• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Entropia

No One Remembers
Semin to MTL on a one year contract. So he'll play well for this one year to get an extended contract then go back to being a lazy ruskie.

I have some bad news...

WHAT THE HECK

picgifs-wut-confused-574419.gif

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Semin? Lmao I never thought it would happen. I give him 15 games before Therrien benches him. What an amazing deal though, nothing to lose here. I love it, if he could develop some chemistry with AGally at centre, it could be great.

imBask

Banned
NOW SIGN AGALLY

Galchenyuk wants a superstar contract but has nothing to show for, he can go on a strike for all I care

plus maybe that Semin signing is kind of a "look kid we can replace you any day, take our deal and shut it" type of message towards him

calder

low risk, high reward move there by MTL.

No such thing as a bad 1 year deal, and for a guy like Semin the upside is very high.

With his reputation and history though I don't think having a very inexpensive contract will save him from the media/fans in Montreal if he doesn't produce offensively. Any other guy making 1.1 million for a single year would basically have expectations of a bottom 6 guy at most, but Semin won't have that luxury.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
No such thing as a bad 1 year deal, and for a guy like Semin the upside is very high.

With his reputation and history though I don't think having a very inexpensive contract will save him from the media/fans in Montreal if he doesn't produce offensively. Any other guy making 1.1 million for a single year would basically have expectations of a bottom 6 guy at most, but Semin won't have that luxury.

We all know Semin can drop the gloves if need be.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I don't see how any Habs fan can be upset about the Semin deal. Low risk, high reward. Good fit.

Curufinwe

Taking on Semin would usually give you loads to worry about, but the short term makes it easier to swallow even if it ends up being a messy situation.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-e...oriello-is-a-perfect-stopgap-for-maple-leafs/

The real issue lies within the last three seasons, where Lamoriello and former Director of Scouting David Conte both had integral parts in the undoing of one of the most secretive yet dominant franchises in recent memory. A lack of young talent, franchise direction and a refusal to acknowledge a problem with the on-ice product when there was a very obvious one were some of the many factors that led into the team’s demise.

Lamoriello’s last few years in Jersey just wreak of stubbornness. Look at Zach Parise’s unrestricted free agency in 2012 and how the whole fiasco would have been completely avoided had Lamoriello set aside his policies of not negotiating contracts during the season and just signed the guy. Look at Ilya Kovalchuk’s departure from the NHL and a lack of wherewithal nor a plan to even replace half of his presence. Look at the amount of coaches Lamoriello has gone through during his tenure, and the average duration of each of their stays behind the bench. Look at his refusal to promote the team with modern tactics like a third jersey (those red and green retros, anyone?), players barred from social media, a refusal to lure free agents with the appeal of living in New York or at least playing right next door.

Back to panic mode.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

You missed this part:

During his time in New Jersey, Lamoriello crafted a team that played a near-perfect, albeit boring system that led the team to three Stanley Cup titles in eight seasons, failing to make the playoffs only seven times over the span of his 28-year career. The only man who remotely matches his track record currently in the NHL is Ken Holland in Detroit, whose team is chasing a quarter-century’s worth of consecutive playoff appearances.

[...]

Lamoriello has his faults, but Toronto is getting a man with one of the firmest and most impeccable resumes in hockey history. Nobody is perfect, but this is a man who has been finding loopholes for years, like drafting Scott Niedermayer and grabbing Scott Stevens as a compensatory player; a man who despite a penalty of losing a first rounder by trying to circumvent a cap with Kovalchuk’s infamous contract, still drafted John Quinneville at 30th overall in 2014 with that exact pick and forfeited nothing; a man who dragged his mediocre team with its bankrupt owner and over-the-hill defense and goaltending to a Stanley Cup Final in 2012; a man who despite all signs pointing to his retirement and exit from professional hockey is still in the NHL in 2015. He was never supposed to be in professional hockey in the first place.

Solo

Semin signing is fantastic from a risk/reward standpoint. Awesome deal, best Bergevin has made in some time.

BUT, I fear Therrien will have him on the 4th line within a month and we'll lose out on a potential 30 goal scorer.

Oh great, now Tabris is going to come in here and say the Canucks could've signed Semin for $1.1M.

He's probably refreshing his subscriptions page as I type this.

Solo

My lines:

Patches-AGally-Semin
DD-Plekanec-Gallagher
Smith-Pelly-Eller-DLR
Weise-Mitchell-Kassian
Flynn

What Therrien will actually do:

Patches-DD-Weise
AGally-Plekanec-Kassian
Eller-Gallagher-Smith-Pelly
Mitchell-DLR-Flynn
Semin

iLLmAtlc

I'm a big fan of Semin, he has so much talent. For a while I honestly thought his release was better than Ovechkins.

Last couple years in Carolina was a gong show but they dealt with a ton of injuries up and down the line up.

I see this working out for Montreal tbh

Quick

Banned
Semin's gonna do well in Montreal, sign an extension, flounder, and then end with the Leafs only to become a third liner.

The cycle of Habskaku and Leafskaku.

Socreges

Banned
Semin had 6 goals last year? Still worth signing him at that price. Bury him in the minors if need be - $1m isn't too much

Semin cancels out the (now) hilariously shit signing of Petry, at least this year.
Even at the time I couldn't believe it was bring celebrated

‏@SWhyno
In email to potential Las Vegas season ticket holders, Bill Foley says "name of the team will be determined by our season ticket depositors"

Great! Because i don't think Las Vegas Black Knights has a nice ring to it.

Top Bottom