• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

=/

Shame that that second period shit reffing left little bitter taste in my mouth. I mean czechs had far more shots and dominated the puck but still.

CZE vs CAN and RUS vs USA

1182.gif

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
They're not fucking around with this Melnyk situation. He's out of options and needs a donor now or he's not going to make it.

Ummmm wtf

Seriously contemplating being a donor, this is more important than hockey.

GSG Flash

I was overridden by family for the liver donation :(

I've never drank in my life and the only smoking I did was a few puffs of shisha years ago, so I think I would be a good candidate.

Melnyk has an AB blood type, so he can accept a donor of any blood type.

zroid

Banned
8idOViy.png

lolz

I was overridden by family for the liver donation :(

I've never drank in my life and the only smoking I did was a few puffs of shisha years ago, so I think I would be a good candidate.

Melnyk has an AB blood type, so he can accept a donor of any blood type.

You're a good guy, man. I'm glad he was able to get help.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Really surprised to hear Petry say that Montreal is his first choice. Really fucking happy too, make it happen Bergevin.

Red_Man

Sergio Momesso who commentates the Habs games for TSN 690 and is with the team all year said that we should expect Plekanec to be traded before next season. Bergevin is clearly listening to me.

Sergio Momesso who commentates the Habs games for TSN 690 and is with the team all year said that we should expect Plekanec to be traded before next season. Bergevin is clearly listening to me.

Pleks :(

What could we get for a player of that Caliber? Because Plekanec is a damn good Center.

Red_Man

Pleks :(

What could we get for a player of that Caliber? Because Plekanec is a damn good Center.
Vermette fetched a 1st round pick and prospect. Plekanec is better in every way, so I would use that as the expectation although that was at the deadline. Plekanec would be a fantastic pick up for a serious playoff team who already has an offensive #1 C.

The way I see it, if Plekanec is traded for maximum value it will be at the deadline. You trade him now, you might get a prospect and a 2nd at best.

But to be dealt at the deadline means the Habs aren't in playoff contention and are looking to rebuild, which has like a zero chance of happening.

Red_Man

The way I see it, if Plekanec is traded for maximum value it will be at the deadline. You trade him now, you might get a prospect and a 2nd at best.

But to be dealt at the deadline means the Habs aren't in playoff contention and are looking to rebuild, and they would never do that.
Yea, this is my thinking as well, but they need to move a center to make room for AGally. Their hands are kind of tied right now, they really need to find some garbage contract to take back in exchange for DD.

Red_Man

Vinny. He's a RW now.
Lol no thanks. Worst part about this is if we had a coach who wasn't retarded and didn't have a constant erection for Desharnais, we could just put him on the wing on the 3rd line and ride the contract out. As long as Therrien is coach, he can't be on this team.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Meanwhile the Canadiens allowed just 176 goals, the least in the league, leading most people to believe that they were a great defensive team.

The facts said otherwise though. In terms of scoring chances, the Canadiens allowed the 10th most in the entire league at even strength per minute played, the 11th most shots against, the 12th most unblocked shot attempts against, and the sixth most shot attempts against. Those aren't the marks of a great defensive team, they're in the bottom half of the league in every category.

Four more years!

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
:(

where's this from, EOTP?

Yeah, the article mostly just summarizes the various other articles he's written in the past about Montreal's system.

Maybe Bergevin knew about these defensive shortcomings and that's why he decided to go with DSP, Flynn and Mitchell as his deadline acquisitions, but it's not like bringing in a bunch of skilled guys could have made them much worse defensively.

Going with the theme of the Habs contending while Subban/Price/Pacioretty are all young and under $20 million, might not be a bad idea for them to go after Thornton and let Gally develop as the #2.

Jumbo as a Hab would be interesting. I'd like it a lot.

But I don't think Acid would approve.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Going with the theme of the Habs contending while Subban/Price/Pacioretty are all young and under $20 million, might not be a bad idea for them to go after Thornton and let Gally develop as the #2.

I'd love to have Thornton, and maybe Plekanec could be a fit there, but I have no idea what Joe's trade value is right now.

zroid

Banned
Yeah, the article mostly just summarizes the various other articles he's written in the past about Montreal's system.

Maybe Bergevin knew about these defensive shortcomings and that's why he decided to go with DSP, Flynn and Mitchell as his deadline acquisitions, but it's not like bringing in a bunch of skilled guys could have made them much worse defensively.

hmm

Teams adjusting to this strategy is, in my opinion anyway, one of the reasons the Canadiens were able to put up solid possession numbers in the playoffs. The Lightning in particular realized that they could crowd the middle of the ice, and Montreal was more than willing to try to shoot through a mess of bodies while outnumbered close to the net, and fail to get high quality scoring chances.

also known as the "Calgary Flames Voodoo Strategy"

it just happens that for them the pucks always seemed to go into the net :lol

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
hmm

also known as the "Calgary Flames Voodoo Strategy"

it just happens that for them the pucks always seemed to go into the net :lol

I think a good point he brought up is that the Habs actually managed to play Therrien's system really well, just that his system sucks.

When "experts" start apologising for coaches, they always bring up the fact that maybe the players didn't play the coach's system properly, or he didn't have the right personnel to work with.

Bergevin went out of his way to trade a more skilled player for a crash and bang style guy, and brought in two more "grit" players, to appease Therrien, and they did worse than the previous year.

zroid

Banned
I think a good point he brought up is that the Habs actually managed to play Therrien's system really well, just that his system sucks.

When "experts" start apologising for coaches, they always bring up the fact that maybe the players didn't play the coach's system properly, or he didn't have the right personnel to work with.

Bergevin went out of his way to trade a more skilled player for a crash and bang style guy, and brought in two more "grit" players, to appease Therrien, and they did worse than the previous year.

I actually felt there was a similar effect with the Leafs early in the season. There was a bunch of good new blood on the roster and they were playing noticeably, and statistically better in October and November than 2013-14.

Then things started to go off the rails in December and January until Carlyle was fired. (things continued to go off the rails after Carlyle was fired too, but for different reasons :lol)

a theory I and some people had was the more Carlyle coached these players, the worse the results got. the immediate statistical improvement they showed when Carlyle was fired added some credence to this too, I think.

edit: same thing about bringing in "Therrien-type players". Therrien really is the French Carlyle.

Red_Man

That would be perfect, so perfect it will never happen. Still need that winger as well.

GSG Flash

8idOViy.png

lolz

You're a good guy, man. I'm glad he was able to get help.

Melnyk has done a lot for Ottawa, so if I can do my part to save his life by donating a part of me that will grow back anyways, it's a no brainer. Unfortunately I have to take my family's feelings into account :(

I think that's only for blood transfusions.

They said his blood type has made finding a donor much more difficult.

Yeah, he is AB, but he's AB- and that's what makes all the difference. Would be a different story if he was a +.

Don't think the Rh factor matters for organ transplants, only blood transfusions: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/414309

Edit: A liver donor has to pass every step on this list: http://www.transplantliving.org/living-donation/being-a-living-donor/tests/

That's the reason why it has been so difficult to find a matching donor.

Red_Man

Four I think.

Up 2-0 on Pittsburgh in 2009, up 3-1 on Montreal in 2010, up 2-0 on New York in 2013 and up 3-1 on New York in 2015.

Help me.
Truly Sharks-East

Being a Caps fan through the Ovi era has to have been pretty painful. At least they look like they're going in the right direction for once after this years bounce.

Top Bottom