• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Cake Boss

Banned
I can see the Habs throwing money at is Matt Belesky, big body power forward type with a scoring touch that Bergevin have been looking to add.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Sharp only has two more years on his contract anyway which will bring him to 35, not a big deal.

Does Vancouver actually want to trade him though? They don't seem to be in the acquire draft picks stage.

I don't think we wanna trade him, given that we're still trying to milk a cup out of the Sedins and Vrbata was amazing for us during the regular season. Plus he frees up some space on the roster for line combinations.

We'll give you Burrows though, he'll fit right into the Habs, he already barely speaks English!

I'm only okay with trading Vrbata if we get a good return and go into all-out rebuilding mode. No point in trading Vrbata AND trying to still go for a deep run and keep around some of the dead weight.

Hopefully gone this summer:

- One of Markstrom/Lack/Miller/(Ericsson? Do we still have him under contract or is he fully in Europe now lol)
- Burrows

If we're going full-out rebuilding, we should also trade:

- Bieska (love him but he's not worth 4.6 Mio AND he's a UFA after next season)
- Vrbata
- Dorsett (why did we sign him for so long again)
- Edler (should net a good return)
- Definitely trade Miller

Go with

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen
Baertschi-Horvat-Hansen
Kenins-Bonino-Shinkaruk
McCann-Virtanen-Higgins

Lack
Markstrom

fuck all, tank for Horvat-Matthews future

Sounds like the Blackhawks are gonna be the ones to sign Mike Reilly when he becomes a UFA next month. Sucks, but the kid has the leverage and he wants to play for winners. Sigh...

Who knows what kind of D-men Jarmo's going to get in the off-season.

The only report I see linking Reilly and the Hawks is one from hockeybuzz, aka the most laughable reporting agency in hockey.

Pikma

Banned
Life Is Strange ep 3 coming out next week!

tumblr_mso85eiB7m1svcx84o1_500.gif

zroid

Banned
Tyler Bozak would be the answer to so many teams' problems

great young two-way centreman. excellent at faceoffs (faceoffs are very important, y'know?). and he's a monster on breakaways.

how many times have you thought "man if only this player who's breaking away had good enough hands to actually put the puck in!" Bozak is your guy.

heck, Connor McDavid models his game after him!

Foggy

The only report I see linking Reilly and the Hawks is one from hockeybuzz, aka the most laughable reporting agency in hockey.

I heard it from Portzline's twitter, who's one of the local hockey guys. Then again, he was confused about the whole process of Reilly becoming a UFA(June 1st or 30 days from de-committing to UM, whichever's later), so you're probably right anyway. Regardless, it's been looking like a lost cause since he didn't jump into one of the late season games and get one year closer to becoming a UFA. Since he didn't do that, I'm not sure why he'd pick Columbus over Minnesota or Chicago. I can't imagine playing under Richards right now in Prague is going to sway him either way.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Habs fans are missing the obvious answer for their #1 center position, Tyler H. Bozak. You're welcome.

Tyler Bozak would be the answer to so many teams' problems

great young two-way centreman. excellent at faceoffs (faceoffs are very important, y'know?). and he's a monster on breakaways.

how many times have you thought "man if only this player who's breaking away had good enough hands to actually put the puck in!" Bozak is your guy.

heck, Connor McDavid models his game after him!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Socreges

Banned
I don't think we wanna trade him, given that we're still trying to milk a cup out of the Sedins and Vrbata was amazing for us during the regular season. Plus he frees up some space on the roster for line combinations.

We'll give you Burrows though, he'll fit right into the Habs, he already barely speaks English!

I'm only okay with trading Vrbata if we get a good return and go into all-out rebuilding mode. No point in trading Vrbata AND trying to still go for a deep run and keep around some of the dead weight.

Hopefully gone this summer:

- One of Markstrom/Lack/Miller/(Ericsson? Do we still have him under contract or is he fully in Europe now lol)
- Burrows

If we're going full-out rebuilding, we should also trade:

- Bieska (love him but he's not worth 4.6 Mio AND he's a UFA after next season)
- Vrbata
- Dorsett (why did we sign him for so long again)
- Edler (should net a good return)
- Definitely trade Miller

Go with

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen
Baertschi-Horvat-Hansen
Kenins-Bonino-Shinkaruk
McCann-Virtanen-Higgins

Lack
Markstrom

fuck all, tank for Horvat-Matthews future
I hate this. Let the Drive for 9th begin.

