• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT2| What are the Odds of Hockey in Vegas?

Holiday

Banned
Given the fact that this family attorney has the evidence in his possession, it seems like they're working together incredibly closely. Seems that the DA's office would be the one to normally give a press conference like this.
I'm guessing that he has it because someone left it at her mother's front door.

Sanjuro

You don't think the District Attorney's office and the prosecution would be interested in taking possession of it?

What I meant about family representation probably comes first in this instance. Not saying the DA and prosecution is incompetent, but in a fight like this where everyone is likely against you? Probably makes sense that the one guy that is on your payroll makes the statement.

Pikma

Banned
I'm not going to pretend I know what the fuck is going on with the investigation, all I know is that The NHL looks like shit and loses the little credibility it had left by not suspending the player.

Calamari41

41 > 38
What I meant about family representation probably comes first in this instance. Not saying the DA and prosecution is incompetent, but in a fight like this where everyone is likely against you? Probably makes sense that the one guy that is on your payroll makes the statement.

Oh I definitely agree with that, I just don't think that the prosecutor would hand over evidence bags unless they're working together way more closely than I would assume to be normal.

Holiday

Banned
You don't think the District Attorney's office and the prosecution would be interested in taking possession of it?
I would definitely think that, but seeing as how it already somehow escaped their possession, who knows what the protocol is. Surely they'll return it at some point?

iLLmAtlc

None of this makes any sense. I cannot see how any investigation could allow the accuser's family to possess any evidence. OK, so it's been stolen and tampered with? How bout you take it back immediately to prevent further tampering?

Samyy

I think the biggest thing here for me here is if there was a trial, and we got to hear all the testimony and evidence I think we would be able to at least clear Kane based on the evidence and, I dont know, at least believe he maybe didn't do it.

If because of this whole mess there is no trial or seriously impairs the prosecution then I can't ever really believe Kane didn't do it.

Does that make sense? I don't know this is making me really upset...

None of this makes any sense. I cannot see how any investigation could allow the accuser's family to possess any evidence. OK, so it's been stolen and tampered with? How bout you take it back immediately to prevent further tampering?

They just have the bag, which has the name of the alleged victim written on it, as well as the nurse's initials who administered the rape kit. Unless that is what you mean? Also, the alleged victim's lawyer is calling for an independent investigation of the whole matter

iLLmAtlc

They just have the bag, which has the name of the alleged victim written on it, as well as the nurse's initials who administered the rape kit. Unless that is what you mean? Also, the alleged victim's lawyer is calling for an independent investigation of the whole matter

ya even if it's the bag. you never know how it might come into use for you later. let's say they eventually manage to connect this back to kane and they try to introduce the bag into evidence in court. judge will immediately throw it out because what if the family itself did some tampering now?

that's assuming they even have the bag, which i'm not really sure where that came from lol

Socreges

Banned
I don't understand.

Wasn't the evidence likely tampered with AFTER the results were recorded? I'm assuming the results were complete and no further information could come from the rape kit that wasn't already known.

This is bizarre. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see the purpose behind any of this.

Calamari41

41 > 38
ya even if it's the bag. you never know how it might come into use for you later. let's say they eventually manage to connect this back to kane and they try to introduce the bag into evidence in court. judge will immediately throw it out because what if the family itself did some tampering now?

that's assuming they even have the bag, which i'm not really sure where that came from lol

During the press conference, the lawyer was holding it up (sealed in its own evidence bag). I'm sure its with the DA's office now. I just mentioned it because I agreed with you in finding it very strange that a family attorney would be this tied in with the investigation/prosecution.

The family did have sole possession of it, though, for at least the time between finding it at the front door and the authorities being contacted about it.

Samyy

People on the main board are fucked
There is no way you would not be suspended from your workplace for something like this

Sanjuro

There is nothing wrong with Kane continuing his practice. That's the responsibility of the commissioner, or lesser extent the Blackhawks organization.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I don't understand.

Wasn't the evidence likely tampered with AFTER the results were recorded? I'm assuming the results were complete and no further information could come from the rape kit that wasn't already known.

This is bizarre. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see the purpose behind any of this.

The point is, if someone can take the evidence, remove it from police custody and put it in front of their house, we have no idea what else could have possibly happened to the evidence all throughout the investigation. All we know is that the integrity is compromised.

Was it completely untouched and legit? Possible.
Was it altered by the family lawyer? Possible.
Was it altered by whoever took it? Possible.
Was it altered before being tested? Possible.

This shows there is a problem/leak in the police department, which means we have no idea of knowing whether the evidence is real or not. THAT is the clusterfuck.

For all we know, the evidence could be altered pro-Kane OR pro-woman, we dont know. All we know is that something is fishy.

iLLmAtlc

I don't understand.

I honestly dunno how rape kits work, but don't they have to analyze anything they find? (e.g. could samples be matched with Kane) Are they able to do that immediately? I kinda doubt it.

Calamari41

41 > 38
People on the main board are fucked
There is no way you would not be suspended from your workplace for something like this

You mean the accusation to begin with? Or the fact that evidence was destroyed while in the prosecution's possession? There isn't enough information yet on this new revelation to punish Kane for it.

