• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

zroid

Banned
I wonder how many other moves the Leafs will need before respectability and to reduce the haters.

not that I expect it to happen in my lifetime or ever, but who knows maybe the Leafs can actually be the Yankees of hockey... instead of the Cowboys

(ie there'll always be haters)

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
@RicklyFoley said:
Dick move announcing Babcock news the day #Argos r finally sold. Guess some people still jealous we the only team who wins in this city @CFL

YX6ZTJ2.gif

Most Leafs fans never thought he was coming. What respected coach would want to come into this mess? I'm in shock.

How's the Leafs' farm system, btw? Mostly curious as I know nothing about it, so I don't know if they have any up-and-coming prospects that could make them attractive, or if they're going to lean on free agency a hell of a lot ... well, try to again, anyways.

Socreges

Banned
Most Leafs fans never thought he was coming. What respected coach would want to come into this mess? I'm in shock.
Shanahan: We'd like to make you the best paid coach in NHL history.
Babcock: Still no.
Shanahan: Carte blanche with the roster.
Babcock: Still no.
Shanahan: $50 million.
Babcock: Where do I sign? Someone hand me a pen.

yyzjohn

Banned
How's the Leafs' farm system, btw? Mostly curious as I know nothing about it, so I don't know if they have any up-and-coming prospects that could make them attractive, or if they're going to lean on free agency a hell of a lot ... well, try to again, anyways.

Slim pickings in terms of high end talent. Nylander was our top pick last year who has some promise. Then there's other guys that are longshots but have performed in either junior or ahl. Guys like Connor Brown, Stuart Percy, Matt Finn..no huge names at all.

Red_Man

Will Babcock have final roster decisions as well? If so, that will be interesting considering how he handled some Wings players, and since he's coming from Detroit where guys spend 10 years in the AHL.

Merguson

Banned
I'll be interested if roster control wasn't the deal breaker on Buffalo's end. I want Babcock the coach, not the GM. If it's just choosing Toronto over Buffalo straightup, that'd be harder to swallow.

It looks like it could be exactly that.

Dreger said on radio that, to the best of his knowledge, Babcock did not get any sort of managerial position.

I suspect we'll know for sure by the end of the press conference tomorrow.

Samyy

Will Babcock have final roster decisions as well? If so, that will be interesting considering how he handled some Wings players, and since he's coming from Detroit where guys spend 10 years in the AHL.

I would think not, Dubas and Shanny have been preaching not bringing up guys until they are ready to be full-time contributors.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I imagine he'll have a say from his input to the management group. I still hope and believe management group will make the final decision. I get the feeling Babs will bring something to the table as they will convince him otherwise or agree. It won't be a one man show and if this team crashes and burns then we'd have to oust them all.

Merguson

Banned
Tim Graham ‏@ByTimGraham 5m5 minutes ago
Sabres livid for way Babcock handled past few days. Sabres so confident he was coming that they were prepared for Monday news conference.

Sabres so salty

Samyy

Dreger said Babcock is fully aware that the Leafs probably won't sniff the playoffs for at least 4 years and he was on board with the rebuild.

Fei

Tim Murray just needs to learn how to take the L and move on. The master plan moves on without Babcock. Big picture, everything is still pretty great.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Well, Babcock is used to coaching Team Canada, he's now coaching Canada's team.

<bring the hate> ;)
OooooOooooOoh this is Canada's team???
Dredger said Babcock is fully aware that the Leafs probably won't sniff the playoffs for at least 4 years and he was on board with the rebuild.
He'd better get a system in place, accountability, and to help develop young players too.

I hope this doesn't blow up in our face...

And someone else asked about his family's feelings on the matter; apparently, they have home here I read. Also, Toronto isn't far from Detroit...

Red_Man

Dredger said Babcock is fully aware that the Leafs probably won't sniff the playoffs for at least 4 years and he was on board with the rebuild.
If he's fine with a rebuild why go with Toronto over Buffalo? Was Toronto really offering that much more money, I was under the assumption that Buffalo made a similar offer. Must have really been the Hunter / Shanahan connection that swayed him.

zedge

I'll have you know that my dad was a season seat holder for the Argos for years. And went to a couple of Grey Cups.

My bother watches the CFL (and the Grey Cup) but not the NFL.

I get that people don't like the CFL but its good for what it is and its been growing alot recently. Many teams are in or building new stadiums. *cough except Calgary *cough (McMahon sucks). If Toronto could get its act together it would be for the best. Its the western teams keeping the league alive with good attendance. ;)

Hate to say this to a fellow Habs fan, but you go away...to many cats up in here.

#loveCFL

As long as TO ignores the Argos I hope the Raptors and Leafs rot.

Heh.

yyzjohn

Banned
If he's fine with a rebuild why go with Toronto over Buffalo? Was Toronto really offering that much more money, I was under the assumption that Buffalo made a similar offer. Must have really been the Hunter / Shanahan connection that swayed him.

Have you been to Buffalo?

Samyy

And, well he already has a cup, gold medal and all that stuff, but if he wins in Toronto....

CFL games get higher viewership than most NBA games. :p
Wait What?

I'll have you know that my dad was a season seat holder for the Argos for years. And went to a couple of Grey Cups.

My bother watches the CFL (and the Grey Cup) but not the NFL.
Oh okay fine I guess there are some fans. But I don't here a lot of people talk about the CFL. As much as the NFL.
Hate to say this to a fellow Habs fan, but you go away...to many cats up in here.

#loveCFL

As long as TO ignores the Argos I hope the Raptors and Leafs rot.

I thought we were bros though :(

Foggy

I'm guessing it's some mix of family consideration, more power, and a massive ego seeing himself as the savior of Toronto. Little else makes a modicum of sense.

Top Bottom