• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Fei

Ted Nolan firing maybe?

I think it was pretty well known by all parties involved what was going to happen. You haven't heard anything negative come from Nolan at all, and that guy is not afraid to share his opinion. Nolan was brought in to take them to the bottom without the fans revolting because they still love him. Sabres got Eichel, and Nolan got some millions. I don't think there were any hard feelings.

If I'm wrong on that, it's definitely the shadiest move the team has made. He was certainly setup to fail.

Sure thing Babcock.

Hooooooly shit. So why not stay in Detroit?

zroid

Banned
He has literally been on record saying he's going to try and get paid to change the perceptions of what coaches make in the NHL

so yes it was about money

I think it was pretty well known by all parties involved what was going to happen. You haven't heard anything negative come from Nolan at all, and that guy is not afraid to share his opinion.

Or he's more professional than the GM and would like to get another coaching job.

Fei

It's surreal Toronto fans complaining about Buffalo media. I thought you were supposed to have thicker skin.

He has literally been on record saying he's going to try and get paid to change the perceptions of what coaches make in the NHL

so yes it was about money

Exactly. It was going to be about the money no matter where he ended up.

You clearly aren't too familiar withTed Nolan's past, are you?

Oh, and again, where were all those Buffalo fans complaining about Toronto media?

Sure buddy. You know exactly what he's thinking.

And I was making a general statement, not a specific claim. I don't feel at all compelled to provide a list for you, and that's beside the point. The point was that those were super shitty questions, but if deflecting is making you feel better about missing Babs and McDavid then I guess go right on ahead.

Fei

Sure buddy. You know exactly what he's thinking.

And I was making a general statement, not a specific claim. I don't feel at all compelled to provide a list for you, and that's beside the point. The point was that those were super shitty questions, but if deflecting is making you feel better about missing Babs and McDavid then I guess go right on ahead.

So you don't know anything about Nolan. And you are basically confirming your straw man. Thanks.

So you don't know anything about Nolan. And you are basically confirming your straw man. Thanks.

So much salt. Are you grinding your teeth?

It's also funny you brought up a straw man. I said Sabres fans would not be able to throw shade at the TO media, which doesn't actually imply they have been. Rather than address the point of my post, which was that those were really shitty questions you went off on a tangent about how I need to prove something I didn't say. I'd say it's the pot calling the kettle black, but I haven't really changed what I said or deflected at all.

Merguson

Banned
Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 45s45 seconds ago
Babcock has no out in his contract. Says Leafs declined to have that in the deal. Wanted commitment.

Pj7NaAL.gif

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Is Babcock suddenly Toronto's prospect pool and 1C?

We'll be in a tough spot without the Sedins but the last 2,3 years have gotten good drafts. It'll be alright.

This is ridiculous :lol I hope it burns and fails like Torts in Vancouver for karma because he's a coach, not the second coming of Jesus.

Leafs have 2 high end prospects in Nylander and Brown in the system right now. Brown is obviously no guarantee but he's been performing very well. Then you add in the 4th overall. Then you have Percy and Loov who are likely to be NHL players... and Johnson, Leipsic, Leivo, Bibeau, Kozun and Gauthier who all seem to have a very good chance of becoming regular NHL players.

Leafs may not have the best prospects on the planet but they have some really good future pieces on the way.

Merguson

Banned
I don't know why the Buffalo thing is such a big deal anyways.

Buffalo pursued him, Buffalo didn't get him, the end. Happens to every team.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Leafs have 2 high end prospects in Nylander and Brown in the system right now. Brown is obviously no guarantee but he's been performing very well. Then you add in the 4th overall. Then you have Percy and Loov who are likely to be NHL players... and Johnson, Leipsic, Leivo, Bibeau, Kozun and Gauthier who all seem to have a very good chance of becoming regular NHL players.

Leafs may not have the best prospects on the planet but they have some really good future pieces on the way.
How many of those beside Nylander / Brown have legitimate top 6 potential? You can find bottom six guys anywhere.

zroid

Banned
yall are salty as fuck, man. he's just a coach ffs.

Buffalo will probably get a guy who's nearly as good for a lot less money. Babcock is not the reason Toronto will or won't be good in a few years. The Shanaplans are the driving force here.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
How many of those beside Nylander / Brown have legitimate top 6 potential? You can find bottom six guys anywhere.

Johnson, Leipsic and an outside shot of Gauthier and Leivo (for 2nd line)

Percy and Loov are both Top 4 potential D

Bibeau has some solid upside as a goalie... I've seen some good stuff out of him.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
The whole circus TSN is putting on around this doesn't bother me, it's to be expected, but Babcock calling the Leafs, "Canada's team" had my eyes rolling out the back of my head and into another dimension.

Look deep into your heart, you know no team moves the papers/pageviews/hits/whatever shit you wanna use like the Toronto Maple Leafs. It's why people outside of Toronto hate them, it's why we love them.

