• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT2| What are the Odds of Hockey in Vegas?

Cake Boss

Banned
LIS <3

life_is_strange_tre_flip_2_by_digi_matrix-d8g1bor.gif

Montresor

Agreed Schuey. Episode 3 starts at
night
, so if you reach Episode 3 then the title screen when you boot the game up
shows a shot of the forest/beach of Arcadia Bay at night, crickets chirping and all

Pikma

Banned
Some McDavid news for Oilers-GAF. Pikma, I know you're dying for some news about the Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club of Edmonton, Alberta, which you are definitely a fan of.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/spor...nsure+McDavid+good+living/11314184/story.html

McDavid might be living with Ferrence. Probably a good idea.
oh man the Oilers, I've actually attended more Oilers games
than Stars games
in the last two years, so yeah I guess I'm hardcore. If they somehow find a way to eliminate the Kings again this season I'm gonna change my username to PikMcDavid

Hurricanes' Staal doesn't expect extension by camp

Carolina Hurricanes captain Eric Staal said Monday he is likely to begin training camp entering the final year of his contract.

"[I'm] kind of waiting to see how it's going to play out here in the next while," Staal told the News & Observer. "I haven't given it a ton of thought, or time, as of right now. I'm focused on having a good finish to training for the summer and getting ready for the start of camp."

Staal, 31 on Oct. 29, will make $9.5 million this season, with an NHL salary-cap charge of $8.25 million, in the final year of a seven-year, $57.7 million contract he signed prior to the 2009 season, according to war-on-ice.com.

Last season, Staal led Carolina with 54 points (23 goals, 31 assists) in 77 games, his fewest points in a full season since his rookie year of 2003-04.

"I've had a general and open and honest conversation with Eric's agent on things," Hurricanes general manager Ron Francis said June 27. "We'll continue to have those as we move into the summer. Eric has indicated he wants to be part of the Hurricanes moving forward, and we'll see if we can get that worked out."

Staal has played 11 seasons with the Hurricanes and helped them win the Stanley Cup in 2006. He has 312 goals and 742 points in 846 NHL games

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=777532
MB.

Do your thing.

Also: Flames Mark Giordano signed for 6 years

Two accounts are against the TOS!! D: you wouldn't do that.

Camwi stole your proper avatar and changed yours to some silly wrestling one.

???? What??. I'm seriously confused right now. Wait which Yakuza Thread?

calder

I was sitting here bored and snapped to attention because I remembered that Pronman added his Central Division teams today! Woo!

After ranking the top 100 NHL prospects for 2015-16, and ranking each team by organizational depth, ESPN Insider Corey Pronman ranks the top 10 prospects for each NHL team. Here is his entry for the Winnipeg Jets. Extended write-ups on prospects ranked in the top 100 can be accessed here.

The Jets are well represented on my top prospects board -- with five skaters in my top 100, as well as the No. 5 goalie -- and have developed one of the best farm systems in the NHL.

Top 10 Jets Prospects

Note: Number in parentheses is overall prospect rank
Rank Name, Pos
1 Nikolaj Ehlers, LW (9)
2 Nic Petan, C (25)
3 Kyle Connor, LW (30)
4 Josh Morrissey, D (32)
5 Jack Roslovic, RW (90)
6 Connor Hellebuyck, G (5G)
7 Joel Armia, RW
8 Brendan Lemieux, LW
9 Michael Spacek, RW
10 Andrew Copp, C

Acquired as part of the Evander Kane blockbuster last season, Brendan Lemieux (son of longtime NHLer Claude Lemieux) scored 40 goals in the OHL this past season. He's not an overly flashy player, but his speed is solid, he has above-average skill and he has a great, two-way work ethic. Lemieux gets to the front of the net very well and can be a handful for defenders to box out.

In contrast, Michael Spacek is a flashy and exciting offensive player. He sees the ice at a very high level, which makes him dangerous when he sets up with space. He's an agile skater who can be quite elusive and make defenders miss. Spacek plays the game with energy and good work ethic, but overall, his physical game is less than impressive, and he doesn't look all that imposing when he engages in puck battles.

