• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

BY2K

Membero Americo
Well that can happen when you carry your team

xyZrUqP.gif

RevoDS

yyzjohn

Banned
Our dog ingested snail poison. Took him to an animal emergency clinic where they induced vomit etc etc. Few hundred bucks. Now we're at my parents and he's limping if we can even compel him to walk and we don't know if his muscles are failing or if he's just incredibly tired. Probably the latter but fuck... Brought the kennel into the bedroom. The gf is probably going to stare at him, paranoid, all night.

Self-parody

Sucks man, my sister would lose it if anything happened to her dog so I can empathize. Hope it all works out for you.

zroid

Banned
Czechs are looking pretty dangerous

Canada needs an insurance goal

Plus then Jagr can go ahead and score to make the crowd happy

My HS account only has 8 days left and I don't know if I want to renew given the fact that the people suing the MLB/NHL over blackout policies are actually finding success. Then again, no delay on HS.. but if blackouts are going to go next year that'd be a much easier way to watch shit on other devices.

calder

Laaaaame, the TV listings hadn't updated and I foolishly assumed Can/Cze would be the latter semifinal so I didn't pvr the first one. Ah well I guess I'll watch it tonight; at least US/Rus in half an hour should be great. Glad Canada will medal finally, but nice to see Pavs apparently play well. Now let's hope Hellebyuck has a good game too.

Cake Boss

Banned
Anyone else annoyed by the dipshit NCAA rule, basically the new Russian factor but for college prospects. The BJs are now gonna lose a decent prospect just because he wants to Schultz his career and go somewhere else, they spent their pick on him, wasted time scouting him, wasted money and time developing him and they don't get to even reap in any of the rewards for it, some other team does. Same shit with Kevin Hayes and the Rangers are reaping in the rewards from what Chicago has developed him into.

At least the russian factor is that the player never joins the league and stays home, not join a rival team and come back to bite you in the ass. Imagine if its a Hawks-Rangers finals and Hayes plays a pivotal role in that series.

Shit needs fixing.

Marvie_3

Banned
Anyone else annoyed by the dipshit NCAA rule, basically the new Russian factor but for college prospects. The BJs are now gonna lose a decent prospect just because he wants to Schultz his career and go somewhere else, they spent their pick on him, wasted time scouting him, wasted money and time developing him and they don't get to even reap in any of the rewards for it, some other team does. Same shit with Kevin Hayes and the Rangers are reaping in the rewards from what Chicago has developed him into.

At least the russian factor is that the player never joins the league and stays home, not join a rival team and come back to bite you in the ass. Imagine if its a Hawks-Rangers finals and Hayes plays a pivotal role in that series.

Shit needs fixing.
Yes it does. Terrible rule.

Yup, shit sucks. I don't know what happened with Hayes, but Schultz gave all indication he was signing but stopped short of actually signing. That's the part that irks Anaheim fans. If he was up front about it (privately), we could have salvaged a low pick and got something out of it. Or at least not waste our time trying to get an answer.

Shit needs fixing.

Obviously a terrible rule that really needs fixing, but minor nitpick. Columbus didn't do anything for Mike Reilly. He went to the University of Minnesota and developed there. He went through Minnesota's training, Minnesota's practices and facilities, and was developed by Minnesota. Not Columbus.

NCAA prospects can't even take money to go to training camps. They can't take money to travel or stay anywhere. They have to pay for everything themselves and because NHL training and development camps overlap with NCAA camps, NCAA prospects very rarely do anything with NHL teams until they actually leave school.

I have talked to several NCAA draft picks here at UND, and I've spoken to one at the U of M in Mankato. Outside of small phone meetings and the beginning and ending of their seasons, NCAA prospects have no correspondance with NHL teams. Outside of fitness or training suggestions - and that's all they are, just suggestions because no NCAA coach is going to change their regimens for one player - NCAA prospects by and large don't do anything until they leave the team.

All that said, the rule is incredibly dumb and really needs to be fixed. It's dumb.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Our dog ingested snail poison. Took him to an animal emergency clinic where they induced vomit etc etc. Few hundred bucks. Now we're at my parents and he's limping if we can even compel him to walk and we don't know if his muscles are failing or if he's just incredibly tired. Probably the latter but fuck... Brought the kennel into the bedroom. The gf is probably going to stare at him, paranoid, all night.

Self-parody

Shit, how's your dog doing today?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
CASSSSSEEEEEELS > MCSCRUB

Cassels with 4 assists to eliminate Eerie, held McDavid off the scoreboard again and went +3 vs McScrubs -3

delta25

Banned
all this talk about Babcock going to Toronto, I'm not sure what good he good do for that team. Their better off doing what Vancouver did and look outside the NHL for coaching.

Socreges

Banned
Sucks man, my sister would lose it if anything happened to her dog so I can empathize. Hope it all works out for you.
It actually occurred to me last night... 'if this dog dies, our relationship might be over'. No joke, for her it'd be like we lost our first born.

Shit, how's your dog doing today?
Better! Super tired and groggy but he's alive so who cares.

