• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

ShaneB

Man, the Canadian(Toronto) media is milking and hyping the Babcock hiring as much as they can.

At this rate, anything less than a perfect 82-0 season and a Stanley Cup win would be a disappointment.

Nothing new. Plenty of times when new talent has been injected into the Leafs, that person or persons has been deemed 'THE SAVIOUR!"

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
And that translates into " anything less than a perfect 82-0 season and a Stanley Cup win would be a disappointment"? OK.

I said "at this rate"

Jesus Christ, it's like hyperbole is a crime nowadays

Nothing new. Plenty of times when new talent has been injected into the Leafs, that person or persons has been deemed 'THE SAVIOUR!"

Seriously. I have nothing against the Leafs signing Babcock, but with how much of a gong show the Toronto media turns every single move the Leafs make, it's really no surprise that they haven't won since 67, they put tremendous pressure on the Leafs personnel for absolutely no good reason.

Socreges

Banned
Leafs haters want it both ways. Had Babcock signed with Sabres or Wings it would be "ha ha, Leafs fans you REALLY thought he'd go to your loser team??"

Babcock signs with Leafs "ha ha, Leafs fans you stink and nothing Babcock can do about it"
.... but that dad was a Leafs fan...

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
On paper the Leafs should be a playoff-bubble team with top-end talent, depth, and youth. I don't expect Babcock to turn them into contenders overnight but with some smart moves they could be a good team in a few years.

Don't forget the leafs have nylander, brown and the 4th OA coming into the NHL next year or the year after

Leafs can accomplish things with the assets they have... the big question is if they want to?

Personally, I think trading Kessel would be a mistake (just judged by his current perceived value). If we draft Hanifin... trading either of phaneuf or kessel would be a mistake.

Why? Because we're going to have pretty large offensive and defensive depth at that point with a coach that preaches accountability. Important when the team can do that with a smaller impact to the overall team.

I just don't want the Leafs to give up on this team when they still have very very good pieces... despite the fact they're inconsistent as fuck.

yyzjohn

Banned
I said "at this rate"

Jesus Christ, it's like hyperbole is a crime nowadays

Seriously. I have nothing against the Leafs signing Babcock, but with how much of a gong show the Toronto media turns every single move the Leafs make, it's really no surprise that they haven't won since 67, they put tremendous pressure on the Leafs personnel for absolutely no good reason.

Except in this instance there's no media outlet in Toronto claiming that Babcock is a savior. Quite the opposite, almost universally it's being said it's a great move hiring Babcock but the Leafs are still years away from being any good and it'll be a painful process. You'll always get the typical "Joe from the 'bridge" type fan who thinks the Leafs can win the Cup every year, but that goes for any fanbase. I think the Toronto media has been fairly realistic with this hiring.

I don't see how this has become a "gong show", it's huge news and is being reported accordingly. Any market that signed him would have had their local radio, tv and newsprint running story after story about him as well.

GSG Flash

I don't see how this has become a "gong show", it's huge news and is being reported accordingly. Any market that signed him would have had their local radio, tv and newsprint running story after story about him as well.

Except this is all being broadcast nationally. I'm sure no one in Vancouver really cares about watching Babcock's every last breath being described vividly for 15 minutes on TSN.

Hell, we don't even have to go as far as Vancouver, Ottawa and Montreal fans don't care to hear TSN swoon on about Babcock for 15 minutes either(and they were swooning, the whole 15 minutes was spent listing out each one of his accomplishments from junior to the NHL to the olympics).

Yawnier

Banned
Except in this instance there's no media outlet in Toronto claiming that Babcock is a savior. Quite the opposite, almost universally it's being said it's a great move hiring Babcock but the Leafs are still years away from being any good and it'll be a painful process. You'll always get the typical "Joe from the 'bridge" type fan who thinks the Leafs can win the Cup every year, but that goes for any fanbase. I think the Toronto media has been fairly realistic with this hiring.

Are you talking about Joe from Burlington? The guy who thinks that McDavid should be traded for 5 or 6 average players and grinders, cause you still need players to fill your roster for next season.

zroid

Banned
They don't both play C. They had five D in the playoffs. Clearly they mismanaged the cap, and of the players making big money on that team I think Malkin is the only one you'd get a decent return for.

meh I think the Pens have some issues, mostly related to some stupid roster moves they've made along with less than stellar drafting and some bad injury luck.

Malkin and Crosby both being paid a lot isn't the problem.

yyzjohn

Banned
Are you talking about Joe from Burlington? The guy who thinks that McDavid should be traded for 5 or 6 average players and grinders, cause you still need players to fill your roster for next season.

That's funny. I wasn't talking about anyone in particular but the running joke on Leafs lunch about homer, delusional Leafs fans in Woodbridge.

It's true.

...slowly getting that way for Canucks fans, too.

If I'm being fair, I've defended this group of players in the past. I probably had that coming.

I'll be gentle when your time comes, Soc.

meh I think the Pens have some issues, mostly related to some stupid roster moves they've made along with less than stellar drafting and some bad injury luck.