-Habs won't trade Plekanec. Yes they'll get a good return for him, but that return will be a young, unproven forward and a pick. Not exactly the players you need for a Cup run. When your best players are in their prime you need proven players, not prospects.
-I suppose Desharnais is garbage but he seems to be like Bozak: a decent centre but not a 1C on a team you win the Cup with. Until Galchenyuk/Eller are better than him and his cap hit is a detriment I can't see him getting moved.
-Petry will be highly sought after with such a weak UFA defenceman pool.

-I do think the Canucks should trade Vrbata, but management wants a playoff team and his 30 goals are very hard to replace. If they're totally out of the race by the deadline next year, trade him for a 1st. But with the points system and parity in the NHL, they'll still have a shot at a wildcard spot.
-Miller should also be traded but he has an NTC and the optics look bad if you trade your big FA signing one year later.
-Burrows and Bieksa should also go but they're a big part of the locker room and won't net a very significant return. Hamhuis would be worth more, but he's probably too valuable to trade.
-Edler's not going anywhere. Very good cap hit for a top pairing defenceman and he's 29.

Red_Man

-I suppose Desharnais is garbage but he seems to be like Bozak: a decent centre but not a 1C on a team you win the Cup with. Until Galchenyuk/Eller are better than him and his cap hit is a detriment I can't see him getting moved.
People who don't watch the team really need to quit saying this. He's had the easiest minutes, the easiest match ups and top PP unit time with our best forward for 4 seasons now and has never scored more than 16 goals, only hit 60 points once when he was riding the success of Cole / Patches mutliple 30 goal seasons and has never scored more than 3 PP goals in a single season even though he's been on the top unit for all these years. He's also garbage defensively and doesn't back check for shit, and gets knocked off the puck like a child. He's literally a 3rd line fringe player that happens to play with one of the best wingers in the game. He's not good and not an NHL center, straight up. Anyone who doesn't think Eller / AGally are an instant upgrade on him hasn't watched more than 10 Habs games this year.

I just keep holding onto the fact that Clarkson was moved, and therefore anyone, including Desharnais is moveable. For this team to have success in the playoffs, he can not be on it.

/Endrant

Smiley90 said:
One of Markstrom/Lack/Miller/(Ericsson? Do we still have him under contract or is he fully in Europe now lol)

His contract is up. I would guess he tries to move on again, since he switched leagues before to get out of Markstrom's shadow already. But who knows!

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Habs have to trade one of Desharnais and Plekanec. Best case scenario would be trading Desharnais and giving Galchenyuk those super easy minutes and good linemates.

The UFA pool for defencemen looks okay actually, but Petry had the biggest spotlight on him out of everyone on that list, and delivered.

Red_Man

If we can't sign Petry, we're in trouble and will have a pretty big hole to fill. I feel like Bergevin will do everything he can to sign him, both him and Therrien glowed about him any chance they got, which is pretty rare to see from Therrien.

Cake Boss

Banned
Are any of you interested in getting Matthew Beleskey?

I can't see the Ducks resigning him.

Bryan Murray will be interested, instead of looking to add a top 4 dman, he will waste all energy and money to find that top 6 forward he's been looking for 10 years now.

We Shouldn't Trade Pleks.

But here's who we Should Trade

Torkaski- He's Crap and I don't trust him as our backup. I hear Calgary is looking to move Ramo. I think he'd be a great back up.

DD-French David Clarkson, Let's Move on

Emelin-He's... Not so bright, defensively Pateryn is going to be his Replacement.

Eller- I think we gave him too many Chances. I think it's time to move him.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
We Shouldn't Trade Pleks.

But here's who we Should Trade

Torkaski- He's Crap and I don't trust him as our backup. I hear Calgary is looking to move Ramo. I think he'd be a great back up.

DD-French David Clarkson, Let's Move on

Emelin-He's... Not so bright, defensively Pateryn is going to be his Replacement.

Eller- I think we gave him too many Chances. I think it's time to move him.

You've got to stop trying to trade Eller dude, he's the perfect third line centre. He might even put up decent numbers with some good linemates. We wouldn't even get fair value for him.

Red_Man

Aaron Ward just implied that he's heard Galchenyuk doesn't want to play for Therrien anymore on TSN radio, not that that is in anyway surprising.

