• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT2| What are the Odds of Hockey in Vegas?

giphy.gif

You're gonna have to fight Boston for him. Good Luck friend

Well, that was quick:

"Hamburg police chief has brief statement on Kane investigation. Says department is awaiting results of forensic tests."

No questions were taken.

This is bizarre.

Samyy

CHL and the NCAA have started sweating. Really interesting to see how this will set precedent, he will be playing professionally rather than in a jr league and against men.

And making more money
I can see a lot of high-end prospects being intrigued by that option

The benefit also would be getting to skip the silly AHL restriction on CHL players which I'm sure NHL teams would like.

Quick

Banned
And making more money

The benefit also would be getting to skip the silly AHL restriction on CHL players which I'm sure NHL teams would like.

I didn't realize that it allows him to skip the AHL restriction.

All of this sounds good for him. I wonder why it was never explored by other players before.

Could a player drafted from a junior team jump to Europe instead of returning to the CHL?

MikeRahl

And making more money

I think this is going to end up similar to what happens in the NBA. Everyone is waiting for a mass exodus of top prospects to skip the one year of college (and maybe their senior year of high school) to go to Europe.

The issue is that the teams they are going to have no interest in grooming players for the NHL. It will probably benefit players to play 25 minutes a game for a team in the WHL like the Tips or the Wheat Kings that are going to go deep in the CHL playoffs than 10-15 minutes playing with Men.

Samyy

I didn't realize that it allows him to skip the AHL restriction.

All of this sounds good for him. I wonder why it was never explored by other players before.

Could a player drafted from a junior team jump to Europe instead of returning to the CHL?

Well, these kids are like 16-17 going into their draft year yeah? It must be tough to go to a complete different country, culture when such a popular traditional option is right there and playing on an international rink size would be an adjustment, then adjusting back after breaking into the AHL. There is also tradition that factors in I'm sure.

I feel like with European players jumping to the CHL its about getting more exposure and adjusting to the NA rink, which made sense so thats probably why that occured.

The second part though about the Junior -> Europe -> AHL not really too sure, but not sure why it couldn't happen. Don't know anything about what CHL "contracts" are like.

I think this is going to end up similar to what happens in the NBA. Everyone is waiting for a mass exodus of top prospects to skip the one year of college (and maybe their senior year of high school) to go to Europe.

The issue is that the teams they are going to have no interest in grooming players for the NHL. It will probably benefit players to play 25 minutes a game for a team in the WHL like the Tips or the Wheat Kings that are going to go deep in the CHL playoffs than 10-15 minutes playing with Men.

I suppose this is also true, but, I'm sure that stuff was discussed in the negotiations. He is already too good to play with his age group so this might give him more of a chance to elevate his skill level than playing in the OHL. Like McDavid could have easily played in the NHL last year, not sure what he gained by playing in the CHL last year, did he develop somehow? Not sure.

Another point is that Matthews missed this year's draft by a few days, he's pretty much the same age as Eichel and McDavid and both of them will be in the NHL this year, and he is at least as good if not better than Eichel. Going junior would have been a waste of time, in my opinion.

MikeRahl

I suppose this is also true, but, I'm sure that stuff was discussed in the negotiations. He is already too good to play with his age group so this might give him more of a chance to elevate his skill level than playing in the OHL. Like McDavid could have easily played in the NHL last year, not sure what he gained by playing in the CHL last year, did he develop somehow? Not sure.

Another point is that Matthews missed this year's draft by a few days, he's pretty much the same age as Eichel and McDavid and both of them will be in the NHL this year, and he is at least as good if not better than Eichel. Going junior would have been a waste of time, in my opinion.

I suppose there is probably something to be said about being 'the guy' on a team. I don't imagine his development will be hurt, and it might actually help him defensively.

The same thing is going to happen with Nolan Patrick in 2017, he is a middle birthday in September and most people already have him ranked #1 in that draft. He already has a deep run in the playoffs under his belt (15 points in 19 games), the Wheat Kings are favorites this year and will probably go far in his draft year. That team is stacked as well (at least 1 player in the U17 Canada Camp, 3 players MADE the U18 Canada Team and 2 players are at the Early U20 camp).

Parch

Going junior would have been a waste of time, in my opinion.
I don't think it's a waste of time. The CHL isn't some kid's rec league, it's a pretty high level of hockey focusing on development. Going to some lousy club in a B-grade Euro league isn't necessarily going to be better for his development, and just because these leagues have "men" doesn't mean it's a high level of hockey. Even the KHL gets questioned as being elite when their supposed best players come to the NHL and stink up the joint.

If it isn't going to be the NHL, the best league for young players is the CHL. That's why so many young Europeans want to come and play in the CHL. It's the best league to prep for the NHL. Deciding to play in Europe just because they can make a few bucks could be an extremely bad decision.