I honestly dunno how rape kits work, but don't they have to analyze anything they find? (e.g. could samples be matched with Kane) Are they able to do that immediately? I kinda doubt it.

Rape kits are DNA swabs from the victim's body. Along with evidence of damage to the victim as well. Lab results for DNA are not instant and if it's tampered with all of the samples on it are not usuable in court.

Socreges

Banned
Presumably the rape kit was first used... soon after the alleged rape occurred. Which was ~7 weeks ago.

iLLmAtlc

Presumably the rape kit was first used... soon after the alleged rape occurred. Which was ~7 weeks ago.

Of course, I just wasn't sure when they found out about it, could have been a long time ago and they are just saying it now. Could be wrong though.

E: nvm it was Tuesday afternoon.

Samyy

Of course, I just wasn't sure when they found out about it, could have been a long time ago and they are just saying it now. Could be wrong though.

Seems like the most plausible speculation is:
- Bag is opened, contents tampered with, bag thrown out and replaced with a new bag sealing then tampered evidence.

This is the only thing that makes sense, otherwise the bag wouldn't have been so obviously ripped, whoever did it likely never intended for it to be seen again, and a whistleblower recovered it and did this to make it known that there was tampering.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Seems like the most plausible speculation is:
- Bag is opened, contents tampered with, bag thrown out and replaced with a new bag sealing then tampered evidence.

This is the only thing that makes sense, otherwise the bag wouldn't have been so obviously ripped, whoever did it likely never intended for it to be seen again, and a whistleblower recovered it and did this to make it known that there was tampering.

What kind of idiot would go through all of that successfully and then forget to rip off the ID tag with nurse's signature?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just pointing out another incredibly strange wrinkle.

E: nvm it was Tuesday afternoon.

If I'm not mistaken they're talking about it now because of the rumors of the kit coming back negative, which we now know is false.

Socreges

Banned
The point is, if someone can take the evidence, remove it from police custody and put it in front of their house, we have no idea what else could have possibly happened to the evidence all throughout the investigation. All we know is that the integrity is compromised.

Was it completely untouched and legit? Possible.
Was it altered by the family lawyer? Possible.
Was it altered by whoever took it? Possible.
Was it altered before being tested? Possible.

This shows there is a problem/leak in the police department, which means we have no idea of knowing whether the evidence is real or not. THAT is the clusterfuck.

For all we know, the evidence could be altered pro-Kane OR pro-woman, we dont know. All we know is that something is fishy.
To clarify your point, if the evidence was stolen on Day 43 that does not necessarily mean Days 1-42 are compromised. Which is how people are reacting. This is why an investigation needs to take place.

Cake Boss

Banned
Can you link me to an article with this? I'd like to post this on Facebook.

When asked if his client was interested in a settlement, Eoannou said no.

“I am a criminal attorney. I have never settled a monetary claim in my life. I’m the last lawyer in town you would go to in a civil case.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-reg...pered-with-in-patrick-kane-rape-case-20150923

Apparently hes running to be a judge after this is all done.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
To clarify your point, if the evidence was stolen on Day 43 that does not necessarily mean Days 1-42 are compromised. Which is how people are reacting. This is why an investigation needs to take place.

Yes, exactly. Point is, we dont know what happenes, if anything happened, or when, all we know is something is fishy.

Which is why I refuse to speculate, there's just too many possibilities of what could have happened.

Foggy

Yes, exactly. Point is, we dont know what happenes, if anything happened, or when, all we know is something is fishy.

Which is why I refuse to speculate, there's just too many possibilities of what could have happened.

It's the best way to look at it, honestly. Much better than just standing on a soapbox and screaming "INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY". Hell, with the long-standing history of what prominent professional athletes(hell, even amateur athletes) get away with, I don't know what to say for someone who jumps on a podium and gets righteously indignant about the rights of a professional athlete.

Marvie_3

Banned
It's the best way to look at it, honestly. Much better than just standing on a soapbox and screaming "INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY". Hell, with the long-standing history of what prominent professional athletes(hell, even amateur athletes) get away with, I don't know what to say for someone who jumps on a podium and gets righteously indignant about the rights of a professional athlete.

Or vice versa. People are overreacting all over about this.

Foggy

Or vice versa. People are overreacting all over about this.

Of course but one is far more tone deaf than the other. Also, I certainly don't think it's an overreaction to expect the Blackhawks not to bring Kane to camp until the investigation is over. Particularly in the instance of a rape investigation. Particularly since we all know how many athletes get away with heinous shit.

Marvie_3

Banned
Of course but one is far more tone deaf than the other. Also, I certainly don't think it's an overreaction to expect the Blackhawks not to bring Kane to camp until the investigation is over. Particularly in the instance of a rape investigation. Particularly since we all know how many athletes get away with heinous shit.

Nah, I think the extremes on both side have both been about the same.

Pikma

Banned
UGH Splatoon is starting to piss me off, there's so many things wrong with the fucking matchmaking and overall ranked system, it is fucking broken as fuck.

Top Bottom