• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT2| What are the Odds of Hockey in Vegas?

On the verge of losing everything. Break is not going well and no more job. Not really sure what I'm gonna do and for whatever reason we've got a weird family here so I figured I'd share.

What's your training / work experience? Surely the collected brains of GAF's 3rd best community thread can come up with something.

19 & 21 I know it's no consolation but if you want to move to small town (26k) Minnesota, I can pretty much guarantee you a factory job with good benefits + ~$15-25 an hour.

And unrelated, but are we doing a gaf fantasy hockey league this year?

Sanjuro

Sounds like 19 & 21, you are in the same boat as me. Don't you have another semester though?

I just finished my undergrads, but I'm in a field which I'm unfamiliar with and don't know where to start. Almost at the breaking point! Thank god for alcohol, the cause of, and the solution to all life's problems.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
19 & 21 I know it's no consolation but if you want to move to small town (26k) Minnesota, I can pretty much guarantee you a factory job with good benefits + ~$15-25 an hour.

And unrelated, but are we doing a gaf fantasy hockey league this year?

how cold is it

and for sure... who organized that last year again?

Sounds like 19 & 21, you are in the same boat as me. Don't you have another semester though?

I just finished my undergrads, but I'm in a field which I'm unfamiliar with and don't know where to start.

how does this work?

Sanjuro

how cold is it

how does this work?

No experience. The job field is sort of all over the place, most of it seems to be selective on the job learning.

It's basically a combination of management (which I'm familiar with) and IT solutions.

Smiley90

No I mean, how is the field you graduated in one you'r unfamiliar with? Like, that's what you take classes for I presume. Like why are the jobs IT-heavy when your degree isn't, I'm sure there's other jobs/were IT courses?

Sanjuro

No I mean, how is the field you graduated in one you'r unfamiliar with? Like, that's what you take classes for I presume. Like why are the jobs IT-heavy when your degree isn't, I'm sure there's other jobs/were IT courses?

Classes doesn't always translate to real work. There are also different levels of IT, so it's kind of finding that perfect fit.

Samyy

Classes doesn't always translate to real work. There are also different levels of IT, so it's kind of finding that perfect fit.

Yea this is true for lots of fields Smiley, in accounting it's the same thing, the actual doing the job part is way different from learning concepts in the classroom. I had done a ton of accounting classes and still had no idea what the hell I was doing in my part-time bookkeeping gig, it was pretty stressful.

Smiley90

Of course, but I still feel like classes should at least teach you some of the foundations... otherwise they'd be wholly useless.

I mean, in natural sciences it's the same, job work includes wetlab and during you're undergrad you have jack shit of wetlab experience.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
19&21, I'll echo what Dastardly said and try not to fall into monotony. Which is really fucking hard and something that I'm really struggling with.

We're here for you. <3

Sanjuro

Of course, but I still feel like classes should at least teach you some of the foundations... otherwise they'd be wholly useless.

I mean, in natural sciences it's the same, job work includes wetlab and during you're undergrad you have jack shit of wetlab experience.

That's why a ton of people argue college is useless. Out of school for almost a decade, I went for the piece of paper, loose women, and whatever meaningful professors I could try and absorb.

19&21 don't get too down, mane. Just go for a long walk/ run during the day. When I was in a similar place it did help me mentally just to get out and run for a couple miles.

Also if you are still in school our recently out get with some of your professors or department head and ask if they know someone for a job. Just try to keep busy.

how cold is it

Approaches 0 in Fahrenheit at times, but most of the time the coldest is single digits for a day or two. Low double digits for most of the winter.

In Celsius, I think that's somewhere between -10 and 0? for most of the winter.

And no idea for who organized fantasy hockey.

Quick

Banned
I'll echo the advice everyone has given here. Give yourself some time to think things through. You'll figure things out eventually. It might take a lot of time, but you'll get there.

iLLmAtlc

On the verge of losing everything. Break is not going well and no more job. Not really sure what I'm gonna do and for whatever reason we've got a weird family here so I figured I'd share.

Can't add much to what's already been said, but I'm sending some well wishes.

Foggy

PUNK

ASS

BITCH

tumblr_msvb1sXfVX1rmgz8no1_400.gif

Appreciate it man but it'd essentially be me getting off the plane and getting right back on. I ain't got shit. I'm living at my grandma's place in BFE because of the break, no car, completely isolated. No options. Fuck me.

Hang tough, 19 & 21, you're one of the good dudes. Good things happen to good dudes. Listen to music that makes you happy. Get nostalgic. Go for a run. Look at a potential clean slate. Let yourself allow good things to happen.

The best perspective I can give is that when there are no good options available, that means you can't fuck up. You just pick a road, you go down the road, and you do what's right for you. Unless that involves anime, you should be fine.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Hey 19&21, I heard you were going through a rough patch and could use a little pick me up.

That means only one thing… BRING IT IN, GUYS!!!

*every character from every game, comic, cartoon, TV show, movie, and book reality come in with everything for a HUGE party*

Pikma

Banned
Let's post some anime GIFs, I'm sure that'll make him feel better

Edit: go fuck yourselves all you fake cats, you suck, your canine overlords will not forget this.

Top Bottom