Socreges

Banned
Those as yet unsubstantiated rumors and hearsay regarding Patrick T. Kane, who at this juncture remains entirely innocent and is deserving of fair and unprejudiced treatment unlike Semyon Varlamov received... are quite juicy...I can't believe Kane would do that!
Alright we get it

zroid

Banned
The main reason Europeans come to the CHL is to get noticed by scouts. Matthews doesn't benefit from the exposure at all, he's getting picked top 3 in the draft guaranteed. Great decision by him, he gets to live a year in Europe, and be paid the big bucks (relatively speaking). Then he can even spend a year seasoning in the AHL instead of going straight into the show if needed. That is arguably the best for his development and his NHL team since they won't burn a year of his ELC when they're hot garbage.

Quick

Banned
I don't think it's a waste of time. The CHL isn't some kid's rec league, it's a pretty high level of hockey focusing on development. Going to some lousy club in a B-grade Euro league isn't necessarily going to be better for his development, and just because these leagues have "men" doesn't mean it's a high level of hockey. Even the KHL gets questioned as being elite when their supposed best players come to the NHL and stink up the joint.

If it isn't going to be the NHL, the best league for young players is the CHL. That's why so many young Europeans want to come and play in the CHL. It's the best league to prep for the NHL. Deciding to play in Europe just because they can make a few bucks could be an extremely bad decision.

You've just ignored other prospects that have developed in European leagues that have been drafted.

Not all first round draft picks have to be put in the NHL immediately. European prospects have the advantage of being able to move between their Euro club or the AHL.

I'm still wavering and feel good that I am.

I'll probably finally get one when Kingdom hearts or FF comes out and then sigh when they both suck.

So far: The menus are infuriating. I can't believe people say they prefer this mess to the XBONE OS. PSN is also super slow.

Fucking hate the Xbox OS, it takes about a minute to pull up a party. Hopefully the Windows 10 update helps that. I don't have a PS4, but that looked pretty bad too.

Quick

Banned
The PS4 menu is a lot better than the PS3's. But I do agree that it can be infuriating at times to sift through menus within menus.

PSN speeds have never been an issue with me, but only because I don't really pay attention to it downloading. Huge improvement over PS3 has definitely been background downloading while playing games.

Samyy

IMO you need a direct connection, wi-fi is not so good on the PS4, at least for me.
Everything got dramatically better when I just plugged it in.

Quick

Banned
IMO you need a direct connection, wi-fi is not so good on the PS4, at least for me.

My router and modem are unfortunately too far from where my PS4 and PS3 is to do this. Definitely can't beat a wired connection vs. wi-fi.

Samyy

My router and modem are unfortunately too far from where my PS4 and PS3 is to do this. Definitely can't beat a wired connection vs. wi-fi.

Mine is literally right beside it, but the speeds like more then doubled after plugging in. Kinda insane, not sure what the hell is causing it.

Socreges

Banned
You have quite a nasty habit of reading into things.
Was just having a bit of fun with you, friend

I'm still wavering and feel good that I am.

I'll probably finally get one when Kingdom hearts or FF comes out and then sigh when they both suck.
One thing that puts me off is the cost of games. Even once I get the system, buying Bloodbourne and MGSV would cost over $150...that's fucking absurd.

Is there going to be a MGSV bundle, actually? That'd be nice.

Yeah, I just did that and wow, the difference was pretty stark. I have a really good wifi router, too.

Yes, I know I should have tried that first, I just moved into a new house and had done an experiment in having drops put in. First time messing around with switches and I hit a technical snag. Didn't want to spend the ten minutes I just did to fix it.

As inelegant the Wii U 'channels' are (basically aping the iOS grid) it's very functional and efficient.

Everything seems to get buried somewhere in the PS4 menu system.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Anyone of you Toronto people going to see the free Roots show tomorrow? I'll be in town for the weekend and I'm going to hit it up

Samyy

Yeah, I just did that and wow, the difference was pretty stark. I have a really good wifi router, too.

Yes, I know I should have tried that first, I just moved into a new house and had done an experiment in having drops put in. First time messing around with switches and I hit a technical snag. Didn't want to spend the ten minutes I just did to fix it.

Meh nah I don't think we should be checking direct connections anymore man it's 2015 this shit should work well! I would have never checked but it was getting too damn frustrating.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Jakob Silfverberg has been signed to a 4 year contract!

OOOH AAAH motherfuckers.

$3.75 AAV

For half-a-million more (and trade assets) you could have had Brandon Sutter!

I'm jelly. Silfverberg's a hell of a player and that's a great contract.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Anyone of you Toronto people going to see the free Roots show tomorrow? I'll be in town for the weekend and I'm going to hit it up

Oh wow first I'm hearing of this.

I'm going to a Beer Festival tomorrow so depending when that kicks off I might try to come out...or I might pass out on a couch when I remember I'm not as young as I used to be.

The world is my oyster

Top Bottom