• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT2| What are the Odds of Hockey in Vegas?

Quick

Banned
Mate, I can't stop buying CEs. I have a problem.

I had this problem before, but one day, I just looked at all the CE stuff I had and realized that most CEs are pretty shitty.

I still buy physical games, but I avoid CEs for the most part. Last one I actually bought was The Last of Us. Came with an awesome art book.

Pikma

Banned
That sucks Pikna. My German Shepard is 15 years old and I am waiting for the inevitable :(

I wish you both all the best, please take care of him and enjoy the time you spend with him.

I just lost my 14 years old boxer, who was like a brother to me, a month and a week ago. It broke my heart and a part of me left with him, and I do miss him a lot, but it was to be expected because well, you can't beat time. This thing we're going through right now though is totally different and completely unfair, life shouldn't be like this.

Edit: Thank you all for your kind words, love you guys.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yahoo with another garbage list

The NHL’s top 25 left wingers in 2015-16:

6. Nick Foligno, Columbus: A goal-scoring, bodychecking piece of work who leads by example for the up-and-coming Blue Jackets.

7. Max Pacioretty, Montreal: Another power forward who sets the tone for his team with his hitting and scoring ways.

How do people get paid to write this stuff? They also have him above Zetterberg

Edit: Sorry to hear that Pikma, losing a pet is never easy.

zroid

Banned
I had this problem before, but one day, I just looked at all the CE stuff I had and realized that most CEs are pretty shitty.

I still buy physical games, but I avoid CEs for the most part. Last one I actually bought was The Last of Us. Came with an awesome art book.

I know this runs counter to the point of CEs (cash cows for publishers), but I would really like it if it were more common practise to release CEs at a small premium ($10-20) with just one or two bonuses. You get something cool and exclusive without having to empty your bank account and clutter up your room too much.

Some of my favourite CEs in recent memory were the Majora's Mask 3D and Wind Waker HD CEs, sold at a $10 premium each, and had nice Skull Kid and Ganondorf figures respectively. Bravely Default, also $10 more, had a nice looking box, an art book, a soundtrack, and a deck of cards. Mass Effect 3 was another great one. $20 for (actually good) DLC, a steelbook, an art book, and a couple other trinkets.

I'm just not going to pay $80-100 extra or whatever for a bunch of useless crap.

Marvie_3

Banned
I know this runs counter to the point of CEs (cash cows for publishers), but I would really like it if it were more common practise to release CEs at a small premium ($10-20) with just one or two bonuses. You get something cool and exclusive without having to empty your bank account and clutter up your room too much.

Some of my favourite CEs in recent memory were the Majora's Mask 3D and Wind Waker HD CEs, sold at a $10 premium each, and had nice Skull Kid and Ganondorf figures respectively. Bravely Default, also $10 more, had a nice looking box, an art book, a soundtrack, and a deck of cards. Mass Effect 3 was another great one. $20 for (actually good) DLC, a steelbook, an art book, and a couple other trinkets.

I'm just not going to pay $80-100 extra or whatever for a bunch of useless crap.
The Skull Kid figure is fucking cool. I wish I had gotten the Wind Waker CE. Didnt have a Wii U at the time though so I passed on it.

Quick

Banned
Yahoo with another garbage list

How do people get paid to write this stuff? They also have him above Zetterberg

Edit: Sorry to hear that Pikma, losing a pet is never easy.

lol Foligno higher than Patches, Zetterberg, Steen, Schwartz, Landeskog, JVR, etc.

What in the fuck.

I'm not wholly against CEs, but I just wish companies made an effort on quality.

Worst CE I bought has to be Resistance 2. Shitty Chimera figure, shitty and small art book, a blu-ray that contains special features that really should just be packed with the game, and an exclusive game cover.

Infamous 2 was cool because it came with Cole's bag, a mini-comic and a figure. The figure was meh, the bag had plenty of use from me. But the only people I've seen with the bag are fedoras.

