• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
As some reporters have mentioned, AGally has a new contract coming up this summer, so maybe some of his comments were related to that. Well need to wait and see what he does, but today has been a pretty big let down from him.

I'll try my best spin:

Bergevin just doesn't want to put pressure on Galchenyuk. If he says he expects Galchenyuk to be a top 6 centre on this team by next season, he then has expectations to live up to. I hope to Price that's what he meant.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
a5P3BBi.gif

Lol

I'll try my best spin:

Bergevin just doesn't want to put pressure on Galchenyuk. If he says he expects Galchenyuk to be a top 6 centre on this team by next season, he then has expectations to live up to. I hope to Price that's what he meant.

I'll take it that way if that's what he meant because that sounds like what MB was trying to say. If that's the case, then that's fine.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Thinking about it I'm not so shocked at his AGally comments with him going into RFA this summer.

They tried to play hardball with Subban as well 1-2 summer ago too didn't they and it even went to arbitration before someone had enough of that shit and got him signed long-term.

I'm conflicted, as a Leafs fan I love to see the Habs burn, but I feel bad for good Canadian boys like Solo, Red and Creeps.

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
End the road probably for hockey in the desert?

Coyotes' survival hinges on arena investigation.

Per TSN:

Senior elected city officials in Glendale, Arizona, say they are exploring whether legal grounds exist for them to void an arena management contract with the Arizona Coyotes, an agreement that calls for taxpayers to contribute $15 million per year over 15 years to the flagging NHL club.

When the city council in Glendale voted to give the owners of the Coyotes $225 million (all U.S. dollars) over 15 years, the money was supposed to be used by the team to manage the 12-year-old Gila River Arena, where the Coyotes play their home games.
The deal helped narrow the losses of a club that sports investment bankers say is a perpetual money loser, bleeding some $50 million or more per year.

But nearly two years after council approved the controversial pact, city officials claim the money that cash-strapped Glendale is paying to the team's owner IceArizona is instead going directly to Fortress Investment Group, the New York-based asset manager which financed holding company IceArizona's purchase of the Coyotes.

Glendale vice mayor Ian Hughes says using taxpayer dollars to pay down the team's debt rather than for direct arena management expenses amounts to a breach of contract. Hughes says he hopes in coming weeks to rally support on Glendale's seven-member city council to direct the city's attorney to explore whether the Phoenix suburb can get out of its contract with the Coyotes, a potential legal battle that could finally herald the Coyotes' exodus from the desert.

"The taxpayer got the short end of the stick," Hughes said in an interview. "If they call this an investment, you'd think there would be a possible return. I'm hard pressed to see the benefits to the city of Glendale."

Probably won't amount to much, but it does not look good down there currently. More at the link.

End the road probably for hockey in the desert?.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they under reported losses.

It's only a question of whether they leave when their clause to stay in Glendale expires or if the city finds a way to break the lease.

We should have some more hilarious Glendale city council meetings to watch in the near future.

zroid

Banned
Sooner we get this the Yotes out of Arizona the better. Fortunately there's no Yotes fans here so I can say that without feeling bad. (Sorry to the lurkers tho)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
An NHL owner says he thinks the league moves them to Vegas.

Sad that every one of us here saw this coming and they couldn't.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
An NHL owner says he thinks the league moves them to Vegas.

Well it is either Quebec or LV

I still think Quebec is a way better option but LV would open up an expansion in both east and west

And with LV there's no conference tinkering

calder

I'd argue that the league 1000% knew exactly how this would play out and, more importantly, this is precisely how they wanted it to go. They got to fleece Glendale for a few extra years, use them to prop up a new ownership group, keep the franchise values rising, AND give Vegas or Seattle a couple of years to sort out a new arena.

Parch

At least it's not as bad as the leafs situation.
If we can fix the fucking power play and some other things we can make this work.
Yes, definitely. I thought at the trade deadline the Habs needed one or maybe two more offensive pieces to get into that serious contender status. Based on player personal I think they're close, but now I still have some doubts about the coaching staff.

