• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

LARKIN IS TURNING PRO!!!!!

AHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2014+NHL+Draft+Portraits+WHtrUDvPNzdl.jpg

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I've found Lebrun to say some highly dubious shit lately.

Hockey needs a politifact-like resource. So many of these rumours/reports are guesswork presented as sourced material at best. At worst, you've got serious-insider-man on national television feeding hockey fans his cousin's wish list.
The thing with guys like LeBrun is while it may partially guess work,they're still usually basing it on something they heard. I forget if it was Friedman or LeBrun, but one of them called out Montreal trading for Mitchell which no one saw coming or called it. It's not 100% truthful, but it's better than Habsblog.com claiming whatever bulllshit, and I feel like if a Plekanec trade was inevitable, the French media would be all over it.

This interview Babcock did on SN590 this afternoon is actually pretty great. Say what you want about his integrity in choosing Toronto or whatever, but he sounds pretty damn genuine to me.

I don't get this. Salary is a huge factor when you're considering job offers, for everyone.

zroid

Banned
I don't get this. Salary is a huge factor when you're considering job offers, for everyone.

agreed, I have no issue with that at all. but a lot of people seem to think he was in it just for the millions and isn't committed to or appreciative of the actual job, of which there is much work to be done.

One of the points he made in the interview is that the money being offered by all three of the teams in the running was sufficient for his needs. at that stage he just wanted to go somewhere he wanted to live and work. ultimately he made his decision.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
agreed, I have no issue with that at all. but a lot of people seem to think he was in it just for the millions and isn't committed to or appreciative of the actual job, of which there is much work to be done.

He seems pretty realistic. He knows they will be shit for a while but they are building towards something.

I am crossing my fingers that the Shanaplans will stay on course. I've heard these lies before.

Does anyone here Want a God of War: Origins Collection (PS3) Code?

I already have the Physical Copy. They are honestly the only God of war games that had a good story imo.

PM me if you want it i'm gonna be away for the day.

Pikma

Banned
That's me after finishing the latest episode of Life is Strange....god damn.
I started it yesterday, I had to stop playing just after
changing into Rachel's clothes, things are really starting to get creepy, fast.
I didn't choose to kiss Chloe because fuck Chloe
Ok I admit I did, couldn't resist it

I felt horrible yesterday though, because I spent half a day playing the Witcher 3 instead of finishing LiS and watching hockey.

Curufinwe

On HFB I came across this hilarious article about Eric Karlsson from 2008.

http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Columnists/Brennan/2008/06/21/5947311-sun.html

As far as making a splash, Bryan Murray tossed a pebble into the lake that was Round 1 of the NHL draft last night.

Not to be outdone by his wheeling-and-dealing counterparts, the Senators GM traded up three steps so he could take ... Erik Karlsson?

"Nice way to show your thanks to the fans for their support," said Brian Samuel, a regular ticket-buying customer at Scotiabank Place who was sitting in Level 2 wearing a Senators jersey and surrounded by his buddies in Leafs and Blackhawks colours.

"That's a garbage pick. They could have had him in the second round."

Thing is, we really don't know how good Karlsson can and will be. The 43rd player ever drafted into the NHL from the Frolunda hockey team in Sweden, he is advertised as a great skating defenceman with a big shot.

But he's also tiny, listed at 5-foot-10 and 157 lbs.

"I like big strong guys," said Murray, noting Karlsson has some work to do in the gym. "But I also like high-end skilled people."

Karlsson won't play in the NHL for a year or two or three, if he ever does. Real tough to get excited about him now.

Sure. I'm not saying they're never right or don't actually have some sources. Point is he'll more often be saying shit like this:

Which, of course, turned out to be untrue.

That's fair, but I'd still put Dreger in the list of people who are generally trustworthy. I mean, streets ahead of @hockeyrumurz420

On HFB I came across this hilarious article about Eric Karlsson from 2008.

http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Columnists/Brennan/2008/06/21/5947311-sun.html

I remember my one Sens fan friend just absolutely hating Karlsson when he first came into the league. There was no end to the ribbing we gave him about it. Those were the days!

LevelNth

Banned
The 'bidding war' was false, Babcock told Duthie the Leafs offered him the exact contract he took over two months ago.

What's the Habs cap look like next season? It's pretty decent isn't it? I'm curious if they/can they grab scoring help that they so desperately need?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I started it yesterday, I had to stop playing just after
changing into Rachel's clothes, things are really starting to get creepy, fast.
I didn't choose to kiss Chloe because fuck Chloe
Ok I admit I did, couldn't resist it

I felt horrible yesterday though, because I spent half a day playing the Witcher 3 instead of finishing LiS and watching hockey.

Haha, I did the same. Hurry up and finish, lol.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
He seems pretty realistic. He knows they will be shit for a while but they are building towards something.

I am crossing my fingers that the Shanaplans will stay on course. I've heard these lies before.

It makes me so happy to hear everyone talk about how bad we will be for many years to come.

Finally a real rebuild...hopefully.

So of course this means the Leafs will have a Calgary-esque run into the playoffs and ruin it all.