I guess you can never say what would have been, but right now it sure looks like an albatross on them.

Sorry mobile users, couldn't resist.

Quick

Banned
I just ordered The Witcher 3. Just gotta wait a week for it, but hopefully I'm not garbage at it like I was with Witcher 2.

yyzjohn

Banned
Except this is all being broadcast nationally. I'm sure no one in Vancouver really cares about watching Babcock's every last breath being described vividly for 15 minutes on TSN.

Hell, we don't even have to go as far as Vancouver, Ottawa and Montreal fans don't care to hear TSN swoon on about Babcock for 15 minutes either(and they were swooning, the whole 15 minutes was spent listing out each one of his accomplishments from junior to the NHL to the olympics).

Do you honestly believe if Babcock had signed in Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa or any other Canadian team outside of Toronto it wouldn't have made national broadcasts?

Socreges

Banned
Do you honestly believe if Babcock had signed in Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa or any other Canadian team outside of Toronto it wouldn't have made national broadcasts?
He's not saying that it shouldn't be broadcast nationally, but pointing out that the media furor is being broadcast to markets that don't give half a shit.

lupinko

I was so happy to wake up this morning with TSN app update on my iPhone and iPad that we got babs.

Bring on Stamkos2016: Shanahan vs Yzerman!

Chicago will be in trouble soon with Kane and Toews' salaries. They'll probably have to dump Bickell or Sharp, and their defensive depth took a hit when Leddy was traded (and despite what Marvie says, they do seem to be missing Roszival right now). Crawford is very good, but $6M is a lot of money to spend on a goalie.

Penguins had some bad injuries but they should try to offload Dupuis (36) and Kunitz (35) soon. They have some good young defencemen (Maata and Pouliot) so if they stay healthy I don't see many problems there. Fleury is a $5.75M cap hit but he's not the problem and a younger cheaper alternative won't help. Trading Neal I think was an underrated move.

Chicago will be in trouble soon with Kane and Toews' salaries. They'll probably have to dump Bickell or Sharp, and their defensive depth took a hit when Leddy was traded (and despite what Marvie says, they do seem to be missing Roszival right now). Crawford is very good, but $6M is a lot of money to spend on a goalie.

Penguins had some bad injuries but they should try to offload Dupuis (36) and Kunitz (35) soon. They have some good young defencemen (Maata and Pouliot) so if they stay healthy I don't see many problems there. Fleury is a $5.75M cap hit but he's not the problem and a younger cheaper alternative won't help. Trading Neal I think was an underrated move.

Pittsburgh needs talented wingers badly.

Only guys they've drafted of notoriety up front are Malkin, Crosby and Bennett.

zroid

Banned

shame TvR got hurt, he looked really promising early in the year

would be a BIG help right now

Syrinx

The bad drafting and roster moves aren't about to stop, either!

Yawnier

Banned
Pittsburgh needs talented wingers badly.

Only guys they've drafted of notoriety up front are Malkin, Crosby and Bennett.

I wonder if Rutherford (probably not I guess...) will trade one or more of their B-level defensive prospects for help on the wing, either for another B-level prospect but who is a winger instead or for an established NHL winger or two. Pens lack a lot of picks for the next draft that could be used for depth on the wing.

GSG Flash

I don't have a problem with it making national broadcasts, I have a problem with them spending 50%+ of the show sucking his dick and subjecting all non-Leafs fans to it.

They didn't even discuss anything of substance, like how they think he'll use certain players or what kind of immediate impact he'll make on the team. That 15 minutes was literally spent discussing how fucking awesome the Cock is.

Lol, how did that happen?

Not exactly sure. Re-signed my guys to decent contracts, traded away a few cap dumps, and made some moves.

But the salary cap never goes up. And sometimes I swear it goes down.

Right now I'm ~3 million over the cap and trading a 3m dollar player for an AHLer reduces my cap hit by 1 million. The math doesn't add up or I'm an idiot. Probably the latter. Even so it ticks me off. I put Vanek, Koivu, Pominville all on the trade block and never get offers. Ridiculous.

I'll have to start over and see how it goes. I assembled quite a group of prospects and was hoping to see how they'd go. Colin White, Jeremy Bracco, Jordan Greenway, Radek Faksa, and a handful of others I can't think of.

McDavid, btw, only scores 23 points in 73 games his rookie season according to EHM. BUST

yyzjohn

Banned
YOU had specified local, dude. Go back in the conversation - you've lost the plot.

Removing myself from this now

You're the one that's confused. I mentioned local, he said it was national and I replied that it would be national news regardless of where Babcock signed. You've actually lost the plot not me.

GSG Flash

You're the one that's confused. I mentioned local, he said it was national and I replied that it would be national news regardless of where Babcock signed. You've actually lost the plot not me.

The hiring being national news was never my point. Straight from the start I mentioned the hyping and milking of the hiring, THAT being national news is what I'm slamming the media for.

Top Bottom