

Banned
Same thing they've always done. Just sit down and grab some popcorn, it's going to be an entertaining ride.

we're gonna need a LOT of it man

nothing_like_popcorn_with_a_movie-15084.gif

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So I keep hearing some of you say the media is not going to like dealing with Lou.

Can you provide examples? Just cause I love the media getting shit thrown at them whenever possible.

It's what I miss about Burke.

Quick

Banned
let's wait till the press conference. not that I expect them to say anything mindblowing, but back when they hired Babcock everyone jumped to the conclusion that they were ditching the rebuild plan, but at his revealing they went out of their way to tell people he was on board. if Lou is on board with the plan that exists under Shanny, and isn't going to be the key decision maker, then all is well. like calder was saying, no GM has as much front office experience as LL. if it's all about facilitating moves and networking then it's a positive step for sure.

This all seems sound to me.

The way I also see it, Dubas gets to learn from a very experienced GM.

zroid

Banned
I was planning to see Ant Man today at 1:00, but I changed the time to 4:00 so I wouldn't miss the press conference :lol

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
The Lou hiring also makes me feel good once again that this front office doesn't have much leaks.

Poor Darren Dreger tho. :(

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I feel like the Lamoriello hiring was made specifically to ensure that Dubas doesn't grow too big for his britches before he eventually becomes GM.

Lou's history on coaches from Wikipedia:

Jim Schoenfeld: January 26, 1988 – November 6, 1989 (124 regular season games)
John Cunniff: November 6, 1989 – March 4, 1991 (133)
Tom McVie: March 4, 1991 – June 5, 1992 (93)
Herb Brooks: June 5, 1992 – May 31, 1993 (84)
Jacques Lemaire: June 28, 1993 – May 8, 1998 (378)
Robbie Ftorek: May 21, 1998 – March 23, 2000 (156)
Larry Robinson: March 23, 2000 – January 28, 2002 (141)
Kevin Constantine: January 28, 2002 – June 13, 2002 (31)
Pat Burns: June 13, 2002 – July 14, 2005 (164)
Larry Robinson: July 14, 2005 – December 19, 2005 (32)
Himself: December 19, 2005 – May 14, 2006 (50)
Claude Julien: June 13, 2006 – April 2, 2007 (79)
Himself: April 2, 2007 – July 12, 2007 (3)
Brent Sutter: July 12, 2007 – June 10, 2009 (164)
Jacques Lemaire: July 13, 2009–April 26, 2010 (82)
John MacLean: June 17, 2010–December 23, 2010 (33)
Jacques Lemaire: December 23, 2010–April 10, 2011 (49)
Peter DeBoer: July 19, 2011 - December 26, 2014 (212)

And then Adam Oates took over after DeBoer and John Hynes got hired a little while ago. The longest a coach has been in place is five years - second-longest was three - and half don't make it to 100 games. Unless Shanahan gets final say on matters like this, Babcock has nearly 30 years of history going against him.

calder

The Lou hiring also makes me feel good once again that this front office doesn't have much leaks.

Poor Darren Dreger tho. :(

Wasn't the Shanny front office already pretty damn quiet? I can't imagine how they could leak less, short of Lou garroting Simmons or Cox as an example to all the TO media to respect the new rule of omerta.

I think everyone would be OK with that honestly.

zroid

Banned
That's true, but I think his concussion has scared people away. If he has a big rebound year with Kadri maybe they can pump his value, but I doubt it happens.

wasn't he good last year though? Therrien just didn't use him. his possession numbers and scoring rates were solid, and he's going to get top 6 minutes in Toronto. i really don't think moving PAP will be a problem, unless he gets hurt or something.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
wasn't he good last year though? Therrien just didn't use him. his possession numbers and point rates were solid, and he's going to get top 6 minutes in Toronto. i really don't think moving PAP will be a problem, unless he gets hurt or something.
He wasn't given a fair chance, but he was also bad defensively and was pretty one dimensional. Given a better chance and more PP time he could turn it up, but his game isn't well rounded enough to make up for when he's not scoring.

Lou's history on coaches from Wikipedia:

And then Adam Oates took over after DeBoer and John Hynes got hired a little while ago. The longest a coach has been in place is five years - second-longest was three - and half don't make it to 100 games. Unless Shanahan gets final say on matters like this, Babcock has nearly 30 years of history going against him.

I'm going to say there is zero chance Lou has the authority to let Babcock go.

Merguson

Banned
That's true, but I think his concussion has scared people away. If he has a big rebound year with Kadri maybe they can pump his value, but I doubt it happens.

I suppose we'll find out. No point in arguing about it now. He'll get the opportunity to produce, though.

Top Bottom