Yawnier

Banned
Steve Simmons saying that the laffs are looking to hire Kelly McCrimmon (GM/HC of the Brandon Wheat Kings)

Hire all the CHL GMs!!!

Curufinwe

That's from Don Brennan , long time professional Dumbass beat writer in this city that writes for The Sun. Kovalev called him a drunk one time. It was the best thing Kovy did for this city.

Sounds like Philly's Tim Panaccio who is even stupider than this photo makes him seem.

wQCJ9ErO.jpeg

Merguson

Banned
Steve Simmons saying that the laffs are looking to hire Kelly McCrimmon (GM/HC of the Brandon Wheat Kings)

Hire all the CHL GMs!!!

That's a pretty big hire if it happens. Like on the level of Hunter leaving for the Leafs.

I think Babcock mentioned McCrimmon along with Hunter as guys he sees as great hockey guys in his press conference.

Cake Boss

Banned
Kind of jelly of the leafs management now.

Where we have our senile old gm trying to trade our better players like weirdick and condra for scraps and keeping shit like Cowen, Neil, smith, greening, chiasson, gryballs and signing legwand and Philips.

Now he's gonna get bent over in another goalie trade where he trades Lerner for another Conacher.

And is still stupid enough to think we need another 6 forward instead of a top 4 dman. Motherfucker we finished in top 10 scoring,and stop creating log jams for our prospects like Puempel and Prince, fix the fucking defense.

Where we have our senile old gm trying to trade our better players like weirdick and condra for scraps and keeping shit like Cowen, Neil, smith, greening, chiasson, gryballs and signing legwand and Philips.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm expecting a train wreck offseason that will undo most of what happened last year:(

zroid

Banned
Damn. Babs looks like he's about to tear up talking with the media in Detroit right now

edit: and he actually is now :'(

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

Now he's gonna get bent over in another goalie trade where he trades Lerner for another Conacher.

And is still stupid enough to think we need another 6 forward instead of a top 4 dman. Motherfucker we finished in top 10 scoring,and stop creating log jams for our prospects like Puempel and Prince, fix the fucking defense.

You guys can have top 4 dman Alexei Emelin for 4th line plug Mike Hoffman.

Solo

Fear not, Cock bae. Leafs still have an atrocious team, bad contracts and far from the strongest prospect pool. Babcock/Shanahan won't be able to make this into a playoff team for a few years at least.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
And who knows, maybe Melnyk will now gain a new perspective on life and decide to 'live in the moment' and then start spending like there's no tomorrow.

His liver donor's only request was for the Sens to win the cup after all ;)

And who knows, maybe Melnyk will now gain a new perspective on life and decide to 'live in the moment' and then start spending like there's no tomorrow.

And how do you know he won't just spend on another extension for Neil or Philoops???

Spending isn't the real problem. It's the mis evaluation of some players.

Mike Hoffman is a 4th line player
Cowen is the next Chris Pronger
Phillips is still an NHL calibre d-man
Colin Greening is a future power forward in the making
Neil intimidates other teams and keeps our players safe.
Boro and Gryba are perfect bottom pairing D-men.

We'd be a killer team even with Melnyk's budget if they removed their head from their ass.

They're sabotaging themselves. Don't forget the miracle playoff run happened because injuries forced them to play players that otherwise would have never gotten a chance.

zroid

Banned
From DGB

Babcock: OK everyone, let’s get started. I want to thank you all for coming. I know this is kind of unusual, but I’ve got all this interest in my services and not much time to make a decision, so it seemed like the easiest way to do this was to just get everyone in one room at the same time.

(Murmurs of approval.)

Babcock: Great. Let’s do a quick roll call. From the Detroit Red Wings, Ken Holland.

Holland: Here.

Babcock: From the Toronto Maple Leafs, Brendan Shanahan.

Shanahan: Here.

Babcock: Representing the Buffalo Sabres, Tim Murray.

Murray: Right here.

Babcock: Doug Wilson from the Sharks? Doug Armstrong from the Blues?

Wilson and Armstrong: Both here.

Babcock: And finally, from the Oilers… um… huh. Craig MacTavish.

MacTavish: I’m here!

(Everyone turns to stare at MacTavish.)

MacTavish: What?

Babcock: Um… didn’t I hear that you’re not the GM in Edmonton anymore?

MacTavish: Oh, that. Yeah, Peter Chiarelli is in charge now, but I still work there. And he obviously trusts me, because he gave me this super-important assignment.

Babcock: He did.

MacTavish: Yep! “You take the Babcock file, Craig!” he said. “Head out on the road and take as long as you need!” he said.

Babcock: I see.

MacTavish: That was two weeks ago.

Babcock: Are you aware that the Oilers already hired Todd McLellan?

(Awkward pause.)

MacTavish: I was not aware of that.

Babcock: You can go now.

MacTavish: I’ll just see myself out.

(MacTavish leaves.)

loooool

Razorskin

----- ------

He was visited by 3 ghosts of Ottawa's past during his surgery; Spezza, Heatley and Alfredsson.

Top Bottom