• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
According to Ken Campbell from THN, Blashill as the next Wings coach is close to 100% and they're not even gonna bother with the process of searching for a coach.

Buffalo just can't win, though I think their future is way brighter than the Leafs with or without Babs.

According to Ken Campbell from THN, Blashill as the next Wings coach is close to 100% and they're not even gonna bother with the process of searching for a coach.

Yeah, it is pretty much been known if Babs was leaving that Blash would take over, guy is ready for the NHL.

yyzjohn

Banned
I'm sure he meant as far as hockey is concerned, but "Buffalo is a wasteland" jokes never are out of style I suppose.

Tongue in cheek joke, real talk is Sabres roster is way ahead of Leafs and I'm surprised Babcock didn't choose them. Like I said before Leafs fans always expected him to pick a team with more hope than us. With money reportedly being equal it's surprising he'd pick Toronto.

CFeQXUAW8AAnMhI.jpg

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
It's odd to still realize he's our coach now.

We really do have strong coaching and management now and seem to be doing what we should have been doing for the longest time now: flexing financial muscle to get coveted pieces.

With the cap, it's true we need management of it and I don't think there is a better person than Pridham for that.
With the analytics movement, we have Dubas driving the train as well as a partnership with SAS and some prominent bloggers too.
With coaching, we have a Stanley Cup winning and two time gold medal winning coach with Babcock.
With scouting, we have Hunter who built a well respected Knights team and is well known for having an eye on talent.
With development, we have Belfry who has helped top flight talent reach new heights.
With general management, we have Shanahan who seems to be good with owners and hasn't made any rash or quick decisions yet. He's focused on collaboration, has a vision for the team, and can smooth over corporate as well.

We just need to make a big splash in this draft to get as many picks as possible, even if it means taking garbage deals to get them. Let our scouting staff so their job and be patient with the picks as everyone is saying its a deep draft. We may have some respectability in 3-4 years of everything goes according to plan.

dem

It's odd to still realize he's our coach now.

We really do have strong coaching and management now and seem to be doing what we should have been doing for the longest time now: flexing financial muscle to get coveted pieces.

With the cap, it's true we need management of it and I don't think there is a better person than Pridham for that.
With the analytics movement, we have Dubas driving the train as well as a partnership with SAS and some prominent bloggers too.
With coaching, we have a Stanley Cup winning and two time gold medal winning coach with Babcock.
With scouting, we have Hunter who built a well respected Knights team and is well known for having an eye on talent.
With development, we have Belfry who has helped top flight talent reach new heights.
With general management, we have Shanahan who seems to be good with owners and hasn't made any rash or quick decisions yet. He's focused on collaboration, has a vision for the team, and can smooth over corporate as well.

We just need to make a big splash in this draft to get as many picks as possible, even if it means taking garbage deals to get them. Let our scouting staff so their job and be patient with the picks as everyone is saying its a deep draft. We may have some respectability in 3-4 years of everything goes according to plan.

Scouting staff? What scouting staff?

zedge

Wait What?

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/the-great-canadian-ratings-report--whatever-170600049.html

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/the-great-canadian-ratings-report--whatever-202327416.html

NBA games way down there.. :p Not even half the numbers in most cases. This is Canada only though. CFL games are shown in the US on ESPN2 also.

Another tidbit. CFL is number 7 of top 10 sports leagues in the world for average attendance.

http://www.therichest.com/sports/to...est-average-per-game-attendance-in-the-world/

Fei

Have you been to Buffalo?

Even the better Leafs-GAF can't escape being Toronto Smug lol.

Getting Eichel and Bylsma (for example) isn't dumb/bad/uncromulent - the way the GM is handling these things is however.

Exactly. Bad look after losing the lottery, and bad look now. If Babcock didn't negotiate in good faith, let that come out on its own. Don't look like a sore loser all the time.

Even the better Leafs-GAF can't escape being Toronto Smug lol.

Exactly. Bad look after losing the lottery, and bad look now. If Babcock didn't negotiate in good faith, let that come out on its own. Don't look like a sore loser all the time.

