• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

zroid

Banned
Can't they give him a new contract? it'd be dumb of them to let him go.

yeah they should try to keep him cause he's going to be one of the better UFA goalies on the market

but there's other teams looking for goaltending, San Jose and Edmonton for example. if it turns into a bidding war... oo boy

Splatoon keeps blowing my mind, I hadn't noticed the squid sisters were named Callie and Marie, get it?

lol actually I hadn't even thought about it till you just mentioned that. Clever.

Vman

yeah they should try to keep him cause he's going to be one of the better UFA goalies on the market

but there's other teams looking for goaltending, San Jose and Edmonton for example. if it turns into a bidding war... oo boy

I would expect within a week or two we hear he re-signs.

Dubnyk was on a one year contract right?

gonna be interesting to see where he ends up...

like I said in the other thread when everyone was hating on him his career numbers are actually very good outside of one atrocious season. this season was no more an outlier than that bad one.\

that said, he might get horribly overpaid because he is now a Vezina Nominee™

I mean my criticism of Dubnyk isn't number related really. I've seen more than my share of Edmonton and he commonly gives up shitty goals that no goalie ever should in this league. That wasn't much of a factor this year but suddenly appeared in the second round, explaining my comment about him. The guy is the size of a building, it would be extra sad if his numbers weren't good.

Bow down to the Holy
Slapper
One!

17725011-mmmain.jpg

Hopefully the kid has a good offseason, needs to really work on a few things to carry his game to the next level, he's just too good for the AHL though. 9 goals in 6 AHL playoff games.

zroid

Banned
I mean my criticism of Dubnyk isn't number related really. I've seen more than my share of Edmonton and he commonly gives up shitty goals that no goalie ever should in this league. That wasn't much of a factor this year but suddenly appeared in the second round, explaining my comment about him. The guy is the size of a building, it would be extra sad if his numbers weren't good.

I understand that, especially since Bernier seems to give up a lot of garbage goals himself. I won't be forgetting his Toskala goal any time soon.

Even so I think it's important to note that, while a bad goal let in at an inopportune time can feel like you blew it for your team on that day, over a large sample, all saves are treated equally. So career sv% (or adjusted sv%) is still a more helpful way to measure a goalie's value than how many "bad goals" he does or doesn't let in.

I understand that, especially since Bernier seems to give up a lot of garbage goals himself. I won't be forgetting his Toskala goal any time soon.

Even so I think it's important to note that, while a bad goal let in at an inopportune time can feel like you blew it for your team on that day, over a large sample, all saves are treated equally. So career sv% (or adjusted sv%) is still a more helpful way to measure a goalie's value than how many "bad goals" he does or doesn't let in.

I would argue all saves being treated equally is merely a shortcoming of statistics tracking and not more important than whether or not your team feels like they can trust you. If Dubnyk starts to show the things he did in Edmonton next season I seriously doubt the team in front of him plays the same way they played this year. Assuming he ends up in Minnesota that is.

Dopeystats pls save us.

zroid

Banned
I would argue all saves being treated equally is merely a shortcoming of statistics tracking and not more important than whether or not your team feels like they can trust you. If Dubnyk starts to show the things he did in Edmonton next season I seriously doubt the team in front of him plays the same way they played this year. Assuming he ends up in Minnesota that is.

Dopeystats pls save us

Well I mean it in the sense that a goal is a goal, regardless of how tough the save is to make. Not whether the save was more difficult or not. Adjusted Sv% is used to differentiate high danger, medium danger, and low danger shots, so you get some granularity there, in case the team you play for is strong defensively or a tire fire.

But if a goalie has, for example, a fantastic low danger sv%, a horrific high danger sv%, and his overall adjusted sv% is below average, then he maybe doesn't let in a lot of bad goals, but he's still allowing more goals than an average goalie.

Well I mean it in the sense that a goal is a goal, regardless of how tough the save is to make. Not whether the save was more difficult or not. Adjusted Sv% is used to differentiate high danger, medium danger, and low danger shots, so you get some granularity there, in case the team you play for is strong defensively or a tire fire.

