• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT2| What are the Odds of Hockey in Vegas?

dem

holy shit, Kane is actually going to training camp. this league is a complete joke

No charges, bro!

kanewoo.gif

patrick-kane-dance-o.gif

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Somehow skipped right over the PK Subban news. Holy crap. Putting that contract to good use.

Locking up that NHL Foundation award early this year.

Prior to his time with the Blueshirts, Crabb played for the Panthers, Leafs, Thrashers and Capitals — and it was in Washington where he gained the mos notoriety, briefly playing alongside Alex Ovechkin on the club’s top line (one of Adam Oates’ finer moments.)

Hey NBC, shake yourselves.

"mos notoriety"

I, for one, welcome all ex Ovechkin linemates to beautiful Glendale, Arizona.

The Brooklyn Islanders

:(

Of all the looks to try and copy, the LA Kings aren't one of them.

imBask

Banned
I can't believe our actual captain is at home while Subban is giving 10M to charity. And he did a speech in french too

give him the C, cmon.

Quick

Banned
PK Subban. Good Ontario Kid. Good Toronto Kid. Thumbs up.

Why wouldnt he? He hasnt been arrested or charged with anything yet and may never be.

Pretty much. He's technically free to attend camp.

I guess it's more about the baggage he's bringing to camp, and whether or not it's best to keep him away from the team for the time being due to the distractions that come along.

Tabris

I thought you guys may know as I can't find it anywhere on google.

What are the highest direct contributions to charity by NHL players?

Only ones I could find is the absolutely incredible donation by PK of $10m and Sedins at $1.5m, both to children hospitals.

I see a lot of "raised by" statements but most of the direct contributions by googling Crosby, Ovechkin, etc are small amounts like $20k here, a car here, etc. Or it talks about their foundations, but how much of their money goes to their foundation?

I'm trying to see if NHL players are actually charitable with their money or mainly just with their time?

Quick

Banned

Only ones I could find is the absolutely incredible donation by PK of $10m and Sedins at $1.5m, both to children hospitals.

I see a lot of "raised by" statements but most of the direct contributions by googling Crosby, Ovechkin, etc are small amounts like $20k here, a car here, etc. Or it talks about their foundations, but how much of their money goes to their foundation?

I'm trying to see if NHL players are actually charitable with their money or mainly just with their time?

I don't think it really matters. Charity shouldn't be a dick swinging contest.

I think Saku Koivu donated money for a Cancer Treatment thing in Montreal years ago. But I think PK might have made the most biggest Contribution.

zroid

Banned
Why wouldnt he? He hasnt been arrested or charged with anything yet and may never be.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic...

anyway, the NHL can't just wave off allegations of this serious nature because there is no charge laid. he shouldn't be involved in any hockey activities for now. but they're being passive because he's a star player, as usual.

Tabris

I don't think it really matters. Charity shouldn't be a dick swinging contest.

Sure it does. I am more impressed by Bill Gates then most others in the realm of charitable giving because he has a much bigger impact and a much higher ratio.

I wouldn't discredit anyone, but I would be more impressed by others for sure.

want a protection plan?
want to preorder NHL 17 right now?
want to preorder COD?
want to preorder Hatsune Miku 18?
want to preorder the new Amiibo?
are you sure about the protection plan? you do know that CD literally explode all the time right?

more on point than I want to recognize D:

Good Guy Perry PK

this is so wrong

CPCAWn6U8AE4d3P.jpg:orig

:(

It's so dour and plain. This is like the Warrior Within of hockey jerseys; needlessly serious.

(For reference, the new Ducks 3rd matches the whimsy of PoP 2008 and the Canada Cup jerseys are Sands of Time.)

Quick

Banned
Sure it does. I am more impressed by Bill Gates then most others in the realm of charitable giving because he has a much bigger impact and a much higher ratio.

Anything helps when it comes to charity. $10 million is a huge sum of money, but the contributions of thousands of people (in any form they choose) is also significant.

It's good to see charitable athletes, but measuring their contributions purely from a monetary standpoint is shallow. Bill Gates not only contributes a lot of money, but also his time. On the other hand, some people are able to put in more time than money and vise versa.

Excuse me?

I'm just trying to outline how to play the right way.

this is so wrong

That's really what they're going with as the 3rd jersey? Not a fan at all. It's so plain and uninspired.

Also real props to Subban for 10 million dollar donation to children's hospital. I'd be hard pressed to find many athletes who would donate that much.

Foggy

Good on PK and great that he did it just before the season started. Villainous hockey players shouldn't show their human side during the season, we can't handle the juxtaposition.

Marvie_3

Banned
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic...

anyway, the NHL can't just wave off allegations of this serious nature because there is no charge laid. he shouldn't be involved in any hockey activities for now. but they're being passive because he's a star player, as usual.
Except they can and should. How is it fair to him to be punished for something that may not even be true? Suspending him without charges is basically saying he's guilty without any proof. That's not how it works.

Anything helps when it comes to charity. $10 million is a huge sum of money, but the contributions of thousands of people (in any form they choose) is also significant.

It's good to see charitable athletes, but measuring their contributions purely from a monetary standpoint is shallow. Bill Gates not only contributes a lot of money, but also his time. On the other hand, some people are able to put in more time than money and vise versa.
Exactly.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

Well done PK.

this is so wrong

It's so ugly. And plain.

Honestly, I agree with Quick. It's not only about the money. Donating your time is also valuable. You also can't really judge impact. Sure, the work that Bill Gates does impacts a large number of people but an individual can also a huge impact on another person.

There are also several people who do quite a bit of charity work or donations but it's not reported because it's low key.

It's so ugly. And plain.