Doesn't seem like it was in good faith with ppl tweeting saying league sources say sabres thought they had a deal 2 days ago. Would like to see more info on this leak out.

Just want Sabres to find a coach and get him in Place.

Doesn't seem like it was in good faith with ppl tweeting saying league sources say sabres thought they had a deal 2 days ago. Would like to see more info on this leak out.

Just want Sabres to find a coach and get him in Place.

Thinking you have a deal and that falling through is not in any way the same as "bargaining in bad faith". I'm not even sure that term could apply to this situation.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Scouting staff? What scouting staff?
They didn't fire everyone; we still have European staff and it's not as if Hunter didn't get scouting reports on players in the CHL too. We also got hired someone else recently too...I think we'll be fine.
Would the rebuilding shitty seasons with the Laffs hurt Cocks chances at coaching in the next Olympics?
Not sure why it would...though didn't he say that was the last for him? Maybe I'm thinking of Yzerman saying he wasn't coming back?

Curufinwe

Hextall on Lecavalier: "Hasn't worked for Vinny, hasn't worked for us. At this point ... a new coach probably hasn't changed anything."

“I think I’ve finally established myself as an NHLer. I feel like I’ve finally figured this league out, and now that I’m done getting my feet wet, it’s time for me to show what I can really do,” - Beaulieu

:D

Go Natedog Go!

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
You think Babcock will get the Carlyle treatment by the media in Toronto, or will he have more expectations placed on him?

zroid

Banned
You think Babcock will get the Carlyle treatment by the media in Toronto, or will he have more expectations placed on him?

I'm not really sure what to expect... Leafs haven't had an actually, legitimately good and well-respected coach since Quinn, and they weren't dogshit in those days so the media was different. Plus social media changed the way media works a lot. This is going to be pretty strange.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

To start they'll lay off him. After the first or second season of no playoffs they'll start returning to what they're good at...mud slinging.

Right now they'll focus on saying Kessel and whatever other player aren't Babcock guys.

To start they'll lay off him. After the first or second season of no playoffs they'll start returning to what they're good at...mud slinging.

Right now they'll focus on saying Kessel and whatever other player aren't Babcock guys.

If Babcock can't fix Kessel, nobody can!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

I'm not convinced that will happen. Remember the backing that Carlyle got? Babcock had a much better resume, so I assume they'll double down on the lazy, overpaid, "uncoachable" players. We had arguably the best coach available and the media start ripping on him? They'd look dumb...wonder what Cherry is gonna say...

Socreges

Banned
I'm not really sure what to expect... Leafs haven't had an actually, legitimately good and well-respected coach since Quinn, and they weren't dogshit in those days so the media was different. Plus social media changed the way media works a lot. This is going to be pretty strange.
Wilson and Carlyle were respected before they joined the Leafs. Hell, so was Maurice. All coaches were hired with high expectations.

Not comparing them to Babcock, just disputing your version of history :p

Wilson and Carlyle were respected before they joined the Leafs. Hell, so was Maurice. All coaches were hired with high expectations.

Wilson and Maurice yes, but I'm pretty sure people were saying Carlyle was bad before he left the ducks.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'm not convinced that will happen. Remember the backing that Carlyle got? Babcock had a much better resume, so I assume they'll double down on the lazy, overpaid, "uncoachable" players. We had arguably the best coach available and the media start ripping on him? They'd look dumb...wonder what Cherry is gonna say...

"2 years later still no playoffs, Mike Babcock isn't as good as he thinks he is"

"He was supposed to take this team to the next level"

I could go on.

eyeless

Babcock has no out clause and his title is Head Coach. No managerial position.

He's here for the long haul.
so that "he can leave after five" thing isn't true?

man i hope he's satisfied with being shitty for a couple years rebuilding and hopefully being competitive on the back half of the contract, i still want a rebuild, pls don't make us a bubble team leafcock

zroid

Banned

Oh I know, but I'm just referring to guys like Babcock, McLellan, Hitchcock, Vigneault, etc.

people with track records who are actually good, not coaches who lucked into a Cup a la Carlyle and was undeservedly respected.

Top Bottom