Red_Man

Eller is an odd case. I want him to stay, but I could easily see him being moved as a piece in a package deal for a sniper. Eller, Fucale, Tinordi, Andrighetto are all guys that I think we could see moved this summer. I'm torn on Tinordi as well, but it will take one of him or Beaulieu and they're not moving Beaulieu.

Does Jason Pominville interest you guys
Noooooooooooooope.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Friedman: Todd McLellan will be Oilers' coach 'barring a major collapse'

Todd McLellan's return flight from the Czech Republic might take him straight to Edmonton.

Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman said in a radio interview Wednesday afternoon that "barring a major collapse" in negotiations, McLellan will be named coach of the Edmonton Oilers when he returns from coaching Canada at the World Championship.

Friedman added that, to his knowledge, an agreement has not been reached, but the announcement won't be made by the Oilers' new-look front office while McLellan is overseas, anyway.

This doesn't yet eliminate Mike Babcock from contention, but pours more cold water on the belief that he could spurn the Detroit Red Wings and jump at the opportunity to coach Connor McDavid and the young Oilers.

McLellan has developed a strong rapport with Jordan Eberle and Taylor Hall, who are serving under the long-time San Jose Sharks bench boss in Prague.

People who don't watch the team really need to quit saying this. He's had the easiest minutes, the easiest match ups and top PP unit time with our best forward for 4 seasons now and has never scored more than 16 goals, only hit 60 points once when he was riding the success of Cole / Patches mutliple 30 goal seasons and has never scored more than 3 PP goals in a single season even though he's been on the top unit for all these years. He's also garbage defensively and doesn't back check for shit, and gets knocked off the puck like a child. He's literally a 3rd line fringe player that happens to play with one of the best wingers in the game. He's not good and not an NHL center, straight up. Anyone who doesn't think Eller / AGally are an instant upgrade on him hasn't watched more than 10 Habs games this year.

I just keep holding onto the fact that Clarkson was moved, and therefore anyone, including Desharnais is moveable. For this team to have success in the playoffs, he can not be on it.

/Endrant

Fair enough. Can zroid chime in with some fancy stats?

$3.5M for two more years is hard to get rid of. Maybe if another team had a bad contract to dump they could work out a trade.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Bryan Murray will be interested, instead of looking to add a top 4 dman, he will waste all energy and money to find that top 6 forward he's been looking for 10 years now.

I don't even mind our defence as long as we promote from within(Wideman, Claesson) and we do need scoring help as evidenced by our scoring in the first round.

The problem is that what constitutes Murray's "good" blueline is one that includes Gryballs and Philoops :/

zroid

Banned
Fair enough. Can zroid chime in with some fancy stats?

ok here's a chart. all MTL forwards this season (regular and playoffs) with >500 mins.

eE0cOZE.png

I used scoring chance % on the Y-axis since it's a bit more tangible than just shot attempts

So what can you learn from this?

- DD gets a lot of offensive zone starts (most on the team). But so do most of the Habs top 6 forwards (except Pleks)
- He faces relatively tougher competition than average but easier than the Gallys, Patches, and Pleks.
- despite this he performs worse in terms of Scoring Chance % than all the forwards with comparable usage.
- he performs similarly to Pleks despite easier minutes and much more offensive zone starts. Clearly Plekanec is the "true" #1C on this team, given this information.
- PAP performs similarly to DD despite facing similar competition, AND much fewer offensive zone starts.
- Not DD related, but Gallagher is really good. lol

DD is ok. He's probably a solid 3rd line player, unlike, say, Bozak, who is a mediocre 3rd line player. But it's time for him to stop playing C in the top 6. 3rd line C or 2nd line winger? That might work.

Red_Man

Gallagher's contract is going to be like Patches and look more ridiculous every season that goes by.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Desharnais also gets by far the best linemates of the centres too, Plekanec only rarely gets to play with Pacioretty, although he does get Galchenyuk pretty often, and Eller is forbidden from playing with Pacioretty, other than on the penalty kill sometimes.

Vman

Apparently Fletcher might actually try and trade Koivu this season

48009-Keanu-Reeves-whoa-gif--PandaWh-U1pg.gif

Russo, Wild writer, said something about it on the radio this morning. I missed it.

Suggested wild trade for Yakupov. Cited Spurgeon as being the main piece. Basically said Spurgeon is gone this summer or next year by trade cause of Dumba and Folin doing well and Oloffson coming. Also said Granlund could be traded if return value is good. For koivu to be gone though it would need to be for a center in return.

Edit: Oh and Kuemper could be trade bait

Top Bottom