• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT2| What are the Odds of Hockey in Vegas?

Foggy

Wow the Toronto media succeeded
People actually think Kessel caused locker room issues, unbelievable.

Hiring the best coach in the league just wasn't enough. He was that bad to that locker room. Bringing everyone down, eating hot dogs. Why bother poisoning the locker room of this Auston Matthews-bound team by keeping him aboard. Trade him for scraps. No reason to wait for a real motivated buyer. The only thing that makes sense is to get rid of him as soon as humanly possible. His value was only going to drop. Waiting for the trade deadline would have been supremely foolish.

Samyy

Hiring the best coach in the league just wasn't enough. He was that bad to that locker room. Bringing everyone down, eating hot dogs. Why bother poisoning the locker room of this Auston Matthews-bound team by keeping him aboard. Trade him for scraps. No reason to wait for a real motivated buyer. The only thing that makes sense is to get rid of him as soon as humanly possible. His value was only going to drop. Waiting for the trade deadline would have been supremely foolish.

You should record this and send it to TSN, they will give you a spot on The Reporters!

Protect ya goddamn necks if you're gonna hate on Phil on my watch.

I got your back Quick!

zroid

Banned
it was Tortorella who went on TSN radio a few months ago and said that he specifically found Phil to be very "coachable" (based on 2010 Olympics).

Tortorella, the biggest hard-ass coach there is, said Phil was coachable.

Should we believe Torts, or Ron Wilson, who was out of a job for years and stood to gain from denigrating his former players to help restore his reputation? I wonder.

Samyy

Ron Wilson should really hate Brian Burke for destroying his career by giving him a combo of Toskala, Gustavsson and Giguere.

His teams put up solid underlying numbers but were sunk by atrocious goal tending.

I think he is a good coach

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
What would the fall out be if Kane was found guilty? I have a hard time seeing the Hawks terminating his contract under any circumstances to be honest.

Pikma

Banned
Calamari42, what did you decide regarding your visit? let me know if you need anything or if you're still looking for specific places.

Quick

Banned
I was given a Magneto Funko figure. Those things are neat, I can see why a lot of people have a fuck ton of them.

Same here. I see the appeal after buying one I really liked. I own 6 of them, but I'm not desperate to collect them.

I used to collect figures (not the slutty anime stuff) then realized one day that I have no use for them. I have a few that I still keep displayed, but the rest are in a box. Not that I collected a lot to begin with.

iLLmAtlc

What would the fall out be if Kane was found guilty? I have a hard time seeing the Hawks terminating his contract under any circumstances to be honest.

Took a quick look at the cba and there seems to be no automatic expulsion for criminal conviction. Commish Gary could suspend him up to life for "being guilty of conduct detrimental to the welfare of the league".

Or the team could try that material breach thing, if they really wanted to. Otherwise, he would just resume playing out his contract.

In the mean time the league can suspend him because he's part of a criminal investigation, like they did Voynov.

Article 18-A has most of this stuff:
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

Lifetime ban seems unlikely. Just remembered big Bert and McSorely both were guilty. McSorely got suspended 1 year and Bert was playing again after his ~2 months supension. Rape is more serious than assault, but I find it hard to justify going to life. 2 years, maybe.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Calamari42, what did you decide regarding your visit? let me know if you need anything or if you're still looking for specific places.

I'm not sure who Calamari42 is, but as for my trip, we are going with Bice on Saturday night. I did some research and it looks dank as shit (thats a good thing, for those not from SoCal.

Stone tap room Friday at lunchtime, then Altitude in the evening to watch the Padres game from the roof. Hash A Go Go for breakfast the next day, then some breweries, then a hole in the wall Mexican place that a buddy recommended heavily (which I can't remember the name of), then bar hopping, then Bice, then clubs. On Sunday we'll grab some food and go home!

There are enough bars and lounges in the Gaslamp that I figure we can just wing most of the drinking parts of the trip. Any specifically that you recommend? I'm going to suggest Kaeptain's whiskey bar too.

I'm not sure who Calamari42 is, but as for my trip, we are going with Bice on Saturday night. I did some research and it looks dank as shit (thats a good thing, for those not from SoCal.

Stone tap room Friday at lunchtime, then Altitude in the evening to watch the Padres game from the roof. Hash A Go Go for breakfast the next day, then some breweries, then a hole in the wall Mexican place that a buddy recommended heavily (which I can't remember the name of), then bar hopping, then Bice, then clubs. On Sunday we'll grab some food and go home!

There are enough bars and lounges in the Gaslamp that I figure we can just wing most of the drinking parts of the trip. Any specifically that you recommend? I'm going to suggest Kaeptain's whiskey bar too.

That's great food right there.