Andrew Copp is a fantastic north-south, in-your-face type of forward with high-end speed who projects to be a quality defensive forward as a pro with some offense to chip in. Hockey sense is Jansen Harkin's (11th) best trait, as he is patient, anticipates the play well, has good vision and is creative with the puck. He has the pure skill level to score, as well as the grit and frame to kill penalties effectively. His skating isn't necessarily a giant hole in his game, but his stride is a little awkward.

Chase De Leo (12th) and Eric Comrie (13th) are guys I have to mention, as well. I was impressed with De Leo's game this past season because of his talent and versatility. I don't think I've ever seen him take over a game, but he's a consistent positive factor because of his above-average speed, work ethic, skill and two-way hockey sense. His size is the major knock.

Comrie is an athletic goalie with impressive hockey sense, and he is a tough competitor for loose pucks. His technical details could be tightened up to limit low-percentage goals.

Noteworthy prospect

One of the main pieces in the Kane deal, Joel Armia was a late cut of mine from the top 100 after a, frankly, disastrous second half, with eight points in 21 AHL games following his trade from Buffalo to the Jets. His skill level is elite, and he's a big man, as well, but there have always been huge inconsistencies in his game in terms of his play off the puck and overall decision-making. As he enters his age-22 season, one has to wonder if he'll ever really round out his game to take the next step forward.

2015-16 impact

Here's where it gets interesting, as the ascendant Jets will have some tough calls to make. Goaltender Connor Hellebuyck is ready for the NHL, but with goalies, it's always a matter of there being only two spots on the big club, and it depends how the camp process plays out. The Jets' top prospects -- Nikolaj Ehlers, Nic Petan and Josh Morrissey -- should all be competitive during camp to make the team, particularly Ehlers. Copp could also be in the mix as a midseason injury call-up.

There are no other worthy/interesting teams in the Central I don't think, so I guess my copy pasta is done.

calder

Lets' see who can guess what other Central teams Pronman is talking about (excluding the Jets obviously):

The ________system has seen a ton of graduations in recent years, and while there is still some talent left -- most of its top 10 prospects are players with upside -- there is also notable uncertainty on the players' projections.

The highlight of the ______ system is a pair of high-end forwards. They have great depth on defense, though I wouldn't categorize any of the prospects as truly high-end at this point.

________'s system remains solid despite an underwhelming 2015 draft class and the graduation of _________. They have a deep pipeline with many quality prospects, including an elite one in _____, who was signed as a free agent.

The ________' system has seen some ebb and flow due to the progression of top prospects such as____ and ____ among others, while some early-round picks like _____ and _____ trend toward bust territory. They've also had some graduations from their pipeline as well.

The _____ system has depth and quality even with the graduation of ______, led by my [top 15] overall prospect ___, and my [top 5] goalie, ____.

The ______ system has shown notable progression in the past year because of trades and a very solid 2015 draft class. The pipeline is very thin in depth, as shown this past season when relying on call-ups such as _______. However, the top of the group is pretty decent; the low system rank [lower third] is due to the fact the floor falls out too quickly.

If one person can slot those teams using just that I'd be impressed. Two of them are obvious, one of them I'd feel fairly good about but the other two are so generic I'd have to just guess.

zroid

Banned
Lets' see who can guess what other Central teams Pronman is talking about (excluding the Jets obviously):

If one person can slot those teams using just that I'd be impressed.

not sure about most of them but these are my guesses:

1. Minnesota
2. Dallas
3. Chicago
4. Nashville
5. St Louis
6. Colorado

How old will he be at the end of his contract tho

I forgot it was an extension, so he'd be 32 when it kicks in and 38 when the contract ends. With max-length he'll be 40. I suppose going that long would be a bit unreasonable.

