• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT2| What are the Odds of Hockey in Vegas?

Heretic

You're still on the X1? I'd be down to try and set up some games with some guys in here, it would be more fun losing to you guys then to a 13 year old telling me he fucked my mom. Impressions so far seem to be positive, but I don't trust 343i anymore. OG Halo MP is still one of the best gaming experiences of my life, so I hope they get back to that formula.

Fixed

Frankie won't let me down again! I'm down for some H5 lovin' with you studs.

Bungie, 343, same shit. I don't know if I was more disappointed in the CODifying of H4 MP or the overall game of Destiny.

Yup. It hurts...

Quick

Banned
The NBC Sports article I saw earlier today about the Adidas jerseys suggested that they may be considering introducing their own branding as a trojan horse for advertising on gear.

That is, incorporating things like the Adidas stripes into jersey templates.

giphy.gif

Fuck beans, did someone say Halo?

You gonna get Halo 5? I know I am, but part of me knows the fate that awaits it on my shelf after the first day or two its out.

I'm obligated, but I just know I'm going to beat the campaign in 5 hours, then play 2 hours of MP before I never play it again, just like I did with Halo 4. If they actually fix the MP, I might stick around. I played Reach MP until H4 came out, then H4 crushed whatever hopes I had of a next gen Halo that had great MP.

Reach was the game that started a downturn, not 4. All of the load out and armor ability bullshit, the DMR, which causes too much cross map fire,it really was like a Death Star in your hands. 4 just took what Reach did and ran with it. 3 had problems as well, the BR without hitscan was random garbage. 5 on the other hand is the best Halo has been since CE and 2. The weapon sandbox is fairly well balanced with automatics being more than pea shooters, everyone is on equal starts and there's an emphasis on weapon and map control just how classic Arena shooters should be.The armor abilities in 5 are much better, as everyone has the same abilities and the maps and other mechanics are balanced around it. The Halo 5 beta was really great, I'm excited for the multiplayer.

As for the campaign being beaten in 5 hours, I don't think that's going to be the case. They stated it's double 4's length and the levels are larger environments than what we've seen in previous games. My biggest problem with 4 had to be the corridor level design and hot short the campaign was. 5 seems to be shaping up nicely the squad mechanics seem pretty cool too.

I'm picturing the same for me but if you're in need of a multiplayer partner I'm your man. I can't promise I'll be sober but I'll bring my charming personality that we all know fondly from the golden neogaf EASHL years.

seriously though, hopefully we have a few other NHL GAFers who buy it, I wouldn't mind partying with a rag tag group from this community for some team slayer.

Halo is the only multiplayer game I play these days. It'll be a safe bet I'll be on Halo 5 when it comes out.

You're still on the X1? I'd be down to try and set up some games with some guys in here, it would be more fun losing to you guys then to a 13 year old telling me he fucked my mom. Impressions so far seem to be positive, but I don't trust Bungie anymore. OG Halo MP is still one of the best gaming experiences of my life, so I hope they get back to that formula.

I'd agree on not trusting Bungie, with Reach's multiplayer and then the shit show that was Destiny. The DLC practices for that game are disgusting, the value isn't there. Destiny wasn't a game filled with content to begin with, it leaned on extending the life of the game with grinding, then there was the sorry excuse for the story. They spent too much time looking at how to psychologically keep players playing instead of investing in good gameplay mechanics. The multiplayer felt generic and lacked any balance. The art design and music were the only things I liked about Destiny and then they fired Marty.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Reach was the game that started a downturn, not 4. All of the load out and armor ability bullshit, the DMR, which cause too much cross map fire, 4 just took what Reach did and ran with it. 3 had problems as well, the BR is without hitscan was random garbage. 5 on the other hand is the best Halo has been since CE and 2. The weapon sandbox is fairly well balanced with automatics being more than pea shooters, everyone is on equal starts and there's an emphasis on weapon and map control just how classic Arena shooters should be.The armor abilities here are much better as everyone has the same ones and the maps and other mechanics are balanced around it. The Halo 5 beta was really great, I'm excited for the multiplayer.
I agree completely, I enjoyed the hell out of Reach, but half the time I was bitching about armour lock. It was the beginning of their downfall, but it still had enough of the original Halo in it to make it enjoyable. Halo 4 went full COD and shit on the franchise completely. I say all of this as one of the biggest Halo fans growing up.

Fata1moose said:
As for the campaign being beaten in 5 hours, I don't think that's going to be the case. They stated it's double 4's length and the levels are larger environments than what we've seen in previous games. My biggest problem with 4 had to be the corridor level design and hot short the campaign was. 5 seems to be shaping up nicely the squad mechanics seem pretty cool too.
I like the idea, I really enjoyed Delta Squad when it came out, but from all the footage I've seen, it looks so bland and typical sci fi garbage. It feels like they've reached the point where they're really stretching it and have run out of ideas. Some random Spartan hunting down the Chief as an outlaw? Really?

