• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Toronto is still going to suck.

Holland press conference pretty much confirmed the Blash era in Detroit is about to begin! Get pumped!

Holland said they had two or three guys on their list, though.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
so that "he can leave after five" thing isn't true?

man i hope he's satisfied with being shitty for a couple years rebuilding and hopefully being competitive on the back half of the contract, i still want a rebuild, pls don't make us a bubble team leafcock
I think one part (besides the obvious pay day) is that he's interested in what Shanny and Dubas are building here.

Despite the team being utter shit, management made all the right moves with the one questionable one being to leave Carlyle to start; questionable as they may have banking on Babs from the start. Shanahan said no quick moves until he's comfortable and has enough info to make decisions and here we are.

I really hope we've rooted out the complacency, minimized the incompetence, and stopped the interference from ownership with the moves this year.

zroid

Banned
I feel like Babs HAD to know what the deal is here. Shanny shouldn't have hired him unless he was fully on board. My hope is it was communicated what the Shanaplan is exactly and Babcock signed on with it because he thought it was solid and liked what the Leafs are doing here.

It didn't seem like MLSE was offering much more than Pegula (if at all) so there had to be something else which swayed him.... and it's obviously not the roster :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
Holland said they had two or three guys on their list, though.

There can be only one.

ingys7jInU3tQ.gif

Socreges

Banned
Oh I know, but I'm just referring to guys like Babcock, McLellan, Hitchcock, Vigneault, etc.

people with track records who are actually good, not coaches who lucked into a Cup a la Carlyle and was undeservedly respected.
Eh. Again, I think you're throwing those coaches under the bus because they had a stint in the shithole that has been Toronto.

I hope Babs is prepared to be thick skinned next year when Toronto is still a basement team and Blash mighy light a fire under all the young guys in Detroit leading to another legitimate run at the Cup.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
From reddit:

"Not even kidding, just called my dad all excited that the Leafs signed Babcock. This was our conversation.
Me: "Dad! The Leafs signed Babcock! 8 yrs, $50 million!"
Dad: "Is he a centre?"
Me: "No Dad, he's a coach"
Dad: "Well that's stupid.""

:lol

From reddit:

"Not even kidding, just called my dad all excited that the Leafs signed Babcock. This was our conversation.

Lol. My dad actually called me when he heard the news

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
From reddit:

Eh. I'll say it again. Baby steps. There isn't one panacea for the cancer affecting our team. Jesus. Even Leaf fans can't take some good news sometimes... :(

Eh. Again, I think you're throwing those coaches under the bus because they had a stint in the shithole that has been Toronto.

Maurice, Wilson and Carlyle were all coaches who had been fired from their previous teams.

Babcock is the first NHL coach the Leafs have hired who actually left a team on his own terms to join them since... Burns?

I have a feeling he'll be as successful as Carlyle. A playoff appearance.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Oilers-Comets at 4pm, Rangers-Lightning at 5... do I wanna see our prospects or do I wanna see MSL retire... mhmm...

yyzjohn

Banned
Eh. I'll say it again. Baby steps. There isn't one panacea for the cancer affecting our team. Jesus. Even Leaf fans can't take some good news sometimes... :(

Leafs haters want it both ways. Had Babcock signed with Sabres or Wings it would be "ha ha, Leafs fans you REALLY thought he'd go to your loser team??"

Babcock signs with Leafs "ha ha, Leafs fans you stink and nothing Babcock can do about it"

Leafs went out and got a really good coach, nothing wrong with the move at all. They still have to overhaul the team, but as long as Babcock is in place for the full 8 years, we may finally see this team improve if they get the right players in town.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Leafs haters want it both ways. Had Babcock signed with Sabres or Wings it would be "ha ha, Leafs fans you REALLY thought he'd go to your loser team??"

Babcock signs with Leafs "ha ha, Leafs fans you stink and nothing Babcock can do about it"

Leafs went out and got a really good coach, nothing wrong with the move at all. They still have to overhaul the team, but as long as Babcock is in place for the full 8 years, we may finally see this team improve if they get the right players in town.

Pretty much.

Hah, nice avatar change.

