• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
He has always said it wasn't about money.

If he takes the Leafs job, it was about money the whole time.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I don't understand the Leafs obsession with a hiring a coach before a GM tbh (unless Dubas is the new GM).

Don't GMs usually like to hire their own guy?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
This has the potential to look really stupid for the Leafs. They overpay for Babcock only to keep missing the playoffs. Millions well spent! I agree they should just go and get some unknown coach that Dubas and Hunter like.

The sad truth is... Babcock's best year he had Lidstrom. We keep going for coaches who had the best defensemen in the game.

Though I really do want a great coach with solid systems... Its probably best to find a coach who had his team overachieve

Samyy

This has the potential to look really stupid for the Leafs. They overpay for Babcock only to keep missing the playoffs. Millions well spent! I agree they should just go and get some unknown coach that Dubas and Hunter like.

Why?
No one excepts -> hire Babcock = playoffs.

Its all about them finding the best coach they think can help:
- Instill a sold structure for the team and younger players to learn.
- Have someone that works well with younger players to help them grow.

If they think Babcock is the best option for that, I have no problem with them spending whatever they want to spend. Who cares how much anyone pays whoever, when its not against the cap? MLSE has tons of money.

I would agree it being stupid if they gave out some big contracts this summer or something to a FA, that would be dumb, but why does giving money to Babcock matter?

I don't understand the Leafs obsession with a hiring a coach before a GM tbh (unless Dubas is the new GM).

Don't GMs usually like to hire their own guy?

Normally yes, but thats because a normal GM is judged on the performance of the coach and team, and TO's GM obviously won't be judged on the coaching or team performance. That would be reflective of the management team as a whole.

yyzjohn

Banned
Pro tip: as fun as it is to joke about Babcock's name, don't search twitter for #Cockwatch (not that there's anything wrong with that)

zroid

Banned
a Buffalo reporter was on TSN 1050 yesterday saying Babcock didn't feel comfortable with Toronto's muddled management hierarchy which is one of the reasons he wasn't going there

so maybe MLSE is trying to pay a ridiculous amount now to bring him over in spite of those concerns

oh god

I kind of hope the bidding war just gets crazily out of hand and someone ends up dropping like a $100 million bomb :lol

Samyy

I find it hilarious all these hockey people are so uncomfortable with a slightly different org chart.

I'm not sure what's so confusing about this:

Shanahan
- GM
- Dubas
- Hunter

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I find it hilarious all these hockey people are so uncomfortable with a slightly different org chart.

Shanahan
- GM
- Dubas
- Hunter

Maybe its the ownership... Bell/rogers/Tannenbaum don't always see eye to eye

a Buffalo reporter was on TSN 1050 yesterday saying Babcock didn't feel comfortable with Toronto's muddled management hierarchy which is one of the reasons he wasn't going there

so maybe MLSE is trying to pay a ridiculous amount now to bring him over in spite of those concerns

oh god

I kind of hope the bidding war just gets crazily out of hand and someone ends up dropping like a $100 million bomb :lol

To be Honest? I Think Toronto should be going after Hitchcock.

Fei

Shanahan
- GM
- Dubas
- Hunter

Have you ever reported to two bosses? It's a mess.

Foggy

Hugs

More Hugs

Capitan
jackets-notes-1-21-art-gt0qne7j-1cbj0428-kr-14.jpg

My Capitan

17011151256_22b6970536_o.gif

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Lmao at the Sens giving Hammond a 3 year 1 way contract. Ridiculous. Guess someone has to replace Robin "Franchise Goalie" Lehner.

dem

Who in their right mind would take a coaching job with the leafs right now? Especially over Buffalo.

The tire fire has barely started in Toronto. They havent hired a GM.. so the coach doesn't even know who he is working for. They haven't traded away Kessel, Phaneuf, etc.. so you have no idea what you will be working with. The Toronto media thinks its job is to create drama and get people fired/traded.