Uncharted 3's CE was neat, but ultimately useless. It came in a cool packaging, but the belt buckle and necklace wouldn't be something I'd wear. The figure actually looked okay, but ultimately the same quality as Infamous 2's CE figure.

The Last of Us was awesome because it was simple. A full fledged art book that's exclusive for some time to the CE (it came out standalone later on), an issue of TLOU: American Dreams, and a steelbook. This was probably for an extra $15-20.

Random CE I own is Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Steelbook and some exclusive DLC. I should probably trade this in, but I keep thinking that someone's gonna want to buy it off me someday. :lol

I played a ton of the game for the first 5-7 months. I burnt out so hard I haven't touched a single RTS since then and honestly don't think I ever will.

I usually only play campaigns, so I wanted to wait for the expansions to be out, I'll finally be able to play!

Giggzy

I can't hold on to all of these players.gif

Our depth is just amazing. I can't wait to lose in game 7 in the SCF this year.

PROGRESSION.

Miss you all. Hope you bros are enjoying your summer!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I've thankfully got of the CE train for the most part. Like to go all digital. I will likely get the Halo LE. I have no more room.of statues. Would much rather have a nice artbook.

Revenant

I would like a game to come with some sort of collectors edition in which part of it is a voucher to have someone come and collect some of the generally stupid garbage I've accumulated over the years. Seriously, I've actually been cleaning and downsizing my belongings and its like a mystical roadmap of my own personal shame

Now who wants this sick Korn CD?

some old game informer magazines?

How about this Sergei Berezin Hawks Jersey I have signed by Tuomo Ruutu and Steve Poapst?(Sorry Marvie)

kill me.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I would like a game to come with some sort of collectors edition in which part of it is a voucher to have someone come and collect some of the generally stupid garbage I've accumulated over the years. Seriously, I've actually been cleaning and downsizing my belongings and its like a mystical roadmap of my own personal shame

How about this Sergei Berezin Hawks Jersey I have signed by Tuomo Ruutu and Steve Poapst?(Sorry Marvie)

kill me.

Lol,.i already got rid of my sick Korn cd and almost all my gaming mags.

Quick

Banned
I had a small collection of Maxim magazines, a Beyoncè Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition, and a GQ issue with Jessica Alba.

beyonce_in_sportsillustrated.jpeg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpeg

51j7vvBd7sL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

And some Game Informers, too. lol

Red_Man

I used to subscribe to OXM when they had the demo discs included with the magazine. I got so pumped back then, that's how I played shit like Voodoo Vince, Crimson Skies, Splinter Cell, Otogi, Ninja Gaiden, Soul Calibour, etc..... I remember the Halo 2 E3 demo being on one of them too. The excitement I got from gaming then is something I don't find anymore.

Revenant

Lol,.i already got rid of my sick Korn cd and almost all my gaming mags.

I like to think there was a "sick korn cd" inside of us all at one time schuey, it was a simpler time, an angsty-er time of power chords and voice drops and letting the world know you weren't gonna take shit from it, until you were a functioning adult and could open your jaw wide enough to let someone pour a dump truck load directly into your mouth for a respectable salary.

I used to subscribe to OXM when they had the demo discs included with the magazine. I got so pumped back then, that's how I played shit like Voodoo Vince, Crimson Skies, Splinter Cell, Otogi, Ninja Gaiden, Soul Calibour, etc..... I remember the Halo 2 E3 demo being on one of them too. The excitement I got from gaming then is something I don't find anymore.

over 2 years out of college, working a desk job and despite what game I buy I never seem to get more than 2 hours into any game anymore. Even if I like it. Whenever a friend asks me about a game they know I have I usually just rate the menu screen for them. "I can't tell you much about the witcher 3's open world but boy golly just wait to you see the menu font, it's truly genre defining."