At the end, good news is good news. Hockey isn't something where one player or even coach can change the directions of a franchise overnight. Crosby is a franchise player, but had Malkin, Staal, Fleury and others not been around, he wouldn't have had a Cup. It's refreshing to see us get good news consecutively and I hope it keeps going.

yyzjohn

Banned
Pretty much.

Hah, nice avatar change.

At the end, good news is good news. Hockey isn't something where one player or even coach can change the directions of a franchise overnight. Crosby is a franchise player, but had Malkin, Staal, Fleury and others not been around, he wouldn't have had a Cup. It's refreshing to see us get good news consecutively and I hope it keeps going.

Exactly. Leafs need to finally stick to a plan. If the Shanaplan is really and truly here for the long haul, then this is a great move. Leafs rebuild the system from drafting to development, Babcock brings along the young players and maybe in 4-5 years they have something going forward. It'll be a painful process but it needs to be done right.

And meanwhile the Canucks continue their slow inexorable fall into mediocrity. It wouldn't surprise me to see them as the worst Canadian team in a few years.

The Jets, Flames, and Senators are young teams trending upwards
The Habs' best players are in their prime
The Oilers and Leafs are on the rebuilding path with top draft picks to look forward to

RC

Banned
And meanwhile the Canucks continue their slow inexorable fall into mediocrity. It wouldn't surprise me to see them as the worst Canadian team in a few years.

The Oilers and Leafs are on the rebuilding path with top draft picks to look forward to

But we have... aging stars who's best years are clearly behind them? It's going to be a rough decade.

Cake Boss

Banned

Yes but Bo

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

They arguably had the best draft last year. I wouldn't count them out yet. Though, I definitely don't see them in the Western elite very soon. If Edmonton can finally get its shit together and finish their oil change, they should easily be able to get in and take over.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Man, the Canadian(Toronto) media is milking and hyping the Babcock hiring as much as they can.

At this rate, anything less than a perfect 82-0 season and a Stanley Cup win would be a disappointment.

Samyy

Man, the Canadian(Toronto) media is milking and hyping the Babcock hiring as much as they can.

At this rate, anything less than a perfect 82-0 season and a Stanley Cup win would be a disappointment.

Not really, they've said Babcock is here for 8 years because they expect to be really bad for the next 3-4 years.
Of course if you're reading garbage like Kelly or Simmons or whoever, not sure what they are saying.

yyzjohn

Banned

You really haven't listened to what they're saying in the media have you?

The big issue with the Canucks is the Sedin succession plan. There isn't one. Their prospect pool is looking better than it's ever been, but outside of Virtanen I'd say none of them have the potential to be elite top-line players. Horvat is a pleasant surprise but he's only played one season.

I'm glad the Torts experiment was shuttered rather quickly and Gillis did give us 2011 but it looks like we'll be paying the price for mediocre drafting, questionable trades, and bloated contracts for a couple more years at least. Linden, Benning, and Desjardins do seem to be smart, savvy people so they can probably ice a competitive lineup going forward, but even the "Detroit model" has only won one Cup in the salary cap era.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Not really, they've said Babcock is here for 8 years because they expect to be really bad for the next 3-4 years.
Of course if you're reading garbage like Kelly or Simmons or whoever, not sure what they are saying.

You really haven't listened to what they're saying in the media have you?

Watching That's Hockey on TSN, they spent half the show talking about Babcock, going through pretty much his entire coaching history and playing past sound clips of how the "AHL" Leafs are playing Babcock's "NHL" red wings.

Montresor

Choosing to coach Bozak over Eichel is pretty funny. Helps when you sleep on a bed of money though.

Until the Leafs make the playoffs in a non shortened year, we will continue making fun of them.

Red_Man in 2025: "I cant make fun of the Leafs anymore. =("

yyzjohn

Banned
Watching That's Hockey on TSN, they spent half the show talking about Babcock, going through pretty much his entire coaching history and playing past sound clips of how the "AHL" Leafs are playing Babcock's "NHL" red wings.

And that translates into " anything less than a perfect 82-0 season and a Stanley Cup win would be a disappointment"? OK.

Top Bottom