If Babcock goes there.. he is fucking insane.

Merguson

Banned
There is absolutely nothing new about the Toronto Maple Leafs organization structure.
More than half of the teams in the NHL have similar structures.

By President, I mean either in Hockey Operations or President of the team. The main thing is that the GM doesn't have the President in his title as well.

Ducks, Coyotes, Bruins, Sabres, Flames, Hurricanes, Blackhawks, Avalanche, Blue Jackets, Stars, Red Wings, Panthers, Devils (recent!), Flyers, Penguins, Lightning, Leafs, Canucks and Capitals fall under that.

The Oilers, Kings, Predators, Islanders, Rangers, Senators and Blues are the ones where President & GM are the same person.

The Wild don't really seem to have a clear definition of who is the President of the hockey club. Same with the Sharks and Jets.

The Habs have their owner listed as President of the Hockey club.

Of course, it's all about degrees of control. Flyers could have a traditional GM/President person but we all know Ed Snider is heavily involved.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Who in their right mind would take a coaching job with the leafs right now? Especially over Buffalo.

The tire fire has barely started in Toronto. They havent hired a GM.. so the coach doesn't even know who he is working for. They haven't traded away Kessel, Phaneuf, etc.. so you have no idea what you will be working with. The Toronto media thinks its job is to create drama and get people fired/traded.

If Babcock goes there.. he is fucking insane.

If the dumpster fire known as Edmonton can finally crawl out of the shitpile and hire some credible people why not Toronto?

dem

If the dumpster fire known as Edmonton can finally crawl out of the shitpile and hire some credible people why not Toronto?

Our dumpster fire has been burning a long time... It may even be burnt out in a few years.

Toronto? Yeah...

zroid

Banned
I'm so torn between wanting someone to hire Carlyle asap just to watch that hilarity unfold and not wanting him to ruin the Sharks. I like the Sharks! ;_;

Hertl :(

Lmao at the Sens giving Hammond a 3 year 1 way contract. Ridiculous. Guess someone has to replace Robin "Franchise Goalie" Lehner.

What's so wrong with it? You know he's had that nickname for a while in his college days because he'd steal games his team had no business winning right?

He's played for crappy teams(Bowling Green and our crappy AHL team). So his numbers aren't that very good.

Work with our goalie coach seems to have taken him to another level.

If they see something in him. Why not?

The best goalies seem to come out of nowhere.

Merguson

Banned
Mike Harrington
‏@BNHarrington
If Babcock is leveraging #Sabres and even DET to run off to Toronto, that would be pure scum at the highest level. Winning? Yeah, right.

Buffalo media preparing the mudslinging just in case.

zroid

Banned
Buffalo media preparing the mudslinging just in case.

LMAO dat salt

probably more like leveraging Toronto to eke out more money from Buffalo anyway

he always said he wants to try and get paid as much as possible to change the perceptions on what NHL coaches are paid.

http://www.danslescoulisses.com/fr/rumeur-tomas-plekanec-echange/

Je vais donc vous sortir TOUT ce que j’ai. Vous en ferez ce que vous voulez. Moi, je crois en ma source… Mais il faut toujours se méfier d’une seule source, dans un dossier.

Tomas Plekanec aurait annulé au moins un contrat le liant à une entreprise montréalaise. La raison de cette annulation : Je ne serai plus à Montréal très bientôt.

Selon ma source, Tomas Plekanec aurait été échangé déjà et le moment de l’annonce de cette transaction est inconnu pour le moment.

J’ai tenté de corroborer cette info avec une 2e source, mais le Canadien se fait très muet, les journalistes québécois sont souvent les derniers à apprendre ce genre de nouvelles… Et Plekanec est encore en Europe! #Mondiaux #RépubliqueTchèque

Mais bon… Ma source est claire, nette et précise : Plekanec a été échangé.

EVERYTHING IS HAPPENING

Top Bottom