• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Talk about overpayment... previous record was Quenneville with $2.75 million, Babcock smashes that with $6.5m.

Thing is though, the Leafs can easily afford it and he is the best coach in the league. Win win scenario, I hope it works out well for them. The Leafs are due for some success. Not saying he's a magic bullet, but he's a big piece of the puzzle.

zroid

Banned
What if Babcock wants to keep Phaneuf?

Iunno. I hear the he wanted him in DET speculation, but Leafs are in a different situation. Why would they want to keep a declining top 4 defenceman with limited tools who's making $7mil AAV into his mid 30s.

hell I'm not sure why anyone would want that contract, but I guess he can help a contending or near-contending team who wants a guy who can eat minutes on the back end and record points. For all his faults, Phaneuf does still put up points.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The most fascinating thing for us Wings fans is going to be seeing who actually was responsible for the old guys on the team. A lot of people were saying Babcock was a huge part of that.

Kifimbo

Thing is though, the Leafs can easily afford it and he is the best coach in the league.

Is he though ? It's kinda really hard to establish who's the best coach or GM. He's a good coach, not doubt about it. But Detroit made the playoffs for 20-25 consecutive years, with and without him. And the gold medals weren't won with Slovakia.

LOL

Well I guess you can go grab all my posts of "Babs won't go to Toronto" and rub it in my face.

The truth is though, at least the 3rd round pick we get should be a top 5 for that round, no matter which one they give us out of the next 3 years.

The era of Blash begins now!!!

Oh, and it was all about the money on this one, can't even sugar coat that.

On paper the Leafs should be a playoff-bubble team with top-end talent, depth, and youth. I don't expect Babcock to turn them into contenders overnight but with some smart moves they could be a good team in a few years.

dem

Good for the Leafs..

Absolutely can't believe he passed up Buffalo for the Leafs though.

Glad the Oilers grabbed McLellan before "the decision"

Quick

Banned
LOL

Well I guess you can go grab all my posts of "Babs won't go to Toronto" and rub it in my face.

The truth is though, at least the 3rd round pick we get should be a top 5 for that round, no matter which one they give us out of the next 3 years.

The era of Blash begins now!!!

Oh, and it was all about the money on this one, can't even sugar coat that.

On paper the Leafs should be a playoff-bubble team with top-end talent, depth, and youth. I don't expect Babcock to turn them into contenders overnight but with some smart moves they could be a good team in a few years.

I'm excited to see what Shanahan does next. He understands the plight of the team and the need to bring back some respect to the franchise. And he knows patience is key. That's what Burke was missing, and to some extent, Nonis. The playoff run hid the fact that the team still wasn't a contender, even to me.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Is he though ? It's kinda really hard to establish who's the best coach or GM. He's a good coach, not doubt about it. But Detroit made the playoffs for 20-25 consecutive years, with and without him. And the gold medals weren't won with Slovakia.

OK, well, even if he's not, he's without question in the top 5 or even top 3. For a rebuilding team like the Leafs that's priceless.

fallout

And a new one shall begin...
Y785254.png

eyeless

so is he also the gm what was up with that weird report

it's gonna be weird seeing babcock behind the leafs bench, i didn't expect him to come here even a little bit

I had a feeling Babcock was going to Toronto. Still, I didn't expect Babcock to get that kind of contract. Maybe now Toronto might actually get better.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Choosing to coach Bozak over Eichel is pretty funny. Helps when you sleep on a bed of money though.

So now that we can't make fun of leafs and oilers, who we make fun of?

The sharks?
Until the Leafs make the playoffs in a non shortened year, we will continue making fun of them.

dem

So... are the Leafs doing scorched earth or not?

Are they going to try and make hockey trades for Kessel and Phaneuf? Are they staying?

So confusing.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Good for the Leafs..

Absolutely can't believe he passed up Buffalo for the Leafs though.

Glad the Oilers grabbed McLellan before "the decision"

Same, the Sabres future looks brighter to me(no offense Leafs fans). After watching Eichel play in the WC, any coach should be as excited to coach that kid as they would be to coach McDavid.

Oh well, I hope the Cock's reputation pans out for Leafs fans sake, you guys deserve better than the shitshow last season.

So now that we can't make fun of leafs and oilers, who we make fun of?

The sharks?

Trust me, the Oilers and Leafs aren't going to stop being the butt of all jokes just yet. Both teams actually have start playing respectably for that to happen.

Thinking it will be the Canucks when they collapse.

zroid

Banned
Yknow if Babcock doesn't help the Leafs at all over the next couple years it could hurt his reputation as well. Especially since it's known he will have roster input. He's putting that ego on the line here.

Quick

Banned
Yknow if Babcock doesn't help the Leafs at all over the next couple years it could hurt his reputation as well. Especially since it's known he will have roster input. He's putting that ego on the line here.

Exactly.

Money is the big motivator, but he's probably aware of the implications this job might have on his career. On that same note, he could take the money and just retire after. lol

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly.

Money is the big motivator, but he's probably aware of the implications this job might have on his career. On that same note, he could take the money and just retire after. lol

Maybe he wants a challenge!

I really, really hope this works out for the Leafs.

Merguson

Banned
Shawn Stepner @StepnerWKBW · 31m 31 minutes ago
League source tells me #Sabres thought they had deal in principle w/ Babcock 2 days ago around same term/dollars as Leafs. Maybe even 9 yrs.

lolololol sabres

Top Bottom