Fata1moose said:
I'd agree on not trusting Bungie, with Reach's multiplayer and then the shit show that was Destiny. The DLC practices for that game are disgusting, the value isn't there. Destiny wasn't a game filled with content to begin with, it leaned on extending the life of the game with grinding, then there was the sorry excuse for the story. Multiplayer felt generic and lacked and balance. The art design and music were the only things I liked about Destiny and then they fired Marty.
I saw someone link to a Gertsman rant about Destiny in one of the threads a couple months back. It was a perfect description of everything wrong with the game and how much they managed to screw up what could have been a brilliant game.

Marvie_3

Banned
Speaking of gaming magazines, I still have all my old Nintendo Powers and GamePro's from like 1989-1997 or 98. They're all my parents house stored in some magazine boxes so they won't get all messed up. I love flipping through them every few years. The ads are so fucking awesome and all the artwork is hand drawn.
Early Nintendo Power magazines were so cool to page through.

Heretic

I agree completely, I enjoyed the hell out of Reach, but half the time I was bitching about armour lock. It was the beginning of their downfall, but it still had enough of the original Halo in it to make it enjoyable. Halo 4 went full COD and shit on the franchise completely. I say all of this as one of the biggest Halo fans growing up.

I like the idea, I really enjoyed Delta Squad when it came out, but from all the footage I've seen, it looks so bland and typical sci fi garbage. It feels like they've reached the point where they're really stretching it and have run out of ideas. Some random Spartan hunting down the Chief as an outlaw? Really?

I saw someone link to a Gertsman rant about Destiny in one of the threads a couple months back. It was a perfect description of everything wrong with the game and how much they managed to screw up what could have been a brilliant game.

Have you listened to Hunt the Truth?

The campaign didn't demo well, but I'm not too worried about it. E3 demos have to be made with short time constraints, while they are working on the game so they are usually scripted and linear. As for the story, I'm pretty excited after Hunt the Truth, the story premise is more basic, which I don't see as a bad thing it just needs to be executed properly. Master Chief doesn't start out being hunted, so we'll have to see the reason and how it plays out.

It almost seems like an early access game, except you're paying full price and then a lot of exuberant prices for the updates. That game had a lot of potential, I don't see anything redeeming it.

Red_Man

Have you listened to Hunt the Truth?
Nah, the impressions on Gaf I've read on it have been positive, but I don't have much time / patience for podcast or anything audio that requires my attention 100%.

It almost seems like an early access game, except you're paying full price and then a lot of exuberant prices for the updates. That game had a lot of potential, I don't see anything redeeming it.
I actually laughed at the new expansion and how they priced it along with the special edition, it's pretty sad that gaming has reached this point. We all laughed at the horse armor and here we are paying for expansions as full fledged games. I'm surprised and disappointed that Bungie gave into that shit.

Edit: For After Dark NHL Gaf, RIP Desi
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=175783233&posted=1#post175783233

lupinko

I'm motivated to work on my Hockey Sweater lesson, here's a pic of one of the parts so far (the story itself), still in progress. What do you guys think of the sweater placements?

70yq4nxl.jpg

imBask

Banned
Giant Bombcast is still the king of podcasts IMO

I really want to listen to more Super Best Friendcast since they're friends of friend and I want to support them, but they really REALLY need a better setup... that "1 blue yeti in a room full of echo" is terrible

Red_Man

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Hardcore History is the best. Shame it isn't a little more frequent, but that's understandable based on the length and quality.

Jays talk, Podcast talk. Hockey needs to come back!

Added Hardcore History to my Podcast subs.

I like listening to podcasts on commutes and playing some games, I go with The Nerdist, WTF, and Talk is Jericho.

You guys, I only just finished episode 2 of Life is Strange and I have so many feelings.

I wasn't prepared for this.

Kate died because I failed my last dialogue option

Nathan you fuck.

Also since I only got half the optional photos in ep 1, I'm using a spoiler guide so I don't miss any. I don't want to replay the game just to get photo trophies. Am I doing it wrong?

What a game. I'm so glad adventure games aren't dead and SO GLAD that this is what it is. What a fresh incarnation of a, what would be, familiar environment (with a twist) to many college students. And having female leads is AWESOME. So many interesting characters.

Razorskin

----- ------
You guys, I only just finished episode 2 of Life is Strange and I have so many feelings.

Nathan you fuck.

Also since I only got half the optional photos in ep 1, I'm using a spoiler guide so I don't miss any. I don't want to replay the game just to get photo trophies. Am I doing it wrong?