Marvie_3

Banned

kill me.
I would wear the hell out of that Berezin jersey. Dude scored like 90 goals in one season for me in NHL 2K3

Agreed on the random shit you find when youre downsizing. Ive been do that for a few days and theres been a lot of weird shit that ive found.

Red_Man

over 2 years out of college, working a desk job and despite what game I buy I never seem to get more than 2 hours into any game anymore. Even if I like it. Whenever a friend asks me about a game they know I have I usually just rate the menu screen for them. "I can't tell you much about the witcher 3's open world but boy golly just wait to you see the menu font, it's truly genre defining."
This is pretty much where I am. I bought the new Witcher because everyone's raving about it and I know I should love it, but I haven't been able to play it for more than 30 minutes. The only game I can play consistently is NHL and that's only because of my love for hockey. I hate it because I used to love gaming so much, but it just doesn't grab me anymore.

Quick

Banned
League might be testing ads on jerseys during the World Cup.

https://twitter.com/rwesthead/status/633442214258061312

Several team execs say they expect the NHL will use the World Cup of Hockey to test the waters for ads on jerseys.

I really hope Adidas' involvement will only be replacing the Reebok branding on jerseys. Their sports jersey history is pretty spotty.

They are the reason for these abominations making their way to the NBA.

02.11.13_adidasPC_1.jpg

And their NCAA football jerseys have been really hit-or-miss.

Red_Man

Ads on jerseys are inevitable. We just have to enjoy our jerseys without Pepsi ads on them while we still have them.

Quick

Banned
Ads on jerseys are inevitable. We just have to enjoy our jerseys without Pepsi ads on them while we still have them.

I don't doubt this at all. It's gonna happen. But I'd rather not have it happen.

If it does, I hope it isn't to the "no fucks given" European leagues have done to their jerseys.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
There was period when I was younger and out of university I slowed/stopped playing games, but the love came back. I just have a better balance now.

Generally I would still rather play a good game then watch a mediocre movie or tv show. Speaking of TV, Mr.Robot is great.

Revenant

This is pretty much where I am. I bought the new Witcher because everyone's raving about it and I know I should love it, but I haven't been able to play it for more than 30 minutes. The only game I can play consistently is NHL and that's only because of my love for hockey. I hate it because I used to love gaming so much, but it just doesn't grab me anymore.

You gonna get Halo 5? I know I am, but part of me knows the fate that awaits it on my shelf after the first day or two its out.

Red_Man

You gonna get Halo 5? I know I am, but part of me knows the fate that awaits it on my shelf after the first day or two its out.
I'm obligated, but I just know I'm going to beat the campaign in 5 hours, then play 2 hours of MP before I never play it again, just like I did with Halo 4. If they actually fix the MP, I might stick around. I played Reach MP until H4 came out, then H4 crushed whatever hopes I had of a next gen Halo that had great MP.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of gaming magazines, I still have all my old Nintendo Powers and GamePro's from like 1989-1997 or 98. They're all my parents house stored in some magazine boxes so they won't get all messed up. I love flipping through them every few years. The ads are so fucking awesome and all the artwork is hand drawn.

Revenant

I would wear the hell out of that Berezin jersey. Dude scored like 90 goals in one season for me in NHL 2K3

Agreed on the random shit you find when youre downsizing. Ive been do that for a few days and theres been a lot of weird shit that ive found.

I might as well wear it. I don't think anyone is buying that hot item.

I thought going through everything would somehow make me feel better. It's like I'm taking a bath while pouring a bucket of shame and regret on myself.

I just found some high school yearbooks though, finally I can gaze back into the abyss of high school rev and watch it stare back.

I'm obligated, but I just know I'm going to beat the campaign in 5 hours, then play 2 hours of MP before I never play it again, just like I did with Halo 4. If they actually fix the MP, I might stick around. I played Reach MP until H4 came out, then H4 crushed whatever hopes I had of a next gen Halo that had great MP.

