• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Kind of jelly of the leafs management now.

Where we have our senile old gm trying to trade our better players like weirdick and condra for scraps and keeping shit like Cowen, Neil, smith, greening, chiasson, gryballs and signing legwand and Philips.

Now he's gonna get bent over in another goalie trade where he trades Lerner for another Conacher.

And is still stupid enough to think we need another 6 forward instead of a top 4 dman. Motherfucker we finished in top 10 scoring,and stop creating log jams for our prospects like Puempel and Prince, fix the fucking defense.
You guys have some pretty awesome scouts. Got a lot of gems there and when I count the Sens out, they always come back to surprise unless they're playing the Leafs in the playoffs...

zroid

Banned
Wandered over to the Leafs hf board. Everybody there is an idiot. Posters there are calling Strome a bust because he "disappeared in the playoffs"

It's not just hfboards saying that sadly. Been seeing that a lot and I don't even go there.

Yawnier

Banned
Wandered over to the Leafs hf board. Everybody there is an idiot. Posters there are calling Strome a bust because he "disappeared in the playoffs"

The NHL Draft thread(s) over on the leafs board there have been a Marner/Strome/Hanifin battlefield for the last several months now, it's usually around 5 guys arguing with the same poster over and over again.

Syrinx

Will Hanifin be ready for the NHL next season or does he need a bit more seasoning?

I need to get acquainted with him since it looks like he'll be the guy at 5 for Carolina.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Will Hanifin be ready for the NHL next season or does he need a bit more seasoning?

I need to get acquainted with him since it looks like he'll be the guy at 5 for Carolina.

I honestly think he's going to either Arizona or toronto.

He's the BPA at 3rd.

He would probably be NHL ready... Probably more ready than ekblad was... But probably best to hold him back just in case.

zroid

Banned

IMHO, and obviously I'm not really an expert, but I've probably followed the top prospects in this draft more than the average fan, I think given the right NHL environment, any of Marner, Strome, or Hanifin could play this year.

in other words, I seriously doubt the guy the Leafs draft will play. Carolina though? Could work.

Samyy

I honestly think he's going to either Arizona or toronto.

He's the BPA at 3rd.

He would probably be NHL ready... Probably more ready than ekblad was... But probably best to hold him back just in case.

Strome is going to Arizona at 3
No doubt in my mind

DopeyFish

Strome is going to Arizona at 3
No doubt in my mind

Then it should be hanifin to us. Unless the leafs really want to get a hometown talent in marner... I just think adding hanifin could end up solidifying our D for years to come.

And he's a different kind of defender to rielly... Like a high end Gardiner

zroid

Banned
I find it really really hard to believe Leafs take Hanifin above Marner or Strome. There is just way too much OHL and London Knights in that front office.

It's not even really about them playing favourites, but rather they will probably feel more comfortable picking the guy whom they're more familiar with. Hanifin would be considered more risky.

eyeless

i figure we're getting hanifin or marner, and being happy with either of them is kinda a double edged sword, if we pick hanifin i'm gonna be worried about picking a defenseman high that busts when we could've had an elite point guy, and if we pick marner i'm gonna be worried he busts and we missed out on an elite defenseman

i just want it to be over with tho i wanna know who we're getting aahhhh

DopeyFish

It comes down to this IMO

Strome could be a stastny like guy or maybe a Thornton.

Marner would be like marleau maybe

Hanifin could be a niedermeyer.

That's just how I see it...

Cantvreally go wrong with any of them.. But hanifin has a higher ceiling than either

zroid

Banned
i figure we're getting hanifin or marner, and being happy with either of them is kinda a double edged sword, if we pick hanifin i'm gonna be worried about picking a defenseman high that busts when we could've had an elite point guy, and if we pick marner i'm gonna be worried he busts and we missed out on an elite defenseman

They'll all be good, man!

Remember, some scouts have suggested that any of Marner/Strome/Hanifin could have gone 1st overall in 2014. (Ekblad probably ended up exceeding expectations, but that's beside the point)

DopeyFish

Where are you getting these comparisons from? What has Hanifin shown that suggests his game is anything like Niedermeyer's?

He plays a very cautious game... Engages when he has to. he sees the play incredibly well. He already looks like a complete NHL defenseman at his age which is kinda rare.

The comparisons are kinda how I see them play ... Not really indicative of their career projection

Kinda like how I see pieces of Kane and forsberg in nylander... Even though he isn't really completely like either

eyeless

dopey you are way too optimistic

let me say this tho, i've heard the strome thornton comparison before, and i both think he's going at 3 and also would never get my hopes up that he could be thornton, but just the idea of drafting a young joe thornton would be so fucking good, this will never happen for the leafs, but just as a fantasy "what if" idea i'm just saying my head would explode with joy
They'll all be good, man!

Remember, some scouts have suggested that any of Marner/Strome/Hanifin could have gone 1st overall in 2014. (Ekblad probably ended up exceeding expectations, but that's beside the point)
there is a certain amount of downtrodden deep seeded hope that i won't be able to stop myself having for whoever we pick, but i can never truly get my hopes up in a real way

Curufinwe

You guys have it easy. We're in the Provorov/Barzal/Crouse/Rantanen/Werenski zone at 7. Or maybe they go off the board a bit for Connor. Or trade down.

DopeyFish

dopey you are way too optimistic

let me say this tho, i've heard the strome thornton comparison before, and i both think he's going at 3 and also would never get my hopes up that he could be thornton, but just the idea of drafting a young joe thornton would be so fucking good, this will never happen for the leafs, but just as a fantasy "what if" idea i'm just saying my head would explode with joy

I'm not really projecting their career peak... Just the style of play.

The reason I suggest both Thornton and stastny is you don't really know which way that kind of center can go.

I honestly think strome is the riskiest of the 3 at the moment. Still likely to get a good player out of him.. But I'm not as sure as the quality when looking at tape.

Samyy

I'd much rather have Marner now - high end forwards seem to be a safer pick than defensemen at the top of the draft

Gwent in the Witcher 3 is pretty good, I don't usually like card games, but when I played it I was immediately hooked.

The amount of press the Babcock hiring is getting is crazy. He's a good coach, but he's getting as much attention ass high profile free agent players.

Top Bottom