My mom was actually responsible for him almost dying. I kept my cool, she already felt terrible. But I woke up this morning to watch the semis with my dad and she put TSN on after I'd told her to just wait until we could start the recording. Sure enough they were talking about Canada advancing to the Final. I lost my shit haha. Nearly kill my dog? I'll keep my cool. Spoil the semi-final when I warn you not to? Don't ever talk to me again

CASSSSSEEEEEELS > MCSCRUB

Cassels with 4 assists to eliminate Eerie, held McDavid off the scoreboard again and went +3 vs McScrubs -3
:D

Again, he's 20. But still cool.

He'll be on Utica next year I guess?

Maybe not a good thing: http://www.theprovince.com/touch/story.html?id=11056231

Samyy

This is what the Leafs were doing before Dubas changed things, letting the kids "experience success" rather than put players in a position to be part of it. Its stupid, who cares if your farm team is in the finals but the prospects aren't playing?

The only reason I was excited about the Marlies making the playoffs was because it was mainly thanks to our prospects. It should be prospects playing over vets, doesn't matter whether you make the playoffs or not.

Cake Boss

Banned
Obviously a terrible rule that really needs fixing, but minor nitpick. Columbus didn't do anything for Mike Reilly. He went to the University of Minnesota and developed there. He went through Minnesota's training, Minnesota's practices and facilities, and was developed by Minnesota. Not Columbus.

NCAA prospects can't even take money to go to training camps. They can't take money to travel or stay anywhere. They have to pay for everything themselves and because NHL training and development camps overlap with NCAA camps, NCAA prospects very rarely do anything with NHL teams until they actually leave school.

I have talked to several NCAA draft picks here at UND, and I've spoken to one at the U of M in Mankato. Outside of small phone meetings and the beginning and ending of their seasons, NCAA prospects have no correspondance with NHL teams. Outside of fitness or training suggestions - and that's all they are, just suggestions because no NCAA coach is going to change their regimens for one player - NCAA prospects by and large don't do anything until they leave the team.

All that said, the rule is incredibly dumb and really needs to be fixed. It's dumb.

I am not sure how other franchises do it but the Snes hold development camps for their prospects that includes their NCAA prospects where they spend time with the snes pro coaches for a couple of weeks learning from the SNES skating coaches, conditioning, technical skills, nutrition etc, then play a couple of skrimmages that are often open to fans, that usually after the draft. and then they are invited to the prospect tourney in september and then training camp where more learning and development ensues. They then sent to their respective NCAA teams where the management keeps in touch with these kids and attend their games and make suggestions to their games, also have a line of communication with their coaches about their usages. Sure they are out of their hands but a lot of time goes into them for them just to pack up and leave whenever they want to.

Foggy

Yeah, I certainly don't blame him given the circumstance, but it still really stings considering the BJs are starved for NHL-ready defense right now. If he wants to turn his back on the team that drafted him, then fuck him, have fun in Minny or wherever he ends up. He's not gonna get any more money than he would in Columbus and he could have burned an entire year off his contract if had just played in one game for the BJs who would've played him no doubt. Instead, he gets to sign with a team that he wants to but has to wait two years for UFA instead of one year with the BJs and then jumped ship to whoever he wants to at a higher pay. Whatever. Draft Provorov or Werenski and trade some of our forwards for a decent D-man. It would've been nice, but them's the breaks.

Interesting. I know it's not Hockey News but still

It appears the owners of the Montreal Canadiens are at least feeling out the NBA in regards to a potential basketball tenant one day joining the hockey club in the city's Bell Centre.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver met with Canadiens vice president Kevin Gilmore in New York in January, according to Rejean Tremblay of Le Journal de Montreal (article in French). Silver reportedly told them that no team is currently available.

Beyond Seattle and perhaps even Las Vegas, there are not a ton of sizable U.S. markets left in search of an NBA franchise. Montreal is Canada's second-largest city and the ninth-largest in North America.

The Grizzlies moved from Vancouver to Memphis in 2001 due in part to a lack of corporate support, leaving Canada with only one NBA team, the Toronto Raptors.

Yawnier

Banned
all this talk about Babcock going to Toronto, I'm not sure what good he good do for that team. Their better off doing what Vancouver did and look outside the NHL for coaching.

Judging from what was just said in the second intermission of the Bolts-Rangers game Babcock is either going to Buffalo, Toronto, or Detroit.

So ya he is staying in Detroit. Also that Dreger interview with Babs and Holland that was shown last night is just weird.

Pikma

Banned

Self-parody

Poor boy :( hope he gets better asap

calder

Hellebyuck worn down, Russians cruising. But mostly this game I've been disappointed in how crappy the US has been, they've had some chances but they don't threaten on offense and have made several big mistakes. I guess it's mainly young/depth guys playing out of their comfort zone.

Canada vs Russia for gold? I guess that'll do. :)

delta25

Banned
Judging from what was just said in the second intermission of the Bolts-Rangers game Babcock is either going to Buffalo, Toronto, or Detroit.

So ya he is staying in Detroit. Also that Dreger interview with Babs and Holland that was shown last night is just weird.

I think he should stay in Detroit, its too late for him to try and help re-build a team. Especially Toronto with all that locker room drama and prima donna bullshit going on with kessel and Lupul. Talk about a team that needs to be be gutted right down to the prospects.

Top Bottom