But if a goalie has, for example, a fantastic low danger sv%, a horrific high danger sv%, and his overall adjusted sv% is below average, then he maybe doesn't let in a lot of bad goals, but he's still allowing more goals than an average goalie.

Right but when you give up a shit goal and more importantly at a really bad time I don't think your teammates are thinking about your high danger sv% and low danger sv%. That's my whole point. On the ice the game is at the very least equally about momentum as it is things like sv%. Dubnyk is a goalie that can destroy your team's momentum while having a fantastic or even average sv%. It may seem unfair that I'm singling him out for that but of the players I've become decently familiar watching over the years he has always stood out for these reasons to me.

Every goalie gives up the shit goals. The good ones just do it way less often.

I was reading about Dubnyk and it seems the Wild overplayed him ever since he got hot. So his decline might be due to fatigue.

Teams typically rest their best players and goalie once they clinch so they can be well rested for the playoffs. I don't think Dubnyk had that luxury? Didn't he have like 30+ consecutive starts before the playoffs?

Same goes with Suter I think.

I wonder if Fletcher is going to make any big moves this off-season. Three years in a row we have gone to the playoffs and were beaten by the Hawks. The first time was decidedly in their favor, the second time was a toss up that they came out on top on, and this time they destroyed us. Clearly something the Wild are doing is not enough.

Koivu has 11 points in the last 30 playoff games. Suter has 9 in 28. Vanek was just about useless. Stewart hardly did a thing before he got hurt.

Stewart probably walks this year. Vanek is back because he is virtually untradeable thanks to his cap hit. Thankfully he only has two years left. Suter is Suter, and he looked shaky all year. Hopefully that is more due to off-ice tragedies rather than him regressing.

Koivu, in my opinion, should go. He's slowed down a lot the last few years and just is not the semi-dominant player he used to be. He's 6'3" and weighs 222 but plays smaller than Spurgeon's 5'9 185 most of the time. He's a soft player that cannot elevate his game when we need him to.

I have no idea if anyone would take him or if anyone even could thanks to his cap hit + NMC, but at this point I want him gone. Can't be giving him the #2 minutes on the team in the playoffs and see him score a grand total of 4 points in 10 games this year. Ridiculous.

Every goalie gives up the shit goals. The good ones just do it way less often.

I was reading about Dubnyk and it seems the Wild overplayed him ever since he got hot. So his decline might be due to fatigue.

Teams typically rest their best players and goalie once they clinch so they can be well rested for the playoffs. I don't think Dubnyk had that luxury? Didn't he have like 30+ consecutive starts before the playoffs?

Same goes with Suter I think.

Yeah something like that. The problem was that the Wild didn't clinch a playoff spot until the second to last game of the season. They rested Dubnyk that game, and then had him play in the final game of the regular season because otherwise he would have had over a week off before playoffs.

He was not showing any fatigue at all in the regular season and seemed to be getting better at times. Blues series he was good outside of the one shitshow game but against the Hawks he played like crap.

Pretty much everybody did though.

Don't the Wild have a ton of UFAs right now? They're in a position to move some things around but I don't think any of the players they'd want to trade would get much in return. UFA pool ain't lookin too great this year either if I recall.

Don't the Wild have a ton of UFAs right now? They're in a position to move some things around but I don't think any of the players they'd want to trade would get much in return. UFA pool ain't lookin too great this year either if I recall.

UFAs:

Brodziak, Stewart, Bergenheim, Ryan Carter, Ballard, Leopold, Prosser, Dubnyk

Of these, only ones I can see being brought back are Carter, Leopold, and Dubnyk. Carter is a 4th liner, Leopold is a 3rd pairing guy so neither will be expensive. Ballard is probably going to retire due to concussions, while Bergenheim and Prosser are practically useless. Stewart isn't worth the money, and Brodziak deserves more money elsewhere. Wouldn't surprise me to see him go back to Edmonton for big money.

RFA:

Granlund, Haula, Folin,

All RFAs are signed. Granlund could be problematic because he could make ~4 million or so, which is a bit tough to swallow. Haula and Folin will be cheap.