Pikma

Banned

There are enough bars and lounges in the Gaslamp that I figure we can just wing most of the drinking parts of the trip. Any specifically that you recommend? I'm going to suggest Kaeptain's aaaaaàààaaàaaaawhiskey bar too.
I thought you'd get it :( someone screwed it up and wrote your username as Calamari42 in that PSN/GT/NNID doc. It was a reference to that

Bice really is dank as fuck, you won't regret it. Enjoy your Padres game, pretty cool that you're gonna watch them lose.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I thought you'll get it :( someone screwed it up and wrote your username as Calamari42 in that PSN/GT/NNID doc. It was a reference to that

Bice really is dank as fuck, you won't regret it. Enjoy your Padres game, pretty cool that you're gonna watch them lose.

Haha I did get it, that always throws me off every time the list gets posted.

Red_Man

Haven't listened to it yet, but where the fuck is Detox?!?!?!
This is Detox pretty much. He said on Beats radio last week he scrapped Detox because it was trash straight up.

Kendrick fucking goes on this, love it. Snoop too.

calder

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, and the Kane legal stuff is depressing enough to make me not want to bother looking back a few pages, but here's Pronman's Standouts and takeaways from 2016 world juniors camp.

This past week, I took in the evaluation camp for the top under-20 players for the United States, Sweden and Finland at Herb Brooks Arena.

While the evaluation process will continue into the coming season, there were several camp attendees that impressed immediately. The following are my observations from the camp, as well as highlights from my discussions with the dozens of notable hockey people in Lake Placid, New York.

Camp standouts

Mikko Rantanen, RW, Colorado Avalanche

With Colorado's head coach Patrick Roy watching from the stands during the tournament, Rantanen was flat-out dominant at times. His skating still worries me a little -- it's not bad, but he's quite average in that area -- but everything else really stood out. Rantanen was making high-end passes, deking defensemen, winning battles and digging pucks out of traffic. His body looks quite bulky, and overall he seems ready to compete in the North American pro game.

Paul Bittner, LW, Columbus Blue Jackets

Bittner never wowed anyone over the week, but he was solid in pretty much every game. "He's been consistent [in his strong play] and shown us a lot of speed, strength and versatility in his game" said USA Hockey's Jim Johansson, the general manager of the World Junior team. He pointed out that Bittner's size was another strong element of his toolkit. Bittner made you notice him, usually in a positive way, although he did get caught in a rare type of penalty where he played the puck while standing in the penalty box.

Brock Boeser, RW, Vancouver Canucks

Boeser's camp started off slow but his second half was very good. He's not an overly flashy player, but he's skilled, with a good two-way hockey sense and an elite shot, and he competes for pucks. "He plays well in tight spaces and thinks the game quickly. He's a perfect type of power forward in today's NHL," said one NHL executive. Boeser was selected in the first round by the Canucks in the most recent NHL entry draft.

Jeremy Bracco, RW, Toronto Maple Leafs

Bracco was excellent in the first half of camp, one of the very best players, but tailed off toward the end. I heard some scouts criticize his skating around the draft, potentially leading to a low-second-round selection, but to me he's a unique skater. His speed won't dazzle you, but it's above-average, and his edge work is elite. Bracco skates with solid speed while keeping his hips always turned toward center ice and the net. This makes him a nightmare to check because he'll beat guys to the outside, but if you try to close him, he's in position to make a pass. He was one of the best playmakers on the three teams, creating a ton of offense for his teammates.

Kyle Connor, LW, Winnipeg Jets

The Jets' first-round pick from a few weeks ago showed electric offensive ability. His skating, skill and hockey IQ allowed him to push the pace and make tough offensive plays in tight spaces. The differentiator between him and other players at his skill level is his high-tempo style and how well he'll drive the puck to dangerous areas. He will need to bulk up, though, to maintain that style as a pro.

Vili Saarijarvi, D, Detroit Red Wings

Saarijarvi stood out immediately, particularly as an underage defenseman, in how well he moves the puck. His offensive creativity and overall hockey IQ grade as plus. He was very dangerous with the man advantage, making difficult plays consistently. He's an undersized defender and I'm not too sure how he'll project in his own end, with the best case most likely slightly below average, but his offensive toolkit could carry him to being a quality player down the line.

Auston Matthews, C, 2016 draft eligible

Not surprisingly, Matthews, the projected first overall pick in 2016, was the top standout player at the camp. His puck skills are off the chart, and combining that talent with above-average size and a great work ethic makes him a nightmare to check. His puck protection skills are incredible, and every rush he makes is an adventure for opposing defensemen. Matthews told ESPN that he would make his decision about whether to play in Switzerland or the WHL shortly after the end of the U20 camp.

Scout buzz

Oliver Kylington, D, Calgary Flames

One player I had a few discussions about wasn't even at the camp, but he was on the Swedish U20 roster last year. "His omission here reflects the wide variance in opinions on him," said one NHL executive. "Either you love him or don't want to get near him." Kylington came into the season as a projected to be picked in the upper half of the first round, and was selected by Calgary at the end of the second round. He has signed and will play in North America this season.

Axel Holmstrom, C, Detroit Red Wings

This was one of the first events the 19-year-old Holmstrom attended since his incredible Swedish Hockey League playoffs, where he put up some of the best numbers ever by a teenager, with seven goals and 18 points in 15 games. "I think he's [become] a top-end prospect," said one scout. "His skating has never been great, but everything else about his game is high-end. On the power play, he's lethal." Another scout said, "Some nights during that playoff run he was the best player on Skelleftea [his SHL team]."