Comparables:
Weber, 30, 11 years left (old CBA though)
Suter, 30, 10 years left (old CBA)
Chara, 38, 3 years left (higher cap hit)
Boychuk, 31, 7 years left
Keith, 32, 8 years left (old CBA)

calder

not sure about most of them but these are my guesses:

1. Minnesota
2. Dallas
3. Chicago
4. Nashville
5. St Louis
6. Colorado

yes
_no
yes
_no
_no
yes

Yeah it was pretty tough, I should have left the player rankings in to make a couple of them less vague.

The actual answers:

1 Wild
The Minnesota system has seen a ton of graduations in recent years, and while there is still some talent left -- most of its top 10 prospects are players with upside -- there is also notable uncertainty on the players' projections.

2 Blues
The highlight of the Blues' system is a pair of high-end forwards. They have great depth on defense, though I wouldn't categorize any of the prospects as truly high-end at this point.

3 Hawks
Chicago's system remains solid despite an underwhelming 2015 draft class and the graduation of Teuvo Teravainen. They have a deep pipeline with many quality prospects, including an elite one in Artemi Panarin, who was signed as a free agent.

4 Stars
"The Stars' system has seen some ebb and flow due to the progression of top prospects such as Julius Honka and Esa Lindell among others, while some early-round picks like Jack Campbell and Radek Faksa trend toward bust territory. They've also had some graduations from their pipeline as well."

5 Preds
"The Nashville system has depth and quality even with the graduation of Filip Forsberg, led by my No. 11 overall prospect Kevin Fiala, and my No. 3 goalie, Juuse Saros."

6 Avs
"The Avs' system has shown notable progression in the past year because of trades and a very solid 2015 draft class. The pipeline is very thin in depth, as shown this past season when relying on call-ups such as Borna Rendulic. However, the top of the group is pretty decent; the low system rank (25th) is due to the fact the floor falls out too quickly."

If anyone wants to know a specific team I can paste it too, my effort at a quiz turned out to be more work than just doing every team. ;)

Cindro

I seriously have zero clue as to the credibility of either of these sources (I came across them both on reddit), but I figured they were worth a mention anyway.

Seismic Rumblings

On the Kane front, I am not at liberty to share the specifics of some of what I am hearing (similar and different details from all three sources—but none contradictory). But what I am hearing consistently is that there is a very real possibility Kane has played his last game in a Hawk sweater, or if he does play in Chicago this season, it will not be for long.

RUMOR: Patrick Kane Will Not Be Charged With Rape

Sports Mockery has received two different pieces of information, from separate sources with knowledge of the investigation, that indicate Patrick Kane will not be charged “at this time” with rape due to lack of evidence. This information has not been verified by the Buffalo News, Hamburg Police Department or the Erie County District Attorney’s Office.

At this point, it can be considered a rumor from reliable sources.

calder

I just love the thought of someone with actual access to privileged insider info being like "who should I give this crazy scoop too? ESPN? Deadspin? TSN? No wait, it's gotta be Sports Mockery!"

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I just love the thought of someone with actual access to privileged insider info being like "who should I give this crazy scoop too? ESPN? Deadspin? TSN? No wait, it's gotta be Sports Mockery!"
:lol seriously

Cake Boss

Banned
lol so one rumour says chicago is kicking him out and one that says he isn't even getting charged cuz of lack evidence.

WHO TO BELIVE!!!

Cindro

lol so one rumour says chicago is kicking him out and one that says he isn't even getting charged cuz of lack evidence.

WHO TO BELIVE!!!
Well, the article saying Chicago is giving him the boot goes on to specify that they'll oust him regardless of the legal verdict. Court of public opinion and all that.

I'm not used to hockey rumors though - has anyone even heard of either of those two sites? Does anyone know if they've had credible insider info in the past?

Pikma

Banned
Weird. On my phone it looks like this:

4rWdBU6.jpg

And here:

eB55WJX.jpg
It's a glitch. It has happened to me before and there was also a thread a few days ago of a guy saying his avatar was somehow replaced with a picture of a skeleton, but he was the only one that could see it :lol

Top Bottom