Parch

I'd argue that the league 1000% knew exactly how this would play out and, more importantly, this is precisely how they wanted it to go. They got to fleece Glendale for a few extra years, use them to prop up a new ownership group, keep the franchise values rising, AND give Vegas or Seattle a couple of years to sort out a new arena.
I agree. They knew what the Arizona market was like and knew it wasn't going to suddenly blossom into hockey nirvana. The league got to send out feelers and fully explore other location and ownership options by delaying the inevitable with the Coyotes situation.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I think a lot of us did, it was pretty exposing of how bad local government can be. The posts in this community about it were pretty funny though, that was a good night.

Which public services can they cut this time to keep the team a bit longer?

DopeyFish

Don't worry. Glendale will get itself out of its current contract and somehow end up in a worse one. There's precedent.

Samyy

I think a lot of us did, it was pretty exposing of how bad local government can be. The posts in this community about it were pretty funny though, that was a good night.

I wonder if the sleezy ex-fireman guy is still on the council, I love how he pretty much cut a ton of funding from services like the fire department for the Coyotes.

Cake Boss

Banned
I just watched the Marc Bergevirgin conference during my lunch, I have came to the conclusion that Galchendick is the worst hockey player in the league.

DopeyFish

I wonder if the sleezy ex-fireman guy is still on the council, I love how he pretty much cut a ton of funding from services like the fire department for the Coyotes.

Wasn't that the guy that got his seat because he campaigned against the coyotes and then the initial reading he is basically acting like a lobbyist?

I was dumbfounded when the vote went down

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Well it is either Quebec or LV

I still think Quebec is a way better option but LV would open up an expansion in both east and west

And with LV there's no conference tinkering

How would them moving to Vegas open up expansion in the east? The conferences would still be uneven :S

Syrinx

Yotes moving to LV would also mean that Auston Matthews and the other 15 Yotes fans could probably still follow them in Arizona.

Zac Boyer ‏@ZacBoyer 4m4 minutes ago Arlington, VA
Green: "I just want to play on a competitive team that wants to win ... and I feel Washington is one of those organizations."

Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt 4m4 minutes ago
Mike Green on re-signing: "At the end of the day, it's what they want to make their team as best as it possibly can be."

:(

uspw_4565918-1317231637.jpg

I'm going to go cry now.

Edit: Positive update!

Zac Boyer ‏@ZacBoyer 3m3 minutes ago
Green said he understands that after 10 years, he's made a lot of money playing hockey, and believes he'd be willing to sacrifice it to win.

Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt 5m5 minutes ago
Green: "I want to win the Cup. It's not about money."

zroid

Banned
I just wanted to take a moment to reflect on the last few months

Randy Carlyle, Dave Nonis, and David Clarkson are no longer with the Maple Leafs organization

Pop-Champagne-1.gif

Merguson

Banned
Darren Dreger has an exclusive interview with both Babcock and Holland coming up.

Bob McKenzie said Babcock won't be waiting until May 25th to make his decision.

It sure sounds like Babcock is staying in Detroit to me.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Darren Dreger has an exclusive interview with both Babcock and Holland coming up.

Bob McKenzie said Babcock won't be waiting until May 25th to make his decision.

It sure sounds like Babcock is staying in Detroit to me.

"THE BABCOCKENING", coming to you on HNIC

Marvie_3

Banned
Pretty much. It amazes how easily Glendale fell for it too.

Chivara is still there and still a piece of shit.

Wasn't that the guy that got his seat because he campaigned against the coyotes and then the initial reading he is basically acting like a lobbyist?

I was dumbfounded when the vote went down
Yep. He got paid off and sold out everyone that voted for him.

How would them moving to Vegas open up expansion in the east? The conferences would still be uneven :S
Not if Las Vegas moves its city to Quebec!

Top Bottom