• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT2| What are the Odds of Hockey in Vegas?

Samyy

This lawyer never settled a case before, seems like the aim was always for prosecution.
This particular lawyer does not do civil cases.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Hawks will have a hard time sweeping this shit under the rug now huh

This is bigger than the Hawks PR now. We have police and/or District Attorneys actively destroying evidence, if this series of events is to be believed.

By the way, it should be noted that a District Attorney would not destroy evidence in order to help the person being potentially prosecuted.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Wow.

And he's still at camp, Hawks look pretty fucking terrible right now. What a cluster fuck.

Samyy

Kane is a piece of shit
I dont particular care, fuck the whole innocent until proven guilty bullshit that means shit to how I feel.
How the fuck does this happen?
There would be no need to tamper unless there was a chance that the evidence could be damaging to Kane.

I jumped into the live stream late, but is the evidence even confirmed to be missing?

I think the lawyer said something along the lines of him being very concerned about the current state of the evidence

Kane is a piece of shit
I dont particular care, fuck the whole innocent until proven guilty bullshit that means shit to how I feel.
There would be no need to tamper unless there was a chance that the evidence could be damaging to Kane.

You can feel how you feel, I'm not going to stop you or tell you otherwise. This shit makes me sick to my stomach. But I don't get why it's such a heavy reaction to take sides.

I will say this - if questions brought up today get answered (why/how did this happen), this fucking disgusting act of fucking with the evidence might make things more clear as to what happened, instead of a settlement which most likely leaves no closure.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Kane is a piece of shit

The cops and/or DA would destroy incriminating evidence? Whatever is happening here is too complex and weird to make blanket statements like this.

iLLmAtlc

I find the whole thing very strange. Why does an accuser have a lawyer? You don't hire lawyers to do criminal prosecutions, those are done by the government.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Was this done to whistleblow what was going on behind the scenes or as a fuck you to the accuser?

Either way holy shit.

Does the NHL or Blackhawks even have the power in the CBA to suspend Kane for this?

Calamari41

41 > 38
Either this post is dumb as hell, or I, myself, am the dumb one. Someone please let me know

A victim's representation in a criminal prosecution of a defendant is the State itself.

You hire a lawyer like this for a civil suit.

That's how it almost always works, at least. Is this not the case?

Was this done to whistleblow what was going on behind the scenes or as a fuck you to the accuser?

Either way holy shit.

Does the NHL or Blackhawks even have the power in the CBA to suspend Kane for this?

The evidence was in the prosecution's hands when it was destroyed. This would have no effect on Kane or the Hawks unless there was evidence that they went into the PD and destroyed the evidence, or had a hand in getting some corrupt cop to do it.

Sanjuro

Either this post is dumb as hell, or I, myself, am the dumb one. Someone please let me know

Ut6UHJE.jpg

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Either way holy shit.

I believe as long as he is under investigation, they can suspend him at any time. If neither the Hawks or NHL do so after this, I don't know what to say. Embarrassing day for hockey.

iLLmAtlc

hmm where is the confusion?

There are two types of court proceedings: civil and criminal. Civil is if she is suing Kane for sexual assault (like what happened to Ribeiro). Worst that can happen in a trial is the defendant pays money to the victim.

Criminal is where somebody files police complaint, police investigate, and sends evidence to the government lawyers to decide whether to prosecute. Worst that can happen at trial is you're sent to jail.

Afaik this is situation 2, so why does she have a lawyer? Lawyers are hired to protect your legal interests. What legal interests does she have at stake? She's making a complaint and the worst that can happen is it goes no where.

Sanjuro

A victim's representation in a criminal prosecution of a defendant is the State itself.

You hire a lawyer like this for a civil suit.

That's how it almost always works, at least. Is this not the case?

The prosecution is not going to go to bat for you in all instances publicly. I'd imagine in most high profile situations, there will be a family attorney present to make statements when needed.

Calamari41

41 > 38
The prosecution is not going to go to bat for you in all instances publicly. I'd imagine in most high profile situations, there will be a family attorney present to make statements when needed.

Makes sense. Do you know if they have access to/are able to work with the prosecutors?

imBask

Banned
I believe as long as he is under investigation, they can suspend him at any time. If neither the Hawks or NHL do so after this, I don't know what to say. Embarrassing day for hockey.

as I said before, if this was about John Scott or Shawn Thornton, there's no doubt in my mind that the NHL would've suspended him already

Samyy

The NHL needs to step forward and suspend any athlete under criminal investigation for the duration of the investigation.

Sanjuro

Makes sense. Do you know if they have access to/are able to work with the prosecutors?

I would imagine some degree of cooperation would be there, as the attorney would be protecting any sort of information and statements coming from the family members. I'm not sure that they would be involved in the actual court proceedings.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I would imagine some degree of cooperation would be there, as the attorney would be protecting any sort of information and statements coming from the family members. I'm not sure that they would be involved in the actual court proceedings.

Given the fact that this family attorney has the evidence in his possession, it seems like they're working together incredibly closely. Seems that the DA's office would be the one to normally give a press conference like this.

Sanjuro

Given the fact that this family attorney has the evidence in his possession, it seems like they're working together incredibly closely. Seems that the DA's office would be the one to normally give a press conference like this.

It is a little strange. I don't think it is because the family has an attorney though.

If this was a case of Joe vs. Jane then it might be.

Top Bottom