What a game. I'm so glad adventure games aren't dead and SO GLAD that this is what it is. What a fresh incarnation of a, what would be, familiar environment (with a twist) to many college students. And having female leads is AWESOME. So many interesting characters.

That event was tense, I thought I'd lose her but I successfully saved her life. The game only gets better as you go on.

Finish those episodes and painfully wait for the last one like the rest of us.

Montresor made a thread about it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1098041

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Nathan you fuck.

Yup, game is fantastic. I missed a few photos, but i plan on replaying it with different choices.

Dat episode 4 ending!

Pikma

Banned

Nathan you fuck.

Told you.

I'm interested in starting to listen to podcasts during my commute, I'll check it out. Any episodes in particular that you guys recommend which might sell me on it?

Boy that depends. A lot of the time he does subjects that span multiple episodes. He just finished a series on the First World War that was excellent, but it took him more than a year to finish it (each episode is 3 to 5 hours long, and there are 6 of them in the series). Prophets of Doom is a good one off, but Blueprint for Armageddon is amazing, just ridiculously long.

Edit: episodes only stay free for so long, so there are a lot of great episodes in the archives, but they're paid.

Cake Boss

Banned

Nathan you fuck.

I actually just finished episode 1 last night because you guys kept talking about it.

Shit is so hipster, but still so good.

Socreges

Banned
I'm interested in starting to listen to podcasts during my commute, I'll check it out. Any episodes in particular that you guys recommend which might sell me on it?
Read the summaries and start with what interests you. As far as free goes, I think the series are just the Mongols and WWI right now.

His Rome series is fantastic. And I just purchased Ghosts of the Ostfront which I've heard is his best.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Boy that depends. A lot of the time he does subjects that span multiple episodes. He just finished a series on the First World War that was excellent, but it took him more than a year to finish it (each episode is 3 to 5 hours long, and there are 6 of them in the series). Prophets of Doom is a good one off, but Blueprint for Armageddon is amazing, just ridiculously long.

Edit: episodes only stay free for so long, so there are a lot of great episodes in the archives, but they're paid.

Read the summaries and start with what interests you. As far as free goes, I think the series are just the Mongols and WWI right now.

His Rome series is fantastic. And I just purchased Ghosts of the Ostfront which I've heard is his best.

Thanks. I figure I'll go all-in and start with Blueprint for Armageddon.

Let me know what you think of Ghosts of Ostfront if you remember, I'm most interested in moving on to that once I'm done with this first batch.

Merguson

Banned
Giant Bombcast is still the king of podcasts IMO

I really want to listen to more Super Best Friendcast since they're friends of friend and I want to support them, but they really REALLY need a better setup... that "1 blue yeti in a room full of echo" is terrible

I like the Giant Beastcast as well.

Leafs Lunch and Marek vs Wyshynski are the usual hockey fixes for me.

Steve Dangle podcast is mostly Leafs stuff but a lot of random talk as well.

I've checked out other podcasts but I just don't have the time.

zroid

Banned
I've been following three Jays podcasts this summer :lol

i used to listen to a lot of gaming podcasts but i've mostly lost interest in them. I don't listen to it anymore (b/c of time mostly) but I used to enjoy The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe.

I've been following three Jays podcasts this summer :lol

i used to listen to a lot of gaming podcasts but i've mostly lost interest in them. I don't listen to it anymore (b/c of time mostly) but I used to enjoy The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe.

I used to love it but Rebecca became too much for me.

Socreges

Banned
Ghosts is really good. I wish he had a podcast just focusing on WWI and WWII.
Was listening to his other podcast last night (Common Sense to the uninitiated, his current events one) and he was talking about how time-consuming the process is becoming as 'listenership' increases. Sounds like he's going to cut back on Common Sense when he's doing HH series. He was saying it took him a while to switch between them and get in the right head space. So, good thing, though I enjoy Common Sense.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Was listening to his other podcast last night (Common Sense to the uninitiated, his current events one) and he was talking about how time-consuming the process is becoming as 'listenership' increases. Sounds like he's going to cut back on Common Sense when he's doing HH series. He was saying it took him a while to switch between them and get in the right head space. So, good thing, though I enjoy Common Sense.

Yeah, I listened to that too.

Common Sense I decent. Definitely not as good as HH. Guess also depends on preference.

Nathan you fuck.

I need to play this. Both of Dontnod's games look great, but haven't had the chance to play them yet :/ I haven't played an adventure game in years...last was Hotel Dusk I think?

fallout

Thanks. I figure I'll go all-in and start with Blueprint for Armageddon.
I would caution that an issue with Blueprint for Armageddon is that WW1 was complicated, which makes it difficult to discuss with its many weaving narrative threads. Carlin does a pretty great job, given the material, but I still found it easy to get lost. It probably didn't help that my WW1 knowledge was not fantastic (outside of the basics) prior to listening.

Top Bottom