Add in that Backstrom will be bought out and yeah there is a lot of roster spots but there isn't that much cap space left. Should be around ~$8-10 million if my math is right, which is probably isn't.

zroid

Banned
The best thing about the Worlds might be how invariably some random unknown European goalie comes out of nowhere on a given day to put up a show-stopping performance

the weird unpredictability of goalies comes out in full force especially in single elimination formats

That Medievil PS4 Leak was a Fake...

:(

Oh Well.

:(

Sucks, but I wasn't going to get my hopes up anyways. Present day Sony releasing a new MediEvil game makes about as much sense as Heretic buying a Sony product

zroid

Banned
This Austrian goalie is having one of those days right now lol

he finally let one in but he's pretty much stopping everything from the Czech barrage

edit: the dam burst :(

And Wings would get a 3rd-rounder if he is hired.

Blashill or Maclellan probably get the job.

TMac I guess is talking to the Oilers... I would rather have Blash though, I think it's time he stepped up as a full NHL coach. I know he didn't do so great as an assistant, but he seems to thrive at every level as a head coach.

Cake Boss

Banned
So many possible moving parts and question marks for a lot of franchises this summer, who might all look for a coaching change.

Hitchcock and the Blues
Yeo and the Wild
Edmonton
Philly
Penguins
Shorks
Toronto
Maybe Thierrien
What happens to Boudreau if he's ousted by the Hawks?
New Jersey needs a coach too
Buffalo
Carolina needs a coach too

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Would they? I thought that only applied to coaches/execs who were still under contract

Yes--if he's hired before June 30. It's part of the agreement, according to Wings' beat writers.

CrazedArabMan said:
TMac I guess is talking to the Oilers... I would rather have Blash though, I think it's time he stepped up as a full NHL coach. I know he didn't do so great as an assistant, but he seems to thrive at every level as a head coach.

I guess Chiarelli called Detroit about Babcock after they interviewed TMac.

Darkhorse: Ken Hitchcock. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Blues fire him and Holland comes running because of the horrid defense.

I wonder if Fletcher is going to make any big moves this off-season. Three years in a row we have gone to the playoffs and were beaten by the Hawks. The first time was decidedly in their favor, the second time was a toss up that they came out on top on, and this time they destroyed us. Clearly something the Wild are doing is not enough.

Koivu has 11 points in the last 30 playoff games. Suter has 9 in 28. Vanek was just about useless. Stewart hardly did a thing before he got hurt.

Stewart probably walks this year. Vanek is back because he is virtually untradeable thanks to his cap hit. Thankfully he only has two years left. Suter is Suter, and he looked shaky all year. Hopefully that is more due to off-ice tragedies rather than him regressing.

Koivu, in my opinion, should go. He's slowed down a lot the last few years and just is not the semi-dominant player he used to be. He's 6'3" and weighs 222 but plays smaller than Spurgeon's 5'9 185 most of the time. He's a soft player that cannot elevate his game when we need him to.

I have no idea if anyone would take him or if anyone even could thanks to his cap hit + NMC, but at this point I want him gone. Can't be giving him the #2 minutes on the team in the playoffs and see him score a grand total of 4 points in 10 games this year. Ridiculous.

No one is taking Koivu at his age and cap hit. Who's your 1C if not him? Granlund? Coyle? They're both pretty young so I doubt they're ready for a bigger role.

Dubnyk saved Yeo's job, but I wonder how much longer Fletcher will hang onto his coach. On the one hand, there's little you can do about losing to Chicago three years in a row, plus they did beat St. Louis in the first round. On the other hand, he's been around for 4 years and they haven't made it past the second round. The Central is a tough division though.

zroid

Banned
will be interesting to see if Hawks take a step back next year. with the new Kane and Toews contracts kicking in, they're going to lose a lot of flexibility. this might be the last year they're the force of nature they've been over the last few years.

lots of UFA veterans coming off the books but they're going to need prospects to fill some of those holes and Saad is up for a new contract -- he's probably going to get a decent pay day.

So many possible moving parts and question marks for a lot of franchises this summer, who might all look for a coaching change.

