• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT2| What are the Odds of Hockey in Vegas?

Its behind the insider thing but the Montreal prospects are:

42) Hudon
81) Juulsen
83) Scherbak
89) Reway

Pronman excludes anyone who has played more than 25 games at the NHL level which is why Derrick Pouliot was also excluded.

God Hudon is going be Awesome. I hope we bring him up sooner or later

Samyy

You forgot Kapanen at 29 :(

Full Leafs rankings:

4) Mitch Marner
6) William Nylander (Ritchie @ 55 lol)
29) Kasperi Kapanen
39) Jeremy Bracco
72) Connor Brown
77) Andreas Johnson
84) Scott Harrington
97) Brandon Leipsic

Someone give us D prospects pls

Pikma

Banned
Did something specific happen today, or are you just talking about the downward spiral that's been going on for a while?
Nothing new as a whole but some new details about the situation with Kojima did show up today. It's horribly disgusting but if there's something positive about it is that more people are getting to know Konami's true face.

Delryk

65d69d00-403b-11e5-ad95-ed5c7f0d7849_CMHaE6cWEAA-rvl.jpg

Happy birthday Dastardly and Marvie :3

I don't really watch baseball but I'm glad for all the attention the Jays are getting now. Poor team has been shit on for what feels like forever in this city. I never really understood the logic against bandwagon fans in the first place. Some might drop the game, but some might stay and still follow; no fan should hate that their team's fanbase grows. The need to feel better than others, I guess.

eyeless

might as well post pronman's list what else is going on
1. Connor McDavid, C, Edmonton Oilers Age: 18 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 194 | 2014-15 team: Erie (OHL) Previous ranking: Not eligible

McDavid is the best prospect since Sidney Crosby, some people even refer to him as McJesus. His skating, offensive skill, hockey sense and intangibles are all off the chart. We've written extensively about what makes him great over the last year. He'll step into the NHL right away as an above-average regular, and projects to be an elite NHL forward.

2. Jack Eichel, C, Buffalo Sabres Age: 18 | Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 196 | 2014-15 team: Boston Univ. (Hockey East) Previous ranking: Not eligible

Eichel had one of the best seasons ever by a college freshman, including an extremely impressive showing at the World Championships for an 18-year-old. He's a total package. Eichel is big, with elite skill, creativity and vision to couple with very good speed. He's also a reliable defensive player who can line up versus good forwards and retrieve the puck. Eichel has the ability to control a game and tilt the ice heavily in his team's favor, at times making it look easy.

3. Sam Reinhart, C, Buffalo Sabres Age: 19 | Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 190 | 2014-15 team: Kootenay (WHL) Previous ranking: 5

Reinhart didn't stick in the NHL this past season, and his production in the WHL as a 19-year-old didn't wow anyone, but there is zero doubt in my mind he's an elite prospect. Reinhart's hockey IQ is off the charts, as his vision, anticipation and two-way understanding of the game generates so much value on a shift-to-shift basis. He's a very skilled playmaker, who may not be the biggest or the fastest, but he'll create a lot of offense while lining up against the opponent's best players. Eichel and Reinhart could be a deadly combo down the middle for years due to their versatility -- there's no matchup either of them can't handle.

4. Mitch Marner, C, Toronto Maple Leafs Age: 18 | Ht: 5-11 | Wt: 161 | 2014-15 team: London (OHL) Previous ranking: Not eligible

Marner was absolutely dominant offensively in the OHL, generating grade-A scoring chances with consistency and was among the top OHL scorers for most of the season. His puck skills, vision and creativity are elite. Marner skates very well, and while he's not the biggest or bulkiest player, he works hard and his hockey IQ somewhat translates to his defense too. There is some risk on his physical progression, but he also has the potential to be an elite scorer in the NHL.

5. Sam Bennett, C, Calgary Flames Age: 19 | Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 181 | 2014-15 team: Kingston (OHL) Previous ranking: 3

Bennett's season went off the rails when he injured his shoulder, but he came back strong in Kingston and in the NHL playoffs. He's a fantastic all-around player. He imposes himself on a game due to his speed, hands and hockey IQ. Bennett can create chances out of nothing, set up his teammates, and win battles that lead to positive plays for his team. His talent and work ethic make him very dangerous, and as he showed at the end of the season, he'll have no issues as he bulks up with the NHL physical game.

6. William Nylander, LW, Toronto Maple Leafs Age: 19 | Ht: 5-11 | Wt: 192 | 2014-15 team: Toronto (AHL) Previous ranking: 4

After a bit of a bumpy draft season, Nylander had a fantastic 18-year-old season. His production in the SHL was among the very best by a player his age in recent memory -- he was very good at the World Juniors and in the AHL. He's a dynamic puck-carrying threat with the speed, skill and vision to make very tough offensive plays. His all-around play still has to come, but teams try to get him the puck when he's on the ice because he keeps control away from the opposition.