My mind is playing the lead in to Baby got Back reading this. I can't help myself.

Honestly, I agree with Quick. It's not only about the money. Donating your time is also valuable. You also can't really judge impact. Sure, the work that Bill Gates does impacts a large number of people but an individual can also a huge impact on another person.

There are also several people who do quite a bit of charity work or donations but it's not reported because it's low key.

To add to it charity work is not only about $$ spent but how much you can improve the quality of life for another selflessly. There are players like Gudbranson who have a small (12-15) group of pediatric cancer patients who he rents a suite for, gives locker room tours etc etc. Helping people is not a competition.

zroid

Banned
Except they can and should. How is it fair to him to be punished for something that may not even be true? Suspending him without charges is basically saying he's guilty without any proof. That's not how it works.

Exactly.

He wouldn't be getting punished. He would be given paid leave. That is pretty standard when an employee is being criminally investigated. The NHL doesn't need to put its fingers in its ears and pretend there was no wrongdoing. It looks really bad on the league right now, and it will look 100x worse if he does get charged. It's pretty pathetic tbh that Kane could potentially play games right now while this is happening. I'm really surprised you're OK with it.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It's pretty obvious if this was Bickell instead of Kane, he wouldn't be at camp and there'd be no discussion about it. The double standard there is the problem.

imBask

Banned
It's pretty obvious if this was Bickell instead of Kane, he wouldn't be at camp and there'd be no discussion about it. The double standard there is the problem.

If the player was Sean Avery or John Scott instead of Kane, not only would he be suspended, he would be crucified and declared guilty everywhere including here

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So 45 games in the preseason have been selected to play 3-on-3 sudden death overtime regardless of the final score after regulation.

Those games are:

SUNDAY, SEPT. 20

Florida at Nashville (evening game of split-squad doubleheader), 8 p.m.

MONDAY, SEPT. 21

Carolina at Washington, 7 p.m.
Pittsburgh at Columbus, 7 p.m.
Buffalo at Minnesota, 8 p.m.
Arizona vs. Los Angeles, at Bakersfield, Calif. (Rabobank Arena), 10 p.m.

TUESDAY, SEPT. 22

Washington at Boston, 7 p.m.
NY Rangers at Philadelphia, 7 p.m.
St. Louis (split squad) at Columbus (split squad), 7 p.m.
Toronto at Montreal, 7:30 p.m.
Nashville at Tampa Bay, 7:30 p.m.
Dallas at Florida, 7:30 p.m.
Detroit at Chicago, 8:30 p.m.
Anaheim at Colorado, 9 p.m.
San Jose at Vancouver, 10 p.m.

WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 23

Ottawa at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
New Jersey at NY Islanders, 7 p.m.
Tampa Bay at Nashville, 8 p.m.
Winnipeg at Edmonton, 9 p.m.

THURSDAY, SEPT. 24

Pittsburgh at Detroit, 7:30 p.m.

FRIDAY, SEPT. 25

NY Islanders (split squad) at Philadelphia, 7 p.m.
Edmonton at Winnipeg, 8 p.m.
Vancouver at Calgary, 9 p.m.
Arizona at San Jose, 10:30 p.m.

SATURDAY, SEPT. 26

Columbus at Pittsburgh, 4 p.m.
Carolina vs. NY Islanders, at Halifax, N.S. (Scotiabank Centre), 5 p.m.
Edmonton vs. Minnesota, at Saskatoon, Sask. (SaskTel Centre), 6 p.m.
NY Rangers at New Jersey, 7 p.m.
Montreal at Toronto, 7:30 p.m.
Tampa Bay at Dallas, 8 p.m.
St. Louis at Chicago, 8:30 p.m.
Calgary at Vancouver, 10 p.m.

SUNDAY, SEPT. 27

Carolina vs. Ottawa, at St. John's, Nfld. (Mile One Centre), 3:30 p.m.

Florida at Dallas, 8 p.m.

Los Angeles at Colorado, 8 p.m.

MONDAY, SEPT. 28

None.

TUESDAY, SEPT. 29

Anaheim at Los Angeles, 10:30 p.m.

WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 30

Boston at NY Rangers, 7 p.m.
New Jersey at Philadelphia, 7 p.m.

THURSDAY, OCT. 1

Buffalo at Minnesota, 8 p.m.
Chicago at St. Louis, 8 p.m.
Calgary at Winnipeg, 8 p.m.
Colorado at Anaheim, 10 p.m.

FRIDAY, OCT. 2

Boston at Washington, 7 p.m.
San Jose at Arizona, 10 p.m.

SATURDAY, OCT. 3

Montreal at Ottawa, 7 p.m.
Detroit at Toronto, 7 p.m.

SUNDAY, OCT. 4

None.

imBask

Banned
what the NHL is expecting : super crazy 3 on 3 action with crazy 2 on 1 all the time

my prediction : incredibly defensive 4 on 4 followed by some crazy defensive 3 on 3, most likely 2 dman and a defensive player on the ice at all time

Socreges

Banned
He wouldn't be getting punished. He would be given paid leave. That is pretty standard when an employee is being criminally investigated. The NHL doesn't need to put its fingers in its ears and pretend there was no wrongdoing. It looks really bad on the league right now, and it will look 100x worse if he does get charged. It's pretty pathetic tbh that Kane could potentially play games right now while this is happening. I'm really surprised you're OK with it.
lol

Stasis

Curious about the 3 on 3. Thanks for posting the sched Meta. I have Tuesdays off now so I'll get to see the rangers and flyers do it.

My schedule has me occupied most Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays and some Fridays until 10pm or later for the forseeable future. This is not ideal in the world of hockey =/

Top Bottom