I'm picturing the same for me but if you're in need of a multiplayer partner I'm your man. I can't promise I'll be sober but I'll bring my charming personality that we all know fondly from the golden neogaf EASHL years.

seriously though, hopefully we have a few other NHL GAFers who buy it, I wouldn't mind partying with a rag tag group from this community for some team slayer.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Speaking of gaming magazines, I still have all my old Nintendo Powers and GamePro's from like 1989-1997 or 98. They're all my parents house stored in some magazine boxes so they won't get all messed up. I love flipping through them every few years. The ads are so fucking awesome and all the artwork is hand drawn.

Same here, I have all of those plus all of the EGMs from that time period (up to the early 2000s, too). Great memories randomly going through some every now and then, especially from those earliest years when those magazines were my sole source of gaming news/reviews.

Heretic

Those were the days :'(

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I might as well wear it. I don't think anyone is buying that hot item.

I thought going through everything would somehow make me feel better. It's like I'm taking a bath while pouring a bucket of shame and regret on myself.

I just found some high school yearbooks though, finally I can gaze back into the abyss of high school rev and watch it stare back.

I'm picturing the same for me but if you're in need of a multiplayer partner I'm your man. I can't promise I'll be sober but I'll bring my charming personality that we all know fondly from the golden neogaf EASHL years.

seriously though, hopefully we have a few other NHL GAFers who buy it, I wouldn't mind partying with a rag tag group from this community for some team slayer.

I'll likely be down for some Halo 5 MP. Curious about Warzone.

Revenant

I'll likely be down for some Halo 5 MP. Curious about Warzone.

Cool! Warzone seems like a neat concept though I'm sure 343 industries will hear no end of it if it doesn't catch on judging by some of the halo threads I've seen here. I'll admit that dropping of local split screen hurt my soul a bit. I get the decision, but man my friends and I have racked a lot of mileage up over the years with that feature.

zroid

Banned

all my Nintendo Powers from like 1998-2005 are still lined up on a shelf in my room so you can see the spine artwork come together

that was the coolest thing :D

Red_Man

You're still on the X1? I'd be down to try and set up some games with some guys in here, it would be more fun losing to you guys then to a 13 year old telling me he fucked my mom. Impressions so far seem to be positive, but I don't trust Bungie anymore. OG Halo MP is still one of the best gaming experiences of my life, so I hope they get back to that formula.

Revenant

You're still on the X1? I'd be down to try and set up some games with some guys in here, it would be more fun losing to you guys then to a 13 year old telling me he fucked my mom. Impressions so far seem to be positive, but I don't trust Bungie anymore. OG Halo MP is still one of the best gaming experiences of my life, so I hope they get back to that formula.

Yea I defintely wasn't gonna say that.........about.......your mom, or anything like tha- ANYWAY yea I have an X1 and a PS4 because I don't know why but they're both here and they're great netflix machines.

And don't worry Bungie can't hurt you anymore(well when it comes to halo). But 343 Industries, they'll hurt you so good

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
League might be testing ads on jerseys during the World Cup.

https://twitter.com/rwesthead/status/633442214258061312

I really hope Adidas' involvement will only be replacing the Reebok branding on jerseys. Their sports jersey history is pretty spotty.

They are the reason for these abominations making their way to the NBA.

02.11.13_adidasPC_1.jpg

And their NCAA football jerseys have been really hit-or-miss.

The NBC Sports article I saw earlier today about the Adidas jerseys suggested that they may be considering introducing their own branding as a trojan horse for advertising on gear.

That is, incorporating things like the Adidas stripes into jersey templates.

Red_Man

Yea I defintely wasn't gonna say that.........about.......your mom, or anything like tha- ANYWAY yea I have an X1 and a PS4 because I don't know why but they're both here and they're great netflix machines.

And don't worry Bungie can't hurt you anymore. But 343 Industries, they'll hurt you so good
Bungie, 343, same shit. I don't know if I was more disappointed in the CODifying of H4 MP or the overall game of Destiny.

Top Bottom