7. Dylan Strome, C, Arizona Coyotes Age: 18 | Ht: 6-3 | Wt: 185 | 2014-15 team: Erie (OHL) Previous ranking: Not eligible

On his way to become the third overall pick by the Coyotes, Strome led the OHL in scoring this season as a U18. He's one of the best pure playmakers outside the NHL, with incredible hockey sense and poise with the puck. He also has a large frame and the unique combo of size and skill that No.1 centers are known to have. His skating and off-the-puck play are the only real flaws in his game. Strome is one of, if not the best, Coyotes prospect the franchise has drafted during its short time in the desert.

8. Noah Hanifin, D, Carolina Hurricanes Age: 18 | Ht: 6-3 | Wt: 203 | 2014-15 team: Boston College (Hockey East) Previous ranking: Not eligible

Hanifin is a truly outstanding defense prospect, and the top one at his position on my NHL prospect board. He's an elite skater and one of the most mobile defenders you will see at his size. He moves the puck well, can be a force jumping into the rush, and as well his above-average hockey sense allows him to be effective defensively too. Hanifin could be a little tougher on his checks, but for the most he gets check marks in all the important areas, and projects as a top-of-the-lineup defenseman.

9. Nikolaj Ehlers, LW, Winnipeg Jets Age: 19 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 176 | 2014-15 team: Halifax (QMJHL) Previous ranking: 6

Ehlers is a joy to watch, in part because he's this guy on skates. His acceleration and top speed are simply explosive, and he combines that with elite offensive hockey sense, and a real flair with the puck. Ehlers has dominated the QMJHL over the last two seasons, and even as a slight forward, he's knocking on the door to the NHL due to his immense talent base. He may not be a top penalty killer ever on the Jets, but he'll be feared by NHL defensemen.

10. Dylan Larkin, C, Detroit Red Wings Age: 19 | Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 190 | 2014-15 team: Michigan (Big Ten) Previous ranking: 99

Larkin had a simply fantastic season. He was a dominant two-way player as a freshman at Michigan, one of the top players at the World Juniors, earned an invite to USA's World Championship team and played top-six minutes in the AHL -- all in his first season after being drafted. Larkin is an explosive skater with above-average hands, very good all-around hockey sense, and a great motor. He's not a super flashy player, but he's super effective every shift. His combination of size and speed is a handful for defensemen to contain.

11. Kevin Fiala, LW, Nashville Predators Age: 19 | Ht: 5-10 | Wt: 187 | 2014-15 team: Milwaukee (AHL) Previous ranking: 7

Fiala turned heads for a second consecutive season in the Swedish Hockey League, had a strong World Juniors, and then crossed the pond, playing very well in the AHL as an 18-year-old. He's a dynamic all-around offensive player, with high-end speed, hands, vision and shot. Despite his smaller stature and lack of bulk, he's also shown improvements in his defensive play that makes you think he could be adequate in that area in the NHL one day. Fiala made a brief appearance in the NHL last season, and will push for more ice time.

12. Max Domi, C, Arizona Coyotes Age: 20 | Ht: 5-10 | Wt: 198 | 2014-15 team: London (OHL) Previous ranking: 27

Domi has shown flashes in the past of being an elite prospect, but legitimized himself into that type of player this season. He's a fantastic skater, puck-handler, playmaker and a workhorse who despite his small stature was consistently dominant at the OHL and U20 levels. Domi's defense isn't his strong suit but also showed remarkable improvements over the past 12 months, often being leaned on in tough defensive situations.

13. Mathew Barzal, C, New York Islanders Age: 18 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 181 | 2014-15 team: Seattle (WHL) Previous ranking: Not eligible

Barzal surprisingly slipped to the 16th overall pick to the Islanders this summer, but in my mind, he's no doubt a top-end prospect. Barzal is an electric offensive talent whose puck skills, hockey IQ and agility all get very high grades. He makes unique plays happen, and when he has the puck Barzal seems to control the flow of the offense. He's not an overly effective player in the physical game but he does decent in that area. He ended the season with an exclamation mark, dominating the World Under 18s.

14. Pavel Buchnevich, LW, New York Rangers Age: 20 | Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 176 | 2014-15 team: Cherepovets (KHL) Previous ranking: 25

Buchnevich's 18- and 19-year-old seasons have been some of the very best in the history of the KHL, showing he can play versus men at a high level in the world's second-best league. He's a winger with great puck skills, impressive hockey sense and above-average speed. He has size to couple with that and while he's bulked up a fair amount, some more could help before he hits the NHL. Buchy is not a complete prospect, but he's consistently dangerous offensively. He should be in the NHL in 2016-17, or as a potential late season add after his KHL season ends.

