• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT2| What are the Odds of Hockey in Vegas?

There's no reason not to offer the lowest if you're the org, and ask for the highest if you're the player.

Worst scenario is Bernier gets disgruntled and asks to be traded, which for the Leafs at this point in the Reconstruction Era is totally fine.

fallout

I'm a bit late on the Voracek discussion, but I think the money is fine. He's been putting up great numbers. What I think is shitty is the term.

How good will it look by the time he's 30? If he's still producing at the same rate, it'll only look okay, even with contract inflation and expected cap increase. If he falls off, it'll be another buyout. The gamble on that seems like it's not worth it for the Flyers.

zroid

Banned
I'm a bit late on the Voracek discussion, but I think the money is fine. He's been putting up great numbers. What I think is shitty is the term.

How good will it look by the time he's 30? If he's still producing at the same rate, it'll only look okay, even with contract inflation and expected cap increase. If he falls off, it'll be another buyout. The gamble on that seems like it's not worth it for the Flyers.

i basically agree with this

with very few exceptions, I think 7-8 years of term is a very risky proposition for UFAs. however, from the Flyers' perspective I understand them wanting to lock him down because he is not really replaceable at this point in his career, and a different team would definitely have offered a 7 year contract if he went to free agency.

it's tough.

Curufinwe

So the Flyers should have traded him? Because there would have been teams lining up to give a 26 year old Voracek a 7 or 8 year deal. There's no way he would have accepted less than that term.

Giving his skating ability there's every reason to think he can be productive into his 30s the way Hossa has been. It was only a few seasons ago that 28 year old Zach Parise got a 14-year contract.

Are you worried about Kessel falling off and being bought out? Because he'll be 34 when his deal expires, just like Voracek.

fallout

So the Flyers should have traded him? Because there would have been teams lining up to give a 26 year old Voracek a 7 or 8 year deal. There's no way he would have accepted less than that term.
I think this is the biggest thing at play. In order to keep a guy you really want, then yeah, you might have to make a deal. No contract exists in a vacuum like we look at them, but I think it would be worthwhile for GMs to look around the league at a lot of the long-term contracts that have been made and how many buyouts have resulted.

Giving his skating ability there's every reason to think he can be productive into his 30s the way Hossa has been. It was only a few seasons ago that 28 year old Zach Parise got a 14-year contract.
To be clear, this isn't a knock against Voracek. I think there's a chance that he'll be productive into his 30s, but given how players tend to fall off (on average), I'm questioning whether it's worth the risk.

Are you worried about Kessel falling off and being bought out? Because he'll be 34 when his deal expires, just like Voracek.
Well, I don't really care if Kessel falls off since I don't follow the Penguins, but I think Kessel's deal is also a gamble. I think all of these deals over 5 years are big gambles that in many cases, don't make sense in terms of the potential payoffs. The only real exception is when a team signs someone to a long-term contract, but at an amount far below their expected worth. That rarely happens, though.

tumblr_mx1th6hDZn1qc0ctfo2_500.gif

tumblr_mx1th6hDZn1qc0ctfo1_500.gif

Curufinwe

I think this is the biggest thing at play. In order to keep a guy you really want, then yeah, you might have to make a deal. No contract exists in a vacuum like we look at them, but I think it would be worthwhile for GMs to look around the league at a lot of the long-term contracts that have been made and how many buyouts have resulted.

To be clear, this isn't a knock against Voracek. I think there's a chance that he'll be productive into his 30s, but given how players tend to fall off (on average), I'm questioning whether it's worth the risk.

An 8 year deal for a star player in his 20s is definitely worth the risk when the alternative is losing them. That's why Anaheim signed Getzlaf and Perry, Chicago signed Kane and Toews, Boston resigned Bergeron, and why I think TB will re-sign Stamkos and LA will re-sign Kopitar. You can't be a true contender if you let your best players leave.

calder

What the actual fuck AA.

*bows*

No idea if this shit will work out but if it fails at least he'll get fired with his head held high lol.

ShaneB

My round of golf was fairly awful, the course was fairly bland as well. Some good shots here and there, maybe I'll look into new clubs, the ones I'm using I've had for 14 or 15 years it seems.

Quick

Banned
No Quick, you can't relocate the Jets there.

If I become Commissioner of the NHL, I'm going to do the following:

• Relocate the Jets
  • Then fold the team
  • If your team isn't sold out every night, it's getting relocated to Winnipeg
  • Then I'll fold that team immediately

Pikma

Banned

• Relocate the Jets
  • Then fold the team

Can't wait to see the Winnipeg Coyotes to exist for a brief moment

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

• Relocate the Jets
  • Then fold the team

Winnipeg: where teams go to die under Quick's regime.

• Relocate the Jets
  • Then fold the team

But what if this backfires and the Leafs get sent to Winnipeg

Top Bottom