The one team in the biggest media market in Canada. The biggest city in Canada, the tons of transplants from Toronto to other places in Canada.

We are Canada's
shitty
team but you will not accept it nor do I expect you to.

Cactus

Banned
He reiterated that his youngest child will be leaving home this coming year and he was deciding where to settle with his wife.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I can see why living in Toronto for the next 8 years is more enticing than the other options.

LevelNth

Banned

Bibeau has some solid upside as a goalie... I've seen some good stuff out of him.
Assuming we take either Marner, Strome or Hanifin, you can pretty much add a potential Top Line C or Top Pair D to that pool as well.

And then there's the #24 pick too.

yyzjohn

Banned

None, but the Leafs still have to go through the process of trading away guys like Kessel/Phaneuf etc. Hopefully prospects and picks can come in that have top 6 potential.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
None, but the Leafs still have to go through the process of trading away guys like Kessel/Phaneuf etc. Hopefully prospects and picks can come in that have top 6 potential.
I think that's what Babcock meant when he said there will be a lot of pain. A lot of player changes should and need to happen in Toronto.

Cake Boss

Banned

Pffft every team has those secondary prospects, all of them have potential.

The only guarantees are Nybladder and Percy. Everyone else is crapshoot.

zroid

Banned
If Detroit ices a similar team next year, it'll be very interesting to see where they finish.
Probably about the same I think. Blashill seems to be really solid. and he's been coaching Babcock's systems since he entered the organization.

Cactus

Banned
Probably about the same I think. Blashill seems to be really solid. and he's been coaching Babcock's systems since he entered the organization.

Probably. They seem to have a very good prospect pool as well, so maybe losing Datsyuk won't be catastrophic.

Fei

So much salt. Are you grinding your teeth?

It's also funny you brought up a straw man. I said Sabres fans would not be able to throw shade at the TO media, which doesn't actually imply they have been. Rather than address the point of my post, which was that those were really shitty questions you went off on a tangent about how I need to prove something I didn't say. I'd say it's the pot calling the kettle black, but I haven't really changed what I said or deflected at all.

Hey Toronto fans, don't go saying your Canada's team. You know, not that I'm saying you ever did. Just if you were ever thinking about it, don't! Come on bud. Semantics?

yyzjohn

Banned
I think that's what Babcock meant when he said there will be a lot of pain. A lot of player changes should and need to happen in Toronto.

Biggest thing will be the owners and management willingness to stick to the plan despite the pain. If two years from now someone is freaking out and calling for Shanahan's head because the Leafs still stink, this will never improve.

Hey Toronto fans, don't go saying your Canada's team. You know, not that I'm saying you ever did. Just if you were ever thinking about it, don't! Come on bud. Semantics?

Obviously you are a product of Buffalo's education system, and I sympathize, but I don't have to to explain to you what the present tense is, and how it changes what words mean. It's not semantics, it's reading comprehension. But go on, you're doing super well showing us how this isn't such a big deal.

Fei

Obviously you are a product of Buffalo's education system, and I sympathize, but I don't have to to explain to you what the present tense is, and how it changes what words mean. It's not semantics, it's reading comprehension. But go on, you're doing super well showing us how this isn't such a big deal.

Lol, nice. Hope you feel better now.

Detroit will finish last in the league because the Leafs will sign the GOAT Dan Cleary.

;(

Bab's man crush for Cleary will continue in Toronto. Trust me Leafs fans, Babs will find a guy who is a big body, not particularly useful that he'll fall in love with and always give him top minutes when he doesn't even deserve to be playing. You have been warned.

Biggest thing will be the owners and management willingness to stick to the plan despite the pain. If two years from now someone is freaking out and calling for Shanahan's head because the Leafs still stink, this will never improve.

Haven't followed you guys but hasn't thus been the problem forever now? Half assed rebuilds?

I really don't understand all the shit talking about Buffalo as in the city and its people. Grow the hell up.

Cactus

Banned
Pffft every team has those secondary prospects, all of them have potential.

The only guarantees are Nybladder and Percy. Everyone else is crapshoot.

To be fair, you probably only mentioned those two because they're names you've actually heard before.

We have a 20-year-old that is one of the top goal scorers in the SHL, and I think Loov will probably be a better NHL player than Percy. It's hard to predict whether they'll be able to acclimatize to the NHL, but the idea that the Leafs have a barren prospect pool is exaggerated.

Only one blue-chip prospect (Nylander), but if you look at the successful younger players playing for Detoit and Grand Rapids right now, I don't think many of them were considered can't-miss when they were drafted.

Quick

Banned

Free to be, Fei. We are Canada's team.

Exactly. I think signing Babcock will at least relieve some impatience. Firing him or Shanny with the money tied up with the two of them isn't going to look good.

Top Bottom