Colin White, C, Ottawa Senators

"I get why he slipped a little," said one scout, pointing to his lack of standout offensive skills, "but to me he was a top-15 player in the [2015] draft. He's Bergeron-esque in how he's always involved in little plays around the ice, always a positive factor." Another scout said, "He's very versatile, and the right kind of 'hard to play against,' meaning he works hard to win battles and is always around the puck."

Jacob Larsson, D, Anaheim Ducks

Larsson was the Ducks' first-rounder in 2015, and while he didn't blow people away here, plenty of people around the rink were high on him. "He's a big defenseman who can skate and move the puck," said one NHL executive. "Everyone will point to the tools, but to me what stands out is how he competes. He'll win pucks back, and then transition them, he just needs to get stronger," said another scout.

Chad Krys, D, 2016 draft eligible

Krys is one of the rare U18 defensemen to get an invite to this camp, which puts him on a list whose recent additions include names like Seth Jones, Justin Faulk, Jon Merrill and Ryan Suter. "He's great at everything," said one NHL scout. "His skating, vision, skill, two-way hockey sense are all great, he's just vertically challenged," a reference to his 5-foot-11 frame. While Krys has been competent defensively over his career, the talk among several NHL people at the camp is how well he'll be in his own end at that height.

Red_Man

What's the best early track? I want to add a couple to my playlist to listen to on my walk to work. I'll assume the one with Kendrick...
Deep Waters is my personal favourite right now, along with Genocide, One Shot One Kill, Darkside Gone, Animals

I really like the Eminem track Medicine Man, but a lot of people seem to be all over the place on it.

RC

Banned
Yo, this new Dre album.

*wheeeeeeeeeeew*

#Blessed

I guess I have to at least check it out.

Also Dr Dre hasn't released a good album since the original Chronic.

The Chronic 2001 is the most overatted rap album of the 90's.

calder

Deep Waters is my personal favourite right now, along with Genocide, One Shot One Kill, Darkside Gone, Animals

I really like the Eminem track Medicine Man, but a lot of people seem to be all over the place on it.

Sweet. I added Deep Waters and One Shot, One Kill because goddamn I love Snoop. I'll listen to the rest at some point, but I'm so ambivalent about Eminem in general I'll leave that one for now.

Red_Man

Sweet. I added Deep Waters and One Shot, One Kill because goddamn I love Snoop. I'll listen to the rest at some point, but I'm so ambivalent about Eminem in general I'll leave that one for now.
Best song Snoops done in a long time. I haven't enjoyed an Eminem song in years, I was pleasantly surprised by him on this.

Quick

Banned
This is Detox pretty much. He said on Beats radio last week he scrapped Detox because it was trash straight up.

Kendrick fucking goes on this, love it. Snoop too.

Damn it, Dre. I believed in Detox. Ah well, the wait is over. I'll check it out later. lol

I've been watching Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp. It's so fucking bizarre and I feel like I missed out on never going to camp.

Marguerite Moreau is still stunning. But damn it's jarring watching Michael Showalter.

Socreges

Banned
Wet Hot American Summer is worth watching for the cast alone

Really weird hearing Archer Sterling in the skin of H Jon Benjamin, though

Socreges

Banned
Auston Matthews, C, 2016 draft eligible

Not surprisingly, Matthews, the projected first overall pick in 2016, was the top standout player at the camp. His puck skills are off the chart, and combining that talent with above-average size and a great work ethic makes him a nightmare to check. His puck protection skills are incredible, and every rush he makes is an adventure for opposing defensemen. Matthews told ESPN that he would make his decision about whether to play in Switzerland or the WHL shortly after the end of the U20 camp.
giphy.gif

Quick

Banned
Wet Hot American Summer is worth watching for the cast alone

Really weird hearing Archer Sterling in the skin of H Jon Benjamin, though

Or Bob from Bob's Burgers. I haven't seen Archer, but since it's on Netflix, it's on my list of things to watch.

I actually watched Wet Hot American Summer to completion for the first time last night, so it's all still fresh in my mind. I only saw the movie in pieces previously. Seeing them in the show actually felt natural. Michael Showalter is the only one that looks really different from back in 2001, but he's still able to play Coop just fine.

Paul Rudd though. Has NOT aged at all.

calder

Best song Snoops done in a long time.

It really is, holy shit.

My nephew and niece are at a hockey camp in nowheresville right now, my brother sent me some pics of them with Mark Stone and Curt Lazar. My 10 year old niece referred to Lazar as "handsome" and then presumably asked aloud who that old guy with the Sens cap was with him, grandpa maybe?

Seriously, Stone looks ancient in the pic with the kids. Lazar looks like his child.

Parch

I can assure you that 28 other teams having little to no interest for Phil Kessel has anything to do with the Toronto media. The media bullshit is not a source NHL teams are going to use for player evaluation and value.

Top Bottom