• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT2| What are the Odds of Hockey in Vegas?

Clydefrog

Pikma or anyone else in SoCal-Age who knows: what is the absolute best fine dining restaurant in downtown San Diego? No budget constraints, I'm looking for the best.

I'm planning a bachelor party there for this weekend and I don't want to necessarily choose Fleming's, since we have one here in Newport Beach. I would much prefer a unique local place, but I don't know any at all and it's really difficult to tell the legit places apart from the tourist trap places. We'll be staying in the Gaslamp if that matters, but we can Uber anywhere. The groom casually eats at places like Mastro's as if they're Outback Steakhouse, so that's the level I'm gunning for here.

Also, Smack, I will need the name of your Carne Asada Fries vendor down there.
Stone Brewery

I gather that the rest of the hockey world barely acknowledges our existence again, now that the new team shine has worn off. Aside from Byfuglien or the drama train that was Evadnder Kane, no one really talks about us in major sports outlets much.

We've begun to develop rivalries with our Central division brethren the past few years however. St. Louis in particular, last season. Of course, when we ended up playing 4 or 5 times in one month, tempers tend to flare. I know some Avs fans don't care for us either for some reason. Minnesota is a good one, especially since of our geographic location to each other. Lots of Jets fans go down there to see the team. Maybe Arizona due to our ties with the old franchise? I mustn't forget Chicago though. The games against them have become much more impressive over the past few years as opposed to the routs that they used to put us through. I'd love for a full on playoff series with them. Win or lose, It'd be a war and entertainment at it's finest.

For me, personally, I still resent the Oilers for the beatings that they gave our old team and even though they have been mediocre for a decade nearly, I will still never cheer for them (The exception being last spring when they beat the Kings to insure our entrance to the playoffs for the first time in ages.)

The other team that I despise with a passion, of course, are the Leafs. But I've never required an NHL team at all times to hate on them.

As the years go on, we'll develop some more intense rivalries, for sure.

Those sound like good matchups. Didn't really feel the Ducks/Jets series get heated like Calgary/Vancouver. Felt too respectful because of the Teemu connection.

If it was LA again? I'd want blood.

Erdrick

Those sound like good matchups. Didn't really feel the Ducks/Jets series get heated like Calgary/Vancouver. Felt too respectful because of the Teemu connection.

If it was LA again? I'd want blood.

Eh... Maybe if we managed to win a few games in the series, something might have developed more, but as it was, you guys pretty much had our number. I also can't hold ill will against Teemu Selanne's team. We'll see how it goes this coming season. I'm looking forward to it after last year's surprising turn out.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Alright, then the first ones my list would be Salvatore's Cucina Italiana and Bice Ristorante.

Salvatore's has some of the finest italian dishes I've ever had te pleasure to try, a really really good place both for the exquisite cuisine (the Filetto Alle Erbe Aromatiche is simply marvelous) and the traditional ambient/decor, their Wine selection is really good altough kinda small.

Bice Ristorante takes a more modern approach to Italian Cuisine which is also accompanied with a way more modern look/decor, which I think would fit a lot more with what you're looking for, it's also quite good and their Wine and Cheese selections is fucking ridiculously good, my favorite thing about the place, no doubt. It's also right there in Gaslamp so I guess that'd be a plus for you?

There's also an incredibly good French restaurant I could recommend you but it's not anywhere near downtown so maybe it wouldn't work.

I'll give other places a look and see what else I can recommend you. There's a lot of american restaurants but most of them, at least the ones near downtown, are too casual for what you're interested in, but I definitely think I may be forgetting other good options.

Thank you! I will look into those two for sure. Bice sounds like it might be perfect though. Any more recommendations as you think of them are welcome and appreciated.

I'll ask my buddy later on tonight.

There is a Seven Grand in San Diego too. So yeah get your drink on.

I've never been. Is it worth the trip allll the way to the other side of the park?

Stone Brewery

We will be at Stone during the day on Saturday. We have all of Friday through Sunday, so there's enough time for all kinds of drinking excursions. There's also the Stone tap room right next to Petco where we're staying.

Pikma or anyone else in SoCal-Age who knows: what is the absolute best fine dining restaurant in downtown San Diego? No budget constraints, I'm looking for the best.

I'm planning a bachelor party there for this weekend and I don't want to necessarily choose Fleming's, since we have one here in Newport Beach. I would much prefer a unique local place, but I don't know any at all and it's really difficult to tell the legit places apart from the tourist trap places. We'll be staying in the Gaslamp if that matters, but we can Uber anywhere. The groom casually eats at places like Mastro's as if they're Outback Steakhouse, so that's the level I'm gunning for here.

Also, Smack, I will need the name of your Carne Asada Fries vendor down there.

You will have no problem finding carne asada fries in San Diego. I think they're all pretty good, but here are my favorites:

Lolita's - Small chain in the San Diego area.
Super Sergio's - I used to go here when I'd hang with UCSD folks. You can get it with shrimp instead of carne asada to fancy it up a bit.
Vallarta Express - Get the carne asada fries but topped with a fried egg. You can also get it with mahi mahi instead of carne asada.

Let me know which fancy place he chooses for dinner. I've never even been to Mastro's!

Calamari41

41 > 38
You will have no problem finding carne asada fries in San Diego. I think they're all pretty good, but here are my favorites:

Lolita's - Small chain in the San Diego area.
Super Sergio's - I used to go here when I'd hang with UCSD folks. You can get it with shrimp instead of carne asada to fancy it up a bit.
Vallarta Express - Get the carne asada fries but topped with a fried egg. You can also get it with mahi mahi instead of carne asada.

Let me know which fancy place he chooses for dinner. I've never even been to Mastro's!

My man! I believe we're going to have to try Lolita's, in honor of TUSR.

I wonder how Dastardly feels about Outback Steakhouse. Is it authentic Australian?

I know for a fact that bloomin' onions grow like weeds in Australia.

zroid

Banned
I miss Outback Steakhouse :(

I think they pulled out of Canada about 12-15 years ago. Couldn't compete with The Keg, I guess.

Thank you! I will look into those two for sure. Bice sounds like it might be perfect though. Any more recommendations as you think of them are welcome and appreciated.

I've never been. Is it worth the trip allll the way to the other side of the park?

Never been to the SD one but I heard it's just as good as the one in DTLA. They're both on everyone's best whiskey bars in the US list. Hibiki 21 is finally here in the states too. They might have a bottle.

Never been to the SD one but I heard it's just as good as the one in DTLA. They're both on everyone's best whiskey bars in the US list. Hibiki 21 is finally here in the states too. They might have a bottle.

Bice is fine Italian dining, but is it better than this?

NwqsK.jpg

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Not on the team Canada website?
If not check international section of Hfboards
Yea, I looked there. I can't find any real roster info for Team Russia. Just wondering if Scherbak is playing in this or not.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
File this away for about 8 years from now (or maybe 3 or 4 years from now when our aging core drags us out of playoff contention):

Sports Business Daily said:
Henrik Lundqvist
New York Rangers

NBC Sports Group executives see the 33-year-old Swede as someone with a lot of television potential. NBC Sports executive Princell Hair likes the fact that the Rangers goalie is at the top of his game, which he believes will lead to a perspective that fans want to see.

“He’s a guy that is very well-spoken — a good-looking guy,” said Hair, NBC Sports Group’s senior vice president of news and talent. “You’d like to see a guy like that get an opportunity in broadcasting. He seems to have the external things that you need to be successful.”
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2015/07/20/In-Depth/Athletes.aspx

Top Bottom