15. Robby Fabbri, C, St. Louis Blues Age: 19 | Ht: 5-10 | Wt: 170 | 2014-15 team: Guelph (OHL) Previous ranking: 35

I was slightly hesitant to bump Fabbri up from the "very good" to the elite group of prospects due to his size, but he's just been so impressive over the last 12 months that I gave in. He's an offensive force who despite his stature brings 100 perent effort on all his shifts. He's a very good skater, and his offensive creativity is top-end as well. Fabbri nearly made the Blues out of camp, only to go back and dominate the OHL and impress as an underage player on Canada's U20 team. Don't be surprised if he's full time for the Blues out of the gates.
whole list here

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
As a Canucks fan, its tough to see Nylander and Ehlers ranked so high.

Still some nice bits on Canucks prospects:

27. Jake Virtanen, RW, Vancouver Canucks Age: 18 | Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 207 | 2014-15 team: Calgary (WHL) Previous ranking: 26
Virtanen's season certainly was concerning at times, but he certainly performs at a very high level as an 18-year-old. Between his tools and potential, he remains a pretty desirable prospect. His skating is one of the best outside the NHL, he plays the game hard, has a great shot, and above-average hands. His hockey IQ may never dazzle anyone, and maybe he makes his living in the NHL just going north to south, but he's very good at particular parts of the game.

69. Brock Boeser, RW, Vancouver Canucks Age: 18 | Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 192 | 2014-15 team: Waterloo (USHL) Previous ranking: Not eligible
Boeser was one of the top offensive players in the USHL this season, and just recently turned heads with a very impressive U20 camp at Lake Placid. He's a strong power winger with an above-average skill level, and great all-around hockey IQ. His shot is elite, and when he gets a chance to wind up a one-timer from any distance it is a dangerous scoring chance. Boeser's main issue is his skating, as he doesn't generate a ton of power in his stride. He projects as an all-situations player in the NHL.

74. Hunter Shinkaruk, LW, Vancouver Canucks Age: 20 | Ht: 5-11 | Wt: 179 | 2014-15 team: Utica (AHL) Previous ranking: 31
I had many questions about Shinkaruk coming into the season and I'm still confused about whether he's a great or simply fine prospect. His first pro season was very up and down. On his best game, he's a dynamic playmaker who is unique in terms of his agility and creativity. However, he also disappears for long stretches, with major issues in terms of his physical game and defense.

I've always been a big Shinkaruk fan, and I'm getting quite excited by what Boeser brings to the table.

http://deadspin.com/report-accuser-only-went-to-patrick-kanes-house-to-acc-1723844985

“They were at SkyBar, and Kane invited them to his home. Her friend really wanted to go to Kane’s house, and she didn’t want her friend to go there alone,” a friend of the woman told The Buffalo News. “It wasn’t her idea to go there.”

Two other sources who are familiar with the Kane rape allegation – a law enforcement official and a member of Buffalo’s legal community – gave similar information to The News about what led the alleged victim to go to Kane’s residence.

The woman who allegedly was raped at Kane’s home was not the woman who wanted to go there, the law enforcement official said.

So apparently the victim was just a friend of the person that actually wanted to go.

Cross posting from off topic thread.

I've always been a big Shinkaruk fan, and I'm getting quite excited by what Boeser brings to the table.

I'm excited about Boeser, especially as a late first-round pick. Skating was one of Horvat's concerns when he was drafted, and seeing how he flies now I'm hoping Boeser will end up the same.

Virtanen I hope pans out, but I agree seeing Nylander and Ehlers up there makes me sad.

eyeless

the blurb about bracco is nice, nice to see that quote
39. Jeremy Bracco, RW, Toronto Maple Leafs Age: 18 | Ht: 5-10 | Wt: 165 | 2014-15 team: USNTDP (USHL) Previous ranking: Not eligible

Bracco ended up being selected 61st overall despite one of the best seasons ever by an NTDP player. Sure he's very small, but he's dynamic and skates well -- with good speed and elite edge work. His skill/hockey sense IQ is also high-end. Bracco, despite his size, has frequently shown he's an effective defensive player and a shorthanded threat. One quote from a Michigan-based scout stood out to me on Bracco this year: "I've watched nearly every game of his for the past two years; I don't remember one bad one. He's remarkably consistent."
btw i don't like the word blurb

Socreges

Banned

We all knew even then that pick was a mistake.

It's OK, though. Once we get Mathews all draft fuckups will be forgotten.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
We all knew even then that pick was a mistake.

It's OK, though. Once we get Mathews all draft fuckups will be forgotten.

My co-workers thought I was nuts because I was yelling at Benning through the TV screen to pick Ehlers instead of Virtanen. I'll admit that I underestimated Nylander, though. I wasn't too high on him at the time.

yyzjohn

Banned
It feels nice to have some half-decent prospects for once

A year and a half ago all we had was sheep, shit, and loneliness, oh and Freddie the Goat.

Hopefully Nylander makes it. He's already got thousands of potential celebration gifs from Joffrey game of thrones pics alone.

games-recap-ep10-8.gif

Top Bottom