Hitchcock and the Blues
Yeo and the Wild
Edmonton
Philly
Penguins
Shorks
Toronto
Maybe Thierrien
What happens to Boudreau if he's ousted by the Hawks?
New Jersey needs a coach too
Buffalo
Carolina needs a coach too

You guys should keep Dave.

I'd like Therrien to go but knows what happens next.

Who are the Habs likely Candidates for Coach when/IF Therrien gets the boot?

will be interesting to see if Hawks take a step back next year. with the new Kane and Toews contracts kicking in, they're going to lose a lot of flexibility. this might be the last year they're the force of nature they've been over the last few years.

lots of UFA veterans coming off the books but they're going to need prospects to fill some of those holes and Saad is up for a new contract -- he's probably going to get a decent pay day.

They lost Ladd, Byfuglien, Brouwer, Niemi, and Campbell after 2010. After 2012, they lost Bolland and Frolik. Eventually their prospect pool could dry up with all the picks they've traded away but they'll still be competitive with their core.

As a destination franchise they can probably get players signing there are a discount. I can see Richards, Vermette, and Desjardins re-signing to play for a contender.

No one is taking Koivu at his age and cap hit. Who's your 1C if not him? Granlund? Coyle? They're both pretty young so I doubt they're ready for a bigger role.

The problem is that none of them are 1Cs. Koivu certainly isn't, and Granlund is closer and younger. Granlund plays with our best talent and makes them better, this year having 9 less points than Koivu in 12 less games.

That is a wider gap than it should be, and Koivu is regressing. Granlund continues to get better and has potential to become as good, if not better, than Koivu.

Koivu does not deserve the minutes he gets. He's aging and is becoming less and less effective. His cap hit is atrocious for what he brings to the table, and even if Granlund clocks in at 2/3 or 3/4 the cap hit and we dump Koivu, we come out on top.

Dubnyk saved Yeo's job, but I wonder how much longer Fletcher will hang onto his coach. On the one hand, there's little you can do about losing to Chicago three years in a row, plus they did beat St. Louis in the first round. On the other hand, he's been around for 4 years and they haven't made it past the second round. The Central is a tough division though.

Yeo's job was apparently never in question. Fletcher was voicing his confidence in Yeo for weeks during that shitty stretch in December and January, completely backing Yeo 100%. It's bullshit, but I feel like unless Fletcher leaves, Yeo isn't going anywhere.

And what really sucks is that Yeo's system is effective. When the players completely play it without reservation they dominate. They did it for long stretches in the back half of the regular season and won a vast majority of their games. They did it for stretches of the Blues series. They did it for 10 minutes in the Blackhawks series and scored three goals.

I believe in Mike Yeo, and Fletcher does too, but the Wild simply don't for whatever bumfuck reason. I firmly believe that there are some ghosts haunting this team, forcing them to have confidence issues in themselves and each other. It's ridiculous. If dumping Koivu and shaking up the leadership changes that, then I'm all for it.

zroid

Banned
They lost Ladd, Byfuglien, Brouwer, Niemi, and Campbell after 2010. After 2012, they lost Bolland and Frolik. Eventually their prospect pool could dry up with all the picks they've traded away but they'll still be competitive with their core.

As a destination franchise they can probably get players signing there are a discount. I can see Richards, Vermette, and Desjardins re-signing to play for a contender.

Well they've already got that KHL phenom signed. So ya... being a free agent destination helps!

they'll be competitive for sure but then in 2010 they didn't have two players committed to nearly 30% of the cap, I don't think. will be tougher to fill holes now than it was a few years ago.

From @rich_hammond

Audio of Varlamova being played in court. She was sobbing, talking about how Voynov pushed her into TV.

Varlamova said Voynov “is aggressive every time. It is not first time.” Also said “my blood, all over our bedroom.”

I don't think Voynov is coming back to the NHL

Clydefrog

From @rich_hammond

Audio of Varlamova being played in court. She was sobbing, talking about how Voynov pushed her into TV.

Varlamova said Voynov “is aggressive every time. It is not first time.” Also said “my blood, all over our bedroom.”

I don't think Voynov is coming back to the NHL

What a piece of shit. Don't they have a kid too? :(

Top Bottom